PDA

View Full Version : Troll Shaman Starter Points

Draulius
08-31-2011, 09:39 AM
How should I spend my starting points as a Troll Shaman? The Project 1999 wiki didn't have any suggestions.

isoka
08-31-2011, 09:41 AM
People usually go for wisdom and the remaining points in stamina

Vondra
08-31-2011, 11:14 AM
Some combination of wis/sta. Stamina is the most difficult stat to max later on through gear while wis is easy.

I contend that you'd be better off doing all wis/rest in sta though, simply because while you might have problems raising +sta, you won't have problems raising +hp which often has a better payoff anyway. More wis at char creation means freeing up that extra wis slot or two for +hp/+mana/resist or whatever.

Overweight
08-31-2011, 11:18 AM
Str so you can carry more. Wis and Sta will come later with gear.

Mardur
max sta

Mardur
Str so you can carry more. Wis and Sta will come later with gear.

post/username

Overweight
08-31-2011, 11:25 AM
Yes my trader is overweight :)

Estu
08-31-2011, 11:56 AM
WIS is going to be the most helpful for you until you hit 60 and get Torpor, at which point it doesn't really mean much. Like others have said, though, WIS is easy to raise. STA is harder to raise, but it also gives you pretty bad HP returns since you're a priest rather than a tank or hybrid; nevertheless, once you have Torpor, having high HP is what really matters (that and AC). So WIS will make it easier for you in the early game, while STA will make it easier for you in the late game.

Mardur
08-31-2011, 12:14 PM
You can get an extra 100 wisdom with a few thousand plat. Good luck scraping together even 50 stamina from gear.

Wisdom is already less important for shaman compared to clerics and druids 1-59, and nearly useless at 60 with torpor. Stamina / HP is always useful.

johnny ringo
08-31-2011, 12:18 PM
make an ogre shaman or youll regreat it later

Rainflush
08-31-2011, 01:10 PM
make an ogre shaman or youll regreat it later

Perhaps he doesn't want to make an ogre shaman.

Yukahwa
08-31-2011, 02:46 PM
Trolls have heinous base wisdom and decent base stamina so this is a pretty interesting question because it is an extreme example of the Stamina at the start question. Low levels will be pretty obnoxious when you have enough mana to cast about 3 spells, but on a shaman does it stamina really pay off all that well even when the character is maxed out?

Kevlar
08-31-2011, 02:59 PM
ogre stun immune is next to pointless on a non-melee class. Sure you can melee low blue mobs down, but pet kiting or root rotting are just as efficient. You want to double your efficiency? Get a hunting partner.

Humerox
08-31-2011, 03:04 PM
The only advantage Trolls have over Ogres in early game is base regen, and that's nullified hi-end.

Only shammies you'll see soloing Lodi will be Ogres ;)

That said, if you are bound and determined to go Troll, STA is where I'd go.

vageta31
08-31-2011, 03:46 PM
ogre stun immune is next to pointless on a non-melee class. Sure you can melee low blue mobs down, but pet kiting or root rotting are just as efficient. You want to double your efficiency? Get a hunting partner.

Actually I consider Shamans a melee class up until the highest levels. Stun immunity comes in handy if you get aggro and need to root to take a step back.

I'm not sure why this is even argued. Ogre's are the best at any class they can choose. Doesn't mean you have to play one, but no sense denying the truth. With all the talk about how sta > than all stats, Ogres start out with the highest of any race. There's not even a close 2nd in this regard.

Regen is great for soloing at low levels, but with regen spells it ranks less than a class that can't heal. Troll SK's and Iksar Necro's are perfect examples of classes where it does matter more. At high levels if you're able to get a fungi and stack it with a regen spell, that extra little regen from a troll/iksar means little when the Ogre has more hps and won't be interrupted as easily during his casting when that one spell can make or break the fight.

purist
08-31-2011, 04:31 PM
some thoughts

thought #1 - don't listen to anything mardur says, he doesn't play a shaman and has no idea what he's talking about

thought #2 - ask someone who actually plays a shaman and knows what they're talking about like jeremy

thought #3 - lmao, going max sta as shaman is even stupider than going all intelligence

thought #4 - news flash, you can self-buff your own sta by +40 as a shaman, and let me tell you, it adds like ~50 hp maybe at lvl 50-60? that's like ONE whole cannibalize? so putting +25 in sta would give you like +35 extra hp, tell me what does that do for you? you guessed it, jack shit

thought #5 - think about it, would you rather spend 25 points in STA and have +35 extra HP.. Or go +25 in WIS, have like ~125 more mana, and focus your gear on +HP and +AC items

thought #6 - go ogre or go home

logic'd

blizzil
08-31-2011, 04:37 PM
Any shaman can solo lodi -- I've played ogre and troll shamans to endgame and I enjoy Troll more, the regen is that good ...

With a Fungi and regrowth you can just root / regen your life back in most situations. Stun Immunity and extra basestats rock for an ogre, but not as OP as the regen

Throw in the prayer shawl + ft items later, its lights out.

soup
08-31-2011, 04:45 PM
Two things:
1. Ogre is absolutely the best shaman race. It's not even really debatable. However, it's not really a big deal. I really wish I had the stun immunity sometimes, but overall I'm perfectly fine without it.

2. HP>>>>>>>>WIS>STA

Kevlar
08-31-2011, 04:47 PM
In a group setting a troll with canni is going to outperform an ogre by far. So will all the other races with larger mana pools in an extended engagement.

Who cares if stun immunity lets you solo a tiny bit more safely. For doing the majority of shaman duties the ogre is the least efficient race. Shaman are a fairly weak solo class anyway. If you want to solo you want a class that can charm.

With my ench I'd take a ranger over a shaman partner any day. Ensnare is really all ya need to whoop some ass with an overpowered charmed pet.

soup
08-31-2011, 05:01 PM
You know you probably shouldn't listen to someone's shaman advice when they say something like:

Shaman are a fairly weak solo class anyway.

Mardur
08-31-2011, 05:09 PM
some thoughts

thought #1 - don't listen to anything mardur says, he doesn't play a shaman and has no idea what he's talking about

thought #2 - ask someone who actually plays a shaman and knows what they're talking about like jeremy

Not sure if this is obvious troll. But I mained a shaman on live for years. Jeremy hadn't played EQ prior to P99 and he asks me a lot of shaman advice. So, not sure what kind of point you were trying to make.

vageta31
08-31-2011, 05:09 PM
You know you probably shouldn't listen to someone's shaman advice when they say something like:

It seems anyone who actually plays Shamans admit to the Ogre's strengths while fanboys for other races who don't play shaman want to put in their 2 cents.

Personally I'd rather them all play barbarians so my guy stands out that much more, but I can't help but be honest. Stun immunity is far more useful than people are trying to downplay it as. Then again if you're a root dotter Shaman in Druid's clothing then it probably won't matter. Grab a plat armband, nightshade wreath and your 6 wis rings and have at it.

Kevlar
08-31-2011, 05:11 PM

Where would you rank shaman on an xp/hr basis? Behind every int caster, bards, and druids. So 7th best at soloing is pretty good in your book?

There is a reason most shaman on live are boxes not mains.

soup
08-31-2011, 05:14 PM
Where would you rank shaman on an xp/hr basis? Behind every int caster, bards, and druids. So 7th best at soloing is pretty good in your book?

Prior to 34 they are slow, I'll give you that. 34-45 is decent. 45+ buy a JBB and you're on par with a necro if you know what you're doing.

There's also a hell of a lot more to soloing than just "xp/hour"

soup
08-31-2011, 05:15 PM

Why are you comparing the situation on live to the situation here?

Holy fail.

vageta31
08-31-2011, 05:17 PM

Battle shamans do better than root dotters in this regard, but either way they can solo quite well. You're showing your ignorance both in your insistence that they're weak soloers, and lack of knowledge of their charm animal line of spells. They aren't as good as Druids, but they can charm animals in OT as well.

In fact I used this tactic in live before and shamans do it quite well. They don't have to spend much mana to help their charmed pet win the battle since they can help melee it down and use one of the weaker slows. Then if pet breaks charm they can slow him and melee down the last bit of hps as well. This is a valid tactic most don't use because it only serves them a small portion of the game, but it nonetheless works rather well.

Mardur
08-31-2011, 05:18 PM
By that logic, you could say that a shaman can solo Lodi / nest dragons while other classes can't, does that make them the #1 soloer?

It's not really about exp / hour, it's the fact that a level 60 geared shaman with a full spellbook can take down harder single targets than any other class. This is especially apparent in Velious when +HP gear becomes so prevalent.

vageta31
08-31-2011, 05:20 PM
There's also a hell of a lot more to soloing than just "xp/hour"

Exactly. They can camp certain things that the others cannot due to being in close quarters. Quad kiting, fear kiting and charming are all awesome but there are times you just can't use that tactic. This is where Shaman shine because built correctly they can take some hits and fight right up in the face of their enemies for a bit.

Ennoia
08-31-2011, 05:25 PM
The only advantage Trolls have over Ogres in early game is base regen, and that's nullified hi-end.

Only shammies you'll see soloing Lodi will be Ogres ;)

That said, if you are bound and determined to go Troll, STA is where I'd go.

Not true at all. Back on Brell the main guy soloing Lodizal was an Iksar named Lelandpain.

Peatree
08-31-2011, 05:35 PM
How should I spend my starting points as a Troll Shaman? The Project 1999 wiki didn't have any suggestions.

WIS / STA

Man I miss my old barb shammy...maybe I'll roll her again!

Humerox
08-31-2011, 05:37 PM
Not true at all. Back on Brell the main guy soloing Lodizal was an Iksar named Lelandpain.

Velious era? That would surprise me.