PDA

View Full Version : Secrets of Faydwer Support

Rogean
09-05-2011, 02:36 AM
Around one month from now, we will be removing Secrets of Faydwer support from the server. If you are using Secrets of Faydwer, you will need to find a copy/install of Titanium in order to resume playing. We will not be able to help you find a copy of titanium, so you will need to ask your friends and fellow players for assistance if necessary.

epicentre
09-05-2011, 02:53 AM
mmmhhh... is it so hard to put your anti-cheater code in SoF?

:rolleyes:

Rogean
09-05-2011, 02:54 AM
mmmhhh... is it so hard to put your anti-cheater code in SoF?

:rolleyes:

It already is.

Rosk0e
09-05-2011, 03:20 AM
any chance you can turn on luclin models for those who wanna use them?
>>inserting Flame-repellant here<<
that is my primary reason for using SoF

Croco
09-05-2011, 03:23 AM
any chance you can turn on luclin models for those who wanna use them?
>>inserting Flame-repellant here<<
that is my primary reason for using SoF

Maybe that's the primary reason they are getting rid of it.

Rosk0e
09-05-2011, 03:24 AM
doubt it...

Rogean
09-05-2011, 03:24 AM
Maybe that's the primary reason they are getting rid of it.

One of the reasons. We do not like luclin models here~

Ashimar
09-05-2011, 04:51 AM
Rogean got me scared winEQ gonna get me banned but it helps my zoning issues :o

Messianic
09-05-2011, 07:42 AM
This is fine...but why did you have to take away tagging?????? =( I'm so sad up in here, reading the tags was usually funnier than reading the thread

Amelinda
09-05-2011, 10:12 AM
Rogean got me scared winEQ gonna get me banned but it helps my zoning issues :o

i have massive problems playing without winEQ. i can't make it work on my windows 7 system so i don't play on that one. my ogres and trolls only have heads and hands and some zones are 100% black. even text boxes but i can hear what is going on... and move.

you don't have to log in more than 1 instance to play and i doubt it is something that would ever cause you to be banned.....because many people have issues with dual or quad core systems without wineq.

i'm sure nilbog and rogean could comment further. i am not a dev. :P

Goraxx
09-05-2011, 12:21 PM
No problem with removing SoF. But reinstate tagging tho :_)

Rali
09-05-2011, 04:38 PM
Pretty sure it was mentioned elsewhere that the disabling of SoF is something to do with the PvP server in the works. I might have imagined that though!

p.s. ugh, Luclin models ><

Lazortag
09-05-2011, 05:04 PM
Pretty petty way of not allowing people who want to play with Luclin models that no one else can see and doesn't affect any other than the whiney little faggots that cry about it.

Good job man! Let the cheaters roam free and then punish people that do things that don't actually affect anyone else. You're truly special.

SoF is highly exploitable and the Luclin models aren't at all the primary reason they're disabling it. You should probably take Rogean's post as a bit of a joke. You should also probably chill.

OngorDrakan
09-05-2011, 05:42 PM
Luclin models BLOW. Good work Rogean!

Rosk0e
09-05-2011, 06:37 PM
Luclin models BLOW. Good work Rogean!

Your opinion...
Let those who want to have the option!
Unless someone runs around shouting, "Hey, I'm a Luclin Troll" you would never know.

I understand "EQ Purists" wanna preserve the look and feel of the game, but quit bein so douchy about it to the rest of us. (I highly doubt you moved back in with ma, and hooked up the 56k dialup to play here...)

Alkorin
09-05-2011, 06:47 PM
SoF is highly exploitable

This. I've found two major exploits myself and I'm sure they are the tip of the iceberg.

Not being able to use the Luclin models annoys me, but... it is what it is. This is a very fair thing to do to make P99 a better place.

sineroth
09-05-2011, 06:56 PM
haha thought u said whitey lol admins thanks for the excellent "free" server have fun u are doing what google should have :cool:
http://xkcd.com/792/
lulz?

Lazortag
09-05-2011, 07:47 PM
Your opinion...
Let those who want to have the option!
Unless someone runs around shouting, "Hey, I'm a Luclin Troll" you would never know.

I understand "EQ Purists" wanna preserve the look and feel of the game, but quit bein so douchy about it to the rest of us. (I highly doubt you moved back in with ma, and hooked up the 56k dialup to play here...)

SoF is highly exploitable, etc etc... just read what my previous post said. It really has little to do with the Luclin models.

Rosk0e
09-05-2011, 08:07 PM
SoF is highly exploitable, etc etc... just read what my previous post said. It really has little to do with the Luclin models.

then enable them in titanium, and give the option to turn em off, for those who dont wanna see them.

Autotune
09-05-2011, 09:43 PM
then enable them in titanium, and give the option to turn em off, for those who dont wanna see them.

someone just needs to come up with a way to bypass it so you can use luclin models in p99 with titanium. (unless this is illegal for some reason)

also, wtb a fix for the titanium client not crashing every time i try to tab or fullscreen. "Reset Device Failed" error is such a pain in the ass and only happens with my titanium client. I can tab relentlessly with other clients and never get this error message.

Lazortag
09-05-2011, 09:52 PM

I believe they don't work in titanium because p99 has the expansion count set to 2 (Classic, Kunark), and the updated models are part of the Luclin expansion.

Rogean
09-05-2011, 10:35 PM
Why would we enable them? They aren't classic.

Autotune
09-06-2011, 01:20 AM

no disrespect, but neither is variance on raid targets. That directly interferes with the classic feel and was put in on purpose. No matter what anyone does, they cannot escape this. You can not just choose to turn it off.

Luclin models can only be seen by the people that choose to see it. ( i know it's been beaten to death)

I think nilbog posted somewhere that he just didn't want them because he just didn't want them lol.
^ much more solid reply imo.
He also did a poll on it, which is pretty old, and I think it was decided to just turn them off.

Also, Velious armor textures aren't classic either, but I have them turned on.

Skrappy
09-06-2011, 03:57 AM
http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12085&page=1

Rosk0e
09-06-2011, 04:05 AM
http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12085&page=1

Requires the SoF client, which they are taking away...

moklianne
09-06-2011, 08:04 AM

If it doesn't change game mechanics, why should it matter? Its personal choice. I would rather use the Luclin models, since they were enabled by default when I first started playing EQ. I just prefer them. Like I've said in the past, are you going to break everything in order to make classic EQ more like classic? When are the UI's going to go back to the old box (or Velious when that comes out)?

I understand the want to make this server as classic as possible, but come on...

Alkorin
09-06-2011, 08:23 AM
It is not simply a matter of enabling them. Setting the available expansions server-side to Classic and Kunark only turns off Luclin model support, as the client is told "behave like you're Kunark".

They are off by design. The SoF "workaround" was a result of the SoF client ignoring the instruction to behave like it's Kunark only. As a result, other things also worked -- for example, maps in every zone.

bonehand
09-06-2011, 11:50 AM
SoF enables maps in every zone? Gah, ban them all!

Doesn't matter to me, I have titanium...it was the only older expansion install I could find. Though I did prefer SOME of the new models when I played live, I normally ran around with only 4 or 5 racial models turned on.

I did prefer though the updated .s3d graphics files over the crap resolution ones first shipped...didn't make much of a difference I suppose, but just made it brighter and gave details to things.

Just logged into live last night, the game really has changed a lot since I quit after PoP...I was like, wtf? Grass? There's grass here? Funny that the grass was too tall to even see my gnome chanter...made me laugh.

Nineran
09-06-2011, 06:46 PM
Luclin models were uglier than sin. While I can understand wanting an upgrade from the low texture resolution of classic, the luclin models were an abomination. Ogres stopped being fat, it was shameful.

Yukahwa
09-06-2011, 09:23 PM
A lot of people dont want you to see them in luclin graphics. Gnomes get hit the hardest I think.

triad
09-07-2011, 12:22 PM
When are the UI's going to go back to the old box (or Velious when that comes out)?

I understand the want to make this server as classic as possible, but come on...

go download the ui we have it

Alkorin
09-07-2011, 02:03 PM
A lot of people dont want you to see them in luclin graphics. Gnomes get hit the hardest I think.

... what I see is absolutely none of their business. I can't even believe that I find myself having to write this. I mean, honestly?

It's irrelevant, in any case. Unless you somehow manage to modify your Titanium client to ignore the instruction to disable them, you are SOL (see what I did there?) when it comes to Luclin models.

Aadill
09-07-2011, 02:19 PM
I refuse to believe that I am Shadows of Luclin when it comes to Luclin models, Alkorin.

Autotune
09-07-2011, 03:00 PM
... what I see is absolutely none of their business. I can't even believe that I find myself having to write this. I mean, honestly?

It's irrelevant, in any case. Unless you somehow manage to modify your Titanium client to ignore the instruction to disable them, you are SOL (see what I did there?) when it comes to Luclin models.

i'd donate for a modified client to allow me to view people in luclin models. I only like a few of them, but i'd turn them all on if it bothered people just to go find them ingame and take a picture of them.

Rosk0e
09-07-2011, 07:13 PM
^^^^^agree

Drem
09-08-2011, 04:22 PM
love how this just degenerated into a luclin models discussion, again

Also, Velious armor textures aren't classic either, but I have them turned on.

so you went into your eqclient.ini and changed false to true for a couple things to enable it on a server that doesn't even have any gear that uses the textures yet (yunno because we're not in velious)? how is this statement relevant to anything

all you guys running around with your luclin models on still look like big stupid fat trolls to people using regular models, so everyone should be on the same page. it's important for coherence to have everyone seeing the same thing

QQ about how you didn't get your way some more, people

WTG Rogean

Autotune
09-08-2011, 07:56 PM
love how this just degenerated into a luclin models discussion, again

so you went into your eqclient.ini and changed false to true for a couple things to enable it on a server that doesn't even have any gear that uses the textures yet (yunno because we're not in velious)? how is this statement relevant to anything

all you guys running around with your luclin models on still look like big stupid fat trolls to people using regular models, so everyone should be on the same page. it's important for coherence to have everyone seeing the same thing

QQ about how you didn't get your way some more, people

WTG Rogean

wrong, my velious textures work already.

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/9331/eq000091.png
http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/1200/eq000097.png
http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/8387/eq000092.png
http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/1878/eq000094.png
http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/8489/eq000095.png
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/1028/eq000096.png
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/6141/eq000100.png
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/8636/eq000101.png

stop trying to R&F this up.

I see nothing wrong with people that enjoy playing with models they like.

I've already said that Nilbog didn't like them, and after a poll, decided that he wasn't going to allow them. I have no problems with that decision either, as his counts more than mine.

moklianne
09-08-2011, 08:23 PM
go download the ui we have it

I know...

I didn't say I LIKED the old UI, its just the same concept.

Do another poll, ask how many would like the option to use the Luclin models if they could. The poll that was posted before just asked who was currently using it, due to no support, it was buggy as hell. Even I didn't use it for long.

Rogean
09-08-2011, 08:41 PM
How is there any armor out that uses the velious textures? Those were a completely new set of texture numbers that only started being used when the textures were put in.

Autotune
09-08-2011, 08:48 PM
How is there any armor out that uses the velious textures? Those were a completely new set of texture numbers that only started being used when the textures were put in.

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showpost.php?p=64871&postcount=34

Savok
09-08-2011, 09:13 PM

Because the Velious textures also updated the original type 1 armors as well as the ones in Velious release.

Drem
09-09-2011, 12:12 AM
oh there's a workaround, should've figured people can't just be happy with what they're given

Autotune
09-09-2011, 01:26 AM
oh there's a workaround, should've figured people can't just be happy with what they're given

Are you complaining that Savok has spent his time to help improve other's gameplay without negatively affecting anyone else's p99 experience?

The guy spends a great deal of time helping others and then you try to slap him in the face with it. That's pretty sad man.

Drem
09-09-2011, 02:58 AM
it's just superfluous

saying it "improves other's gameplay" is a stretch, at best. considering those armor textures didn't even exist until the next expansion, what's so OMG about having them now? what about when velious comes out and people working to earn those new armors don't even get recognized because every armor looks like that to you? bad idea. inconsistent. this isn't a single player game that you should be able to mod however you want to please yourself

Drem
09-09-2011, 03:00 AM
i understand it's a very American thing to just have whatever you think you should be able to, but you should also respect the vision of the server you're playing on

Morlaeth
09-09-2011, 03:22 AM
i have massive problems playing without winEQ. i can't make it work on my windows 7 system so i don't play on that one. my ogres and trolls only have heads and hands and some zones are 100% black. even text boxes but i can hear what is going on... and move.

you don't have to log in more than 1 instance to play and i doubt it is something that would ever cause you to be banned.....because many people have issues with dual or quad core systems without wineq.

i'm sure nilbog and rogean could comment further. i am not a dev. :P

TL;DR

fat.

jkjkjkjkjk

Alkorin
09-09-2011, 07:05 AM
i understand it's a very American thing to just have whatever you think you should be able to, but you should also respect the vision of the server you're playing on

Take your trolling elsewhere. What you find superfluous or irrelevant, others may find a worthwhile discussion point.

P.S. I'm not American.

Savok
09-09-2011, 07:56 AM
Zone texture updates - Velious release.
Armor texture updates - Velious release.
Model updates - Luclin release.

Code available with Titanium - all of the above.

All of these could of been available with the release of the server and I can understand that if given the choice the people who run this server would like to run as classic as possible. As far as gameplay goes I think they have done a fine good job with classes abilities and skills etc - spells and combat are pretty close to classic to me. But the visual look of the game is only seen as by the individual on a personal basis, how you have the game setup is unique to your setup. There are die hard 'classic' players, those who only played the later game and those who enjoy all of it ( like myself). Each of these players remembers the game in their way, be it old skool, new models or whatever.

Where somethings are as close to classic as it can be (combat as I said above, also spells and their visual effects), some things cannot (the old UI is just not usable with the Titanium client). As a UI modder for some 9 years on Live I would of still taken the classic UI because it was something I did use at the time. As many of the features that could get turned off did (I went through a bunch of windows to fix the xml errors in the tech forum) so that the Titanium UI could be a classic as possible within the client settings.

As we know everyone has an opinion on how the game should look. The server is aiming on being from release to Velious as we know and at some point new textures are going to be in the game (come Velious release) because this is how it was. I can understand why Nilbog turned off Luclin models because they do not fit the vision of the server, and I suspect was as easy as flipping a switch on his end. This was fine because you were switching off 1 of the 2 models and one had nothing to do with the other. Normally the server would load both sets of models into the global file and you would choose which set or combination you wanted to show.

With the textures its different to control because one is replacing another. Freeport West textures are the same file names whether you use new or old textures. The same for armor textures - the same file is used for a BP etc. These are cosmetic changes (meaning they have NO effect on gameplay at all) and are individual to each client machine. The person next to you could be seeing an entirely different thing to you.

At the end of the day I like to give people choices. Use my UI or default, use the velious textures or not. Either way it makes no difference to me how you want to play, as long as you play within the rules of the server.

Oh, btw I'm not American either.

Drem
09-09-2011, 08:40 AM
Take your trolling elsewhere. What you find superfluous or irrelevant, others may find a worthwhile discussion point.

P.S. I'm not American.

think you're misunderstanding me bub (also considering the title and intent of the thread i think you're a little wrong)

even on a game like morrowind i played it vanilla before i started modding. i like to respect what someone else designed and take it all in

i don't need everything in life to be like burger king and don't mind when a dev makes decisions for the greater good. if you think you seeing your own personal velious textures and luclin models, that theoretically 95% of the people around you aren't using, is a good thing (for you, which i'm sure it is, not gonna dispute that)..... well, i think it ruins aesthetic coherency. i think in general people would like to imagine that everyone's seeing the same thing they're seeing when playing a multiplayer-only game

i played live from kunark to underfoot. i'm used to everyone having all the options but i still miss it when everyone was forced to see the same shit and when velious armors were the tits. i don't want my patchwork bracer to look like velious leather. doesn't make any sense. it's like cheating or something, i dunno. i like things legit, the way they're supposed to be.

figure an old LoSer could at least understand that, since you guys were like fucking boss king in this era but hey, w/e, different strokes

if i were playing this on some other server i wouldn't care at all. i'm sure you don't believe me, and sorry if it comes off as trolling, yunno, sharing my opinion, like you guys are doing, but it is what it is

Rogean
09-09-2011, 10:48 AM
I tend to agree with Drem. The textures that come with the new armor from velious is something that distinguishes you as wearing that gear, especially when it comes to things like ToV armor. If I was someone wearing full ToV gear I wouldn't want to look like half the other people on the server wearing banded. It's something people see and go "Aw shit that guys a pimp".

Everquest is about the sense of accomplishment, and a huge part of that is the immersion related to these types of things.

P.S. This got me thinking that Velious will be pretty fun with all the ToV farming people get to do.

P.P.S. It's also funny that this debate happens to come up now, since next patch we will be making a change that will force the velious textures on for everyone, even though nobody has the textures yet except some of the GM's.

Alkorin
09-09-2011, 11:31 AM
Drem, I think we're both misunderstanding each other here. In the end, it's all about opinion. I've failed to acknowledge yours in the same way that you had failed to acknowledge mine, and in the end, we're both doing it wrong.

I've used both sets of models, yes. I don't miss the old models. I think they look like rough squares on top of rough squares, and we've come a long way since 1999. But, at the end of the day, this is less important than the overall enjoyment of the game. I will continue to play, using Titanium, with the old models, and life will go on. I could talk about immersion and imagination and whatnot all day, but meh.

(As a side note, I wasn't with LoS in this era. Wish I had been as I missed a lot of things I'd have enjoyed being a part of.)

Savok
09-09-2011, 01:07 PM
I tend to agree with Drem. The textures that come with the new armor from velious is something that distinguishes you as wearing that gear, especially when it comes to things like ToV armor. If I was someone wearing full ToV gear I wouldn't want to look like half the other people on the server wearing banded. It's something people see and go "Aw shit that guys a pimp".

You aware there are three different types of armor for each of the 4 types right? For example you have Plate, Velious Plate 1 and Velious Plate 2. Two of these are completely new styles of armor and one just replaces the old version.

Imbrued Breastplate (http://lucy.allakhazam.com/item.html?id=4862) = Plate look
Singing Steel Breastplate (http://lucy.allakhazam.com/item.html?id=4558) = Plate look
Melodic BP (PoG drop) (http://lucy.allakhazam.com/item.html?id=25487) = Velious Plate 1
BP of Twilight (Skyshrine quested armor) (http://lucy.allakhazam.com/item.html?id=31134) = Velious Plate 2

Currently the only armor that is any different are the standard plate/chain/leather/cloth looks that get updated with Velious as standard anyhow. Armor made or dropped from SoV generally has its own unique looks that varies from the standard types. There are some exceptions to this when you start looking at monks who have a whole category to themselves called monk (look up Wu's as an example).

All we have done is offered the look earlier for those who would like to make use of it, if you don't like it then don't use it.

BTW, I have the Velious textures on as well so if you want to model some standard/Kunark/Velious armor I'm more than happy to take a few pics of you to prove it.

Nsidious
09-09-2011, 01:50 PM

Everquest is about the sense of accomplishment, and a huge part of that is the immersion related to these types of things.

P.S. This got me thinking that Velious will be pretty fun with all the ToV farming people get to do.

P.P.S. It's also funny that this debate happens to come up now, since next patch we will be making a change that will force the velious textures on for everyone, even though nobody has the textures yet except some of the GM's.

so...
Luclin models off= make everyone's e-peen feel bigger??:confused:
Ive played since beta, and still have my account on live. While I love the server for the gameplay, I liked the luclin models better (just my personal preferance). The models have no bearing on gameplay, so why not just allow it for those who want it. The forum trolls who want to crucify those who want the change will be none-the-wiser.

Autotune
09-09-2011, 05:18 PM
so...
Luclin models off= make everyone's e-peen feel bigger??:confused:
Ive played since beta, and still have my account on live. While I love the server for the gameplay, I liked the luclin models better (just my personal preferance). The models have no bearing on gameplay, so why not just allow it for those who want it. The forum trolls who want to crucify those who want the change will be none-the-wiser.

Well the main reason they aren't is because Nilbog didn't want them. He is the "God" of p99. He felt he might be punishing people unjustly and did a poll where the majority didn't want them (the server was much smaller in population then too).

That is the main reason, imo, that luclin models are not allowed.

Rogean
09-09-2011, 05:53 PM
No luclin models on my watch.

purist
09-09-2011, 10:33 PM
The models have no bearing on gameplay, so why not just allow it for those who want it. The forum trolls who want to crucify those who want the change will be none-the-wiser.

anyone notice literally every problem is blamed on supposed forum trolls lately even when they have 0 bearing whatsoever on the discussion

unless you are calling nilbog/rogean forum trolls or something?

Rael
09-25-2011, 12:34 PM
SoF client does not suffer from the random crashes that Titanium does, rendering it effectively unplayable for many people...