PDA

View Full Version : Hey Guys....Serious Question!

Eternal-Elf
08-21-2011, 02:58 PM
I am really wantnig to start up either a Shaman/Druid/or a Wizzy.
I don't really LOVE soloing but, it seems that the server population in lower levels is kinda weak right now and I'm having a very hard time finding groups on my Rogue, so I literally just log in and sit LFG and spamming LFG in /ooc for an hour then rage quit.

I have a mage as well, but the whole "send pet, heal pet, hope I don't get aggro, and rinse and repeat" is boring to me.....

If you have ANY advice for me I'd really appreciate it. It takes so long to level here i'm really wanting to only play this final char and get him to 60.

Thanks again guys!

Ennoia
08-21-2011, 03:17 PM
I don't really LOVE soloing but, it seems that the server population in lower levels is kinda weak right now and I'm having a very hard time finding groups on my Rogue, so I literally just log in and sit LFG and spamming LFG in /ooc for an hour then rage quit.

I have a mage as well, but the whole "send pet, heal pet, hope I don't get aggro, and rinse and repeat" is boring to me.....

If you have ANY advice for me I'd really appreciate it. It takes so long to level here i'm really wanting to only play this final char and get him to 60.

Thanks again guys!

Wizard is boring. Shaman and Druid have a similar style to Necromancer, where you DoT and hope it doesn't catch you. With your choices it really gets down to Shaman and Druid, both of which have pretty good solo capability and a lot of perks, but can be pretty boring on raids.

Druid
Ports
SoW
Heals
Dots
Thorns (though if you're doing it right you won't get it)
Snare

Shaman
Buffs
SoW
Heals
Dots
Pet
Debuffs

It's really a personal preference on which one appeals to you more. As a Druid most of your time at higher level will be spent porting people around for raids or being asked to track stuff.

Eternal-Elf
08-21-2011, 03:20 PM
Wizard is boring. Shaman and Druid have a similar style to Necromancer, where you DoT and hope it doesn't catch you. With your choices it really gets down to Shaman and Druid, both of which have pretty good solo capability and a lot of perks, but can be pretty boring on raids.

Druid
Ports
SoW
Heals
Dots
Thorns (though if you're doing it right you won't get it)
Snare

Shaman
Buffs
SoW
Heals
Dots
Pet
Debuffs

It's really a personal preference on which one appeals to you more. As a Druid most of your time at higher level will be spent porting people around for raids or being asked to track stuff.

I love to fact that shaman can be iksar, which is my favorite race by far....but I am leaning toward druid just because they get ports, and that is an easy money maker later on.
I can deff. see shaman being more helpful in a group setting which would be nice if I got burnt out on soloing.....
but druid gets to quad kite which im pretty excited about.....and gets animal charm which is nice.

Both get SoW, both get heals and regen, hrmmmmm

Ennoia
08-21-2011, 03:28 PM
I love to fact that shaman can be iksar, which is my favorite race by far....but I am leaning toward druid just because they get ports, and that is an easy money maker later on.
I can deff. see shaman being more helpful in a group setting which would be nice if I got burnt out on soloing.....
but druid gets to quad kite which im pretty excited about.....and gets animal charm which is nice.

Both get SoW, both get heals and regen, hrmmmmm

Don't bank on quad-kiting and Charm. They both take a decent amount of practice to really be viable, though being able to charm on Fear/Hate raids does make trash clearing a lot less boring for you.

Mcbard
08-21-2011, 03:39 PM
What's your question exactly?

All 3 of those classes are able to solo and work well in groups, however do not offer as much sustained DPS as your rogue would.

Eternal-Elf
08-21-2011, 03:50 PM
What's your question exactly?

All 3 of those classes are able to solo and work well in groups, however do not offer as much sustained DPS as your rogue would.

I love the rogue.....just hate sitting LFG for hours.

The question was which of those would be a better pick for being able to solo.

soup
08-21-2011, 03:53 PM
Don't bank on quad-kiting and Charm. They both take a decent amount of practice to really be viable, though being able to charm on Fear/Hate raids does make trash clearing a lot less boring for you.

Wait what? Quad kiting is absurdly easy.

Ennoia
08-21-2011, 04:01 PM
Wait what? Quad kiting is absurdly easy.

Not for people who don't know how to group up mobs or keep track of snares.

mala
08-21-2011, 04:18 PM
"I love to fact that shaman can be iksar, which is my favorite race by far...."

i would seriously advise against a iksar shmmy due to the fact that they cant use a JBB. which at high end is pretty much any shmmy's bread and butter for soloing.

xshayla701
08-21-2011, 05:09 PM
Idk, but ever since I started an SK, my heart skips a beat when a shaman joins the group. Druid DS is great but those slows/haste are aweeesome

vageta31
08-21-2011, 05:20 PM
If you want an active class that can solo but have fun doing it, play a battle shaman and never look back. Forget the root dotting barbarian, that's as lifeless as quad kiting and "send pet" since you seem to be looking for more excitement.

Play an Ogre Shaman and stand toe to toe with mobs. You get 127 stamina from the start, 2nd highest wisdom(edit: 3rd now since iksar are in the game), no frontal stun which is > Troll/Iksar regen (considering fungis/ikky BP and regen spells will get you the same just to a lesser degree). Your exp penalty isn't that bad and you make up for it due to your battle style being more efficient than mana burning then medding for 10 minutes.

Load up on hp/ac items and mana items at low levels. Grab a big high damage 2h weapon, buff/regen/haste yourself (get a FBSS for the lulz), slow the mob, engage in melee while pet helps beating it down and add some dots for the halibut. Don't forget you have slam to stun mobs and interrupt casters(which you can't do if you're root dotting). I can personally attest to this style as being completely viable and fun as I did it all the way to 50 with my Ogre long before Kunark came out. With the new Kunark items it is even easier.

I easily melee'd down spectre's using this method and could usually clear out the entire feerot caves on a bar of mana by just a few canni dances in between fights. For tougher mobs like giants start out with a root, then throw on a slow, then add a dot or two. Then canni a bit until root breaks and by then they're already softened up. Standing toe to toe with a giant is great fun when you see the other classes running in circles. I personally converted a few "wisdom" shamans on this server by them seeing the method in action for themselves.

I just used to carry around a set of wisdom gear that I could use in situations where I needed it. Had my plat jasper rings, CGS, nightshade wreath, etc.. in a pack and when I wanted to battle I'd put on my plat fire rings, HBC, glowing bone collar, etc.. If you're rich and can super twink you can do it all in one pretty much now, but that depends on your budget.

Estu
08-21-2011, 07:25 PM

Thanks again guys!

First off, sitting LFG and spamming LFG in ooc is a lazy and dumb way to get groups if that's all you're doing. Form your own groups. Be willing to travel. Do /who alls on zones where you're thinking of grouping, find people who are around your level, and send them tells asking if you can join them or if they'd like to start a group with you. Get a leveling guild for easy ports and groupmates. Go on IRC and ask around. There are so many ways to get groups, but it seems like 90% of the time people come on the forums to whine "I SAT LFG FOR THREE HOURS AND NO ONE MAGICALLY APPEARED TO GIVE ME A GROUP" and I just wonder how on Earth these people can just do nothing for that long without for once considering starting their own group, gathering people from various places, traveling, and so on.

All that being said, there are ways to be lazy about being LFG and to still get groups. The time at which you're on is important, as the server's peak population can be three times as much as its low tide population. Also, what I like to do, since I like to have a lot of characters anyway and not worry about getting to 60 ASAP, is to have solo characters and group characters, so if I can't easily find a group on the groupers I can solo instead. So have your rogue and have another character, and every time you come online, stop in on the rogue for five minutes - if you can't find a group, solo instead, maybe even checking your rogue's zone of choice periodically on the soloer.

As for your question of what other class to play: whatever you do, don't choose a wizard. This class may actually be worse than the ranger in groups: terrible sustained DPS due to how inefficient/resistable nukes are and how much time you spend medding. Soloing, wizards are OK, but druids are a direct upgrade.

That leaves druid and shaman. Shaman is definitely more desired in groups; druid is one of the least group-desired classes since they have the shitty heals of shamans with none of the game-changing slows. Druids are somewhat better soloers than shamans pre-60, but if you really want a soloer, play necro. Shamans are capable, if slow, soloers pre-34, then decent with their pets pre-60, then indestructible at 60 with Torpor. So overall, I'd go shaman.

baub
08-21-2011, 07:47 PM
If you want an active class that can solo but have fun doing it, play a battle shaman and never look back. Forget the root dotting barbarian, that's as lifeless as quad kiting and "send pet" since you seem to be looking for more excitement.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=554

Supaskillz
08-21-2011, 08:21 PM
I dont think it is too hard to find groups as long as you select the appropriate places to lfg. Also be aggressive and do /who all level ranges to find duo partners. sk, necro, druid, ranger can all duo pretty well with a rogue via fear or aggro kiting.

quido
08-21-2011, 08:40 PM
haha baub beat me to it

Sometimes I wish I had that frontal stun immunity. I think it would allow me to solo tank a Cliff Golem. That being said, the Barbarian Spiritist's Hammer is retarded good. It has a higher inherent proc rate than other proccing weapons. Slow is still ridiculously OP (especially since the last patch that adjusted it, it's insane) so the stun immunity isn't really a huge thing at this point. I manage to get most casts off.

Leveling up a shaman is pretty fun because Shamans are versatile. You can go around soloing doing your own thing or you can find a group pretty easily. Shamans are also the ultimate duo class. I guess what I'm saying is that if you get sick of playing one way, you have a lot of options to mix it up. On an even smaller scale, you have a fair number of options to mix it up disregarding group-status. You can root rot and dot, tank and spank, kite, or adopt some sort of hybrid policy that best fits the situation like I think most shamans end up doing.

vageta31
08-22-2011, 03:25 AM
Before Kunark the best weapon I was able to get ahold of was the Totem of Widdershims. Not the greatest weapon, but proc'ing malaisment ended up being very handy against high MR mobs, and with haste/fbss/dex buff it proc'd a lot. Even with 20/42 I believe I was hitting for 59's and while hasted it's not that bad.

Frontal stun may not be as useful at high levels, but it no doubt helps. And I can't imagine losing slam with an Iksar.. That saved my butt so many times I lost count. Sorry mob but you aren't going to get that last heal off...

bakkily
08-22-2011, 04:13 AM
i'd say read about what classes you like the most, and pick it, or if you really want to see how each class is, go to the ez server and mess around

i never played the shaman till vanguard, and loved the class, and every mmo after i played that, use to always play the rogue or a ranger

but pick what you want, though this is everquest, from those classes you said you want to play wont take you forever to lvl, only class that takes forever is the ranger

Snaggles
08-22-2011, 10:39 PM
It's not your fault. Rogues while awesome are the worst solo'er in the game by a large margin. Give one awesome weapons, haste and a fungi tunic and the noob levels will breeze but eventually you will start getting depressed again :p.

Go with a caster you want as a second class someday. That can help you twink. When you find a duo partner they can start a similar dependant healer (cleric) and you can duo with the rogue.