PDA

View Full Version : A question about Quad-Kiting...

Excellio
08-15-2011, 08:54 PM
Okay, so I have a lvl 38 Druid, and I think I get how quad kiting works. Just ensnare 4 mobs, circle them till they're on top of one another, then start casting the AE DD on the group.

The trouble is that a couple of the mobs will resist the nuke somewhat, and often, they resist it entirely. Finally, when they're all low health, I ALWAYS end up being OOM and I have to run and sit down to med so I can nuke them again. I've never finished a Quad kite without medding several times toward the end of the kite, and that's starting with FM.

Is this a common issue with quad kites, or am I doing something wrong?

Kassel
08-15-2011, 09:05 PM
It depends what you are kiting. Some options are: find lower level mobs thus decreasing the resists and mobs HP. Find lower HP mobs in general (IE Giants have high HP). improve your gear. If your at 200 wis, get some +mana items. Another thing you can do is time your meds with server ticks. IE run for 4 sec, sit for 2 (due to lag) that way you get a med tick in and still move ahead of your quad. This takes some practice but is easy once you get it down.

Ulivar
08-15-2011, 09:05 PM
You may either need better gear, or most likely, the mobs you are trying to kite, are too close to your level for a good kite. try finding lower level monsters that are still dark blue. Anyhow i had that trouble too for awhile till i got higher lvl anyhow

booter
08-15-2011, 09:18 PM
Yeah, you need to find the sweet spots for each level like the above people have said.

I started quadding with my Wiz at 34 and stuck to The Overthere until my low 40s. After that I did mostly spectres (Oasis, OOT) until 48. After that I hit the goblins in Lake of Ill Omen until 52. I had some decent gear which gave me a good mana pool, so your milage may vary.

Kevlar
08-15-2011, 09:19 PM
time the med tics so you sit right when it goes off. buy clarity.

Atmas
08-15-2011, 09:42 PM
Try grabbing a C or C2.

Vaken
08-15-2011, 09:47 PM
I used to run ahead of the mob for a few seconds and sit and med while they caught up. At this rate I would always have around 20% mana left over after a quad.

Vondra
08-15-2011, 11:23 PM
Getting that extra level or two and then coming back to things you can't quite quad makes all the difference in the world with those spell resists.

bulbousaur
08-16-2011, 08:13 AM
All of these are good advice. Make sure your wisdom is as high as possible to get your mana pool up. +6 wis rings, +3 wis earrings, plat ruby veil, testament of vaneer, all of those get that mana pool deep enough.

Messianic
08-16-2011, 11:04 AM
As a wizard, I was able to quad kite effectively nearly naked. I had a few quest items that brought my int to 160 (staff of the wheel, acumen mask, runescale cloak).

A bigger mana pool is of limited value until mid 50s. If you need all of your mana, you're probably quadding in an area that isn't going to be efficient enough for you for some time.

If you're getting lots of resists, you're killing mobs too high for you.

Here's how I did it:

~26-31: Mammoths in EF
31-34: Giant skels in Rathe Mts
34-42: 4 guards in NK - 2 near gypsy tower and 2 on bridge to SK (they have comparable hp to stoneleer cockatrices/thorny succulents/sarnak berzerkers/Sabretooth tigresses in OT)
42-45: Yetis near the ice tunnel in Dreadlands
45-51: Bloodgills
51-53: Spirocs
53-54: Raptors

And that's where I stand. I never needed a large mana pool until Raptors, since a quad was only 75-70% of my mana when i was moderately geared.

bulbousaur
08-17-2011, 10:43 AM
But - if you can finish a quad of higher level creatures - more xps.

Messianic
08-17-2011, 12:59 PM
But - if you can finish a quad of higher level creatures - more xps.

I tried that...you're always best off quadding stuff that's barely blue.

Waffen
08-17-2011, 07:16 PM
druid quadding for dummies

-bind where you're quadding/port to wc, run to ec, trade sow/ports for clarity, gate back.
-round up 4 mobs that con DB(preferrably mobs with low HPs; i.e. cacti/birds in OT)
-run a good 10-15 seconds ahead of the mob for proper med time
-aoe nuke, run, sit, repeat.

aresprophet
08-18-2011, 03:38 AM
A couple tips on druid quadding:

-34 is the first level you can effectively do it, but it's going to be highly inefficient and, in many quad spots, downright impossible without 200 wis and a Manastone. Specs are the first really efficient quad-friendly camp and you won't want to try those until 39 at least.

-Quadding is not terribly efficient compared to charm-killing or a good group, but its chief virtue is that it gives you 6-7 minutes of med time, minimum, to alt-tab out, go AFK, or read a book. It's a lot easier on your sanity to grind for a long time quadding because you can do other things.

-Most quadding spots are highly competitive. Even if you can quad them I advise against attempting HGs or Seafuries because the likelihood of you not being able to get a 4th mob is too high.

-Don't rely on clarity. Porting/gating out to get it can mean losing your camp, and the extra efficiency doesn't mean anything if you can't kill stuff.

-Get a Lumi staff. It's invaluable in finishing off stragglers without wasting precious mana or med time.

mala
08-18-2011, 11:06 AM
"time the med tics so you sit right when it goes off"

this is prolly the most valuable piece of advice you can get

bulbousaur
08-18-2011, 04:06 PM
However, you often will need to sit another second or two before standing/moving or your mana will go back down =(

Excellio
08-18-2011, 09:15 PM
"time the med tics so you sit right when it goes off"

this is prolly the most valuable piece of advice you can get

My mana regens weird. Like, if I have 30 mana, it will go up to 55 or something, and if I stand up right when it does, it will go back down. I have to wait for it to go back down a little bit each time it goes up or I will lose the mana from that tick.

These are all great suggestions, though. I can't wait to try this stuff out. One more question, are DoTs a waste when quadding?

Waffen
08-18-2011, 10:36 PM
These are all great suggestions, though. I can't wait to try this stuff out. One more question, are DoTs a waste when quadding?

yes. it wastes mana that could be used on an aoe nuke and also, DoTs do half the dmg they should do if a mob is moving, as opposed to if a mob is rooted.

Estu
08-18-2011, 10:53 PM
yes. it wastes mana that could be used on an aoe nuke and also, DoTs do half the dmg they should do if a mob is moving, as opposed to if a mob is rooted.

Two thirds, not half, but yeah.