PDA

View Full Version : another wsock32.dll thread!

Krayzie
09-11-2011, 09:21 AM
im trying to delete it, but it says i need permission even though i am logged in as admin?

Wanderfar
09-11-2011, 11:44 AM
Your using WIN 7 I assume. Sometimes to fix this problem I launch all applications not with the standard double left click, but with a right click and "Run as Administrator". This allows the program to be written to. I also have to use WinRAR unzipper this way. Open it first with Run Administrator, then find the files and then extract them so they write properly.

Krayzie
09-11-2011, 07:39 PM
im using vista sorry forgot to put that in.

Krayzie
09-12-2011, 11:25 PM
bump

Mcbard
09-13-2011, 12:10 PM
Your files are most likely in program files so you don't have permissions to them. Move your EQ folder to c:\ and try again.

bonehand
09-15-2011, 10:47 AM
Two parts: complex but secure and simple but unsecure...

Complex:
You can right click on the everquest directory, and select (left click) preferences.

Under Security, you have check boxes for permissions. Take note of what level permissions everything has, you will be enabling then disabling permissions next, so returning to the original security settings is important. Give full permissions to all users, honestly, this may take a few tries of apply - it does not want to stick sometimes because something is open or antivirus is ssilently scanning, or God only knows...but eventually every user, owner, admin...everyone has permission. Close the Preferences window, open up EQ and do your deletions and add the new files. Then disable the permissions you gave - this usually works first try...

Then start up EQ and make sure it is all right.

Never leave the permissions set to full...it's a serious risk. While not necessarily from EQ, but virii tend to look for places to hide with full admin rights, and you just opened a big door. So be sure to close it when done.

Simple:
Otherwise, if you feel secure enough, you CAN move the EQ directory to C: or D: or whatever extra drive location you have - it's even install on a USB drive, and USB3.0 flash sticks are FAST, make a new "C:\EQ\eqgame.exe patchme" shortcut, and be done with it....C, D, and most locations outside of My Documents, Windows, and Program Files directories have less secure restrictions.

Though, I don't like giving Admin level access to anything I don't have to...I admit to having WoW and EQ installed this way so that they are portable. I can keep the applications installed that will work this way from hogging my C: drives which will eventually slow your PC down even after defrags; I can take it from my home, to school, to work, to the coffee shop depending on what PC or laptop I am using, but does require USB3.0 or eSata to load fast enough...

Krayzie
09-15-2011, 09:58 PM
Ok i got rid of wsock32.dll
i went to safe mode
Start > Search > CMD > CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER
Takeown /f C:\Windows\System32\wsock32.dll
(gives you ownership of the file)
then type
Calcs C:\Windows\System32\wsock32.dll/G"USERNAME":F
(that lets you delete file)
then i deleted Wsock32.dll (finally)

Krayzie
09-15-2011, 09:59 PM
P.S.
fuck you vista

Rogean
09-15-2011, 10:26 PM
You just deleted the wsock32 in your system directory.

/facepalm

Sargonax
09-16-2011, 09:23 AM
You just deleted the wsock32 in your system directory.

/facepalm

Haha!, remember we are talking about everquest not your OS.

on a side note, make sure you have everquest completly closed before you try deleting the two files. I had left it running so I could double check with the message and make sure I deleted the right files, but it kept giving me a permissions error untill I closed EQ down.

Krayzie
09-16-2011, 10:20 AM
i just fully reinstalled it :)

SaintCrouton
05-31-2015, 11:19 AM
I had the same issue. Created a shortcut for my 'Launch Titanium.bat' and moved to desktop, and that fixed the issue. Don't ask me. I don't know why.