PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous: Nerf Sol A exp

Barthorn
10-30-2009, 05:34 PM
Sol A exp. Sol A exp seems to be a bit too much. Yeah dungeon bonus, cool. But the exp in Sol A does not compare to any other dungeon or zone, the exp in Sol A is just above and beyond. This is just leaving all lvl 20+ in SOL A. Everyone wants exp groups there and no where else this is not how the game should be, either up the exp in other areas/dungeons or fix the exp bonus in Sol A. Does anyone agree with what I'm saying?

Caelor
10-30-2009, 05:57 PM
I'm not sure if the SolA exp bonus is too large or the SolB is too low, but killing reds in SolB gives less exp than blues in SolA.

Smashed
10-30-2009, 06:22 PM
Sol A exp. Sol A exp seems to be a bit too much. Yeah dungeon bonus, cool. But the exp in Sol A does not compare to any other dungeon or zone, the exp in Sol A is just above and beyond. This is just leaving all lvl 20+ in SOL A. Everyone wants exp groups there and no where else this is not how the game should be, either up the exp in other areas/dungeons or fix the exp bonus in Sol A. Does anyone agree with what I'm saying?

agreed, its a bit retarded. Honestly I always hated sola, so I may be a bit partial considering that...but it seems ridiculous that we are all vacuumed into the same zone.

Jify
10-30-2009, 06:38 PM
Is there a problem with the ZEM in that zone? That would suck, tracking everyone down and taking the exp back. :(

Dartagnan
10-30-2009, 09:07 PM
Or is it that other dungeons do not have the right modifiers?

Aeolwind
10-31-2009, 02:13 PM
Interesting, you've jumped onto a much broader problem. Hang tight.

Dreadder
10-31-2009, 02:42 PM
The problem I see with nerfing SOLA exp is that you screw everyone over who hasn't reached level 20 yet. I've been in such a situation before where people who did something before me got it easier in a different game and it was pretty lame that I had to work twice as hard to achieve the same thing. Only fair way is to knock off a few levels of people who have already exped there :D

Jify
10-31-2009, 05:44 PM
The problem I see with nerfing SOLA exp is that you screw everyone over who hasn't reached level 20 yet. I've been in such a situation before where people who did something before me got it easier in a different game and it was pretty lame that I had to work twice as hard to achieve the same thing. Only fair way is to knock off a few levels of people who have already exped there :D

In that case the people that took advantage of something that gave an over-abundance of exp would have that extra experience removed. Doesn't matter that they didn't know or whatever, it's just a fair way of setting things straight.

It's been done, on this server (taking exp back). Something like SOLA would be a lot trickier to solve out though. Just like it would be even more difficult to "give" exp to those who have been leveling in zones that should have ZEMs, but don't. (if that is the case)

Rest assured, the GMs will find a fair way to handle it. :)

darnzen
11-09-2009, 01:30 PM
I was in sol A for a bit last night at lvl 22. The xp was very good, but seemed right to me. We were killing red mobs .. lots of them. We wiped out several times. All in all, seemed balanced risk - reward. XP rate seemed to match Unrest and Mistmore at earlier levels. I think part of the problem is all the comparable zones are bugged (Cazic, Runnyeye, etc.) so its hard to get a comparison. Sol B ZEM might be too low, but sol A doesn't seem too high.

Also, there are some definite pathing / agro cascade bugs in sol A. We were trying to fight way back to efreeti and after 4 attempts gave up. Each time we'd be swarmed by a dozen gobs in a train that definitely wasn't from the pull or AE use or anything. Maybe hate list isn't getting cleared properly, or hate is getting transfered between gobs telepathically or something...

doraf
11-09-2009, 01:56 PM
Or correct the exp bonus in other dungeons.

Naerron
11-09-2009, 03:06 PM
i guess you never played live. because the exp was ALWAYS like this. On live i remember tons of people loving this exp and saying the same things. Exp in that zone was so great because it was a really tough zone. \
1) many hidden walls
2) many hidden pit falls
3) traps that can take 90% of your health
4)Many of the mobs see invis, making CR tough
5) on live at 20% the mobs would take off at full speed, you needed a snare.

I remember when live EQ did the combine server, sola was packed. Its a bonus of zone for areason. You gonna ask them to nerf velks in velious too? That's where everyone will be...just like live....If anything its not that the zone needs and exp boost, it just needs to have the goblins run at the right % and at the right speed.

Danth
11-09-2009, 03:48 PM
The combine server is hardly relevant to P1999.

Everyone was in Velks because it was easy to get to and had good loot in fairly easy camps. Siren's Grotto and especially Dragon Necropolis were rather out of the way.

I make levels much more quickly in SolA than I did on Live. This may be due to the ZEM, or it may be due to the way groups (especially those heavy on casters) chain-pull red-con mobs without even thinking about it, while on live blues were the order of the day.

Danth

Zithax
11-09-2009, 04:46 PM

No, I don't agree.

I'm pretty sure other dungeons don't have a proper +% zem.

jendor
11-10-2009, 02:54 AM
Sol a had its ZEM increased at some point (maybe a couple times) because few people went there with the closely packed social mobs that fled (while sow'd by friendly shamans), saw invis, and healed through walls without engaging in combat. Even very early in classic when folks were still exploring I'd go there to camp impskins and it would be completely empty.

I'll try to find some evidence for the ZEM changes.

Derazor
11-12-2009, 04:42 PM
On live I could PL a character with a 60 druid from 25-41 in five hours in sola on gnomes.

Skeletonya
11-12-2009, 05:01 PM
I think it would be nice to have a bonus in more places, if anything to have more places people are willing to goto

messiah_b
11-12-2009, 07:51 PM
On live I could PL a character with a 60 druid from 25-41 in five hours in sola on gnomes.

So you are saying the server should progress so that you can get to 60 and justify the exp? Terribly confused by this post.

stormlord
11-13-2009, 07:09 AM
The combine server is hardly relevant to P1999.

Everyone was in Velks because it was easy to get to and had good loot in fairly easy camps. Siren's Grotto and especially Dragon Necropolis were rather out of the way.

I make levels much more quickly in SolA than I did on Live. This may be due to the ZEM, or it may be due to the way groups (especially those heavy on casters) chain-pull red-con mobs without even thinking about it, while on live blues were the order of the day.

Danth

Chain pulling red cons? *rolls his eyes* This server is a mess. Why don't they just call this beta.

Derazor
11-13-2009, 10:28 AM
So you are saying the server should progress so that you can get to 60 and justify the exp? Terribly confused by this post.

I was just making a reference that the XP was very good on live in SolA just from experience.

stormlord
11-13-2009, 10:39 AM
Sol a had its ZEM increased at some point (maybe a couple times) because few people went there with the closely packed social mobs that fled (while sow'd by friendly shamans), saw invis, and healed through walls without engaging in combat. Even very early in classic when folks were still exploring I'd go there to camp impskins and it would be completely empty.

I'll try to find some evidence for the ZEM changes.

Sol a. Do you mean the goblins? You get there from lavastorm? I was at a place like that not too long ago because it was a hotzone (on live). The problem was that we needed snare and neither of us had it. The second problem was we got a lot of adds. Experience was good, but we went ahead and left because we died one too many times to runaway mobs and adds.

We all gotta remember the difference between classic eq and a bug/flaw. If there's an instance where a zone is just so out of balance with others that everyone wants to be there, then you don't need to be a designer to see the problem.

Another popular place atleast in 2001/02 was HHK. I remember having lots of groups there. I never went to SolA. If it was as over the top as some suggest here, I think I would have heard about it. Maybe this is all being exaggerated.

guineapig
11-13-2009, 12:04 PM
HHK was generally way better/faster exp with much less risk on Live.
Not to mention the convenience of merchants, guards and a bank!!!

stormlord
11-14-2009, 06:15 AM
Someone posted this in the ZEM thread:
http://www.project1999.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3977&postcount=42

HHK looks out of balance now, lol! Good zem, bankers, plat drops, and merchants! Ouch.

I remember grouping there a lot in 2001/02, but no idea how popular it was in 1999.

I'm surprised south karana only has a 1.00 zem considering how far you have to travel to get there. It could be that this loss in expereince is compensated for by it being a flat zone with plenty of room or escape. No traps. No twists and turns. And there might be some good loots drops? I hope they put some thought into the ZEM and didn't just cook it!

Wenai
02-21-2010, 06:15 PM
Fixed a long time back. Moving to resolved.