PDA

View Full Version : Mage Tips?

SyanideGas
08-16-2011, 10:47 PM
Hey guys I just recently rolled a mage in the meantime for when I can't get a group with my Rogue,I was wondering if I could get some tips on how mages work.Much appreciated guys Thanks :)

Nerfbat
08-16-2011, 10:48 PM
When your pet is about to die, make a new one. thats all pretty much

SyanideGas
08-16-2011, 10:56 PM
Haha seems simple enough,and a pretty good start.Thanks

Vermicelli
08-17-2011, 01:55 AM
http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16538&highlight=mage+tips

Welcome to forum search. I literally searched "mage tips."

tekniq
08-17-2011, 08:17 AM
you're going to be solely using fire pet until lvl 51 really, then you'd be switching it up. try to get your torch of alna asap, that item is life or death with a mage. you're not going to really chain summon pets until the higher levels, i'd say 49+, healing does the cure. let pet tank the whole fight, heal it, then hit it with a burst of flame so it doesn't eat all your exp...that's about it really.

SyanideGas
08-17-2011, 10:35 AM
Ah k awesome,thanks guys appreciate the help.

Ennoia
08-17-2011, 10:50 AM
http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16538&highlight=mage+tips

Welcome to forum search. I literally searched "mage tips."

Well, that guide is poorly written, in terms of information and just how it's typed, and you're a douche so why would people acknowledge your sarcastic, elitist responses, anyway?

As for chain summoning, that's something you're going to need to figure out how to do. Sometimes you can get away with chain summoning when the pet is at 10%, sometimes you have to start right away. Don't start summoning the new pet when the first one is already dead, and don't plan on your pet dying mid-cast. Time it so you dismiss your old pet manually just as the new one is about to pop up. Don't worry about buffing the new one or trying to give it weapons, it's only there to hold off the mob while you make a new pet.

Anyway, if your pet does 100% of the damage to a mob, you only get 50% xp. Toss a level 1 nuke (Make Sure It Isn't Resisted!) and that does the trick. That's the only nuke you should ever be tossing really. If you're feeling bored when a mob is around 50% you could toss something bigger, but it's a waste of mana.

As for the people saying just heal your pet...dumb much? Magician heal has an obnoxious cooldown. Sure, if you're low on mana just sit there and med and let the pet regen to full, but if you have the mana, just make a new pet. Sitting there healing it is a waste of time. It costs more mana to heal a pet to full than it does to reclaim and summon a new one.

You'll be primarily using your Fire pet to level, so don't bother memorizing a damage shield spell, as they don't stack.

Oasis Spectres is going to be your home from level 29-well possibly 50. Good money, don't have to worry about douchebags pulling over you like in OoT with Seafury Cyclops, and it's fast respawns.

At around level 39 you should be able to solo camp JBoots in Ocean of Tears. Do it.

There's so much to learn about Magicians (way more than people think) that it would take all day to write a comprehensive guide. If you have specific questions you can message me on here...or bug Vazdeline in game, because he knows more Magician specific stuff that I do with all the current patches.

tekniq
08-17-2011, 11:03 AM
As for the people saying just heal your pet...dumb much? Magician heal has an obnoxious cooldown. Sure, if you're low on mana just sit there and med and let the pet regen to full, but if you have the mana, just make a new pet. Sitting there healing it is a waste of time. It costs more mana to heal a pet to full than it does to reclaim and summon a new one.

i care to challenge your statement. you can bypass the cooldown if you chain heal between the two heals we get, though the first heal doesn't do much, but it does something. also chain summoning is more mana efficient at the higher end, but at the lower to mid levels, the heal does quite a lot (20-30%) not to mention having to do burnout each time and summon 2 weapons and hand it to your pet mid fight as well as running around for a good 20 seconds so your new summoned pet has to take aggro. if you add all of those variables in, i say healing is almost just as mana efficient as chain summoning. this statement does not include 44+ as chain summoning is more efficient against furies/spectres, but i had a fairly easy time using one pet in oasis/unrest basement/karanas for my teens-44.

SyanideGas
08-17-2011, 11:27 AM
Well, that guide is poorly written, in terms of information and just how it's typed, and you're a douche so why would people acknowledge your sarcastic, elitist responses, anyway?

As for chain summoning, that's something you're going to need to figure out how to do. Sometimes you can get away with chain summoning when the pet is at 10%, sometimes you have to start right away. Don't start summoning the new pet when the first one is already dead, and don't plan on your pet dying mid-cast. Time it so you dismiss your old pet manually just as the new one is about to pop up. Don't worry about buffing the new one or trying to give it weapons, it's only there to hold off the mob while you make a new pet.

Anyway, if your pet does 100% of the damage to a mob, you only get 50% xp. Toss a level 1 nuke (Make Sure It Isn't Resisted!) and that does the trick. That's the only nuke you should ever be tossing really. If you're feeling bored when a mob is around 50% you could toss something bigger, but it's a waste of mana.

You'll be primarily using your Fire pet to level, so don't bother memorizing a damage shield spell, as they don't stack.

Oasis Spectres is going to be your home from level 29-well possibly 50. Good money, don't have to worry about douchebags pulling over you like in OoT with Seafury Cyclops, and it's fast respawns.

At around level 39 you should be able to solo camp JBoots in Ocean of Tears. Do it.

There's so much to learn about Magicians (way more than people think) that it would take all day to write a comprehensive guide. If you have specific questions you can message me on here...or bug Vazdeline in game, because he knows more Magician specific stuff that I do with all the current patches.

Thanks a bunch this helps alot!

mala
08-18-2011, 04:03 PM
although ennoia's advice is sound, theres a few things that would improve your flow. First your going to be using your first heal (lvl 8? i think) till as long as you can possibly stand it, i was using it still at lvl 49. The reason being is the ratio for mana/hp is much better. secondly, i would never chain cast pets, its a waste of time. get a top DPS pet out, give it some weapons and your set, you shouldnt be lvling off mobs that can kill your pet ( or even close) anyways.

using that strat i lvl'd a mage 1-50 in less than a month RL time and 3 days /played starting completely from scratch with absolutely no help from friends.