PDA

View Full Version : 6 Troll war or 8 ogre sk

Brawk
08-15-2011, 08:14 PM
I freaking love my little 6th level troll warrior but I am EXTREMELY worried about the aggro issues that I keep reading about here.

I play about 1 hour or so each evening and possibly 3 hour sessions on late weekend evenings. I don't see raiding ever possible with my schedule.

Should I continue with the warrior, or keep grinding with the SK? The SK xp penalty is a real drag and I don't like the fact he will never dual wield.

So, to summarize.

I only expect to do group content, never raid.
Hate the xp penalty that comes with SK.
Like to watch dual wield spam. :)
Concerned about warrior agg and groups disbanding early.
I don't have a lot of plat (about 120p), so twinking either character isn't feasible.
My highest are a 20 chanter, and 18 nec, but I'm drawn to melee.

Hamahakki
08-15-2011, 08:39 PM
As a warrior you will definitely have to work harder than hybrids to keep agro, but it can still be done.

Some suggestions:

- Get a pair of Obsidian Shards. These start procing at level 16 and are the best threat weapons available until the mid 30s.
- Try to avoid groups where you are the lowest member.
- Try to group where the mobs are blue, so you can taunt them.
- Watch the mobs carefully and taunt as soon as you see them turn away.

If someone is pulling agro constantly:

- Tell them to watch their own threat.
- Tell someone else in your group to start rooting and then stand very close to the mob to get root agro.

Tycko
08-15-2011, 08:55 PM
If you plan on doing anything with a melee 30+ you will need more than 1-2 hours of play time. If you seriously want to consider a melee with your current schedule I would suggest an SK so at the very minimum you can log on and solo for an hour during the week and on the weekend you can try to get into a group when you have 2-3 hours to play. But as it stands with "classic" EQ, if you can't put in 3-5 hours of play in one session your chances of getting anything done during a play session are pretty slim.

I recommend you stick with your chanter or necromancer so you can solo during your small play sessions.

Ennoia
08-15-2011, 08:55 PM
I freaking love my little 6th level troll warrior but I am EXTREMELY worried about the aggro issues that I keep reading about here.

I play about 1 hour or so each evening and possibly 3 hour sessions on late weekend evenings. I don't see raiding ever possible with my schedule.

Should I continue with the warrior, or keep grinding with the SK? The SK xp penalty is a real drag and I don't like the fact he will never dual wield.

So, to summarize.

I only expect to do group content, never raid.
Hate the xp penalty that comes with SK.
Like to watch dual wield spam. :)
Concerned about warrior agg and groups disbanding early.
I don't have a lot of plat (about 120p), so twinking either character isn't feasible.
My highest are a 20 chanter, and 18 nec, but I'm drawn to melee.

Play the SK. Later on, an SK can solo, Warriors cant, so if you only have an hour or so and can't find a group, you aren't sitting around doing nothing. Also, SK has 0 aggro issues if you know what you're doing, and can just do more than a Warrior ever could.

Estu
08-15-2011, 11:11 PM
Playing a non-twink warrior is a giant pain in the ass if you can't get a hold of some proc weapons to hold aggro with. SK also has better soloing capability, which if you're playing for short periods of time you might need to do occasionally. XP penalty is much smaller when in a group since you effectively spread the penalty around.

mokfarg
08-16-2011, 12:02 AM
I would go with the 8 SK only because he is two levels higher and will most likely win the duel.

Rhaj
08-16-2011, 12:37 AM
My alt will be a Iksar Warrior. I am a glutton for punishment.

Iwar
08-16-2011, 09:53 AM
Go with warrior, don't you worry. With one exception, you will have to spend some time in EC haggeling to get an ok gear, if you are not ready to do that, pick something else. Up untill lvl 37 - 40 (yak proc) you will have aggro snagged from you by T-Staff monks, but hey, that's just the way it is being untwinked and those monks generally can stand some punishment, having over all twinked gear.

But still, we all have different opinions of what's fun. Personally I've had tons of fun struggeling myself up in the game. Gear is important, but skill > all.

Three hot tips for you:

1)Get a good bow and tag all incoming mobs once or twice to get a head start in aggro.
2)Also, don't hit taunt button unless you've just lost aggro, it needs to be available instantly when you do.
3) If you lose aggro, make sure you hit the mob in the back to max out your dmg.

deneauth
08-16-2011, 10:23 AM
just an opinion, my warrior was untwinked as well when i started. gnoll hide lariat was my best friend. Super cheap, and stun proc pisses enemies right off. At such low lvls your role is to keep aggro and take dmg, the lariats are not meant for DPS just aggro. you can save up for obsidian shards at a later date.

Estu
08-16-2011, 10:38 AM
just an opinion, my warrior was untwinked as well when i started. gnoll hide lariat was my best friend. Super cheap, and stun proc pisses enemies right off. At such low lvls your role is to keep aggro and take dmg, the lariats are not meant for DPS just aggro. you can save up for obsidian shards at a later date.

Lariats don't proc until 25.

maverixdamighty
08-16-2011, 10:51 AM
make a monk.

deneauth
08-16-2011, 10:54 AM
Lariats don't proc until 25.

Ah my bad, must have changed. I know it was proccing sooner than that but that was like april 2010.

Brandonian10
08-16-2011, 11:24 AM
Pick the one that you will play.. period. Having better aggro won't matter much when you're down the line, a pissed off slow-swinging shadowknight dreaming of dual wield. If a troll warrior is what you love, that's the only one that makes sense to play.

Besides, obsidian shards are completely within your grasp.. saw one selling for 100 plat a few days ago, so technically you could already obtain one. Just farm some bone chips and HQ bear skins (bears are around your level anyways) and you can also get full bronze in a pinch.

On a sidenote.. if you want a melee class, love the dual wield spam, are really worried about aggro, and just want to do group content- then a rogue or monk would be ideal (their DW spam will put a warrior's to shame). That is if you're not set on tanking.

jarshale
08-16-2011, 11:51 AM
how much do obsidian shards go for now? i quit playing my war due to not being able to pull aggro away from anything, but I have a bit of cash for twinking now

Dantes
08-16-2011, 12:16 PM
I think they're still around 300pp. You might also look for the Whip of Strangulation and the Goblin Skull Crusher. The skull crusher will outdamage the Gnoll Hide Lariat and it procs stun at level 15 according to Zam's. Pretty sure I saw one going for just 100pp the other day.

For the OP - Another thing to consider if you don't have much play time, find a duo partner. Or just camp in the dungeon where you intend to group. I've made plenty of experience in 2-3 hour sessions. I agree with the SK penalty woes, I have an SK alt and it's agonizing to watch the bar slowly inch ahead.

jarshale
08-16-2011, 12:26 PM
I think they're still around 300pp. You might also look for the Whip of Strangulation and the Goblin Skull Crusher. The skull crusher will outdamage the Gnoll Hide Lariat and it procs stun at level 15 according to Zam's. Pretty sure I saw one going for just 100pp the other day.

thanks broseph

bakkily
08-16-2011, 01:48 PM
warriors are a fun class, can lvl up quickly, but more then often when making a group i'd rather have a hybrid tank, my personal favorite tank are paladins, sk's will always keep the agro on them selves quite easily, just wish more peeps played pals, but have fun thats what' were all here to do

Gamkek
08-16-2011, 05:35 PM
Pick the one that you will play.. period. Having better aggro won't matter much when you're down the line, a pissed off slow-swinging shadowknight dreaming of dual wield. If a troll warrior is what you love, that's the only one that makes sense to play.

Besides, obsidian shards are completely within your grasp.. saw one selling for 100 plat a few days ago, so technically you could already obtain one. Just farm some bone chips and HQ bear skins (bears are around your level anyways) and you can also get full bronze in a pinch.

On a sidenote.. if you want a melee class, love the dual wield spam, are really worried about aggro, and just want to do group content- then a rogue or monk would be ideal (their DW spam will put a warrior's to shame). That is if you're not set on tanking.

This

but have fun thats what' were all here to do

And this. If you really enjoy the Troll Warrior, I say go with it. You're only here to have fun, anyway. SK may be easier to tank with, but if you don't dig the SK it's still time wasted because you're not enjoying your character.

Added bonus: Troll warriors are really rare on this server, oddly enough, so you will be one of a kind. :cool: