PDA

View Full Version : What Expansion Did You Quit Live?

Nytewind TP
08-16-2011, 02:20 PM
How far into Live did you play until you retired?

Harrison
08-16-2011, 02:23 PM
OoW, or whatever was right after PoP.

PoP keying, flagging, and guild thieving of our players killed my guild and I had no desire to continue a recruiting spree to reflag people that will then be stolen.

Vohl
08-16-2011, 02:28 PM
Underfoot. I quit due to extreme time commitment as well as money for the monthly fee plus expansions.

Sinadyen
08-16-2011, 02:35 PM
Had my limelight in the raiding scene from SoV to PoP, then went casual after doing Time for the Xth time. With GoD and OoW offering virtually nothing for the casual, I quit just as DoN was being released.

Ennoia
08-16-2011, 02:35 PM
Even though I played a bit during later expansions for a couple weeks at a time, I quit playing serious during LDoN...which I guess you could technically say was still PoP, because LoY and LDoN didn't really offer much in terms of extended gameplay.

nilbog
08-16-2011, 02:36 PM
I notice OOW, which has the most votes at the time of this post, coincides nicely with the vanilla release of WoW.

Ennoia
08-16-2011, 02:40 PM
...and I just realized why I liked PoP so much, and why it seemed to go on longer than all of the other expansions. People all but ignored Legacy of Ykesha (being the worst expansion in gaming history), and other than instanced dungeon grinds that you'd get sick of after the first 3 or 4 each day, LDoN was a wash as well. This essentially gave PoP a year and a half by itself as the main content in the game.

I notice OOW, which has the most votes at the time of this post, coincides nicely with the vanilla release of WoW.

Totally true and a nice catch. I always thought OoW was a better expansion than Gates of Discord (WTF were they smoking when they named those places?!), and just offered more interesting content, but the population dropped a lot when WoW launched. I think it was around then that SoE started to give up on policing people using MQ2.

achtung
08-16-2011, 02:41 PM
Omens of War. Kunark through Plane of Time (with the exception of vex thal!) was the best raiding I've done in any MMO, but something about GoD/OOW just killed it for me. I really liked the LDON concept for single groups and had a great time at it, but just couldn't get excited about the future raid content. Did play WoW a bit (after a few months break from gaming) but it wasn't the trigger.

Harrison
08-16-2011, 02:42 PM
If PoP didn't sap the will of so many people, OoW could have been good.

My guild and I went over to WoW on release. I got bored and quit after like 2 months.

So far in WoW, Cataclysm was the most fun of all of it added together.

Dravingar
08-16-2011, 02:45 PM
I quit like a month or two before GoD came out, my server was pretty much dead by that point plus being in WoW alpha didn't help either.

Ele
08-16-2011, 02:45 PM
VT key quest was the beginning of the end for me. Planes of Power and the new flagging process, AAs, and levels sealed the deal.

Nytewind TP
08-16-2011, 02:46 PM
I left almost a year after WoW came out. I liked EQ, but once everyone you mainly played EQ with went to WoW I had to try it out.

Ennoia
08-16-2011, 02:47 PM
If PoP didn't sap the will of so many people, OoW could have been good.

My guild and I went over to WoW on release. I got bored and quit after like 2 months.

So far in WoW, Cataclysm was the most fun of all of it added together.

Really? Cataclysm is what killed it for me. Sure launch night was fun with out 4 man LAN set-up...even though our shaman bitching out and going to sleep cost me server first 85 Druid, but the expansion itself was pretty bad from my point of view. The most fun I had in WoW was during BC. Wrath totally killed PvP.

Rust1d?
08-16-2011, 02:50 PM
Sol killed it for me...there was so much to do in kunark and velious that I did not even touch

Vendar
08-16-2011, 02:55 PM
i quit seriously playing after PoP. last time i ever logged in was probably GoD or OoW

Kaedain
08-16-2011, 02:55 PM
i quit with the release of OoW, and like people have said before, if you were not in a solid raiding guild (which i wasnt at the time), espcially after the releases of GoD and PoP, there was really nothing to offer the more casual player

and as much as i hate to say it, Vanilla WoW was an excellent game.. but WoW will never garner the same emotions EQ will

Harrison
08-16-2011, 02:56 PM
Really? Cataclysm is what killed it for me. Sure launch night was fun with out 4 man LAN set-up...even though our shaman bitching out and going to sleep cost me server first 85 Druid, but the expansion itself was pretty bad from my point of view. The most fun I had in WoW was during BC. Wrath totally killed PvP.

Were you a raider, pvp, 5man, all, or some?

From a raiding standpoint, Cata was amazing.

5mans...more difficult, but still ezmode.

PvP...all fucked up pre-85, balanced at 85 roughly, once everyone was in full gear.

Drem
08-16-2011, 03:00 PM
ykesha, ldon, and god were all awful

oow was ok once you got to anguish and your 2.0. every expansion after that was great imo. broken sea and secrets of faydwer were some fun raiding

guineapig
08-16-2011, 03:02 PM
Omens of War. Kunark through Plane of Time (with the exception of vex thal!) was the best raiding I've done in any MMO, but something about GoD/OOW just killed it for me. I really liked the LDON concept for single groups and had a great time at it, but just couldn't get excited about the future raid content. Did play WoW a bit (after a few months break from gaming) but it wasn't the trigger.

More or less same experience for me.

Moonzi
08-16-2011, 03:04 PM

Cataclysm was the worst expansion in WoW imo...nm the game and community are carebear enough. I agree with you on BC...had so much there...everything went downhill after Sunwell for me...I went as far as killing LK Heroic. To each their own though it's all a matter of personal preference.

Glitch
08-16-2011, 03:07 PM
I played from launch until about a month into Luclin.
I couldn't deal with furries.

Drieddead
08-16-2011, 03:07 PM
I played eq up till seeds of destruction i think. The day i logged in and seen the "sony station store" i quit.

As far as wow goes i didnt start playing till WotLK. Iv enjoyed cata but im just a 5 man small timer lol XD

Moonzi
08-16-2011, 03:43 PM
Also stopped at the beginning of Luclin

Atmas
08-16-2011, 03:44 PM
I quit in OoW. I really just played a little of GoD (it was so terrible) and a bit of OoW. I honestly thought the part of OoW I did was alright but server/guild was dying fast at this point.

PoP was a ton of fun. I think that the epicness of getting up and through the Plane of Time felt like a good ending point.

Kope
08-16-2011, 03:48 PM
PoP was a ton of fun. I think that the epicness of getting up and through the Plane of Time felt like a good ending point.

Even though I played through part of Deapths of Darkhallow (actually raiding in that expansion was very very fun) you do have a good point.

What do you do after you KILL ALL OF THE GODS!? Lets go...kill some...weird alien guys...?

bakkily
08-16-2011, 03:50 PM
made it to potime, made it to kt in god, did rs in oow, pretty much i played between 2003-04, was in classic but only got to lvl 20 or so around there, but everything in eq i had good times

Goraxx
08-16-2011, 03:51 PM
Loved all the expansions up to LoY, then quit.

Absolutely hated that expansion.

Deadmantis
08-16-2011, 04:00 PM
I was full tilt EQ from beta to Velious. Took a brief hiatus just before Luclin to play DaOC. Once that ran it's short course came back to EQLive for Luclin and more fun and expansions. Stopped for good just after DoN was released. Only had 1 real life friend still playing and he thought it was awesome. I thought it sucked. GoD and OoW pretty much ended it for me but I figured I would give it one more try.

Spent a couple years in EQ2, LoTRO and did WoW from Burning Crusade thru WoTLK.

Also tried WAR and Aion but quit before the free 30 days ran out for each. Did Rift for about 3 months, then ended up here. :)

Jakanden
08-16-2011, 04:41 PM
I went from launch to right before Planes of Power. I came back once after Legacy of Ykesha was released, but quit again 2 months later and I realized how much had changed and how far behind I now was.

deakolt
08-16-2011, 04:43 PM
started Kunark, quit OoW. Man I was so close to getting my epic too, just needed to get that one thing from fear and kill the undead trakenon

Savard18
08-16-2011, 05:26 PM
GoD was really a raiding expansion, and was considered to be extremely tough even for people who had mostly time gear. Most guilds on Live didn't even beat GoD until the level cap was raised in OoW - and still most struggled. You had to basically be time geared to beat the group mission to get flagged for the 1st raid zone, and most people just weren't that geared up.

From a raider standpoint, GoD had some tough, but very good raiding scripts, OoW did also - however add WoW, all the other games being much easier to play, the terrible storyline EQ tried (another dimension), and everything else that was going wrong with EQ, you could tell it was going downhill - plus a server merger is never a good sign.

I played from early Kunark until Secrets of Faydwer, retired, came back, beat Seeds of Destruction, retired for good. Honestly I only stayed because of the friends I had in my guild, I use to hate the direction the game went.

I have always felt that Luclin was the start of the decline, especially since Velious was probably the best - imo, especially from a raiding standpoint.

Collum
08-16-2011, 05:59 PM
looking at all the years on the poll, made me a little sad...

Silentone
08-16-2011, 06:13 PM
I quit right after PoP, when we beat time. For the same reason as most..my guild was sick of reflagging new people it was gettin old. That and I knew eq2 was coming out and at the time i felt eq1 would die fast after eq2 launched, so i decided to take a break from eq1 before i jumped into eq2.

Gwence
08-16-2011, 06:29 PM
Im a pretty hardcore eq lover, I quit at seeds of destruction because I hated the sony marketplace shit and people buying xp potions and illusions and all that junk that took away from the people that still had those original items.

Out of all the expansions they released there was really only 1 I disliked and that was lost dungeons of norrath, I dont really consider LoY an expansion but it was awesome for the added bank space!

Savok
08-16-2011, 06:36 PM
Played from Release through to House of Thule. My guild had been working on Underfoot for awhile (and recently beat it) but my heart (and wallet) just wasn't into playing Live anymore.

jarshale
08-16-2011, 06:39 PM
what was the one with gunthak? I think it was GoD. that one

Appaullo
08-16-2011, 06:42 PM
My story echoes a few posts here. I did Time, then sort of half assed my way through GoD, then when my guild started OoW I just could'nt find the energy to come home from work and play to midnight anymore. I get out of bed for work at 4:00 AM so ... it was catching up to me. I started a month or so after EQ went live. Some of the best years of my life, but time catches us all.

Appaullo

Phallax
08-16-2011, 06:44 PM
I played from late vanilla(few months before RoK release) till DoN in 2005. I took a short break before GoD and came back as a berserker and loved the class.

PoP was some of the better raiding imo.

and yes nilbog WoW is what killed the EQ community, sadly I was one of them =/

Were you a raider, pvp, 5man, all, or some?

From a raiding standpoint, Cata was amazing.

5mans...more difficult, but still ezmode.

PvP...all fucked up pre-85, balanced at 85 roughly, once everyone was in full gear.

Really? I thought Cata raiding was terrible. PvP is terrible and 5 mans are ok but yes still way easy.

Vanilla WoW imo was the best raiding. and BC season 2? Arenas was the best pvp

Arrisard
08-16-2011, 06:48 PM
LDoN, not a fan of instancing at all, and found myself playing less and less.

GoD was when I stopped logging in altogether.

jarshale
08-16-2011, 06:51 PM
wait no that's not right. I remember instances so it must have been LDoN. worst idea ever imo

add294
08-17-2011, 12:07 AM
Quit during Late Velious once my guild disbanded. Didnt have the time or energy to work my way into another raiding guild. I was lucky to be in the one i was since i was only a level 56 cleric with some POH and Skyshrine quest gear, the rest garbage. The one thing that i wish i had done was my epic. I had spent tons of time to get up to Ragefire. The spawn was just impossible for me to get :(

bigferg
08-17-2011, 02:55 AM
I played a few months before Kunark up until OoW. I bought GoD but didnt do too much content with it. Ended up going to Wow and played that for years, got tired of that and was looking to go back to EQ. Thank God I came across project 1999. Loving this. Love the retro feeling that takes me back from when I first started EQ.

Atmas
08-17-2011, 03:20 AM
GoD was really a raiding expansion, and was considered to be extremely tough even for people who had mostly time gear. Most guilds on Live didn't even beat GoD until the level cap was raised in OoW - and still most struggled. You had to basically be time geared to beat the group mission to get flagged for the 1st raid zone, and most people just weren't that geared up.

Wikipedia phrased it pretty well:
When released, some of the content was nearly unplayable for most of the player base. Numerous bugs were discovered in the game with the release of the expansion, which also updated the graphics and geometry engine. Old content seemingly unrelated to the new expansion "broke", requiring the immediate attention of the new developers or online guides and GMs. One explanation offered is that during expansion developments there was a "changing of the guard" in the staff at SOE, leading or contributing to these issues. It was also revealed that a management mistake had been made in which some of the content was meant for the next tier cap of player levels - level 70. A SOE game developer confirmed that SOE designed Gates of Discord with level 70 in mind, but SOE did not include the planned tier cap increase from 65.[1] This management mistake ensured that several critical points of the expansion were unbeatable by most players at that time, both for single groups and raids. Whatever the cause, these issues were eventually addressed, but too late to prevent controversy.

Vladesch
08-17-2011, 03:37 AM
OOW.
Playing a level 70 enchanter who couldn't mez mobs wasn't fun, especially when the mob that regularly dropped the turnin for the spells was never up.

(I won't even start on the shenanigans I had to pull to get the shard off emperor for my VT key).

Of course if I played european time (ahead of USA) instead of Asian time(behind USA) things would probably have been much better)

WOW was a breath of fresh air. After the shafting I got in EQ, I will never ever play another SOE game. Yay for instances and the end of cockblocking.

Saidi
08-17-2011, 03:43 AM
I've only been playing the last 5 years, but quit recently when HoT came out. My guild (Truly Naughty Troop) was dying, and I had (have) no real motivation to raid so it seemed like it was time.

I don't have the same frustration with the current game that most of you seem to have, but it certainly wasn't for me anymore either. This server is a wonderful change. :)

Crug
08-17-2011, 04:18 AM
I started near launch, and then quit after Planes of Power came out. I was just so far behind my friends in level (made it to 52 on my shaman, had a lot of alt-itis), my rig at the time was giving me grief for Luclin already, and finally, it just didn't feel like the same game I started with. Luclin had some great stuff in it, I loved the Bazaar, AAs gave level capped folks something to do, other than that though I felt the game went downhill hard after Velious.

Valroth66
08-17-2011, 04:58 AM
I quit a while after OoW, for DAoC.

bonehand
08-17-2011, 09:52 AM
PoP was enough for me...multiple day raids, staying up till daylight and finally when we finished Time and the guildmaster attempted to kidnap, literally, my sister in Vegas, we had enough and quit.

Tiggles
08-17-2011, 09:58 AM
PoP was enough for me...multiple day raids, staying up till daylight and finally when we finished Time and the guildmaster attempted to kidnap, literally, my sister in Vegas, we had enough and quit.

I smell a good story

go on...

falkun
08-17-2011, 10:00 AM

I was one that quit during OoW, but it wasn't to go play WoW. I quit because I didn't feel like purchasing OoW since I had hardly seen any of the GoD content, and my guild had disbanded and friends had left, so I walked away. I did end up playing WoW, but that was over 3 years later. And I did not quit WoW to play P99, my friends left, so I quit, then after a month or more, I found P99.

Bohab
08-17-2011, 10:05 AM
got banned for cussing out a GM in shout during velious... daoc released and i never looked back till now

Brawk
08-17-2011, 11:22 AM
Started with PoP because my friends at work wouldn't and couldn't stop talking eq all damn day. We were all programmers working for a trading company at the time.

We all ( about 8 of us ) quit after OoW released. The group content was so tough that it required top gear from previous xpac so we gave up.

Went to WoW, played for years. beat LK hard mode then cancelled.

stormlord
08-17-2011, 12:46 PM
I retired several times so this poll isn't fair. I quit in 1999 to go to UO and didn't come back until 2001. I didn't quit because something was wrong with EQ, I quit because I wanted to see what else was out there. I came back when I had the means and was interested in doing so. I quit in 2002 and came back in 2005. Quit and came back in 2007. Quit off and on until 2010 when I quit and haven't returned. Last I was there, I was frustrated because I thought they should make SOD easier rather than push us levelers into OMMs and BOOMs.

EQ has a syndrome. It makes trashy new content that's a slimy shadow of what it's replacing. I think if they had made the new content AND readjusted old(er) content then that would have been the best thing to do of all things I can imagine. But they keep ignoring the progression players. If they had made SOD easier substantially while also supplying the OMMs and BOOMs then I think the entry into UF would have been smoother. And if they had made UF a bit more like SOD was then UF would have been more successful too. As it was, UF was tuned hard at first instead of easy at first and this made worse its other overlooked problems.

That and camping, even all these years later, is still not fun. It never will be either.

I do think EQ2 is a superior game to EQ1 right now.

Malev
08-17-2011, 01:03 PM
GoD killed it for me, was a dull and lifeless expansion, and the merging of the pvp servers meant lots of bullshit and training that never happened previously on our server

Kope
08-17-2011, 01:04 PM
I do think EQ2 is a superior game to EQ1 right now.

Ouch! I tried EQ2 for a bit but it just seemed like it didn't have a soul to me :(.

Sickle
08-17-2011, 01:39 PM
Purchased Luclin and never installed it...Still have the unopened box somewhere.

Will never forget the day Velious came out, I played sick to get out of school. Had pops go to mall and get me the game. I played continuous for the next 12-16 hours and missed school once again the next day.

Kope
08-17-2011, 01:41 PM
I played sick

Ironic name is ironic? :D

mala
08-18-2011, 11:40 AM
quit durring luclin cause i hated the content, came back for PoP. Loved PoP but didnt have the gear to do anything cause of no luclin. Dicked around until GoD and than quit for good.
Took a break from MMO's and than tried Age of conan... what a flop that was.

Beat WoW in less than 2 months durring WotLK and than played for a month in Cata. Cata raiding was sick before they nerfed it to piss. Quit wow once they announced the first content patch, and came to here.

NOW I WUB YOU ALL

beamers
08-18-2011, 12:08 PM
Started in classic and quit in GoD.

I enjoyed everything through that period except for Luclin. -- the flags/keys for PoP wasn't really the greatest thing either...

Velious was by far my favorite era.

eqravenprince
08-18-2011, 01:00 PM
Started in classic with the cloth map and all the disconnections early EQ was riddled with. Quit the first time to go play DAoC which was around when Luclin was released. Came back to EQ after about a month. Quit again to play EQ2 during the Planes of Power time frame, well I didn't buy the 2 new expansions omens or gates. Played that for a few months, and went to play City of Heroes/Villains. Played that on and off for about 3 years. I tried WoW, Aion, and Lotr for a day or so. And I have spent several months here on and off, I love EQ, just don't have the time like I use to, also don't have the friends here that I use to play with. Most people here are way more hardcore than me.

Dantes
08-18-2011, 01:16 PM
Velious. I don't know what the fuck an AA is. Alcoholics Anonymous, right?

eqravenprince
08-18-2011, 01:33 PM
What I'm seeing is people left because something better came along as the primary reason. I remember about half my guild leaving when DAoC came out. Then many people came back on and off until EQ2/WoW came out.

Brut
08-18-2011, 02:01 PM
Recall quitting around when GoD came out. Hadn't bought luclin or PoP or LoY (got em later in some package download deal and only visited like nexus and bazaar ever), just rolled around kunark and velious all days long.

Kept going back every half a year or so just to see how far behind I was jetting in terms of the gears and whatnot. Folks would always have the "new thing" with some monster-missions or whatever adventure point crystal-magic-mumbo-token-systems that'd let em do some group quest in 30mins that'd result in +500hp +50all stats equip for those involved. Was kinda hopeless to catch up at that point imo.

Arillious
08-18-2011, 02:14 PM
Quit towards the end of PoP. I played on VZ and PoP damaged pvp to the point where the game no longer was fun.

Kunark and Velious were great pvp expansions, Luclin was alright, but started the decline into PoP.