PDA

View Full Version : Consensus on Looting Etiquite?

Leokaiser
08-20-2011, 06:47 AM
Back when I played on Bristlebane, groups generally used round robin or assigned a master looter, and people normally asked/were told how the group was handling loot on joining.

Here, however, looting (and I'm speaking of simply vendor trash here, so this mainly applies to lower level groups) seems to be very rarely discussed and most people go with the flow. It seems many players don't care about trash drops, which is understandable, but on the other hand there are some players who like to loot as much as they can carry as fast as possible. It annoys me very much to see the same person continually looting while others take nothing (mainly casters medding), but - unlike Live - no one ever calls them out for being greedy.

Going further, if no one talks about how loot is handled, is there a general rule for how valuable drops are rolled on? I have personally always been in favour of NBG, but you would be shooting yourself in the foot if you passed on an FBSS because of NBG then later lost your GEBs due to all greed.

*Etiquette even >_>

bonehand
08-20-2011, 07:27 AM
Common sense applies...

When you group, ask what the rules are.
If you don't like the rules, try to have them changed.
If you cannot have them changed, then leave if you must, but leave before any real pulls begin.
If you leave after, you are a dick, if you leave before then at least nobody is going to RnF you.

Ektar
08-20-2011, 07:40 AM
Me and my IB gang have adopted new rules - the yoink rules.

What you do is if you loot a corpse and it has something you want, you loot it, and must say "yoink" in groupchat. If no one complains, you get to keep it.

Essentially people are just too concerned with exp to worry about loot for the most part (on this server as opposed to others from live). I've rarely ever "discussed" loot rules as far as cash went; people have just been sensible about it. I jokingly made up the term "cleric's privilege" when I started casting naltron on my group and I mandated a ruby crown go to me, but that's just cuz I'm a silly goose and I had already looted it.

As far as valuables, when I leveled 1-50 in 2009 it was NBG without question. "Greedy" casters would avoid frenzy groups because it was a "waste of their time" since it was universally understood the fbss went directly to a melee. Once it was suggested that the fbss would "greed" roll...? I was like I got an fbss but um, no?

Now apparently that mentality has changed. I still preach nbg and there are others that do as well, but I won that BIS cleric ring in chardok and had to hand it to the cleric (who I think quit idk but that's not the point). I found it very interesting in seb with the hiero cloak, in basically a very direct analogy to the fbss scenario, someone couldn't believe I said NBG. So ya nowadays I guess someone will say "nbg?" or "greed roll?" when something expensive drops. I would directly ask the person who could use it if he needs it to try to stick nbg on the group automatically.

Bubbles
08-20-2011, 10:32 AM
2 things come to mind

1 . ) Name me a class who doesnt wear a heiro cloak BIS unless they are a raiding guild melee class who already has a CoF (0.1% of the server). I get what you mean, just heiro is a bad example. It's yummy for everyone, really.

2. ) Hasbinbad and Bisch are probably the 2 quickest-on-the-corpse people i've ever grouped with. I swear they must be manually plugged in to Rogeans server and live in his basement. I've seen loot messages before xp messages. ;)

Ektar
08-20-2011, 10:39 AM
lol oops. I'm a kunark nubcake. when the situation arose and I said nbg, then a caster said so if that cloak drops it's nbg, I just assumed it was a melee cloak. I honestly don't even know the stats.

Brut
08-20-2011, 10:47 AM
Group with chums, avoid rubbish.

What I never understood was how casters are always all "spells are need!", but all the gear drops oughta be greed. I mean, wut? Imo at that point MT oughta disband and WC cap.

Juugox2
08-20-2011, 11:05 AM
lol well most time words or pages about all id want as a caster i mean if you want cash you can farm np usually in a group all i care about is xp i mean of course if its gems that sell 75 plat or more i def want to spilt those up lol but other than that who cares

Yinikren
08-20-2011, 11:10 AM
Spell drops sure as hell better be need if someone in the group doesn't have it scribed. Just saying.

Guybrush
08-20-2011, 11:25 AM
I stand behind need before greed 100% - I'm fine with a few dishonest people making a little extra cash as long as I don't have to waste time buying stuff in EC.

EC people are the worst, especially the ones who won't tell you how much they want for an item no matter what and you have to guess. I JUST WANT TO BUY YOUR THING AND GET OUT OF HERE! TELL ME HOW MUCH MONEY YOU WANT! >:(

Dantes
08-20-2011, 11:47 AM
You aren't high level enough to have been in groups with any valuable drops. They start doing alpha loot on expensive gems and declaring whether groups are NBG or not later on in levels. I've noticed the general rule is, if an item is under about 10k - most group members will let it go NBG - or pass on it in this way in favor of the more expensive drop if there is one at the camp. The high value items in pickup groups, they're always GREED rolls.

Dantes
08-20-2011, 11:56 AM
2 things come to mind

1 . ) Name me a class who doesnt wear a heiro cloak BIS unless they are a raiding guild melee class who already has a CoF (0.1% of the server). I get what you mean, just heiro is a bad example. It's yummy for everyone, really

Warrior. Lose 2 AC and 9 DEX if you opt for this over the Cloak of Shadows. A lot of good 75 HP does you if you can't keep aggro. That or the Seblisian Berserker cloak and free up the belt slot for a 13 dex silken cat fur girdle.

But hell yeah I'd roll on it to sell it :)

Arrisard
08-20-2011, 12:09 PM
Full random.

Too many arguments about class default make it a giant headache. Two strangers, one calling need, the other thinks he called need on the same item last week (could be true, could be mistaken), that's not an upgrade for you, that's not big enough of an upgrade for you, I need that upgrade more, certain classes just stop going to certain camps, I'll wear if fulltime but you only want it as resist gear, spells should be defaulted but not items, blah blah blah. Sometimes these arguments can be legitimate, some not so much.

I used to be hardcore class default, but, my tune has changed. It isn't that I won't join NB4G, as it isn't a make or break for me. If we're making up the rules while we start, though, I'm definitely picking full random. Everyone wants to improve their character for the least drama possible. Full random does just that, everyone gets a shot at upgrading their character and solves most drama problems (omg u hax0rz not withstanding).

Now, if someone needs it and I win the roll a lot of the time I'll just hand it to whomever needs it. If a guild group or group of friends want to full random and you need something, I'd join a new guild or get some new friends. And if you're in a guild group/group of friends and are picking up a random enc/clr/tank/whatever because you happen to be short one, you need to voice if you intend to default something before the person even takes the trouble to get there.

Though that's the point. Straighten it out before you get there and it won't/shouldn't be a problem. People don't speak up because it winds up being "Oh, that guy wanted to know how loot was done, he must be a loot whore and therefore evil!". Give me a fuckin' break. If you wanna do class default, fine, but at least make the rules before you even gather/start pulling. But don't try to say that asking to arrange the rules beforehand is somehow wrong.

Seaweedpimp
08-20-2011, 12:47 PM
Group with chums, avoid rubbish.

What I never understood was how casters are always all "spells are need!", but all the gear drops oughta be greed. I mean, wut? Imo at that point MT oughta disband and WC cap.

Well casters cant exactly upgrade and re sell the spell.

Spells arent worth what equip is worth anyway.

Rais
08-20-2011, 01:18 PM
If you don't have a loot key, you're doing it wrong. Mine is just comboed in with my flying kick and disarm.

Felwithemagi
08-20-2011, 07:13 PM
It annoys me very much to see the same person continually looting while others take nothing (mainly casters medding), but - unlike Live - no one ever calls them out for being greedy.

This is a simple problem with a simple solution. A polite request to the offending looter will resolve this 99% of the time. The other 1% means you're in the wrong group.

coki
08-20-2011, 08:41 PM
I'm sorry but if were talking about any item above like 2k NBG is f-ing retarded, specially on spells like torpor and coh and rare drops in seb specifically. I wouldn't want to group with someone who wants to give away an 80k cloak or 20k spell just because he's in the right spot at the right time. The FAIR way to do it is to greed random. but thats if you want to talk about fairness

Ektar
08-20-2011, 08:49 PM
I enjoyed seeing people get SMRs. GRATS furthering your character instead of my bank

Mcbard
08-20-2011, 11:30 PM
NBG on anything not worth over like 15k imo. Etiquette seems to vary from person to person and group to group on this server though.

Ennoia
08-21-2011, 12:02 AM
Back when I played on Bristlebane, groups generally used round robin or assigned a master looter, and people normally asked/were told how the group was handling loot on joining.

Here, however, looting (and I'm speaking of simply vendor trash here, so this mainly applies to lower level groups) seems to be very rarely discussed and most people go with the flow. It seems many players don't care about trash drops, which is understandable, but on the other hand there are some players who like to loot as much as they can carry as fast as possible. It annoys me very much to see the same person continually looting while others take nothing (mainly casters medding), but - unlike Live - no one ever calls them out for being greedy.

Going further, if no one talks about how loot is handled, is there a general rule for how valuable drops are rolled on? I have personally always been in favour of NBG, but you would be shooting yourself in the foot if you passed on an FBSS because of NBG then later lost your GEBs due to all greed.

*Etiquette even >_>

1. I've actually had people start bitching at me for looting a mob or two in a group because 'they needed money more than I did'.

2. This is EverQuest, not WoW. It's CAWU and FFA where the big kids hang out.

3. Most people aren't going to sit at a camp something like an FBSS or whatever to not roll on it.

In regards to spell drops, most people who aren't total shitbags will either pass on other loot once they get a spell or if a spell drops give away what they've already won.

Motec
08-21-2011, 01:23 AM
I generally never loot a thing, then let people die who are f*ckwits. Then train them later on.

Guybrush
08-21-2011, 01:25 AM
I'm sorry but if were talking about any item above like 2k NBG is f-ing retarded, specially on spells like torpor and coh and rare drops in seb specifically. I wouldn't want to group with someone who wants to give away an 80k cloak or 20k spell just because he's in the right spot at the right time. The FAIR way to do it is to greed random. but thats if you want to talk about fairness

Heh, I've never once seen anyone with this attitude in game...

Edit: Actually I did at one point - His name was Gmuk

Feachie
08-21-2011, 01:56 AM
Heh, I've never once seen anyone with this attitude in game...

Edit: Actually I did at one point - His name was Gmuk

he's right though, sorry. if you're in a group of random ass people, you're an idiot to give away an 80k item. what loyalty do you have to that person? if he's a guildie, sure, why not?

Guybrush
08-21-2011, 09:30 AM
he's right though, sorry. if you're in a group of random ass people, you're an idiot to give away an 80k item. what loyalty do you have to that person? if he's a guildie, sure, why not?

I'm right though, sorry. He said letting people need any item above 2000p is retarded and the only person I've seen who wouldn't let someone loot a 2000p item that they were going to wear was Gmuk.

Feachie
08-21-2011, 10:14 AM
this is eq, not soviet russia.

JenJen
08-21-2011, 10:55 AM
2. ) Hasbinbad and Bisch are probably the 2 quickest-on-the-corpse people i've ever grouped with. I swear they must be manually plugged in to Rogeans server and live in his basement. I've seen loot messages before xp messages. ;)

Miley, i still fondly remember our looting-duels in fear and hate last year :)

Nekkro Pheliac
08-21-2011, 10:57 AM
The way that I see how loot works is this. Every class needs every item that drops weather they can use it or not. If you can't wear it you can sell it to make the cash that you would need to buy something that you can use. So yes everyone NEEDS every item so they can BUY what they NEED. :) That is how I see it.

Bubbles
08-21-2011, 02:27 PM
Miley, i still fondly remember our looting-duels in fear and hate last year :)

hot hands! Cyrosilk veil!

hell ya.

mala
08-21-2011, 04:37 PM
any item of value will nearly always be greed rolls. as far as general vendor trash loot is concerned most people in the high end dont give a care in the world. even items like "helm of rile", which may be usefull to someone are usually just vendord, people (in the high end) here are only after BIS items.

Cippofra
08-21-2011, 11:18 PM
NBG is pointless in a group of strangers. And on top of that, you simply can't trust people. If a fungi tunic drops and it instantly goes to the monk in the group because he's the one that can make the most use of it, you're killing everyone else's chances of getting something nice. As a caster if I ever reach level 60, what incentive would I ever have to join a spore king group? Risky, takes a long time, and no chance of getting anything at all? No thanks. I've met people in WoW with this mentality, who greeded on everything, including the stuff that can only be vendored. Sounds bad at first, but in a game full of a-holes, you simply can't move ahead unless you become an a-hole too. Random is fair. Cant argue with fair.

mwatt
08-24-2011, 05:09 PM
Personally, I would go with NBG always, unless the group majority disagrees up front. Granted, somebody could lie, but if they get caught in that lie word should be spread. Of course, the group leader decides what need means, unless the group majority over-rules him.

That's the old school way to do things IMO. But hey, its just my opinion.

bakkily
08-25-2011, 04:57 AM
over all looting in a group, while fighting mobs, dont loot, cant stand it when i'm in groups and someones always on top of looting 3/4s of the dead mobs

if a item drops, and i'm not a picky player, for instance a jade mace, worth 3k i'm guessing? if someone uses such a shit weapon that they really could use this for a serious upgrade let them take it, i have myself in may was in com, and i cant remember the weapons name, some monk only weapon, and the guy could have used it, small group of 4 of us still trying to form it, everyone randoms, i pass, but the monk said he could really use it for a upgrade, so i said sure, and the other guy did too, but the guy who rolled the highest, and i was typing to group saying let the monk have the item, dudes name who took it was astropunk, we asked him to give back the weapon, he said screw that, so i booted him out of the group

i figure just play fair, make sure everyone wants to have a fun time by complying with each others standards

Vondra
08-25-2011, 09:47 PM
Anything of any real value, expect the item to be rolled on for selling purposes. After all considering our market, all items are just money that need to be converted. Also why should people with good gear be forced to not profit from the group at all because others are equipped poorly?

Low end, I would say let people get stuff they can use. If you're sitting in Unrest and a Savant cap drops that someone's gonna wear go ahead and let them have it, heh. You're not making the big bucks on that. If the guy is secretly running his scam of the century where he keeps putting savant caps away so he can NBG another one....well okay then I fell for it. =P

Dirtnap
08-25-2011, 10:04 PM
I tend to be a quick looter, but I am always giving gems to my casters who are in perma-med mode.

I think NBG is the way to go. When I'm in a group that decides to greed roll on an item that is an upgrade for someone in my group, if i happen to win, i give it to the person that its an upgrade for.

EDIT: I've actually won Need rolls against group members, and decided to give it to someone else instead.

Neno
08-25-2011, 11:29 PM
NBG.

If I am in a greed group and win an item and someone in the party needed it I will just give it to them if it is of no immediate use to me. I had the fortunate luck of running into Bubbles, almost 2 years ago now, who hooked me up with almost a full suit of banded even though I could only afford to buy maybe 2 or 3 pieces. Ever since than I have tried to be as kind to every other player I meet on this server. I've even given away pieces of singing steel I've won to people who are in incredibly shit gear because I'm in full planar and at best it would just sit in my bags. I'm broke as hell but I know without a doubt I have made many a persons day which is worth much more than some cash to me.

Arrisard
08-26-2011, 01:59 AM
over all looting in a group, while fighting mobs, dont loot, cant stand it when i'm in groups and someones always on top of looting 3/4s of the dead mobs

Conversely, corpses need to be cleared ASAP in most situations and a lot of the time people fuckin' dilly dally around; "Oh I don't want to be that guy". Nothing is more annoying, and sometimes deadly, than mistargets, difficulty click targeting, and accidental looting right when you REALLY don't need it.

One heads up to get something, otherwise it's game on.

Tarathiel
08-26-2011, 02:15 AM
Ffa/alpha on gems worth more than 20pp in non-guild groups just don't be greedy, I've grouped with and know many casters who can med and loot, a few ticks of mana here and there are not going to be game changers imo so that point is moot, ask for someone to loot for you if its that important to you. In regards to rares everyone opinion of what constitutes need is going to be different and likely to change depending on situations. My general rule of thumb is .... If you want it call for a roll, those who need it will roll those who don't will pass.. everyone NEEDS money.