PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe/wise to post one's cell#?

Hagglebaron
09-09-2011, 12:48 PM
I get alot of pm's from people requiring escrow service right away, and often by the time i check my inbox later on too much time has elapsed. Some have suggested i post my cell number so people can shoot me a text or whatever if they need me.

Is this a smart idea? What are the potential negative ramifications of doing so? Any advice is appreciated guys, cheers.

nilbog
09-09-2011, 12:51 PM
I do not believe it would be safe or wise to do this...unless you're using a secondary/temporary terrorist phone or something.

Side effects may include... people from the internet calling your phone.

Just IMO.

Littlegyno
09-09-2011, 12:53 PM
Get a hoe phone for 20 bucks at walmart.

Velion
09-09-2011, 12:59 PM
I'm sure there's some way to set something up for people to be able to notify you by phone without actually releasing your cell #. I'm not too twitter savvy but I think you can set up text notifications for twitter accounts. You might still have the problem with people abusing it to send tons of messages, but at least it would be something easy to turn off without having to get a brand new cell #.

Mardur
09-09-2011, 12:59 PM
Google voice. Free phone number. Use your current phone.

Appollo
09-09-2011, 01:02 PM
I do not believe it would be safe or wise to do this...unless you're using a secondary/temporary terrorist phone or something.

Side effects may include... people from the internet calling your phone.

Just IMO.

I, too, do not think it is a smart idea unless you are using a phone service that is soley for the purposes of the game and is not traceable to you. Also, the side effects were well stated by Nilbog.

toddfx
09-09-2011, 01:04 PM
What kind of phone do you have? If you have a smartphone of some kind, you could set up a twitter account (or just about any other online messaging service) and allow it to notify you on your phone when you receive a message.

I see now that Velion also suggested this. Cool stuff.

Peatree
09-09-2011, 01:09 PM
Agreed +1 on the Google Voice account. Man no one really uses this and it is a very powerful way to merge all your devices and control your communications. If you haven't checked into it - you should. It's truly cool.

Hasbinbad
09-09-2011, 01:13 PM
Get a hoe phone for 20 bucks at walmart.
I actually had a girl buy me a hoe phone once.

Striiker
09-09-2011, 01:19 PM
Yes, sign up for a Google Voice number. You provide a real phone number which it would use to forward to you if you so choose. I have a Google number set up which I have go directly to voicemail. This is the number I use when signing up for stuff and provide to businesses. If anyone tries to pull telemarketing etc. they fall into the google voice bucket. The othe rice aspects of this are: 1) People can send you text messages via the google voice number which you can have forwarded to you via email or SMS and 2) If people leave a voicemail, Google Voice will try to transcribe it and email you the transcription.

Aadill
09-09-2011, 01:23 PM
If people leave a voicemail, Google Voice will try to transcribe it and email you the transcription.

Holy awesome.

Kassel
09-09-2011, 01:29 PM
I have not had to listen to a voicemail on my cell for over a year, Voice to Text is great, you can read your voicemail !!

Littlegyno
09-09-2011, 01:33 PM
HBB did you report my post for saying a man gave you a phone?

Spud
09-09-2011, 01:36 PM
what will google think of next?

Diggles
09-09-2011, 01:41 PM
My guild and arena partners in WoW have my phone # just for batphones to do matches/raids

Mardur
09-09-2011, 01:42 PM
Yeah voice to text is awesome. I used to just ignore voicemail, now I can actually just read it.

hdawg06
09-09-2011, 01:47 PM
Google voice. Free phone number. Use your current phone.

Assuming he has android. If he has an iphone there is a service called 2nd line or something like that for free that is very similar.

bonehand
09-09-2011, 01:59 PM
Another option not mentioned, assuming you have iPhone or Android, is to get a instant message handling application. I use eBuddy, and everytime someone sends me a message on AIM, MSN, Yahoo, ICQ... I get a text message ringtone going off. It's not as noticable as my phone ringer, but it'll let you know and reply faster through something like eBuddy than having to go to the computer and seeing you missed PM's.

Hagglebaron
09-09-2011, 02:12 PM
Awesome, thanks for all the feedback guys. Appreciate it

Runningfish
09-09-2011, 03:11 PM
How bout skype?

druziil
09-09-2011, 04:10 PM
If you have a smartphone that notifys you of email, just set up p99 forum to email notify you when you get a pm.

Vohl
09-09-2011, 04:44 PM
what will google think of next?

Adding the transcribed VM to their internal search index to better target you with ads, of course. Not that this is entirely a bad thing. I'd far rather see MMO ads than internet dating for single grandparents ads.

Gwence
09-09-2011, 04:53 PM
Why wouldn't you want people from the internet calling you?

Mardur
09-09-2011, 05:53 PM
Adding the transcribed VM to their internal search index to better target you with ads, of course. Not that this is entirely a bad thing. I'd far rather see MMO ads than internet dating for single grandparents ads.

How many people exactly are leaving you voicemails about MMOs?

Kevlar
09-09-2011, 08:27 PM
I third the hoe phone. Extra benefit you can give it out to strippers looking to make some side money.

bakkily
09-10-2011, 01:01 AM
burnouts, usally 10-15 bucks, but i dont see it worth it, cuz knowing how busy you get with the eq trading ect, its going to cost you a extra 40 bucks

but i figure if you have the extra cash, sign a deal with cricket for a 20 dollar phone, that has a 30 dollar month to month plan, if you see it worth it, im not into or understand why people take eq to their rl with a batphone