PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: Armor class adjustments

God-King Abacab
09-30-2011, 05:36 PM
I don't know all the facts because I do not have a fully decked out warrior to test AC thoroughly but on the route to twenty it was almost as if armor class was negligible.

Mobs routinely hit for maximum damage and if they had a weapon that damage was doubled, and even with gear on to marginally increase my armor class the damage output of NPC's and PC's stayed consistent.

However, I can go by memory of P99 and I don't remember NPCS hitting as hard or maximum as frequently as they do here, I don't remember needing double healers to keep a tank up vs blue con mobs but that could also be due to the drastic damage reduction to player DPS tables thus letting the mobs live faster.

I think there needs to be an overhaul in the AC/dodge/parry/riposte system or damage needs to be upped in PvE to account for the damage tables of NPC's

Not_Kazowi
09-30-2011, 09:05 PM
There needs to be a damage increase towards pve npcs and more ac checks

God-King Abacab
09-30-2011, 09:32 PM
There needs to be a damage increase towards pve npcs and more ac checks

Rexx will back this up.

Rexx and I were in Runnyeye and we could barely handle blues as a group, and when we were ambushed by a crazed goblin shaman he was doubling for 90 points of damage at level 20, that's a lot of damage to eat when there is no practical way of mitigating (abundance of gear).

If it is possible look at the old patch notes from 2004 and apply the 33% armor check into PvE, or if it's impossible to scale the AC of players into account at least change mob damage tables so level 1 mobs aren't hitting for 13 and level 20 mobs aren't effectively one rounding tanks

Lazortag
10-01-2011, 12:55 AM
Are you trying to say that crazed goblin shamans do 180 damage a round, or 90 damage a round when you say they "double for 90"? I could imagine them hitting for about ~45 maximum (per hit) given that they're in their low 20's, but if they're hitting for 90 then that's completely off.

Also, this is not pvp related - this is something that has proven to be a non-issue on p99 where there's reduced exp and the quality of someone's gear is usually more appropriate for their level.

Honestly abacab I'm a little surprised with you, I thought you were better than this, instead I see you proposing an enormous change without even once asserting that it's more classic or using any evidence to back up what you're saying.

God-King Abacab
10-01-2011, 01:09 AM
Are you trying to say that crazed goblin shamans do 180 damage a round, or 90 damage a round when you say they "double for 90"? I could imagine them hitting for about ~45 maximum (per hit) given that they're in their low 20's, but if they're hitting for 90 then that's completely off.

Also, this is not pvp related - this is something that has proven to be a non-issue on p99 where there's reduced exp and the quality of someone's gear is usually more appropriate for their level.

Honestly abacab I'm a little surprised with you, I thought you were better than this, instead I see you proposing an enormous change without even once asserting that it's more classic or using any evidence to back up what you're saying.

Like I said, I don't know if it's because the xp rate is so high and I'm tanking level 20+ mobs in empty slots and cloth armor or if the the damage table really is borked and mobs are always hitting for maximum bar parry rates.

All I know is that mobs are hitting for maximum damage rather frequently and that armor class is inconsequential in both PvE and PvP because there is no full armor class check and it appears to only apply to base armor.

Until I can find gear with major AC increases (such as crafted armor) I can't fully comprehend the system but so far I can attest that the damage in PvE seems off from my own personal account and the account of the dozens of people I've grouped with.

Bockscar
10-01-2011, 02:27 AM
I don't know if it's because the xp rate is so high and I'm tanking level 20+ mobs in empty slots and cloth armor

Well, I can reveal to you the astonishing fact that this^ probably is the reason. You're meant to have full banded or bronze at that level, and you're surprised that mobs sodomize you when you show up in half cloth and half nothing?

Crenshinabon
10-01-2011, 12:56 PM
This is why increased xp has always broken the game. But who wants to beta grind to level 20 in 50 hours.