PDA

View Full Version : Quest Issue: Rain Caller

Taluvill
03-31-2010, 04:46 AM
Wanted to do my rangers Rain Caller tonight, but guess its not happening.

Was wondering if/when its going to be fixed/implemented? Haynar responded to my post in server chat awhile back saying its gonna be implemented.

Rain Caller (http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=2673)

Quest: Rain Caller (http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=92)

Also, The item currently is a clicky proc, but thats not how it was originally, and this poster is backing me up. It was a proc:

RE: comparison shopping
Posted: Jul 10th 2006 12:43pm | Edited: Jul 10th 2006 1:02pm | IP: Logged | Reply to this
AmerilDannodel
37 posts
Score: Decent
Gindorn wrote:
They create Quests that are great at first then they nerf them so most people won't bother with them....That's just stupid.

Technically, they didn't nerf anything. The Rain Caller quest, in its inception, was an epic weapon quest, after a sort. It was the best bow available to rangers, at the time.

However, as new expansions were released, new items that were bigger and better came about, and obviously replaced previous items. Hell, end-game gear from the original world isn't even considered good enough to be called twink gear for a fresh character, anymore (as is evident with this bow, even). The point of the matter is that at one point in time, not only was this "the sh*t", but it was what was available. That's like hitting max level, and then complaining Rusty weapons are taking up valuable item space because they're worthless. The problem is that in creating new, valid content, old content will become...dismissable. It's still a great quest, and maybe the reward isn't worth it since you can just toss a bit of plat at someone in the Bazaar for something that's exponentially better, stat-wise, but the real reward of doing a quest is the feeling of accomplishment you get when you hold the item, knowing you worked for it. Whether holding it is to stuff it in your bank, or to equip it is up to you. :P

Everything has its place...before you bash an item, you should consider the era it came from...talking about it 6 years after the fact doesn't mean it was ALWAYS a "stupid piece of junk."

Yes, they did nerf the bow itself (by changing the proc to a charged clicky)...beyond lacking sufficient reason for doing so, technically, it wasn't a nerf to anyone but those on the progression servers, anyway (since, obviously no one is going to use this on any other server). Maybe they felt the bow was too powerful in its original design, but never bothered changing it by the time they decided it should be, since it had already become outdated because it was a "stupid piece of junk".

The Thunderbolt is a great bow, yes, but...apples and oranges, my friend.
Apples and oranges.

Edited, Jul 10th 2006 at 12:02pm EDT by AmerilDannodel
----------------------------
nyteshayd wrote:
Just out of curiosity, why does my skill window in EQ show the skill Hand to Hand if there are no hand to hand weapons that I can equip?

So you can punch stuff.

The fact that they did it way after the fact is kinda dumb as well, but originally it was a proc.

Would love to be able to get this !!! = D

Somekid123
03-31-2010, 05:07 AM
It was changed to a proc for a reason, 350 DD on a bow is way too OP for classic. Its no different then when rogues were running around with a 15 damage off hand weapon from Blackburrow.

Everything is so strictly classic like, such as pet buffs no longer showing durations, why show mercy to an item like this, which can be game changing dps wise?

Keeping class/race penaltys? Might as well keep this to a clickie and not a proc.

Ferok
03-31-2010, 11:00 AM
It was changed to a proc for a reason, 350 DD on a bow is way too OP for classic. Its no different then when rogues were running around with a 15 damage off hand weapon from Blackburrow.

Everything is so strictly classic like, such as pet buffs no longer showing durations, why show mercy to an item like this, which can be game changing dps wise?

Keeping class/race penaltys? Might as well keep this to a clickie and not a proc.

I think you have this backwards.

guineapig
03-31-2010, 12:08 PM
I would much rather have a proc than a clicky with limited charges.
And if we are going by classic it should be a proc on this server.
It's the least we can do for the most underused class on the server.

Taluvill
03-31-2010, 03:04 PM
PLEASE keep it a proc.

100% agree with guinea.

Somekid, you do look a bit backwards hehe

Taluvill
04-06-2010, 01:42 AM
Hate to do this, but bump.

Been killing gorillas in Cazic Thule every few days trying to get the quest piece to drop...

would like to see if the quest at least has any plans on being worked on so i know if i need to stop trying and give up on it ?

Aeshe
04-06-2010, 01:06 PM
I have three problems with this quest. The 10 unstacked fuzzlecutter formulas will not combine in the tonic crate for me. Secondly the enchanter in Felwhite will not respond to any of the quest prompts. (This is not to big of a deal since it is not required) And third the gorillas don't drop hair. I haven't tried killing the mermaid yet since not important when the easy parts are not working. Is this quest going to be fixed? Wish I had known this was bugged before I worked my fletching up and made a true shot longbow =(

lamruil
04-06-2010, 06:52 PM
Yeah without Rain Caller, and it procing, I have no idea why Eq classic even mentioned archery. Quest is kinda a must for any ranger, shame its not working.

kerry7784
04-09-2010, 07:18 AM
Please fix this quest. Rangers don't get enough love as it is.

mudvayne1812
04-09-2010, 05:39 PM
Rangers don't need any love. There is way too many of them anyway.... Rangers trying to tank... Trying to DPS... Should prolly just go ahead and ban em for griefing my groups.

Taluvill
04-13-2010, 12:35 AM
Bump, figured you guys could take a peak while server is down.

Taluvill
04-14-2010, 03:44 PM
Bump

Would love to know if i should just stop trying?

magic
04-14-2010, 07:15 PM
1. Stop trying
2. Wait for plane of air
3. ?????
4. Congrats on being OP

Zilo
04-14-2010, 08:12 PM
ahh the fabled Raincaller, so far every ranger quest i have done, i swear i have had to pull teeth to complete them, accept the orc impaler. that took only 2 hours, but still, as soon as i figure out a part of the quest is broken, i run away, far far away with Spirit of wolf =P thats why rangers get it!

-Zilo Surefall <IB>

# 1 Ranger on P1999 (from alot of hard work)

"I'd rather have an awkward morning, then a lonely night"

Taluvill
04-18-2010, 11:32 AM
Yeah. Oh well, I give up on it

Aeshe
04-21-2010, 12:48 PM
Never give up! Keep the faith haha

Taluvill
04-24-2010, 12:18 AM
Im not giving up.

Bump

nilbog
04-24-2010, 12:23 AM
So much text... so few research/links to classic sites.

I didn't play a ranger. What all needs to happen here, besides the proc/click discussion?

Links, links with dates?

spoolie
04-24-2010, 12:32 AM
aesyn Trueshot may be found in the ranger guild in Kelethin at -451.03, 520.32, 116.28.

You say, 'Hail Maesyn Trueshot'

Maesyn Trueshot says 'Welcome to Kelethin, ______! I am Maesyn Trueshot, commander of Faydark's Champions. We are the finest marksmen in all of Norrath. With our trusty [Trueshot longbows] we can miss no target regardless of the distance or the conditions.'

You say, 'What Trueshot longbows?'

Maesyn Trueshot says 'The Trueshot Longbow was created by my famed father, Eldin Trueshot. It is quite accurate and takes a ranger's skill to wield. We use our new recruits to [gather materials] needed by my father. We shall soon begin to release the formula to good elves so all may fletch such a bow.'

You say, 'I will gather materials.'

Maesyn Trueshot says 'Take this pack. Go to Kaladim, find Trantor Everhot and ask for dwarven wire. Then go to Freeport to meet Jyle Windshot. Search the inns for him and ask him for treant wood. Then, collect some spiderling silk from spiderlings and finally, in Steamfont, we have the permission of the gnomes to use any micro servos we find while destroying rogue spiders. Combine them all and return the pack to me.'

You receive a Material Pack, a 4-slot MEDIUM container.

Dwarven Wire

Trantor Everhot may be found wandering around North Kaladim.

You say, 'Hail, Trantor Everhot'

Trantor Everhot says 'Yes, yes!! I am a very busy man. I've got blueprints to work on, [dwarven wire] to perfect and formulae to calculate. In between those tasks, I have to find time to head down to Irontoe's and down a few Tumpy Tonics.'

You say, 'What dwarven wire?'

Trantor Everhot says 'Oh!! Interested in my dwarven wire, are you? Many are. I have no problem letting you use a spool, but I have to warn you that I have not perfected the strength of it yet. I will make you a trade. A couple of [Tumpy Tonics] for a spool.'

You say, 'What Tumpy Tonics?'

Trantor Everhot says 'Aaah!! I love Tumpy Tonics. They were created by Tumpy Irontoe. He was once a member of the famed Irontoe Brigade. Since they disbanded and left for parts unknown he decided to stay in Kaladim and open Irontoe's, the finest well in Faydwer.'

You can get Tumpy Tonics from Tumpy Irontoe or brew them yourself (1 Kiola Nut + 1 Water Flask in a brew barrel, trivial 135). You'll need four of them for the quest, so make sure you get enough. Give two to Trantor Everhot unstacked.

Trantor Everhot says 'Hey!! Only one?!!'

Trantor Everhot says 'Great!! I did not have the time to get down to Irontoe's today. Here. Like I said. A spool of dwarven wire. Now go away. I ain't sharing these tonics.'

Your faction standing with Storm Guard got better.
Your faction standing with Kazon Stormhammer got better.
Your faction standing with Miners Guild 249 got better.
Your faction standing with Merchants of Kaladim got better.
Your faction standing with Craknek Warriors got worse.
You gain experience!!

You receive Dwarven Wire. Give him another two Tumpy Tonics unstacked for the second piece of Dwarven Wire.

Treant Wood

Jyle Windshot may be found in West Freeport (a different version of him may be found in East Freeport, but that's for a different quest). Make sure he cons amiably or above.

You say, 'Hail, Jyle Windshot'

Jyle Windshot says 'Hello. Might I ask what you are looking for?'

You say, 'I am looking for treant wood.'

Jyle Windshot says 'You are a new courier from the Faydarks. I am sorry I did not stay closer to the docks. I hear that part of Freeport is dangerous and is filled with many rogues. I shall require a new Small Lantern in trade for the Treant Wood.'

You can buy a Small Lantern at many vendors, including Innkeep Palola in North Freeport and Innkeep Harold in East COmmonlands. Give Jyle the lantern.

Jyle Windshot says 'Thanks, friend. I have run a long way to get here in time. Mostly at night. I lost my lantern in a card game in Highkeep.'

Your faction standing with Faydark's Champions got better.
Your faction standing with King Tearis Thex got better.
Your faction standing with Clerics of Tunare got better.
Your faction standing with Soldiers of Tunare got better.
Your faction standing with Crushbone Orcs got worse.
You gain experience!!

You will probably receive Wooden Shards, which identifies as "Treant Wood Shards." Occasionally you instead receive A Wooden Heart, which identifies as "A Treant Heart." This is used in the subsequent Rain Caller quest.

Other Ingredients

Spiderling silk drops from spiders around the world. Rogue clockworks in Steamfont drop Micro Servos. You'll need at least two Micro Servos, so make sure to collect spares.

The Finale

In the Material Pack, combine 1 Dwarven Wire, 1 Wooden Shards, 1 Spiderling Silk, and 1 Micro Servo to craft a Pack of Materials. Give this to Maesyn Trueshot.

Maesyn Trueshot says 'I shall see that my father gets the materials. I hope this can be of use to you. It will serve as your starting point toward fletching a Trueshot longbow. It is unfortunate that we are unable to enchant the bow to its [next incarnation], but it is still a fine weapon. You do know the [correct components] needed for fletching such a bow, do you not?'

Your faction standing with Faydark's Champions got better.
Your faction standing with King Tearis Thex got better.
Your faction standing with Clerics of Tunare got better.
Your faction standing with Soldiers of Tunare got better.
Your faction standing with Crushbone Orcs got worse.
You gain experience!!
You receive 6 gold from Maesyn Trueshot.

You say, 'What correct components?'

Maesyn Trueshot says 'Now that I have crafted the Treant Bow Staff, you shall need one Planing Tool, one Treant Bow Staff, one Micro Servo and one spool of Dwarven Wire. These items will be used with your Fletching Kit as all other bows. Be forewarned, only a Master Fletcher can create such a bow and even a master fails from time to time. Good Luck.'

You receive a Treant Bow Staff. Combine this in a fletching kit with a Micro Servo, a piece of Dwarven Wire, and a Planing Tool to craft a Trueshot Longbow (trivial 235).

spoolie
04-24-2010, 12:32 AM
At the end of the previous quest, Maesyn Trueshot mentioned a next incarnation of the bow.

You say, 'What is the next incarnation?'

Maesyn Trueshot says 'The Trueshot Longbow was once enchanted by the Koada'Dal enchanters.  Once it was enchanted now it is no more.  I am sure if you were ask the Koada'Dal [where the enchanted bows] are you will get an answer.'

Go to Felwithe. Kinool Goldsinger may be found in the Enchanter guild.

You say, 'Where can I get an Enchanted Bow?'

Kinool Goldsinger says 'Alas... Another ranger in search of the [Rain Caller]. She is no more.'

You say, 'What is the Rain Caller?'

Kinool Goldsinger says 'Rain Caller is the name we give each Trueshot longbow once it is enchanted. Unfortunately, I am unable to enchant them any longer. One of the components is no longer available. Someone would have to strike a [deal with the fairie folk]. Once I have that and the [remaining components] I can create the Rain Caller, a ranger's bow.'

You say, 'What deal with the fairie folk?'

Kinool Goldsinger says 'The fairie princess, Joleena, used to have a metal gnome deliver [fairie gold dust] to the Keepers every month. She has stopped this and now refuses to offer it to any nation of Faydwer. What she is angry about, we do not know.'

You say, 'What fairie gold dust?'

Kinool Goldsinger says 'Fairie gold dust is an enchanted powder which only a fairie princess can create.'

You say, 'What remaining components?'

Kinool Goldsinger says 'The remaining components are the Trueshot longbow and a treant heart. There will also be the guild donation in the amount of 3000 gold coins. These and the [fairie gold dust] will merit a ranger the Rain Caller enchanted bow.'

Princess Joleena may be found in the Lesser Faydark.

You say, 'Hail, Princess Joleena'

Princess Joleena says 'I am the Fairie Princess, Joleena. You may stay amongst my people, but do not nibble from our homes.'

You say, 'I want fairie gold dust.'

Princess Joleena says 'You wish the magical Fairie Gold Dust? Hmmph!! I refuse to offer it to any of the giants of Faydwer. How can I trust any of you. You have crept up upon my me and snatched one of my wings from my back. There will be no Fairie Gold Dust until my wing has been returned to me. You may not be the stalker [who snatched my wing], but all you giants are similar. Prove me wrong and return my wing.'

You say, 'Who snatched your wing?'

Princess Joleena says 'I did not see the swift giant, I was blinded by the sun glaring off his balding head. I do remember the smell of rust and refuse. How he got past my Clockwork Guardian, Gearheart, is a mystery to us all.'

The bald "giant" she's talking about is Sanfyrd Featherhead in Ak'Anon.

You say, 'Hail, Sanfyrd Featherhead'

Sanfyrd Featherhead says 'Greetings. I am the operator of this Scrapyard. If you have any Scrap Metal I would be glad to purchase it from you in loads of four. The Gemchoppers no longer allow me to accept Blackbox Fragments and Micro Servos.'

You say, 'Do you know where Princess Joleena's wing is?'

Sanfyrd Featherhead says 'No!! You cannot have my magic Fairie Wing!! I need it. I read somewhere within the great library that the magic wing from a fairie princess will restore my full head of hair. Look at me!! I am bald!! I have no [friends] at all.'

You say, 'I am your friend.'

Sanfyrd Featherhead says 'Oh. You are just saying that so you can get my fairie wing. I will make you a deal. I cannot rely on this wing forever. I will trade it with you if you could get me a case of hair tonic. If you are a true friend you [will fetch the hair tonic] for me.'

You say, 'I will fetch the hair tonic.'

Sanfyrd Featherhead says 'Great!! Here you go, my friend. Take this crate and within you shall fill each slot with hair tonic. When all are combined within the crate, return it to me for your wing. I am not sure what the tonic was or where I got it. There is some writing on the crate, but I could not identify it.'

You receive a Crate for Tonics, a 10-slot SMALL container. You must now go to Freeport. Ping Fuzzlecutter is a gnome merchant located outside the west gate. Buy 10 of Fuzzlecutter Formula 5000 from him, enough to fill the crate, then hit combine to craft A Crate of Tonic. While you're in West Freeport, find Jyle Windshot and keep giving Small Lanterns to him until he gives you A Wooden Heart, which identifies as "A Treant Heart." You can also obtain them as rare drops from treants, but rangers shouldn't kill treants, so that isn't really an option. Once you have everything, head back to Sanfyrd Featherhead and give him the crate.

Sanfyrd Featherhead says 'Huzzah!! You are my friend. Now you can take my old toupee and get it repaired. Just go to Freeport and ask Ping to [repair the toupee]. Hey!! You know what? He is the guy who sells the hair tonic!! I remember now. Well,.. Get my toupee repaired and I will give you the fairie wing.'

You receive a Tattered Toupee, which identifies as "Sanfyrd's Used Toupee." Head back to West Freeport and Ping Fuzzlecutter.

You say, 'Can you repair the toupee?'

Ping Fuzzlecutter says 'Ah!! You have a toupee to repair. It must be the [Mane Attraction]. I gave one out and it seems to always fall to pieces. Seeing as it has a 100 season warranty and I only created it 5 seasons ago, I suppose I can do it. Do you want me to [make the Mane Attraction]?'

You say, 'What is the Mane Attraction?'

Ping Fuzzlecutter says 'The Mane Attraction is a special toupee I created for a Gnome junker. He wasn't getting much attention at the taverns till I created the eye-catching toupee. He became one charismatic Gnome after that. Unfortunately, it seems to fall to pieces too easily and since it has a warranty, I have to fix it for him every time at no charge!! I will never make another.'

You say, 'I want you to make the Mane Attraction.'

Ping Fuzzlecutter says 'If you have the original tattered toupee then I can do it. Before you give it to me I will also need three other items. I require two clumps of hair from a Hulking Gorilla and a strand of hair from a [certain mermaid].'

You say, 'What certain mermaid?'

Ping Fuzzlecutter says 'I encountered a particular mermaid with beautiful hair!! She had beautiful golden tresses. I used a lock of her hair to create the Mane Attraction. That was a while back when I was in Faydwer.'

A Hulking Gorilla may be found in the Feerrott. Clumps of Gorilla Hair also drop occasionally from A Gorilla, A Large Gorilla, and A Silverflank Guardian, also found in the Feerrott.

A Golden Haired Mermaid may be found in Kedge Keep. She drops A Lock of Hair.

Give the tattered toupee, the two clumps of gorilla hair (unstacked), and the lock of hair to Ping Fuzzlecutter.

Ping Fuzzlecutter says 'You are a good helper. Here you go. One genuine, charismatic, lady magnet, zero to hero making Mane Attraction!! Guaranteed to lower prices world wide. Guaranteed to last forever.. Err.. Well,.. It has a 1000 year warranty at least.'

You receive the Mane Attraction. Head back to Sanfyrd Featherhead and give it to him.

Sanfyrd Featherhead says 'Double Huzzah!! You are a good friend ______. Now mayhaps I shall find myself a wife. Here pal, the fairy wing. I hope it can give you a great head of hair. You need it.'

You receive A Glimmering Fairie Wing, which identifies as "Princess Joleena's Wing." Head back to her and give her the wing.

Princess Joleena says 'My wing!! I am so happy!! Thank you Milky. You have proved that I can trust giants once again. Please take a Pouch of Fairie Gold Dust. Its magical properties are desired by all.'

Your faction standing with Fairie got better.
You gain experience!!

You receive a Pouch of Gold Dust, which identifies as "Fairie Gold Dust." Head back to Kinool Goldsinger and give him the Pouch of Gold Dust, A Wooden Heart, the Trueshot Longbow, and 3000 gp.

Kinool Goldsinger says 'Fine work!! I now reward you with The Rain Caller.'

spoolie
04-24-2010, 12:36 AM
just a note the addon about the gorillas being in feerrott was updated after the revamp to CT

nilbog
04-24-2010, 03:47 AM
Fixed, pending update.

WOW did this suck.

I fixed it.. but it was in bad shape :o

btw, the bow looks like it had charges here. http://www.kitsune.to/sog/eq/diary/19991101-19991110.shtml

Taluvill
04-24-2010, 10:17 AM
I'll try and find more links for the proc versus DD. The idea behind the bow is somewhat tarnished without the proc, then its just got some nice stats, best in slot.

I'll go and try and find some more things to prove the proc. Thanks Nil!

Taluvill
04-25-2010, 01:26 AM
Update: The gnome in akanon isn't giving the box for the toupee and such as he should, going to edit this post, working on another part of it now.

nilbog
04-25-2010, 01:54 AM
Update: The gnome in akanon isn't giving the box for the toupee and such as he should, going to edit this post, working on another part of it now.

try "fetch hair tonic"

After next update, it will be closer to what the text reads, "fetch the hair tonic"

Ostehaps
04-25-2010, 07:38 AM
try "fetch hair tonic"

After next update, it will be closer to what the text reads, "fetch the hair tonic"

great :)

after running my kos DE necro down there to see if it was the lvl of my ranger that wasent high enough.. trying all kinds of phrases..

thanks nilbog ;)

Ostehaps
04-26-2010, 07:54 AM
Princess Joleena - in Lesser Faydark

she should have a chance of spawning every EQ day at 9AM.. placeholder despawns at 8am and 8pm (no chance of princess during night).. as of today ph dosent despawn. had to kill it to make princess spawn.

http://eqbeastiary.allakhazam.com/search.shtml?id=5249

Here are some things I thought might be helpful. Patience is the most helpful thing though.
A) Princess will spawn at either 9am or 9pm, it doesn't have to be "under the sun's light" like Gearheart says.
B) If the placeholder is dead when the despawn time comes (7am/pm), then nothing will spawn.

mixxit
04-26-2010, 10:02 AM
All done! The placeholder will now depop between the hours of 7-8 and Joleena will spawn at 9 for an hour.

(this will work am / pm)

*Edit* This won't come in to live till the next patch though.

guineapig
04-26-2010, 11:37 AM
Can any class do this quest or is it ranger only?

Jify
04-26-2010, 08:14 PM
Can any class do this quest or is it ranger only?

Any class with appropriate faction

Aeshe
04-26-2010, 10:57 PM
got quest to work. It was originally a proc but was changed to charges around same time mistwalker was removed I think. Remember I barely missed both on live.

guineapig
04-26-2010, 11:17 PM
So currently it's a proc or not?
And I'm assuming all existing raincallers will be nerfed or what?

Nen
04-26-2010, 11:22 PM
So currently it's a proc or not?
And I'm assuming all existing raincallers will be nerfed or what?

Currently it's not a proc.

I've seen the link in game a few times and it's 5 charges of Firestrike.

Ostehaps
04-27-2010, 03:45 AM
not a proc no.. 5 charges.. just got mine yesterday.. :)

jettoki
04-27-2010, 09:55 AM
It was originally a proc, and it was changed to charges about the same time Mistwalker was nerfed. I helped three different Ranger friends get the bow way back pre-Kunark, and all three were disappointed when they got it.

"Oh! It uses charges. Everyone told me it was a proc. :("

I remember thinking how much it sucked that the ultimate Ranger weapon was really just a fleeting chance to use some high damage spells. My friends saved the charges for fights against Vox.

Aeshe
04-28-2010, 03:10 PM
Funny, on live I also used my charges against Vox.

Gulwin
08-11-2010, 05:06 PM
disregard this post.