PDA

View Full Version : Classic PvP-Server

freakyuno
07-28-2011, 02:25 PM
Ok, I started playing on Secrets new TZVZ server a few weeks ago, and realized how much I love world pvp in EQ, and it brought back a lot fo memories from back in my RZ days.

That being said, Secrets server has lots of problems. Thoes of us who have played there know what they are, no reason for me to go into a list. I know Secrets is a brilliant fellow, and a great coder and all, but quite absent after putting the new server up.

I have the ability, resources (hardware), and c++ knowledge to run my own server, and I'm pretty sure I'm tired of waiting for Secrets to fix his box, or for P99 devs to give us a Red box (if they do, or dont, intend to isnt the question).

What I need is this:
1.) A couple GM's that are willing to dedicate a couple (5 - 6) hours a week to handle the standard stuff. Monitoring playerbase (for hax, we arent babysitters), unsticking corpses, unbugging quests...etc

2.) Another developer who's at least partially familiar with the EQEmu code base and a pretty sharp c++ developer.

3.) An understanding from the player base, that I can put a server up in the next 3 or 4 days, and patch it every couple of nights as we go forward - but it's not going to start bug free or hacker free, but eventually it'd be at a controllable limit.

Any interest, or are we all sold on Secrets, and or, waiting for R99?

Bardalicious
07-28-2011, 02:59 PM
Anyone that hosts a PVP box and devotes time and effort into updates / fixes and policing the server of hax deserves a debt of gratitude. I hope it works out for you.

Don't get me wrong, I like VZTZ. It's got a decent code base. And I hate seeing the PVP community diluted and divided among multiple servers. But without relatively constant interaction with the community by Secrets, an effort to fix things every week and actually giving Vile and them access to work on the server, it'll die out. I have no doubt that if he hadn't gone MIA so quickly, the server would have a constant 100+ population at this point.

Anyone that thinks that R99 is still coming just wont or cannot accept the truth. It's time we got a stable server run by stable people to PVP on. It's fairly obvious it would do pretty well, judging by how VZTZ did out the door even with all the bugs.

freakyuno
07-28-2011, 03:17 PM
Anyone that hosts a PVP box and devotes time and effort into updates / fixes and policing the server of hax deserves a debt of gratitude. I hope it works out for you.

Don't get me wrong, I like VZTZ. It's got a decent code base. And I hate seeing the PVP community diluted and divided among multiple servers. But without relatively constant interaction with the community by Secrets, an effort to fix things every week and actually giving Vile and them access to work on the server, it'll die out. I have no doubt that if he hadn't gone MIA so quickly, the server would have a constant 100+ population at this point.

Anyone that thinks that R99 is still coming just wont or cannot accept the truth. It's time we got a stable server run by stable people to PVP on. It's fairly obvious it would do pretty well, judging by how VZTZ did out the door even with all the bugs.

I agree, Secrets had a good thing going, I like the codebase, he was quick to get a domain up, he even hired a couple of GM's - then vanished and never gave them access to anything.

Bardalicious
07-28-2011, 06:04 PM
Did anyone besides Secrets and I think Rogean have the VZTZ code and DB? You may want to look into potentially getting that from someone, I'd say it would be a good starting point for what you want to do.

johnny ringo
07-28-2011, 06:22 PM
i really doubt they're gonna give up the VZTZ code.

anyway i'd love to help get a new pvp server going. i'm decent with C++ and have a few ideas for a server we could discuss. shoot me a PM.

Bardalicious
07-28-2011, 06:31 PM
Yep that's why I was asking if anyone else had the code for it. I don't know the history of VZTZ but I would have to imagine someone else had access to it.

deakolt
07-28-2011, 06:45 PM
^ this is the problem with all these endeavors. No one wants to share their hard work. Open source is generally a good things guys...

freakyuno
07-28-2011, 06:47 PM
I dont know if they'd give it up or not, but honestly, I'd probably rather start from the latest Emu sources, and build from there. I've heard from SOOO many people involved in the VZTZ project that they did all kinds of hacks and mickey mouse workarounds to get stuff going. There's about 5 main area's that need addressed from the current code base

1.) Bugs
2.) Classic PvP Ballance (iffy topic)
3.) Content
4.) Boxing
5.) Hacking

1,4,5 - I've got a good handle on. Almost finished a system to eliminate hacking previously, just never had a place to implement it.

Johnny - I'm after a truly classic experience (where it only differs when the classic experience had no meaning, and an educated decision exists to change it)

I'd like the help. Currently I'm getting the server put up, and a repository to work on the codebase and admin tools for the database. I should have the server up as a starting point to where we stand in a few hours, and source control access to code and db in the next few days.

I'll shoot any interested a PM and we'll get crackin!

Jadian
07-28-2011, 07:13 PM
Cool

Secrets
07-28-2011, 07:14 PM

anyway i'd love to help get a new pvp server going. i'm decent with C++ and have a few ideas for a server we could discuss. shoot me a PM.

You mean the thing that's been sitting on google code for a year and a half now? (http://code.google.com/p/vztzfebsource/downloads/list)

I'd be MORE than glad to give the VZTZ server and what changes I have done so far to a team who isn't going to sully the name of PvP.

The matter of the fact is, the reason I have been reluctant to fix anything is because it's already fixed, and it would be a better idea for me to merge efforts with P1999 at this point instead of doing grunt work and competing with them. That's why I have spent time talking to Rogean and nilbog trying to get on board with Red99 and their PVE side of things as well, because let's face it EQ PVP is nothing without the PVE content and if the effort is already done, why not just help them? It's not like LoL where the maps are disposable and you can just restart the game each time, PVE content really matters in this game even for a PVP situation.

I know some people may not like Red99 or grinding xp, or the P1999 staff, but let's face it, Red99 is the only chance I have and the community has at fixing all these issues. It took them 2 years to fix all of the issues in p1999 so far with the developers they have now. Now, subtract 10 developers and 8-20 GMs throughout the years and you have my project. The development time to finish a classic PVP server will skyrocket because of that. So what does this mean, should you wait for P1999 red? No, play on my server as it's a quick fix for something that may happen later. I have boosted xp rates on purpose, it's made so you can PVP without having to invest time. P1999 red will be around to stay if it ever does happen. I am working my best with negotiations with their staff to make it happen, so that's more info than you've had in the last 3 months, there ya go.

I've had a few things in mind for when/if I do things with the p1999's staff's approval. This is purely speculation but likely I will be merging in code, tweaking player versus player combat to work with special PVP rules based on VZTZ's resist formulas and attack formulas, (And mind you, this will NEVER affect PVE combat directly.) etc.

I simply want to see this PVP server and a classic PVE server come to life. Is it something i'd play? Probably not, but for those few people who want nostalgia and fun, I'm willing to back you guys up. :)

Bardalicious
07-28-2011, 07:42 PM
So basically don't waste any more time playing on VZTZ because Secrets has no intention of the server going anywhere.

Another decent PVP emu server getting flushed down the shitter for no good reason. And it's this exact type of unpredictable behavior that hurts the entire emu PVP community as a whole. Why invest time in any of these boxes when they historically only last a month?

The grass is always greener on the other side pals. VZTZ could have aspired to the Red99 concept everyone seems so obsessed with. The only thing that would make or break something like that is reliable hosting and staff, something none of these PVP boxes seem to be able to get right.

Freaky, if you end up pursuing a PVP box, hit me up if you need help with anything. I can GM, code, work on the database, quests etc.

Tonomar
07-28-2011, 07:54 PM
You mean the thing that's been sitting on google code for a year and a half now? (http://code.google.com/p/vztzfebsource/downloads/list)

I'd be MORE than glad to give the VZTZ server and what changes I have done so far to a team who isn't going to sully the name of PvP.

The matter of the fact is, the reason I have been reluctant to fix anything is because it's already fixed, and it would be a better idea for me to merge efforts with P1999 at this point instead of doing grunt work and competing with them. That's why I have spent time talking to Rogean and nilbog trying to get on board with Red99 and their PVE side of things as well, because let's face it EQ PVP is nothing without the PVE content and if the effort is already done, why not just help them? It's not like LoL where the maps are disposable and you can just restart the game each time, PVE content really matters in this game even for a PVP situation.

I know some people may not like Red99 or grinding xp, or the P1999 staff, but let's face it, Red99 is the only chance I have and the community has at fixing all these issues. It took them 2 years to fix all of the issues in p1999 so far with the developers they have now. Now, subtract 10 developers and 8-20 GMs throughout the years and you have my project. The development time to finish a classic PVP server will skyrocket because of that. So what does this mean, should you wait for P1999 red? No, play on my server as it's a quick fix for something that may happen later. I have boosted xp rates on purpose, it's made so you can PVP without having to invest time. P1999 red will be around to stay if it ever does happen. I am working my best with negotiations with their staff to make it happen, so that's more info than you've had in the last 3 months, there ya go.

I've had a few things in mind for when/if I do things with the p1999's staff's approval. This is purely speculation but likely I will be merging in code, tweaking player versus player combat to work with special PVP rules based on VZTZ's resist formulas and attack formulas, (And mind you, this will NEVER affect PVE combat directly.) etc.

I simply want to see this PVP server and a classic PVE server come to life. Is it something i'd play? Probably not, but for those few people who want nostalgia and fun, I'm willing to back you guys up. :)

I don't think Rogean would ever be a part of something that would hurt his precious server's population. Those who go blue, never go back.

Kope
07-28-2011, 07:56 PM
I don't think Rogean would ever be a part of something that would hurt his precious server's population. Those who go blue, never go back.

TBH I think it's those who go red never go back. It just adds a Z-axis to the game that it doesn't have w/o.

Keegan
07-29-2011, 01:08 AM

Voidd already gave it to Rogean. I've got a copy too but who really wants it? No one. That's who.

JayDee
07-29-2011, 05:03 AM
pretty sure secrets wants it

AffEcT
07-29-2011, 05:18 AM
I dont understand what happend to Null?
He just disappeared.....

SearyxTZ
07-29-2011, 05:19 AM
The VZTZ code has been on google for like a year.

The database (which I have, and I'm sure a few others do) might be slightly more useful. But again - compared to what P1999 has running, it's unfinished/incomplete crap.

If the worst case scenario that P1999/Rogean/etc absolutely refuse to share their stuff or throw any kind of P1999 red server up, then the best thing to do would be to work off VZTZ and essentially do all of the work that they did (the hard way). Which is unfortunately not a small undertaking and while the optimist in me would love to see all of the developers / quasi-developers (Secrets, Vile, HPT, Null, whoever else) work together in that scenario, it's hard for me to envision that ever actually happening.

Qauz
07-29-2011, 05:21 AM
wheres cohpvp at?

freakyuno
07-29-2011, 07:17 AM
The VZTZ code has been on google for like a year.

The database (which I have, and I'm sure a few others do) might be slightly more useful. But again - compared to what P1999 has running, it's unfinished/incomplete crap.

If the worst case scenario that P1999/Rogean/etc absolutely refuse to share their stuff or throw any kind of P1999 red server up, then the best thing to do would be to work off VZTZ and essentially do all of the work that they did (the hard way). Which is unfortunately not a small undertaking and while the optimist in me would love to see all of the developers / quasi-developers (Secrets, Vile, HPT, Null, whoever else) work together in that scenario, it's hard for me to envision that ever actually happening.

I'm kinda with you on this one. The optimist in me says, Secrets will work closely with the P99 staff, and in a couple of months they'll launch (or begin to plan) a R99 server. I however am not sure it will ever really happen. Roegan is very protective of his code base and database, thats understandable. But it also means that unless the P99 staff actually has interest in opening a red99 server, it really wont ever happen. I dont ever see them giving their codebase to secrets to open one.

Jon
07-29-2011, 12:26 PM
My hat goes off to you, Secrets. You're a good man.

Vile
07-29-2011, 01:57 PM
Crucify PvP?

fiegi
07-29-2011, 02:25 PM
custom s0 bad

Tonomar
07-29-2011, 05:18 PM
I was gonna put up Crucify, but then I got high bah da da da dut duhdaaaa. Vile in a nutshell.

muffins
07-29-2011, 05:32 PM
custom v bad

hey chuck

muffins
07-29-2011, 05:33 PM
someone just host a server with vztz code i don't care if it is broken like secrets server was, just as long as you are active with trying to fix things.

freakyuno
07-29-2011, 05:44 PM
someone just host a server with vztz code i don't care if it is broken like secrets server was, just as long as you are active with trying to fix things.

Getting the server up now. I'm going to host it with the VZTZ code. I've got the server and database built, as well as a logging engine to catch hackers, and I've got it registered with the emu login. Just working on a small problem with dynamic zone loading, and it'll be live and ready to roll.

I have every intention of staying active on the development of the server, as well as servicing petitions and player issues.

Bardalicious
07-29-2011, 05:45 PM
^ good stuff freaky

Bardalicious
07-29-2011, 05:47 PM
I would suggest setting up forums before you launch a server. People become discouraged and leave without having a place to congregate to post about issues and such. It also provides a higher feeling of stability rather than thinking it's just some random server that'll be closed in a week.

Just my 2c of course

freakyuno
07-29-2011, 06:13 PM
I would suggest setting up forums before you launch a server. People become discouraged and leave without having a place to congregate to post about issues and such. It also provides a higher feeling of stability rather than thinking it's just some random server that'll be closed in a week.

Just my 2c of course

Yep, thats a good idea. I'll get a forum setup somewhere at least for the beta / stress test phase (which should last about a week).

Stickyfingers
07-29-2011, 06:43 PM
I see Project Zek - Classic EQ PvP | 5.0 on the server list, is this your server freaky? And does that mean its up?

Went off list. Must still be fixing it.

Darksinga
07-29-2011, 08:31 PM
wtb peeveepee

Tajin
07-29-2011, 09:12 PM
put it up.. lets do it

freakyuno
07-30-2011, 07:13 AM
I see Project Zek - Classic EQ PvP | 5.0 on the server list, is this your server freaky? And does that mean its up?

Went off list. Must still be fixing it.

Yep, thats my box, still working out some issues, so I'm not quite ready for public connections, but it'll be available today at some point to have people logging in and starting to tell me whats wrong with it.

valithteezee
07-30-2011, 09:41 AM
yay

freakyuno
07-30-2011, 10:03 AM

Secrets...I'd be a long way ahead if I could get what you've done already with the code, and the database. Currently the VZTZ code was setup to support Kunark, which is being a pain to back out. I tried to send you a PM here - but it says you dont accept them...:(

PM me please, I'd really like to get ahold of what you have.

Thanks,

Darius
07-30-2011, 10:09 AM
is the server gonna be a poor mans red99??
Classic slow grinding xp like p99?
Item loot?
Non Boxing?

All of the above would be interesting and fun!

Darksinga
07-30-2011, 11:15 AM
i say go for the slower xp because on vztz it's only always been so fast

fiegi
07-30-2011, 11:24 AM
slower exp rate sux but it helps with the ackers in the long run.

Bloodfart
07-30-2011, 11:39 AM
Slow exp rate will make a lot of pvpers bored including me. I don't want to grind mobs; i want to grind players.

Bardalicious
07-30-2011, 11:40 AM
Doesn't seem like it would be terribly difficult to disable Kunark. Set the Expansions variable to 0, delete the translocators from BB and Oasis, query and delete port spells off of merchants.

I haven't played with EQEmu servers much but I'd assume you'd have to edit either your DB or EQEmuConfig to disable kunark zones from being loaded as well.

But yeah, Secrets should give you what he's got imo.

Bardalicious
07-30-2011, 11:42 AM
Slow EXP = more opportunity to grind PVP pre-level 50 imo. This is EverQuest after all, not Quake Arena. Also, yes, having to devote actual time into developing your character = people more inclined not to jeopardize their account by hacking.

Tajin
07-30-2011, 12:10 PM
It should be slow exp rate w/ hell lvls... i mean give it a shot! What did ya'll expect red99 to be.

freakyuno
07-30-2011, 02:27 PM
Doesn't seem like it would be terribly difficult to disable Kunark. Set the Expansions variable to 0, delete the translocators from BB and Oasis, query and delete port spells off of merchants.

I haven't played with EQEmu servers much but I'd assume you'd have to edit either your DB or EQEmuConfig to disable kunark zones from being loaded as well.

But yeah, Secrets should give you what he's got imo.

It's a little harder than that, theres changes to the character system in place when kunark released, there's drops that should be droping that dont anymore after the kunark release. There's disciples in place that shouldnt exist (I know they start at 51, but they mess things up).

Not to mention the quests and other things that were put in when Kunark was released. It shouldn't be overly hard, but it'd be a lot easier if I could get what Secrets has.

I got a msg from muffins that he's idling in IRC, so I'm gonna jump in and see if I can snag him.