PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: Sneak skill failure

Vohl
10-08-2011, 02:13 PM
Monk Sneak has always worked 100% upon reaching 100 Skill on the live servers. On Red99, however, skill still fails frequently, even with a skill of 113.

Edit: Relevant link:

http://www.monkly-business.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8889&highlight=sneak

From a post dated 09-25-2000:
"Sneak does cap at 113 (throwing was raised to 200), but once sneak hit master, I do not recall it failing on me. My primary monk has a sneak of 106 or 107 and it always works, just like mend...woohoo."

jilena
10-11-2011, 05:38 PM
If it's failing frequently I would say that it should be reviewed to fail less. I don't feel like that guy's post that he doesn't remember it failing is concrete proof that it's a 100% chance.

I have no personal experience with this skill but I could have sworn all hide/sneak had some tiny chance to fail. Any rogues want to comment on this? If sneak worked 100% over 100 for monks I would assume the same would apply to rogues. Rogean played a rogue on live, maybe he can shed some light.

Vohl
10-12-2011, 12:07 PM
I had extensive experience with Monk Sneak on Brell Serilis. Like Mend, it never failed upon reaching skill 100. Monks don't get Hide; Rogue skills may well have worked differently. FDing behind a KoS mob, hitting Sneak, and standing up always worked.

By comparison, it fails about 1 in 6 or 7 times on Red99. This is clearly different than my experience, and that of the poster on monkly-business. In short, the failure rate needs to be adjusted to fail less than once every ten years of play once it hits 100.

Lord Adamyte
11-02-2011, 02:37 PM
I still get fails quite frequently on P99 as well, so probably isn't Red99 specific.

Vohl
12-09-2011, 06:37 PM
Yeah, this could probably be moved to the standard Bugs forum.

Regarding comments about the linked thread as evidence - keep in mind that the thread was written back in 2000. It's a far cry different for me to say in 2011 that I don't remember Sneak ever failing past 100 skill, and a player writing a monk skill guide as he's playing on the actual classic server saying that he can't remember it ever failing after skill 100.

All articles ever written by players are observations and memories of play, with the notable exception of parser analysis. I'd suggest that since Sneak hasn't ever been patched in any way that affects success rate, the way it works now in Sony EQ is very likely the way it always has worked - that is, the way that I and the linked post's author remember it working. Simply stated, monk Sneak should not fail upon reaching a skill of 100.