PDA

View Full Version : Dexterity

sellawiz
09-02-2011, 01:55 AM
What is the purpose of Dexterity?

After many searches, it appears that the only thing it does is affect procs, is that right?

Lots of guys on live told me that it also affects warrior crit/crip, although I can't be sure.

found this:

http://code.google.com/p/projecteqemu/source/browse/trunk/EQEmuServer/zone/attack.cpp

Ugh can't understand!

Kyrus
09-02-2011, 02:25 AM
I think it affects how often you hit vs. miss your target as well...at least that's what I remember.

Vermicelli
09-02-2011, 02:28 AM
High dexterity increases melee proc rate in a major way. It also greatly affects how well you channel thru spell interruption. I am really surprised people don't mention it as one of the more important stats for a casting class.

Supaskillz
09-02-2011, 02:31 AM
I think it affects how often you hit vs. miss your target as well...at least that's what I remember.

It only has this effect on range attacks not on melee attacks.

sellawiz
09-02-2011, 02:36 AM
If you can point me to another dex thread, I'd be happy. Instead of putting tags anonymously.

Kyrus
09-02-2011, 03:30 AM
It only has this effect on range attacks not on melee attacks.

Ahh...interesting. I also didn't know it affected how well a caster is able to keep concentration while casting...

Slave
09-02-2011, 03:39 AM
Dexterity determins how fast you gain most physical skills as well as the highest of your WIS, INT, or DEX for Fletching.

username17
09-02-2011, 07:30 AM
From the Allakhazam creation guide back in the day. It claims str is best for a tank class,but other than that I'd say it's fairly accurate.

Strength
This is probably the most important skill for tanks. Strength affects your maximum damage cap, the average damage you do, how much stuff you can carry and how quickly you learn many offensive skills. If you plan on wearing heavy armor and carrying around a lot of extra equipment, you will need decent strength. With a high strength you can carry more loot and armor and go longer before having to run back to town to sell. If you plan on soloing, you may want to put extra points into strength, even if you are a magic user. It is definitely important for a fighter type to have good strength, but you should also consider some of the other attributes.

Stamina

One of the most important stats for all classes. The higher your stamina, the more hit points you get for each level. Over time, this can really pay off. It also affects how well you can breathe underwater. This is more important for the tank classes than magic users.

Dexterity

This determines how hard you hit with your bows, how quickly you learn weapon and rogue skills, and how often a magic weapon will process it's skill. This is a good skill to have for fighters, especially rangers and rogues, and of only limited use for magic users.

Agility

This determines how often you get hit or missed by an attack and how much damage you take when you get hit. It also affects how quickly you learn defensive skills. Since you will take less damage and have a better chance of not having your spells disrupted if you have a higher amount of agility, this is useful for both fighters and magic users. However, for magic users, its usefulness diminishes as you go up in levels and spend less time in actual melee. I wouldn't bother with this stat too much for a magic user who plans on grouping most of the time, but a solo magic user should probably have a high agility.

Intelligence

The most important stat for the basic caster classes. For Wizards, Magicians, Necromancers and Shadow Knights, the higher your intelligence, the more mana you get for each level. This is obviously very important since without mana a magic user is basically worthless. The higher value of intelligence or wisdom is used to determine how quickly you will learn most of your skills, which makes having one or the other high useful for all classes. Many would suggest that a magic user put all of his points here. Certainly, if you plan on spending most of your time in a group, intelligence is the most important stat to boost.

Wisdom

The same effect as intelligence for the deity-based magic users: Cleric, Shaman Druid, Paladin and Ranger. The higher your wisdom, the more mana you get for each level. Very important for the deity-based magic users, but much less important for everyone else. The higher value of intelligence or wisdom is used to determine how quickly you will learn most of your skills, which makes having one or the other high useful for all classes.

Charisma

The biggest effect of charisma is in the amount you will get buying from and selling to NPC’s. If they like you, they give you a better deal, which is not to be ignored in the cash starved world of Norrath. Charisma also affects the saving throw for charm spells, which makes it very useful for bards and enchanters.