08-31-2011, 09:44 PM
Enjoy

http://pastebin.com/fZsDp6z2

Erasong
08-31-2011, 10:07 PM
wow. wtfz goin on here.

ShowEQ
08-31-2011, 10:19 PM
The concept of this whole ordeal is a community cheat.

The amusing part is the entire Project 1999 and EQEMU system is a cheat against EQ. Every player here is cheating Sony out of money by playing this game in this environment. So to see all of the users lashing out at people who use ShowEQ is another one of lifes laughable moments.

A bunch of thieves claiming they have honor themselves and lashing out at those who choose to augment the way they have fun in this environment is plain silly.

MQ2 is going too far and I can understand not wanting it to be used but myseq and showeq are just crutches. They don't do anything significant, just give the user of them a handicap to augment their playtime.

A bunch of bigotry in the crew of those who lash out at the people punished. Looking at aspects of mt computer without first telling me you were going to is an equal cheat against the players. None of any of this from any perspective is legitimate. To claim the high ground while standing right next to me makes you pathetic.

Had you warned the community you were about to turn on this sort of monitoring then people would have had a choice. Turn off the tools or stop playing. Instead a bullshit approach was chosen.

Fair justice.... Sure... Without honor, absolutely. Even less honor than the claimed cheaters since it is basically running showeq against my computer without telling me.

Badmartigan
08-31-2011, 10:32 PM
I have no idea if it's true but if it is... Kinda lame.

purist
08-31-2011, 10:39 PM
The amusing part is the entire Project 1999 and EQEMU system is a cheat against EQ. Every player here is cheating Sony out of money by playing this game in this environment. So to see all of the users lashing out at people who use ShowEQ is another one of lifes laughable moments.

great troll

mwatt
08-31-2011, 10:45 PM
I am not certain about the article itself, I think the part about what can be done via "hooking into USER.DLL" is trumped up, at a minimum. However, I want to play and I don't care. If I discover issues I'll deal with it then, but so far, IMO, Rogean and crew have given me no reason to distrust them. It is possible that code was introduced that Rogean is not even aware of - perhaps there is an issue here, but if so, I trust him to ensure that it is corrected.

The post by "ShowEQ" is just hogwash.

All of this is just FUD promulgated by those with red hands, IMO.

Convict
08-31-2011, 10:46 PM
omg rogean and uthgaard on our systemz watchin our pr0nz

vageta31
08-31-2011, 11:03 PM
In a round-a-bout sort of way, he is right. Cheaters had ShowEQ, now P99 devs have ShowPC. I don't know enough about security to know if they can truly see what has been touted, but it wouldn't surprise me. Hackers can access information with far less of a gateway than an actual file you willingly download and run for an extended amount of time, ie; anytime you're playing EQ.

It comes down to this. To catch the cheaters, this sort of invasion was necessary. Would you rather have this method and not have cheaters, or lose the invasion and know that cheaters are in game? I personally don't have any worries about the Devs themselves doing anything with the information, it's other people that may gain access to your computer via the same pathway I'd be concerned about.

Otto
08-31-2011, 11:05 PM
The only people who should be concerned about the file are the people who have something to hide.

You honestly don't trust the people that have built this server from nothing and are providing it for free to you? I think that says something about you, not the people who run the server.

And hey, maybe that idea shows how ignorant and or foolish I am. Whatever.

Erasong
08-31-2011, 11:10 PM
The only people who should be concerned about the file are the people who have something to hide.

You honestly don't trust the people that have built this server from nothing and are providing it for free to you? I think that says something about you, not the people who run the server.

whats up otto. all it takes is 1 bad day bro.

achtung
08-31-2011, 11:11 PM
Even if this were true, hooray for Linux!

soup
08-31-2011, 11:13 PM

There's no such thing as having too little trust in people on the internet.

Not saying that I don't trust Rogean and crew. Just saying that it's never a bad idea to be a bit skeptical of people on the internet that you really know nothing about.

Ihealyou
08-31-2011, 11:15 PM
Reads like the script to a play, tbh.

Ring
08-31-2011, 11:16 PM

Really? Access to your system, the ability to read any file for a video game? Yeah, it sure says something about me when I have issues giving a couple of guys running a quasi-legal emulated server complete access to my system. It says I'm not an idiot.

jetviper21
08-31-2011, 11:23 PM
For the record I am a computer software engineer.

I posted this once put ill post it again:

IMHO this could be a potential for legal privacy concerns or even illegal wiretapping. If you value your financial and other personal information I wouldn't run these dll's without some kind of privacy statement or a legal binding contract that holds them responsible for potential malicious intent.

This is a huge personal security and or legal nightmare. You can say "well then don't play" but the truth is I can't trust this code thats getting executed and neither should you and the fact that it wasn't explained in detail in the release notes and the source isn't offered makes it border line coercion.

While this might have caught cheaters i think this was the total wrong approach to take and frankly irresponsible from a computer security stand point.

Ring
08-31-2011, 11:29 PM
Oh by the way before some genius comes in here and compares this to Blizzard, Valve or SOE -- those are companies that can be held legally responsible if something goes wrong. There's a little more leeway there versus volunteers doing something for free.

A million things can go wrong from bugs in the code, a third party with access to the data, yada yada, things that don't all have to do with trusting the staff or not (though still not trusting anyone with that sort of access to my system).

Bubbles
08-31-2011, 11:40 PM
Man if i had a huge issue with this i like.. umm.. wouldnt play on p99.

My second choice would be to bitch about it in server chat, but hey. :)

TR Spokesman
09-01-2011, 12:02 AM
I know where they live. i'll send them some nasty letters when my computer blows up.

"hey dude, ur EQ dll thingy made my computer plastic metal thingy melt and die. Please tell me how i can continue playing on P99"

Seriously tho, I don't want a lawyer if my computer stuffs gets leaked thru p99. I will lose mad respect with the ladies.

her: "Why don't you take me out anymore?"
me: "well um.... i got mugged"
her: "but you don't look harmed"
me: "It was an E-thug. He stole my info thru some shadow .dll file"
her: "fucking geek! i'm go find some other balls to play with"
me: "fml"

Ulivar
09-01-2011, 12:05 AM
so for the not so genius at computers, few quick questions, can this potentially obtain passwords/logins for banking information done while alt tabbed from the game? Does this create a "backdoor" to my computer while not playing? I have no problem w/showing developers what im runing while running eq program wise... but really the above is making me somewhat concerned at the full intentions behind this.

Friday
09-01-2011, 12:14 AM
so for the not so genius at computers, few quick questions, can this potentially obtain passwords/logins for banking information done while alt tabbed from the game? Does this create a "backdoor" to my computer while not playing? I have no problem w/showing developers what im runing while running eq program wise... but really the above is making me somewhat concerned at the full intentions behind this.

Me: What all do you think they could potentially do with that dll?
Him: Potential? Infinite. Reality? Depends on the operating system.
Me: Say.. Windows 7 or XP?
Him: If you run EverQuest as administrator — full access to your system.

IMHO this could be a potential for legal privacy concerns or even illegal wiretapping. If you value your financial and other personal information I wouldn't run these dll's without some kind of privacy statement or a legal binding contract that holds them responsible for potential malicious intent.

vageta31
09-01-2011, 12:18 AM

I believe the idea is that the file itself is not malicious, it's intent is solely to find out which players are using 3rd party programs. However as a side effect it can possibly lead to other security issues, via unforeseen bugs or other eyes that may spy upon the information gathered.

I'm no lawyer, but I'd imagine if SOE or another company's software had issues they can be held responsible for any security breaches. This however isn't a large corporation.

Feachie
09-01-2011, 12:26 AM
what's the source of that pastebin? i mean, the name of who you're talking to... i don't buy it tbh
192.168.3.1 or something nonstandard like that, they can go ahead and masturbate and say you're likely running ShowEQ as a router)

i would be banned for sure if this were true, because our network is very nonstandard. i think a lot of this is trumped up, if you're that worried step up security on your end and stop crying.

Atennu
09-01-2011, 12:29 AM
I did not have this conversation i just came across this

Friday
09-01-2011, 12:29 AM
Why does that say,

"they can go ahead and masturbate and say..."

Feachie
09-01-2011, 12:33 AM
I did not have this conversation i just came across this

so you're this guy?
http://nowscape.com/mormon/images/Joseph_Smith_Hat_South_park.jpg

dum dum dum dum dum

edit: found a better one

Harrison
09-01-2011, 12:41 AM

A bunch of thieves claiming they have honor themselves and lashing out at those who choose to augment the way they have fun in this environment is plain silly.

MQ2 is going too far and I can understand not wanting it to be used but myseq and showeq are just crutches. They don't do anything significant, just give the user of them a handicap to augment their playtime.

A bunch of bigotry in the crew of those who lash out at the people punished. Looking at aspects of mt computer without first telling me you were going to is an equal cheat against the players. None of any of this from any perspective is legitimate. To claim the high ground while standing right next to me makes you pathetic.

Had you warned the community you were about to turn on this sort of monitoring then people would have had a choice. Turn off the tools or stop playing. Instead a bullshit approach was chosen.

Fair justice.... Sure... Without honor, absolutely. Even less honor than the claimed cheaters since it is basically running showeq against my computer without telling me.

Shut the fuck up, retard.

mitic
09-01-2011, 01:33 AM
iam just waiting for the moment when nilbog says: fuck you all, iam closing this poject

Harrison
09-01-2011, 01:42 AM
I think it's coming, soon.

As much as I loved the project it's gone downhill overall, IMO.

This latest limpwristed lack of iron fist bans, disgusts me.

mitic
09-01-2011, 01:46 AM

the community is the project, so yes it definitely went downhill

Roanoke
09-01-2011, 01:51 AM
So let me get this straight. This .dll file that WE ALL HAVE DOWNLOADED IN ORDER TO PLAY P1999 is a virus (specifically a trojan)? Yet the only people who seem to have any knowledge of the virus are the people who are suspended.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it a little odd that very few people have had any issue with their virus protection flagging the file?

And it is as simple as "then don't play". If you are worried about the intengrity of the people who run this server delete the files and be done with it.

Stop making these threads.

pragmus
09-01-2011, 01:56 AM
Shut the fuck up, retard.
Nice one Harrison. That was fucking top shelf man. Do you do parties? OH FUCK IT, I probably couldn't afford those yo-momma-level insult skills you posses.

Fact: The guy who you just schooled on such an epic level actually presented some very solid logic. Give him some credit and don't be a douchebag or your word is worthless.

Badmartigan
09-01-2011, 02:17 AM

built this server from nothing and are providing it for free to you?

Badmartigan
09-01-2011, 02:19 AM

http://marytv.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/limp2-150x150.jpg

Dirtnap
09-01-2011, 02:28 AM

Sounds like a top notch scam to me. Give you something you really want for free, then slip files onto your computer after gaining your trust. Then stealing all your information for various things like your bank account.

That doesn't seem at all plausible?

EDIT: I'm not saying that's what they are doing. But its possible.

soup
09-01-2011, 02:43 AM
Sounds like a top notch scam to me. Give you something you really want for free, then slip files onto your computer after gaining your trust. Then stealing all your information for various things like your bank account.

Same thought crossed my mind rofl

I mean, I don't AT ALL think that's what they're doing. Not even a tiny bit. But it would be a pretty genius scam if it was pulled off, lol

Asfasfos
09-01-2011, 02:45 AM

If you guys are afraid of these stupid things, because these topic is really stupid, all games can access to your computer and to your data, Everquest, Daoc, WoW, AoC, read the fucking EULA and they can even sell your data to third parties.

So, if you are afraid of these, you can run Everquest in a Virtual Machine without any important information, or run Everquest in a SandBox, then you don't have nothing to fear because the process can only access to a part of HD or memory.

To be honest, If I were the devs, I would just close this server because it's really full of retards, you guys are doing a good job for the community but there is always some people that like to flame, spam or whatever.

You are doing something for free, for the community, for the people, and sometimes this forums seems like a bunch of retards that just want to fuck the server, it's incredible how big is the human stupidity.

mitic
09-01-2011, 02:47 AM

just stop playin (and especialy posting) you ungrateful piece of shit.

they are trying hard to provide us a clean and enjoyable gamingexperience and this is what they get

To be honest, If I were the devs, I would just close this server because it's really full of retards

this

Tombom
09-01-2011, 02:51 AM
you people... make me sick

Zereh
09-01-2011, 03:20 AM
Don't confuse the true community of this server with this cesspool of a forum. I'm not saying they don't overlap in some places, but there are way more honest and upright folks around here then there are cheaters.

leefyg
09-01-2011, 03:20 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Long_Con

Dirtnap
09-01-2011, 03:26 AM
just stop playin (and especialy posting) you ungrateful piece of shit.

they are trying hard to provide us a clean and enjoyable gamingexperience and this is what they get

this

Sorry chief, but I'm not going to kiss ass to the devs. I appreciate the work they put in, but some people kiss way too much ass on this server.

Humerox
09-01-2011, 04:12 AM

LOL...waaaaay too many people know Nilbog, or are within one degree of separation.

I'm not worried a bit. And the scenario is definitely not plausible.

soup
09-01-2011, 04:21 AM
LOL...waaaaay too many people know Nilbog, or are within one degree of separation.

I'm not worried a bit. And the scenario is definitely not plausible.

Plausible? Not really.

Possible? Absolutely.

Yet again, let me reiterate that I do not think they are doing ANYTHING shady, at all. Not even a tiny bit of suspicion.

mitic
09-01-2011, 04:28 AM
so let them reset that .dll or whatever it is that spies out if someone is using mq or not so all those hackers have an easy game again.

same what the devs do, they are always doing it wrong!

must.... question.... EVERYTHING!

Tombom
09-01-2011, 04:35 AM
I don't know why all you virgins are so worried about your pron and the $112 in your wellsfargo jr. checking account. Mommy will always be there to give you dinner, just have to go up the basement stairs and mabey miss a raid or two ta get it.

soup
09-01-2011, 04:36 AM
so let them reset that .dll or whatever it is that spies out if someone is using mq or not so all those hackers have an easy game again.

same what the devs do, they are always doing it wrong!

must.... question.... EVERYTHING!

What exactly are you even talking about?

soup
09-01-2011, 04:39 AM
I don't know why all you virgins are so worried about your pron and the $112 in your wellsfargo jr. checking account. Mommy will always be there to give you dinner, just have to go up the basement stairs and mabey miss a raid or two ta get it.

Is this you projecting?

I mean, I know it may be hard to believe that some people have some pretty important stuff on their computers, but believe it or not, it's true!

(yet again, let me reiterate for the illiterate morons that I DO NOT AT ALL think that the devs are doing anything even remotely shady)

mitic
09-01-2011, 05:01 AM
Is this you projecting?

I mean, I know it may be hard to believe that some people have some pretty important stuff on their computers, but believe it or not, it's true!

(yet again, let me reiterate for the illiterate morons that I DO NOT AT ALL think that the devs are doing anything even remotely shady)

so what do you realy expext other than answers you dont like over your remarks that our devs COULD do something shady? they always tried the best to give us a cheatfree environment to play

Harrison
09-01-2011, 05:06 AM
I love what they did with the DLL to catch people. They aren't doing anything shady with it, and I fucking love that they did it overall.

I don't like what they didn't do with who they caught, though.

I don't see why this hurts so many butts. Probably, and very likely given the sheer amount of people, you're related in some way to those caught. (If not one of them yourself...)

visage
09-01-2011, 05:06 AM
o god

Arrisard
09-01-2011, 05:07 AM
So, lets name as much as we can that is the reality of almost any program installed on a PC these days to rouse the lay-sheep hordes into a frenzy?

Oh no, a game that requires an internet connection knows my local routing structure, UNBELIEVABLE. They know my Windows logon name ... it's part of the file structure and what the hell program doesn't access the user directory these days - hint, EQ does on Windows 7 if you install to one of the Program Files!

(I'm not saying Rogean and company aren't hax0ring your megahurtz or you shouldn't remain vigilant, however, what's been posted is sounds like complete bullshit so far. Dihydrogen Monoxide kills, ban it!)

soup
09-01-2011, 05:29 AM
so what do you realy expext other than answers you dont like over your remarks that our devs COULD do something shady? they always tried the best to give us a cheatfree environment to play

Yet again I'm not even sure what you're trying to say?

I've made it as blatantly clear as I possibly can that I don't think they're doing anything shady, so I'm not sure what you're even saying with stuff like "answers you don't like"

soup
09-01-2011, 05:32 AM
So, lets name as much as we can that is the reality of almost any program installed on a PC these days to rouse the lay-sheep hordes into a frenzy?

Oh no, a game that requires an internet connection knows my local routing structure, UNBELIEVABLE. They know my Windows logon name ... it's part of the file structure and what the hell program doesn't access the user directory these days - hint, EQ does on Windows 7 if you install to one of the Program Files!

(I'm not saying Rogean and company aren't hax0ring your megahurtz or you shouldn't remain vigilant, however, what's been posted is sounds like complete bullshit so far. Dihydrogen Monoxide kills, ban it!)

It sounds like there's just as much of a frenzy in the opposite direction.

"It -could- do some stuff that people may not approve of. It probably isn't, and I don't think it is nor do I think the developer's are doing anything shady at all. I would just like to know a little more about it, that's it. Let me reiterate that I do not think they are up to anything remotely malicious."

and that is followed with replies like

"WTF why are you in such a paranoid frenzy!?!"

mitic
09-01-2011, 05:35 AM
Yet again I'm not even sure what you're trying to say?

I've made it as blatantly clear as I possibly can that I don't think they're doing anything shady, so I'm not sure what you're even saying with stuff like "answers you don't like"

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad87/Zhyd/DoubleFacepalmRickerPicard.jpg

soup
09-01-2011, 05:39 AM
http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad87/Zhyd/DoubleFacepalmRickerPicard.jpg

You seem like quite the literate & articulate individual.

Arrisard
09-01-2011, 05:41 AM
It sounds like there's just as much of a frenzy in the opposite direction.

"It -could- do some stuff that people may not approve of. It probably isn't, and I don't think it is nor do I think the developer's are doing anything shady at all. I would just like to know a little more about it, that's it. Let me reiterate that I do not think they are up to anything remotely malicious."

and that is followed with replies like

"WTF why are you in such a paranoid frenzy!?!"

My post had nothing to do with the responses, only the unreferenced and overtly vague references mentioned in the link OP provided.

soup
09-01-2011, 05:43 AM
My post had nothing to do with the responses, only the unreferenced and overtly vague references mentioned in the link OP provided.

Fair enough :)

Either way though, it still seems like there's just as much backlash in the other direction.

Arrisard
09-01-2011, 05:46 AM
Fair enough :)

Either way though, it still seems like there's just as much backlash in the other direction.

Absolutely true. I did state that it doesn't mean that Rogean et all aren't about to rape you all and that it shouldn't be looked at further. Only that what's been offered so far is not very compelling in the least bit.

mitic
09-01-2011, 05:51 AM

whats so hard to understand? u keep pointing out that fraud can occur due to the current files stored on our computers. just stop posting things like this even if you dont think nilbog and staff would do that. you are just feeding the trolls in here with statements like this

soup
09-01-2011, 06:04 AM
whats so hard to understand? u keep pointing out that fraud can occur due to the current files stored on our computers. just stop posting things like this even if you dont think nilbog and staff would do that. you are just feeding the trolls in here with statements like this

You are correct to an extent.

At the same time though, it's not my place to tell people who they should trust.

In any case, my original post wasn't supposed to be conspiracy theory shit. It was supposed to be taken the same way as something like, I don't know. Say you loan your friend your car so he can run to the store and pick up beer, and winds up taking a little longer than expected because he runs into a friend at the store and they chat. Meanwhile, back at home, you're sitting there joking with something like "Damnit, I knew that bastard was going to steal my car and skip town."

Davardo
09-01-2011, 06:16 AM
To not be suspicious of someone over the internet having access to personal informationis being a moron. They should tell us what exactly the file can do. If they don't make some kind of statment, stickied, and on the front page, I will stop playing here.

Arrisard
09-01-2011, 06:56 AM
To not be suspicious of someone over the internet having access to personal informationis being a moron. They should tell us what exactly the file can do. If they don't make some kind of statment, stickied, and on the front page, I will stop playing here.

Again, not a statement if the files are actually malicious or not, however ...

You're gonna wait for (edit; actually continue to use) the files until the people who made the file to say it's ok first? :confused:

You people crack me up.

Robben
09-01-2011, 07:35 AM
The monitoring software was obviously warranted if they found over 300 accounts using MQ/SeQ/etc. (I don't keep up w/ that crap)

If it truly bothers you that much, I would recommend uninstalling P1999 and never posting on the forums again.

You're wasting your time complaining.

You didn't make the server, you don't pay to play here. STFU and STFD

Atennu
09-01-2011, 07:36 AM
The monitoring software was obviously warranted if they found over 300 accounts using MQ/SeQ/etc. (I don't keep up w/ that crap)

If it truly bothers you that much, I would recommend uninstalling P1999 and never posting on the forums again.

You're wasting your time complaining.

You didn't make the server, you don't pay to play here. STFU and STFD

I bet you're a big Lee Marvin fan

Robben
09-01-2011, 07:43 AM
I bet you're a big Lee Marvin fan

I have no idea who that is, I'll google him after this post :)

Striiker
09-01-2011, 09:04 AM
Uhh, yeah. If anyone believes that BS snippet then you are being fooled. If you are seriously concerned about privacy then play the game in a sandbox on your computer or play in on a computer which does not contain sensitive information or don't play the game at all. Also, do you honestly think that the devs really want to see your personal info on your computer? (They could care less.. I'm sorry but your importance in the world is not as significant as you imagine)
The reality is that people are cheating and steps need to be taken to address the cheating otherwise the server population will implode as players leave due to rampant cheating. In the end those of us who really want a great classic EQ experience will move on and the cheaters will remain to show how awesome they are... to nobody.. well other than a handful of cheating players and what's the point in that? This is just like the days when Punkbuster first came out and people were getting upset because it could allow someone to see what was being displayed to the player etc. It was necessary to try to keep people interested in playing. I've completely abandoned online games before because of cheating. I don't want to see this happen to Project1999.
Remember, there will be a lot of crap being spread around by players who were suspended or are upset that they can't cheat at a game. It's very easy to fake details and make them look authentic (the original poster of this thread obviously didn't make any effort towards that end).

So, play the game and enjoy it. If you worry about your personal privacy, take steps to safeguard it.

Bossco
09-01-2011, 09:18 AM
First off, I want to thank Mitic for being a constant source of entertainment. You always make me lawl bro <3

Now, let's get back to the topic...

Anyone who isn't concerned about this should be. Have you really not played on this server? Do you not understand who the people are running this server? Why don't we take the head guys one by one.

Nilbog: Alright, let's be fair. I've never had a bad experience with Nilbog. Yes, he has been known to pick and choose 'classic' features, but eh, whatever. The man is the voice of reason on the staff, but he doesn't seem to take the hands on approach necessary to reign in the rest of the staff.

Rogean: Props, rogean you do a great job. That being said, he's like 22. Maybe I'm an asshole, but I would rather not tempt a kid with the opportunity to scam a couple thousand people out of their bank acct's. I don't think Rogean would ever do this, but do you really want to take the chance? How well do you know him, really?

Uthgaard: Lawl. If you have been paying attention at all for the last 16-18 months, you'd cross the street to get away from this man, much less offer him your pin number.

Secrets: <3 you Secrets. keep living your life the way you feel most comfortable. That being said, if you have no idea what I'm talking about, do you really know Secrets well enough to hand over access to your pc?

Oh wait, and iirc, p99 hasn't exactly been 100% secure with their own data in the past. With the existence and distribution of this .dll public knowledge, who knows who will attempt to access it and use it for their own purposes? Sony got hacked hard recently. p99 have a better security team? Doubtful.

TL;DR Anyone who isn't concerned about this is an idiot. If you see bossco online it is because he is now a guild toon of TR. P99 uninstalled.

p.s. I don't cheat, bossco is still lvl 60. It isn't just those sus'd that are concerned.

visage
09-01-2011, 09:20 AM
First off, I want to thank Mitic for being a constant source of entertainment. You always make me lawl bro <3

Now, let's get back to the topic...

Anyone who isn't concerned about this should be. Have you really not played on this server? Do you not understand who the people are running this server? Why don't we take the head guys one by one.

Nilbog: Alright, let's be fair. I've never had a bad experience with Nilbog. Yes, he has been known to pick and choose 'classic' features, but eh, whatever. The man is the voice of reason on the staff, but he doesn't seem to take the hands on approach necessary to reign in the rest of the staff.

Rogean: Props, rogean you do a great job. That being said, he's like 22. Maybe I'm an asshole, but I would rather not tempt a kid with the opportunity to scam a couple thousand people out of their bank acct's. I don't think Rogean would ever do this, but do you really want to take the chance? How well do you know him, really?

Uthgaard: Lawl. If you have been paying attention at all for the last 16-18 months, you'd cross the street to get away from this man, much less offer him your pin number.

Secrets: <3 you Secrets. keep living your life the way you feel most comfortable. That being said, if you have no idea what I'm talking about, do you really know Secrets well enough to hand over access to your pc?

Oh wait, and iirc, p99 hasn't exactly been 100% secure with their own data in the past. With the existence and distribution of this .dll public knowledge, who knows who will attempt to access it and use it for their own purposes? Sony got hacked hard recently. p99 have a better security team? Doubtful.

TL;DR Anyone who isn't concerned about this is an idiot. If you see bossco online it is because he is now a guild toon of TR. P99 uninstalled.

p.s. I don't cheat, bossco is still lvl 60. It isn't just those sus'd that are concerned.

Wheres my damn praise Bossco I am like in awe.

Bossco
09-01-2011, 09:24 AM
yeah. i have no idea who you are.

Sake
09-01-2011, 10:02 AM
Have the staff mentioned anything at all about these files yet? As someone who was interested prior to hearing about this in playing I am a bit concerned that there hasn't been a word from the staff.

Seems like a lot of speculation / concerns could be remedied if the staff would just be transparent on this issue with the player base. Its not like the files aren't common knowledge from what it seems, so it doesn't seem like a legit reason to stay quiet about it aside from concerning your player base?

If there is a staff update and I missed it id appreciate if someone linked, simply interested in playing but this seems sketchy. Also surprised at the amount of people not concerned about their personal privacy.

Jigga
09-01-2011, 10:08 AM
its amazing what people will do when they have an addiction

Shannacore
09-01-2011, 10:14 AM
Rogean makes bank, he doesn't need your bank account infoz

Sake
09-01-2011, 10:23 AM
That isn't at all relevant in a situation like this. The biggest issue is what happens when an outside source manages to get the information? Sure the staff may be using only the information they need. But it comes down to how the information is stored etc and what kind of security is in place to protect anyones privacy against 3rd parties.

Also does it pull as much information as claimed? If it just checks the processes running ok, but if it is gaining a lot more information as suggested in the OP then what? Its a very thin line, with no details from those that are issuing the invasion of peoples privacy.

However since you brought it up even though slightly unrelated, when has being well off stopped anyone from scamming people out of their money? Hell, look at most big corps who do *anything* for a penny.

People like EA do the same thing in a sense of invasion of privacy (brought up w/ origins and they have been doing it in the past) where they will scan your system etc and people are furious/up in arms about that. However EA has likely taken security measures and has the ability to compensate if something does happen to arise, also you agree to them doing such in their EULA when you accept it.

However here it was covertly given out to players without a single word, no aggreement was made by any of the users, etc etc. Also they aren't a big corp w/ the money and security to back such information. Like I said its a thin line, and its pretty brutal not seeing any information from the staff.

This is one of those issues that requires transparency and not a if you don't like it get out. I am assuming anyone that accepts their privacy being covertly invaded and has the DONT LIKE IT GET OUT attitude is probably the same type of people that post their most personal details on facebook for the world to see which is insanity.

Arrisard
09-01-2011, 10:35 AM
Have the staff mentioned anything at all about these files yet? As someone who was interested prior to hearing about this in playing I am a bit concerned that there hasn't been a word from the staff.

Seems like a lot of speculation / concerns could be remedied if the staff would just be transparent on this issue with the player base. Its not like the files aren't common knowledge from what it seems, so it doesn't seem like a legit reason to stay quiet about it aside from concerning your player base?

If there is a staff update and I missed it id appreciate if someone linked, simply interested in playing but this seems sketchy. Also surprised at the amount of people not concerned about their personal privacy.

Again, I pose the question: Why would the Dev's word be enough?

I'm not saying they shouldn't say anything (infact, I agree with out), but, I just don't see the logic of "if they say it's ok, then it's ok".

Not being concerned with privacy in general is not the same thing as not being concerned with every vague and non-specific claim that could probably apply to literally 99% of every program I have installed on my computer already from people with an axe to grind (not specifically the OP). JFC, I hope none of you have Chrome, Steam, or PunkBuster installed. Oh noes, they have my gateway IP!!!!!!11111 :rolleyes:

If this is a concern that is JUST coming to your attention, stay off "gray area" emulators in general or learn some basic compartmentalization.

Sake
09-01-2011, 10:43 AM
Isn't a matter of ITS OK LETS GO! its more a matter of expressing what it does.

Sure that doesn't change if they say LOL ITS OK DONT WORRY that it still might not be safe. However when you hide things and try and sneak things in and aren't up front about it (granted the reason is partially understood but that cat is out of the bag now so should be irrelavent with the hacking) it poses the concern.

Arrisard
09-01-2011, 10:48 AM
Isn't a matter of ITS OK LETS GO! its more a matter of expressing what it does.

Sure that doesn't change if they say LOL ITS OK DONT WORRY that it still might not be safe. However when you hide things and try and sneak things in and aren't up front about it (granted the reason is partially understood but that cat is out of the bag now so should be irrelavent with the hacking) it poses the concern.

Like I said, I actually agree. But ultimately it doesn't change anything - I just encourage anyone to be concerned with this in the first place to take some basic precautions even if they aren't playing on P99.

Ihealyou
09-01-2011, 11:05 AM
Any program can open pretty much any file on your computer. Its something you learn in intro programming, not leet hacking school.

Now lets pretend that Rogean and Nilbog want to steal your personal info. They would have to go through hundreds of gigabytes of data, for each person, to find info which may or may not be there. Do that for the 20,000 accounts that play, and you have an unreasonable amount of data to sift through. Even if they could go through all that data, how are they supposed to separate personal information from random numbers and other garbage?

Now lets pretend that they found some way to get your personal information out of all that data. They're risking the end of the server, the destruction of their reputation, and probably legal action. They have a lot to lose if they try to steal your info. On the other hand, you have an anonymous pastebin chat log, of two anonymous people talking, in a manner which makes it sound staged. At the same time, there's over 300 pissed off nerds who got banned for hacking. They have nothing to lose by posting stuff like this.

So what seems more likely? Rogean and the crew are committing felonies to steal your infoz, or pissed off hackers are anonymously spreading false information to hurt the server?

Ravhin
09-01-2011, 11:21 AM

I have to agree with this and with jetviper. From my past experience the server admins are reasonable people, conscientious of internet and security privacy concerns.

With the addition of custom, client-side code, I believe the only reasonable option is to release all client-side modifications as open-source, giving users the option to verify their contents as non-malicious, and compile themselves if desired. This is, after all, the guiding principle behind all security-oriented open source software (be it SSL libraries, crypto software, etc).

I have no problem playing with a client-side anti-cheat mechanism. However, to release code that conducts unknown data gathering on player's PCs and sends that information to a remote server, without announcing this change or the details of the information collected, is dangerous and unreasonable (and I suspect the server admins will agree with me here).

To catch these cheaters unawares I see why it wasn't announced in the first place. This will surely have gotten some people worried about the implications. However, correcting that 2-week gap with full disclosure will in large part remedy the problem.

I don't have the technical skills to look into the compiled code, and it would be ridiculous that we would have to. It's easy enough to dump strings though, and for all I know these could just be all the functions in the USER32/KERNEL32 libraries - but that's just the point, I don't know, I have no idea what they're being used for, and an announcement should be made clarifying this business.

Strings from wsock32.dll and eqgame.dll:

[[ Project 1999 :: Classic Everquest ]]
09:11:49
Sep 7 2007
10:33:37
Oct 31 2005
eqgame
\eqgame.ini
/rogean
list<T> too long
Please restart your client before playing a different server after Project 1999.
EQEmulator

GetProcessWindowStation
GetUserObjectInformationW
GetLastActivePopup
GetActiveWindow
MessageBoxW
USER32.DLL
KERNEL32.DLL
FlsFree
FlsSetValue
FlsGetValue
FlsAlloc
CorExitProcess
mscoree.dll
GetProcessWindowStation
GetUserObjectInformationW
GetLastActivePopup
GetActiveWindow
MessageBoxW
USER32.DLL
\WSOCK32.dll
eqgame.dll
AcceptEx
EnumProtocolsA
EnumProtocolsW
GetAcceptExSockaddrs
GetAddressByNameA
GetAddressByNameW
GetNameByTypeA
GetNameByTypeW
GetServiceA
GetServiceW
GetTypeByNameA
GetTypeByNameW
MigrateWinsockConfiguration
NPLoadNameSpaces
SetServiceA
SetServiceW
TransmitFile
GetSystemDirectoryA
GetProcAddress
LoadLibraryA
KERNEL32.dll
GetCurrentThreadId
DecodePointer
GetCommandLineA
TerminateProcess
GetCurrentProcess
GetFileType
GetStartupInfoW
GetTickCount
GetCurrentProcessId
GetSystemTimeAsFileTime
GetCPInfo
GetACP
GetOEMCP
WriteFile
GetModuleFileNameW

EnderWiggin
09-01-2011, 11:49 AM
If you're worried about your info, there are simple solutions:

Install a second copy of your OS on your machine, only for EQ (on a separate partition/dual boot)

Get Windows Virtual PC, or XP Mode if you have Windows 7 Pro or above. Install the EQ client on that installation and do not put any personal info on it.

Problem solved.

Also, closing the server to handle "all the retards" is ridiculous and defeatist. It's like selling a car for gas money.

Also, ShowEQ (the poster) has twisted, justification-oriented logic. "You should let us cheat, because we're all cheaters, see?"

This server and community is awesome. If Project1999 shuts down, a new one will open. Guaranteed.

EnderWiggin
09-01-2011, 11:53 AM
I believe the only reasonable option is to [B]release all client-side modifications as open-source, giving users the option to verify their contents as non-malicious, and compile themselves if desired.

Ravhin, we might as well send out an email to all the EverQuest cheaters and say "come right in and hack me!"

Also, most users won't know what a single of those commands you listed is, and can only infer by the name. All of the ones I recognize are necessary for EverQuest to run, with or without added code by P1999.

Juugox2
09-01-2011, 11:55 AM
in all reality if you dont use these programs you got shit to worry about do you really care what they see on your comp? i mean unless you got child porn then stfu

Treats
09-01-2011, 12:30 PM

Let me get this straight. You created your account here on the forums today (September 2011). Sure looks to me like you you weren't interested in playing here, you were ALLREADY playing here.

If I am wrong then I apologize. If you have still have concerns after reading some of the replies in this thread the only thing you need to do is close your browser and not play on P99. There are plenty of other places to play on the server list without downloading these files. It's that simple.

superapan
09-01-2011, 12:44 PM
As long as it guarantees the server legit, I'd take an anal probe too.

Nirgon
09-01-2011, 12:53 PM
I'm sure Sony is aware of this server and the emu community and don't care.

As far as the file? If you think about it too much, sketchy yes. If you think about why they did it? Pretty obvious to catch and detect cheating.

This team doesn't strike me as a group that wants to throw away it's project over ripping people off. He can do something sure with more time and effort to steal... something from you I guess. The point is, he'd likely be caught and, further, he'd never run another server on eqemu again.

Chill out.

I'm cool with it as long as only Nilbog and Rogean have access to such things.

Asher
09-01-2011, 01:04 PM
Any program can open pretty much any file on your computer. Its something you learn in intro programming, not leet hacking school.

Now lets pretend that Rogean and Nilbog want to steal your personal info. They would have to go through hundreds of gigabytes of data, for each person, to find info which may or may not be there. Do that for the 20,000 accounts that play, and you have an unreasonable amount of data to sift through. Even if they could go through all that data, how are they supposed to separate personal information from random numbers and other garbage?

Now lets pretend that they found some way to get your personal information out of all that data. They're risking the end of the server, the destruction of their reputation, and probably legal action. They have a lot to lose if they try to steal your info. On the other hand, you have an anonymous pastebin chat log, of two anonymous people talking, in a manner which makes it sound staged. At the same time, there's over 300 pissed off nerds who got banned for hacking. They have nothing to lose by posting stuff like this.

So what seems more likely? Rogean and the crew are committing felonies to steal your infoz, or pissed off hackers are anonymously spreading false information to hurt the server?

Yea, it is very difficult for a program to reveal hidden passwords that are stored on your computer. :rolleyes:

Asher

pragmus
09-01-2011, 01:09 PM

But, he just posted the equivalent of a thousand words.

Kope
09-01-2011, 01:20 PM
I must say my Avast did pick up a Trojan last night. Not sure if it was this one or I got infected by something else but it's odd timing.

Scanned last night and removed it, we'll see if i can play today.

Ulivar
09-01-2011, 02:16 PM
I must say my Avast did pick up a Trojan last night. Not sure if it was this one or I got infected by something else but it's odd timing.

Scanned last night and removed it, we'll see if i can play today.

you will have to restore and make an exception for that file that it picked up, its is being reported by those who are butthurt that the file is a virus thus getting flagged by anti-virus programs and moved to the virus chest or w/e. And no, eq won't let you login without that item.

Ihealyou
09-01-2011, 02:25 PM
Yea, it is very difficult for a program to reveal hidden passwords that are stored on your computer. :rolleyes:

Asher

I'm not an expert on viruses, but I was under the impression that people got passwords through phishing or keyloggers. If I log onto my online bank account, I don't think windows keeps a file with my username and password in it. If I'm wrong, please tell me though. Its possible I have no idea what I'm talking about =\

Asher
09-01-2011, 02:29 PM
I'm not an expert on viruses, but I was under the impression that people got passwords through phishing or keyloggers. If I log onto my online bank account, I don't think windows keeps a file with my username and password in it. If I'm wrong, please tell me though.

If you configure your web browser to save any credentials for any site they can be easily retrieved.

ie: Don't ever save passwords.

Asher

Lagaidh
09-01-2011, 03:20 PM
I always wondered what shit would look like as text. Now I know.

Feachie
09-01-2011, 04:28 PM

Asher

you guys are pretty stupid.

what code is on your machine that can "reveal hidden passwords?" because i don't see anything in that .dll, and it sure as hell doesn't exist in the eq files.

there are enough knowledgeable people on this server who are into programming and have looked at the file. if there was legitimate concern, it would been brought forth in a concise manner WITH EVIDENCE which so far not a single person has brought.

only tin foil hat wearing paranoia.
http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/8905/tinfoilhatn.jpg

the only reason trojans are showing up are because the ones who got caught, big toop i'm betting, reported the file as a trojan. Possible? yes. Plausible? YES

Dirtnap
09-01-2011, 04:35 PM
There is enough concern from a lot of people, that i am surprised that the Dev's haven't said a single word on the subject. Just about everyone i talk to about it in game doesn't like that it could be used to steal their information.

Kope
09-01-2011, 04:36 PM
There is enough concern from a lot of people, that i am surprised that the Dev's haven't said a single word on the subject. Just about everyone i talk to about it in game doesn't like that it could be used to steal their information.

Rogean said at least twice i've read to add it as an exception and that it's a false positive.

There is also a lot of concern in our country about us being a giant soviet spy country....concern != reality.

Nyrod
09-01-2011, 05:11 PM
not that its related but i did a scan a few nights after the suspensions because my keyboard was doing wierd shit while in game and avira detected trojans in patcher.exe and updater.exe in my EQ folder.

i swear i cant remember where i got these files from, im thinking the patcher.exe was at one time given out by voidd (to get spellfile/eqhost file setup) for vztz and may just be a false positive but have no clue where updater.exe came from

deleted both.

Begin scan in 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony\EverQuest\Updater.exe'
C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony\EverQuest\Updater.exe
[DETECTION] Is the TR/Downloader.Gen Trojan

Virus or unwanted program 'TR/Downloader.Gen [trojan]'
detected in file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony\EverQuest\Patcher.exe.
Action performed:

anyone seen those files around? i searched the forums and didnt see anything similar such a duxa's patcher

username17
09-01-2011, 06:28 PM
in all reality if you dont use these programs you got shit to worry about do you really care what they see on your comp? i mean unless you got child porn then stfu

Yes, yes I do care about what they see on my computer.
I have my tax records, banking information, morgate bills, e-mail, medical information, etc.

Just because I have nothing to hide does not mean that I should give up my privacy.

You're all high and mighty. You don't cheat. Could I please have access to all of your files now? kthxbai

Feachie
09-01-2011, 06:38 PM
not that its related but i did a scan a few nights after the suspensions because my keyboard was doing wierd shit while in game and avira detected trojans in patcher.exe and updater.exe in my EQ folder.

i swear i cant remember where i got these files from, im thinking the patcher.exe was at one time given out by voidd (to get spellfile/eqhost file setup) for vztz and may just be a false positive but have no clue where updater.exe came from

deleted both.

Begin scan in 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony\EverQuest\Updater.exe'
C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony\EverQuest\Updater.exe
[DETECTION] Is the TR/Downloader.Gen Trojan

Virus or unwanted program 'TR/Downloader.Gen [trojan]'
detected in file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony\EverQuest\Patcher.exe.
Action performed:

anyone seen those files around? i searched the forums and didnt see anything similar such a duxa's patcher

i've only played on p99 with this install, and i use duxa's, but i don't have either of those files. must be vztz.

my machine has had clean scans for several months via kaspersky, not even alerting for the .dll the banned have reported as a trojan.

Jeron
09-01-2011, 09:48 PM
I would like to know when I am installing anything that is intended to spy on aspects of my computer. I would agree with spying on my computer for the purpose of reduction of use of inappropriate tools while playing here.

The mob mentality about all this is nutty though.

It doesn't seem like to much to ask to know that a patch will start looking at my process list and port usage. Or now to know what exactly it is doing/capable of doing. I don't understand why anyone would not want to know this.

Spoodowg2000bc
09-01-2011, 11:48 PM
cheaters lashing back

Spoodowg2000bc
09-01-2011, 11:51 PM
That isn't at all relevant in a situation like this. The biggest issue is what happens when an outside source manages to get the information? Sure the staff may be using only the information they need. But it comes down to how the information is stored etc and what kind of security is in place to protect anyones privacy against 3rd parties.

Also does it pull as much information as claimed? If it just checks the processes running ok, but if it is gaining a lot more information as suggested in the OP then what? Its a very thin line, with no details from those that are issuing the invasion of peoples privacy.

However since you brought it up even though slightly unrelated, when has being well off stopped anyone from scamming people out of their money? Hell, look at most big corps who do *anything* for a penny.

People like EA do the same thing in a sense of invasion of privacy (brought up w/ origins and they have been doing it in the past) where they will scan your system etc and people are furious/up in arms about that. However EA has likely taken security measures and has the ability to compensate if something does happen to arise, also you agree to them doing such in their EULA when you accept it.

However here it was covertly given out to players without a single word, no aggreement was made by any of the users, etc etc. Also they aren't a big corp w/ the money and security to back such information. Like I said its a thin line, and its pretty brutal not seeing any information from the staff.

This is one of those issues that requires transparency and not a if you don't like it get out. I am assuming anyone that accepts their privacy being covertly invaded and has the DONT LIKE IT GET OUT attitude is probably the same type of people that post their most personal details on facebook for the world to see which is insanity.

you got temporarily banned and deleveled LOL

Spoodowg2000bc
09-01-2011, 11:52 PM

you might be the same person or another person that got banned

either way 1st LOL or another @ u

LOLOLOLOLOL