PDA

View Full Version : iksar regen necro worth it?

tefog
09-02-2011, 12:18 AM
i want to reroll level 45 necro, is it worth it ?
how much regen at level 60 for iksar?

Clever
09-02-2011, 12:35 AM
Yes, the regen is worth it.

The tradeoff is the low starting INT, which means a smaller mana pool, and the negative xp mod. The basic rule of thumb on Iksar regen is that it'll let you run the next-to-best mana conversion spell you have all the time without really losing much (if any) HP at all. Stack HP gear instead of INT and focus on turning HP into as many spells as you need.

Matalus
09-02-2011, 12:35 AM
reason why iskars get neg exp. Yes it's worth it......so|o wise, group wise it won't make much differance

Slave
09-02-2011, 12:37 AM
It matters a lot, in my opinion as a dark elf necromancer. I have iksar envy. Then again, you level slower, but you'll always be more powerful at the same level.

Feachie
09-02-2011, 01:02 AM

The tradeoff is the low starting INT, which means a smaller mana pool, and the negative xp mod. The basic rule of thumb on Iksar regen is that it'll let you run the next-to-best mana conversion spell you have all the time without really losing much (if any) HP at all. Stack HP gear instead of INT and focus on turning HP into as many spells as you need.

he's asking if it's worth rerolling at lv45 to go iksar.

OP, type /played, multiply the days by 24

Clever
09-02-2011, 01:06 AM
he's asking if it's worth rerolling at lv45 to go iksar

The answer was yes.

Feachie
09-02-2011, 01:08 AM
at 45? to throw away...how many days of playtime?

just seems stupid to me

Ennoia
09-02-2011, 01:12 AM
Rerolling at 45 isn't worth it. While the regeneration and AC boost are pretty nice, think about things like having to faction grind just to bank near the tunnel. Sometimes convenience outweighs small benefits.

Galacticus
09-02-2011, 01:26 AM
Are you insane? Scrap a lvl 45 because of regen from another race?

* Natural Regeneration: Iksar regenerate faster than humans.

Human Level: standing, feigned, sitting

1-19: 1, 1, 2

20-49: 1, 1, 3

50: 1, 1, 4

51-55: 2, 3, 5

56-59: 3, 4, 6

60: 4, 5, 7

Iksar Level: standing, feigned, sitting

1-19: 2, 2, 4

20-49: 2, 2, 6

50: 2, 2, 8

51-55: 6, 8, 12

56-59: 10, 12, 16

60: 12, 14, 18

* Experience: Iksar require 20% more experience than Humans per level. This means for every 5 kills a Human makes, an Iksar must kill 6 to make the same progress.

At 60 your talking about a 11 hp difference sitting down per tick. Thats 11 hp more every 6 seconds to fill up your 2k health bar. Thats 110 hp a min extra.

You want to take a 20% exp cut for that? Every level you would need to earn about another extra yellow bubble just to be an iksar. For 11 hp every 6 seconds more.

Are you insane?

Clever
09-02-2011, 01:49 AM
Are you insane? Scrap a lvl 45 because of regen from another race?

Upon achieving level 45, you've only accumulated 19% of the xp necessary to reach level 60. Even with the xp penalty, getting the first fifth of your char back isn't really that difficult, especially with a gear and plat jumpstart.

And that 11 point per tick? That's 11 points MORE than the other races. Lich drains 22 hp per tick, which becomes only a 4-hp per tick loss on an Iksar as opposed to 15 on anything else. Demi drains 32, which becomes 14 to an Iksar and 25 to anything else. Necros live in lich when grinding, and taps/dot-taps to get that liched HP back prior to 49 are barely worth the mana your hp paid for them. Add regen to the calculation, however, and you find that your lich pays out more mana, and your taps can be replaced with more efficient dots.

Does it make up for the 19% of a char you'll have to re-play, and the 20% XP hit you'll take? You bet it does. Ten times over.

Xatava
09-02-2011, 02:08 AM
Upon achieving level 45, you've only accumulated 19% of the xp necessary to reach level 60. Even with the xp penalty, getting the first fifth of your char back isn't really that difficult, especially with a gear and plat jumpstart.

You do realize you get more exp per kill the higher the level of the mob you're killing is, right?

Doors
09-02-2011, 02:09 AM
Not worth it.

georgie
09-02-2011, 02:13 AM
you can always just go back to your original necro if you don't find the leveling easy enough..

Vermicelli
09-02-2011, 02:21 AM
Upon achieving level 45, you've only accumulated 19% of the xp necessary to reach level 60.

Holy-- .. is this true? Makes me wanna cry if so.

If you enjoy playing the race you are right now, stick with it. If not and if you have no realspace life at all to speak of, then go for an iksar because I have heard marvelous things about the +regeneration.

Motec
09-02-2011, 02:27 AM
Reroll, powerlevel new necro to 45 over a night or 3.

Problem solved.

isoka
09-02-2011, 03:20 AM
Reroll, powerlevel new necro to 45 over a night or 3.

Problem solved.

And spend a night or 3 casting level 1 spells to raise alteration, abjuration, evocation and divination, then problem solved :)

Motec
09-02-2011, 03:29 AM
And spend a night or 3 casting level 1 spells to raise alteration, abjuration, evocation and divination, then problem solved :)

Can do this whilst powerlevelling too :p

Supaskillz
09-02-2011, 03:39 AM

And that 11 point per tick? That's 11 points MORE than the other races. Lich drains 22 hp per tick, which becomes only a 4-hp per tick loss on an Iksar as opposed to 15 on anything else. Demi drains 32, which becomes 14 to an Iksar and 25 to anything else. Necros live in lich when grinding, and taps/dot-taps to get that liched HP back prior to 49 are barely worth the mana your hp paid for them. Add regen to the calculation, however, and you find that your lich pays out more mana, and your taps can be replaced with more efficient dots.

Does it make up for the 19% of a char you'll have to re-play, and the 20% XP hit you'll take? You bet it does. Ten times over.

While this is true it is misleading. The mobs you kill at higher levels give more xp than the mobs you killed at lower levels.

Messianic
09-02-2011, 09:04 AM

It doesn't, unfortunately =/ Running the #'s:

Levels 8-19 - an extra 2 hp per tick, sitting = 20 hp extra per minute. Dark Pact = 2 mana for 4 hp every tick, or 0.5 mana for each hp, so 10 extra mana per minute.

Levels 20-34 - An extra 3 hp per tick, sitting = 30 hp extra per minute. Allure of Death = 4 mana for 8 hp every tick, or 0.5 mana for each hp, so 15 extra mana per minute.

Levels 34-48 - An extra 3 hp per tick, sitting = 30 hp extra, blah blah - Call of Bones = 8 mana for 16 hp, so 0.5 mana for each hp. 15 extra mana per minute.

Level 49 - extra 3 hp per tick, 30 hp extra per minute - Lich has a .625 mana-hp ratio, so approximately 19 extra mana per minute.

Level 50 - extra 4 per tick sitting regen. 40 extra hp per minute. 25 extra mana per minute.

Are you seeing my point?

Let's just jump to level 60:

Arch Lich = 35/53 mana/hp per tick, with 11 extra hp regen while sitting (7 for non-regen races, 18 for iksar). 110 hp per minute, so approximately 70 mana extra per minute, which isn't half bad - but definitely doesn't offset the iksar experience penalty (even ignoring all the lost time from 1-49), even if that same amount of mana was being given throughout your 50s - which it's not, it's a little lower.

If you play iksar, you can play it for the end-game uberness, or appearance, or cool hunting grounds or because you love kunark, or any other assortment of reasons which I entirely agree with :) - but faster leveling isn't one of those.

Sources:
Regen: http://www.monkly-business.net/index.php?pageid=abilities
Spells: http://crys.org/everquest/spells/necrospells.asp?minrank=1&maxrank=65

If i'm wrong on any of those necro lich-type spells in terms of their ratio, i apologize and am totally open to correction...

Crossposting for funzies.

azeth
09-02-2011, 09:38 AM
Yes, it's worth it. You could be 45 in less than a couple weeks of relatively casual play time given you'll be twinked & know where to go to level/how to play a necro.

Nazran
09-02-2011, 11:26 AM
Human Necros are cool...

akahdrin
09-02-2011, 11:52 AM
Yes it's worth it. Every drop of mana you don't need to spend on lifetaps or your leach line is obviously better.

knottyb0y
09-02-2011, 12:09 PM
Iksar Necro's are more powerful than any necro of the same level with same gear period.

If you want to reroll you will run through those 45 levels again they will suck but 46+ will be nice.

Resil
09-02-2011, 12:38 PM
I love Necro iksars.

By look
By stats
By all

The Exp penalty not is a problem in my opinion

mwatt
09-02-2011, 08:39 PM
I have a DE level 57 Necro. I originally wanted to roll an Iksar, for the regen primarily. However, at the time I created a Necro, Kunark release date was pie in the sky. I couldn't wait.

When Kunark came out I was right about level 45. I did not reroll.

So, I didn't think it was worth it, at that point of my existence on the server. I needed a farming char (though I really enjoy playing a Necro anyway) and didn't want to start all over at level 1. I have a stable of alts to support.

When velious comes out, we'll be able to tap an eye for health, which ameliorates the lack of Iksar regen to some extent.

In the final analysis, when I have hit 60 with several alts and done most of what I can do in Kunark and Velios, I may well roll up an Iksar Necro and level him up to 60. It will give me something to do. I already have an extra CoS reserved just for this purpose. However, I can always raid my existing Necro for gear if I feel the need as I level the Iksar.

baub
09-02-2011, 08:42 PM
sell your current necro and go for it.

dooo ittttt

Juugox2
09-02-2011, 09:07 PM
its worth it because iksars are pimp 1-45 is not bad esp with gear i mean if you were talking about rerolling at 60 it would be different

tefog
09-02-2011, 09:14 PM
what level can i use dreaded gaze staff? i got one of those

username17
09-02-2011, 09:21 PM
what level can i use dreaded gaze staff? i got one of those

http://wiki.project1999.org/index.php/Staff_of_the_Dreaded_Gaze

Level 40

Autotune
09-02-2011, 09:22 PM
I wouldn't reroll for it now personally.

I would of started an iksar if they were available when i made my necro.

SwordNboard
09-02-2011, 10:03 PM
Iksar can't wear GEBs!!

..but who cares?

cadiz
09-03-2011, 02:47 AM
i want to reroll level 45 necro, is it worth it ?
how much regen at level 60 for iksar?

I had this dilemma on live, having played a human necro to lvl 36 or so, I ended up re-rolling Iksar and it was totally worth it. For any other class/race I'd say no, but Necro is a special case in my opinion - regen is everything.

Banking really isn't an issue, you can bank FD no problem in most places and there is also Runneye.. not to mention Cab is probably one of the best areas as a home base anyways in Kunark.

At the end of the day it's a personal decision but I found it was well worth it, though leveling back up was troublesome I'm glad that I did. Think long and hard about it, and really ask yourself if some pain now re-leveling is worth permanent +regen later as a Necro - when you get Lich at 49 it will really start to sting as a soft-skin :)

Juugox2
09-03-2011, 08:27 AM
Iksar can't wear GEBs!!

..but who cares?

exactly since there shit once your caped out :P