PDA

View Full Version : New to Project 1999, Hi!

qombi
08-24-2011, 10:47 PM
I use to play Everquest back during Velious and am excited to find this server. I have often thought it would have been ideal for the game to stop at Velious due to the weird theme of SoL and the mixed graphics.

I don't know what to play. I really don't want to set on my rumpus and med or heal people. I enjoy some melee, in most games I play a tank. Would it be unwise to play a warrior from the get go? I know I am asking for a tough road having no characters but I really would love to be on the front line.

If I choose to play a warrior, I thought about playing an Ogre or Troll. I like the evil races alot. I am not sure if deity matters for a warrior. I have been surfing the forums, It looks like I want to pour all my starting points into dex and try to find gear later that has AC > STAM. Am I correct in thinking this?

I also guess I need to save for some obsidian shards from what I am reading. This should be a fun journey. My wish is to experience all the dungeons. This might be a crazy goal, but I missed so many the first time I played this game. Wish me luck!

Felwithemagi
08-24-2011, 10:49 PM
Welcome aboard. Play what you like really, the rules are pretty much EQ classic in terms of race/deity and stats.

SwordNboard
08-24-2011, 10:53 PM
Welcome!

No one ever does when they first get here.

There's always Pal/SK/(Rng). Maxing stam at creation is for the hardcore raiders and min/max'ers and will give you next to nothing in HP for quite some levels. For dmg go Str. Dex isn't really gonna do ya much good at the start, especially for a slower swinging class (Pal/SK). For warriors... maybe put some dex in at creation, but I'd go str/sta and mix in dex gear.

As a warrior people will gobble you up if you get a reputation going. Then you can tell the group where to go. ;)

Auvdar
08-24-2011, 11:40 PM
My honest opinion is to start a easy solo class first (mage/necro), level them up fast to 49. Then go farm money so you can twink out your main class. Being able to solo will help you relearn the game, plus you can still group if you want and get to know some people.

But starting out a warrior with no gear is a big uphill struggle. Do it if you want, but lvling a necro/mage doesnt take long. Will also give you an idea on were to lvl on this server for groups.

Hottbiscuits Dreadmuffin
08-25-2011, 09:22 AM
Hi! :D Welcome to P99~

maverixdamighty
08-25-2011, 09:26 AM
If you go ogre/troll dump them into dex. Str/sta are easy to get at higher level between gear/buffs and you start high anyways.

Jakanden
08-25-2011, 10:36 AM
Hey man, welcome to the server and the boards

qombi
08-25-2011, 06:39 PM
I am still deciding on a class. Thanks for the suggestions. I am really wanting to tank but I guess it would be tough without the gear as others suggest. I may have to break down and find a class that can solo without the gear.

I don't get much time to play during the week, maybe 3 days of 4-5hr sessions. I am afraid of spending all of my time on some character I do not really want. If you were to recommend a solo class that can level pretty quickly and farm plat for my future main what would it be? Remember that I have no plat and no gear.

Keep that in mind, I know some may say shaman but I think with no plat or gear a shaman will not be soloing very efficiently. Maybe a druid?

SwordNboard
08-25-2011, 06:49 PM
Necro/Mages do not really need gear. Mage being the easier (IMO) to level given it's 90% pet work (use fire pet). Avoid pet healing, stack up on pet reagents and learn how to chain-pet-cast for hard mobs. Tag target with a low level nuke around 15%. Profit.

However, if you are perseverant you could just go straight away with the class you want to play and try to group the camps you want drops from. It will feel so much more rewarding and save you time overall with having the class you want.

..but as you said you don't have much play time and LFG is going to kill most, if not all, of that..

Tarathiel
08-26-2011, 01:26 AM
Just play what you want and the gear will fall into place, being to focused on items early on will only lead to disappointment. I will put my vote against the mage/necro route unless that's a class you really want to play. If anything make one for an alt to play when you can't find groups with your main. That being said, people are really generous on this server and will generally help out those who need it. This doesn't mean run thru tunnel begging high levels for free stuff, as this only annoys them. Instead just be patient and enjoy the game. That's just my 2 cents and it worked out well for me. Hope this helps! Good luck and welcome to the server!