PDA

View Full Version : Faction and PvP

AffEcT
08-24-2011, 02:53 PM
I don't know if this has been talked about on the forum before but here goes.

Player 1 is in Freeport with amiably Freeport Militia faction.
Player 2 is in Freeport with indifferent Freeport Militia faction.

Player 2 attacks Player 1 inside the city.
Player 1 is assisted by the surrounding guards because of the higher faction.

This is how it was on live.
I don't know if this is implemented and i don't know
how much of a pain the coding would be.
But if it can be done, i think it should be in. Faction should matter in PvP.
Also this could help a little against early game greefing.

Arillious
08-24-2011, 03:06 PM
Was this how it was on live?

I'm always in favor of keeping NPC's out of pvp as much as possible.

This would come in to play a lot more in kunark/velious where there's a lot more faction oriented zones. I wouldnt want NPC's getting involved to ruin a pvp fight in Chardok/Kael/ToV because 1 person had slightly better or worse faction.

lethdar
08-24-2011, 03:07 PM

This is how it was on live, which was why it was so important to do the wine quests, bandage, and other garbage faction gains in order to not be jumped while pking in a town.

Arillious
08-24-2011, 03:09 PM
This is how it was on live, which was why it was so important to do the wine quests, bandage, and other garbage faction gains in order to not be jumped while pking in a town.

Just for town guards or in other zones as well? I dont seem to remember this in Kael/ToV fights where both guilds had positive faction.

AffEcT
08-24-2011, 03:13 PM
I think only guards in and outside city's.

Arillious
08-24-2011, 03:14 PM
I think only guards in and outside city's.

Makes sense why this never had any affect on VZ, which was team based. Everyone was kos in the evil cities that wasnt an evil race.

Since it was classic, I wouldnt care either way this was done.

God-King Abacab
08-24-2011, 03:18 PM
Faction should matter in PvP.

Faction worked like this on PvP servers that used teams (TZ, VZ, SZ)

Player 1 is a Woodelf druid leveling in Gfay
Player 2 is a Barbarian Shaman heading to CB

If Player 2 coined Player 1 in Gfay then Player 2 would lose faction with NPC's related to Player 1 so in this case every faction in Felwithe and Kelethin and every NPC worldwide that shared that faction would drop several points.

However if they fought in Crushbone and Player 2 killed Player 1 no faction hit would occur because it was not a home city (home city defined as any zone with guards and or NPC's related to those guards)

Mostly it added a roleplay element to PvP but the faction hits were pretty hefty and could cause issues later on if you're just mindlessly ganking noobs

Atmas
08-24-2011, 03:57 PM
Just for town guards or in other zones as well? I dont seem to remember this in Kael/ToV fights where both guilds had positive faction.

A guilde of mine used to argue that Velious broke PvP because he was really into the faction aspect.

Lazortag
08-24-2011, 03:58 PM

This would come in to play a lot more in kunark/velious where there's a lot more faction oriented zones. I wouldnt want NPC's getting involved to ruin a pvp fight in Chardok/Kael/ToV because 1 person had slightly better or worse faction.

Pretty sure it would only apply to NPC's that actively assist players already (ie, guards).

Arillious
08-24-2011, 04:18 PM
Faction worked like this on PvP servers that used teams (TZ, VZ, SZ)

Player 1 is a Woodelf druid leveling in Gfay
Player 2 is a Barbarian Shaman heading to CB

If Player 2 coined Player 1 in Gfay then Player 2 would lose faction with NPC's related to Player 1 so in this case every faction in Felwithe and Kelethin and every NPC worldwide that shared that faction would drop several points.

However if they fought in Crushbone and Player 2 killed Player 1 no faction hit would occur because it was not a home city (home city defined as any zone with guards and or NPC's related to those guards)

Mostly it added a roleplay element to PvP but the faction hits were pretty hefty and could cause issues later on if you're just mindlessly ganking noobs

Thank you for this. This triggered my memory. This is how to worked on VZ.

lethdar
08-24-2011, 04:44 PM
It was any mob. Attacking someone who was ally to chardok while kindly would get you facefucked etc. Same for in ToV, or next to a bard / enchanter who faction songed the pod, attacking a cleric near the cleric guild in rivervale, etc etc. It wasn't just limited to guards.

lethdar
08-24-2011, 04:47 PM
For sure in ToV in particular as I can remember playing a good team cleric meleeing a some evil melee at the hub. She knew enough not to attack back due to the faction but didn't realize that riposte would eventually get agro on her equally well.

beentheredonethat
08-24-2011, 04:49 PM

yep, and if i remember correctly... (might be wrong though) if you were dubious guards would assist the assailant if their faction was higher if you fought back.

player 1 - amiable.
player 2 - dubious.
p1 attacks p2.
p2 fights back.
guards assist p1.

JayDee
08-24-2011, 04:49 PM
bringin back some memories from the corner of my mind

Humerox
08-24-2011, 11:53 PM
factioning was pretty important back then...cross factioning screwed up a lot of peoples' days iirc.