PDA

View Full Version : server player rankings?

Tudana
04-01-2010, 04:21 PM
Are there any plans to build anything like this from anyone?

like http://www.eqrankings.com/ or magelos.
Is it possible to do one here on emo?

YendorLootmonkey
04-01-2010, 04:29 PM
Well, some sort of objective ranking system wouldn't be very much fun now, would it? Let's just hash out who's better than who right here in this thread and then rank accordingly!! Ready... go!

anthony210
04-01-2010, 04:30 PM
Obviously I am #1

Ferok
04-01-2010, 04:30 PM
It's probably possible to do on the client side with some work, but I don't think you'll see it as output from the server database any time soon. I'm sure the devs aren't too concerned with this.

But as mentioned, you could probably create something to extract data from local files.. or even modify Magelo's tool to do it for you. If you had the desire, anyway.

Mordachai
04-01-2010, 05:18 PM
as long as i'm higher than Yendor we're good!

snifs
04-01-2010, 06:05 PM
Xosire is #1

Crone
04-01-2010, 06:13 PM
I think it was Rogean who asked in game not too long ago about how people would like a Magelo type system. Most people that spammed /ooc wanted it. :)

YendorLootmonkey
04-01-2010, 06:23 PM
as long as i'm higher than Yendor we're good!

Keep smokin' what you're smokin' and you will be ;)

PearlJammzz
04-01-2010, 06:53 PM
Magelo would be nice, but in the end worthless, and not 'classic' if you want to use that argument. I'd rather see more dev time to broken quests/pathing/game mechanics/etc. Nice, sure, but not till everything else is polished.

Pheer
04-01-2010, 08:51 PM
Magelo would be nice, but in the end worthless, and not 'classic' if you want to use that argument. I'd rather see more dev time to broken quests/pathing/game mechanics/etc. Nice, sure, but not till everything else is polished.

its already coded, peq uses it

projecteq.net/magelo

Izzni
04-01-2010, 09:09 PM
Maybe we could have a UI that gives you a gearscore in game that you can them use as a requirement for pug groups and raids. Oh, and you could measure your e cock with it too.

karsten
04-01-2010, 09:11 PM
greatest and nicest helpful person: karsten

Uaellaen
04-01-2010, 09:47 PM
the sad thing, you prolly could even realise such an UI :p

Secrets
04-01-2010, 11:33 PM
its already coded, peq uses it

projecteq.net/magelo

projecteq.net/tonsofsqlinjectionbs

Pheer
04-01-2010, 11:55 PM
projecteq.net/tonsofsqlinjectionbs

projecteq.net/stfumeanface

stormlord
04-02-2010, 01:27 AM
I'm all for showing a public list of class distribution (i made a thread about it here in Server Chat), but I'm against ranking players. The problem with rankings is that you end up playing solely for that reason alone. People end up playing way too much when they're trying to be #1 on the rankings list. I don't know about others, but I think competition of that sort brings out the worst in people (min/max).

Granted, if yer a company and want to make $$$, rankings are the best method to get people addicted.

guineapig
04-02-2010, 07:46 AM
Rankings based on gear and stats is just about the dumbest thing I have ever heard.
I can't even begin to mention all the reasons it's flawed. Don't waste any dev time on this.

Tudana
04-02-2010, 07:59 AM
I was always thought that when grouping/raiding your stats was part of it, and part of old eq...as a lv 5 monk last night in Crushbone, before I was even grouped, I was asked what my HP/AC was...lol.."ermm....144/156 buffed!!"

But I didnt mind, it does make me consider the gear I am collecting and how I play my role in a group/solo.

YendorLootmonkey
04-02-2010, 09:39 AM
Level/stats/items are part of it, but another part of it is knowing your class and knowing the game mechanics. No server ranking system will ever be able to measure that.

I'd rather group/raid with a level 45 dude with mediocre equipment that knows how to play, than a level 50 dude with uber equipment that can't play for shit. I'm pretty sure everyone feels the same way. :)

Izzni
04-02-2010, 09:53 AM
But the level 50 dude with uber equipment has a 5500GS, and does 5k dps!

Tudana
04-02-2010, 10:43 AM
Level/stats/items are part of it, but another part of it is knowing your class and knowing the game mechanics. No server ranking system will ever be able to measure that.

I'd rather group/raid with a level 45 dude with mediocre equipment that knows how to play, than a level 50 dude with uber equipment that can't play for shit. I'm pretty sure everyone feels the same way. :)

very good point.

YendorLootmonkey
04-02-2010, 12:12 PM
But the level 50 dude with uber equipment has a 5500GS, and does 5k dps!

Which is an effective DPS of zero if he's dead all the time because he can't pull right or wipes the group because he keeps smacking mezzed mobs or whatever other trainwreck his lack of skill will eventually cause. :)

Ektar
04-02-2010, 03:02 PM
When I play my cleric I'll ask the tank how much hp he has.. but that's just for CH vs Sup heal purposes. It's only later that I judge you =p

Ferok
04-02-2010, 03:09 PM
When I play my cleric I'll ask the tank how much hp he has.. but that's just for CH vs Sup heal purposes. It's only later that I judge you =p

What a novel idea. It was all too often on live that I felt the urge to instruct a cleric on who to cheal (me).

Hasbinbad
04-02-2010, 03:26 PM
#1 Krumper on p99: Hasbinbad
http://www.pulp.co.nz/image.php?size=478&file=images-listings/original/eR73nJtRKQt3IIM9gRKPHimage.jpeg

Yinaltin
04-02-2010, 04:21 PM
i know that clown . its krusty !

Loke
04-02-2010, 05:04 PM
I think people clearly meant a ranking system on measurable stats, and not "skill" or other subjective factors. I mean, you can't measure how good a player is at playing since play style is a matter of opinion, so why would anyone even bring that up in this post? Thats like me strolling in here and assuming what they really want is a ranking system that evaluates us by how yummy we think cookies are...

Hasbinbad
04-02-2010, 05:24 PM
I think people clearly meant a ranking system on measurable stats
Soo, some rogue would be higher in rank than me coz he has 189+ str? That's kinda dumb coz 188 is the best option given availability of shaman buffs..

Ferok
04-02-2010, 05:28 PM
Soo, some rogue would be higher in rank than me coz he has 189+ str? That's kinda dumb coz 188 is the best option given availability of shaman buffs..

I believe Magelo was sorted on HP by default.

guineapig
04-02-2010, 05:32 PM
Purely to compare stats, resists, hp and mana I completely agree withyou in order to have benchmarks to shoot for. The only problem with that is the fact that we are dealing with classic vanilla eq gear. Just about everybody I know has at least a bag or 2 of different gear that they use for different purposes.

Sure I can get my charisma or magic resist up super high but it comes at the cost of a ton of hitpoints and mana. In modern eq each item has like a bijillion of each stat so u only swap out to permanently upgrade. Long story short, it can be useful but we will most likely end up seeing extremely unrealistic stats on the charts.

YendorLootmonkey
04-04-2010, 02:33 AM
I think people clearly meant a ranking system on measurable stats, and not "skill" or other subjective factors. I mean, you can't measure how good a player is at playing since play style is a matter of opinion, so why would anyone even bring that up in this post? Thats like me strolling in here and assuming what they really want is a ranking system that evaluates us by how yummy we think cookies are...

Similarly, ranking players by measurable stats would be as useful as ranking people by how yummy they think cookies are. Ranking highest by stats if you aren't a good player of your class and/or the game means nothing, so why bother with it at all?

Ferok
04-04-2010, 09:44 AM
Similarly, ranking players by measurable stats would be as useful as ranking people by how yummy they think cookies are. Ranking highest by stats if you aren't a good player of your class and/or the game means nothing, so why bother with it at all?

People are still interested, even if you aren't.

YendorLootmonkey
04-04-2010, 12:31 PM
Yup, and that will perpetuate the sort of people who perma-camp mobs and leapfrog raid targets, etc. to not only get the uber gear for themselves but to deprive everyone else of it just so they can rank #1 on some goofy website to increase the size of their e-peen. I dunno about you, but that's one aspect of EQ I don't care to re-live, and from the looks of some of the threads on the forum, it's happening already. All over again. Some things never change. :) oh well!