PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: Melee PvP on boats, but no spell casting!

Smedy
09-28-2011, 05:56 PM
Hi,

I'm guessing it's a bug, melee pvp works on the boats, but casting spells doesn't i'm guessing the intended version is no pvp at all?

Right now casters are getting screwed on the boats by melees!

Danien
09-28-2011, 06:08 PM
That was on live too I think. I remember a hilarous guy named Longjohnsilver who would hide in the lower deck and come out when the boat zoned into OOT to pk the people on the boat.

Resident pirate represent.

Softcore PK
09-28-2011, 06:28 PM
Yes, this was how live was. And it was glorious.

Lazortag
09-28-2011, 07:33 PM
Not being able to cast on the boat is on blue99 also. This is normal. It would probably screw up the boats somehow to be able to cast on them. Either way, it's kind of impossible to cast when the boat is moving (since your spell would just get interrupted - unless you're a bard - womp womp...) so you should expect to get killed by rogues anyway.

Rogean
09-29-2011, 01:36 AM
I can disable melee / all pvp actions while players are on a boat, but you guys are right that it may have been possible to melee on live but not spellcast. Let me know thoughts. My opinion is that pvp should be disabled.

Darksinga
09-29-2011, 01:54 AM
If I remember correctly if you killed some one on a boat their corpse would basically sink where you killed um...

So corpses would be in the middle of no where in Ocean of Tears.

Pvp on boats was fun, but ehh that CR :P

Pudge
09-29-2011, 02:03 AM
it was enabled. boats were a place where melees would gank.

i'd rather it remain that way, but i guess it's not a huge deal if the boat can make ppl immune to pvp, especially considering spells can't be cast on them.

i can see ppl meeting at a boat to trade safely on their toons, instead of using level 1 alts. this may mean that boats become an important part of EQ economy, because not only to they travel between zones automatically, allowing ppl to auction to a greater audience, but these traders will all be gathered in one spot and can trade with eachother easily. (can ppl camp while on a boat?)

THEN the pvp hotspots will be around the docks, b/c ppl will be loaded with cash. although most smart ppl would, once they are done trading, jump off the boat into the middle of the ocean to cast gate (if they can gate).

... meh. or maybe ppl will just use level 1s mostly anyway. would really have to implement this to see what happens. would be interesting to see, but my vote is to just keep it classic and make it so melees can attack.

Pudge
09-29-2011, 02:06 AM
or if you didn't like the trade aspect it would bring.. you could also disable trading i guess.

Softcore PK
09-29-2011, 05:29 AM
I say let melee continue working on boats. Melee classes waiting below deck is very much classic and was almost never a huge problem (exceptions for RZ item loot, I'm sure). Every caster class but cleric receives the see invis spell, and clerics have the defense and weapon skills to put up something of a fight with just melee, anyway. Especially buffed. In most cases, dying to hidden rogues below deck will be because the proper precautions were not taken. This is not true for casters that don't have seen invis, but at those levels casters generally dominate the melee (naked wiz > naked rogue) everywhere else.

The idea of safe areas really bothers me, even if it is just on boats. I'll be going druid or cleric on live, btw :P

AffEcT
09-29-2011, 08:34 AM
clerics have the defense and weapon skills

What weapon skills are you talking about?
I dont think a cleric can out dps any melee with out spells? Clerics dont even have bash in classic. Keep dreaming :P

Darwoth
09-29-2011, 08:50 AM
leave it how it is imo, that is how it was on classic and it added a certain dynamic (sometimes good, sometimes bad)

more rules/restrictions is never a good thing, why eliminate the possibility of 2 dozen eyepatch faced lowbies taking over the boat etc.

Softcore PK
09-29-2011, 02:30 PM
What weapon skills are you talking about?
I dont think a cleric can out dps any melee with out spells? Clerics dont even have bash in classic. Keep dreaming :P

I've known some very good battle clerics in my time. It is a shame that clerics won't have bash, which was of course a huge benefit, but here they will find a good 2hb weapon and joust like a pro. Of course they'll lose most of the time on boats, but at least they can put a big dent in those hp :P

lethdar
09-29-2011, 10:01 PM
this was classic and is one of the fun parts of the pvp servers in eq. Trying to hide and dodge melee long enough if you're a caster on a boat, hoping invis doesn't break, etc.

Lasher
09-30-2011, 12:40 PM
i know spells didnt work on boats in live pvp but i thought bard songs did. I thought i remember getting dotted and snared by a bard back in 1999 on qeynos boat but im not certain, can anyone distinctly deny/confirm?

Softcore PK
09-30-2011, 01:12 PM
I remember not being able to use songs on boats. You could keep whatever song you had playing, but if you stopped it/zoned you couldn't start a new one. Of course, this may have been changed at some point to appease casters, and I'm remembering life after the change..

Kelsar
10-06-2011, 08:47 PM
Pirate Guild FTW. Keep melee on boats.

Dontmez_Mebro
10-14-2011, 12:32 PM
This is pretty lame. i don't care because I play a melee, but think about having to get your body from an unknown location at the bottom of the ocean of tears. A Melee with a bow can pretty much kill any caster with ease since it shoots through the walls of the boat.

SoulLeech
10-14-2011, 02:23 PM
Either make an earnest effort to "fix" the game by opening up every aspect of to tweaking and re-balancing or leave it alone.

Selectively quashing the more quaint and relatively inconsequential aspects of EQ's hilariously broken PVP while leaving the broader issues alone is just silly.

mimixownzall
10-14-2011, 03:54 PM
Selectively quashing the more quaint and relatively inconsequential aspects of EQ's hilariously broken PVP while leaving the broader issues alone is just silly.

Inconsequential? Really? So getting attacked on a boat and getting killed out in the middle of nowhere in OOT and having to waste CSR time retrieving that corpse for someone is inconsequential? When it can easily be avoided by disabling it in the first place?

If there were places where casters could cast but melee could not fight back at all there would a huge outcry.

Dontmez_Mebro
10-14-2011, 03:56 PM
Inconsequential? Really? So getting attacked on a boat and getting killed out in the middle of nowhere in OOT and having to waste CSR time retrieving that corpse for someone is inconsequential? When it can easily be avoided by disabling it in the first place?

If there were places where casters could cast but melee could not fight back at all there would a huge outcry.

Like the sky when they levitate? Just sayin...

SoulLeech
10-14-2011, 05:08 PM
Like the sky when they levitate? Just sayin...

Beat me to it.

EQ PVP is full of immensely broken shit with far more application than this zone and match-up specific complaint.

Now, lets proceed with idiotic analogies, nonsensical comparisons and discussion of specific and counters strategies interspersed with "WUT U MAD? LEV 2 HARD FOR U?".

Lazortag
10-15-2011, 10:28 AM

Why would you waste CSR time getting your corpse? That's not CSR's job - it's your job to get your own corpse unless it's a bug that's disallowing you from getting it. I don't know how things worked on VZTZ but here GM's don't just retrieve corpses for players because their corpse runs might take too long.

Palemoon
10-15-2011, 10:44 AM
Yeah, not understanding GM's getting corpses or rezzing corpses unless a bug is involved.

Make friends with necros and clerics instead.

Tamiah2011
10-15-2011, 10:57 AM
I can disable melee / all pvp actions while players are on a boat, but you guys are right that it may have been possible to melee on live but not spellcast. Let me know thoughts. My opinion is that pvp should be disabled.

I am caster and have np with melee classes getting some pay back, allow melee on boats.

Palemoon
10-15-2011, 11:02 AM
It would be very immersive/RPish too, if delicate casters had to bring an armed bodyguard of buff soldiers with them on their voyage to protect them from the pirates!

Casters want to use the boat in safety? Hire some mercs, like the merchants did back on the silk road~

Dontmez_Mebro
10-15-2011, 11:02 AM
A bug like your corpse falling through the boat into the depths of the ocean?

Palemoon
10-15-2011, 11:05 AM
A bug like your corpse falling through the boat into the depths of the ocean?

buy a chipped bone rod and go swimming for it.

Tamiah2011
10-15-2011, 11:23 AM
buy a chipped bone rod and go swimming for it.

now that funnie..