PDA

View Full Version : Worse odds than the lottery.

magnetaress
03-13-2024, 07:25 AM
The uncontrolled reentry of massive objects such as the battery pallet is fairly uncommon, and most objects that do meet their demise through Earth’s atmosphere usually burn up with no trace left behind. Space agencies commonly accept a 1-in 10,000 probability threshold for the casualty risk of a single uncontrolled reentry, according to ESA. As the space industry continues to grow, it might get trickier to monitor who’s sticking to the rules, which could eventually result in new regulations.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/massive-pallet-old-batteries-enters-210000886.html

Merrick
03-13-2024, 07:52 AM
The rarity of uncontrolled reentries like the battery pallet underscores safety concerns. With industry growth, enforcing regulations becomes pivotal.

WarpathEQ
03-13-2024, 09:16 AM
Anyone else think its a bad idea to send a pallet of batteries hurdling through the atmosphere? Seems a lot like putting batteries in the microwave, spewing explosive acid into the atmosphere can't be bad right?

Duik
03-13-2024, 09:24 AM
*Hurtling*

Maybe they are rocket batteries.

magnetaress
03-13-2024, 12:08 PM
*Hurtling*

Nickle hydride. And they didn't come down in a controlled manner. Almost hit Ft Myers FL. Why it is newsworthy.

Really sloppy of NASA. Out of character. Reeks of desperation. Also really wasteful. If a land based company dumped them in Cuba or the ocean there'd be stiff penalties. Osha/ epa be mad.

WarpathEQ
03-13-2024, 12:21 PM
*Hurtling*

I meant Hurdling, as in Hurdling over all the other trash we put into atmosphere.

LOL JK good looking out

Duik
03-13-2024, 04:19 PM
NASA is landbased. They just do a lot of off-site jobs.

The more shit that is launched into orbit the more this will occur.

It will only get worse until the whitehouse is hit. Or possibly Bozos/Muskrat house.

Look Up.

Trexller
03-13-2024, 04:43 PM
this would not be a bad method of assasination if one could "control" descent

couldn't be used against china or russia because reasons

say some nation like Congo contracted to put a satellite into space and "the booster section fell" and hit maduro's house which somehow exploded with a force of 1 kiloton

surgical strike capability, 100% deniability

Duik
03-13-2024, 04:45 PM
Space Force would stop that.
Jesus H Christ.

Trexller
03-13-2024, 05:02 PM
Space force so far is basically just a building with monitors that watch satellites

but uh, their charter says that they have jurisdiction from 100km to infinity

so uh, with the inception of the space force, the USA has claimed military authority over like, ALL OF SPACE, you know, the entire universe...

so

that could end up interesting

WarpathEQ
03-13-2024, 05:17 PM
Just wait until they unleash the Schwartz....Our Schwartz is bigger then their schwartz

magnetaress
03-13-2024, 06:04 PM
The Space Force's $29.4 billion proposed budget for FY 2025 is the smallest request of the U.S. armed forces, with the overall Air Force request being $217.5 billion. The Army is requesting $185.9 billion, and the Department of the Navy—including the Marine Corps—is requesting $255.7 billion.

29bil would get u to alpha centaur imho. Especially if you don't need to tool up ur own factory for ur ship. Definitely could get a pizza to mars.

Trexller
03-14-2024, 12:16 AM
oh man it would cost like 29bil to get a pizza to mars unfortunately

alpha centauri would be more than 29trill

Pulgasari
03-14-2024, 12:19 AM
oh man it would cost like 29bil to get a pizza to mars unfortunately

alpha centauri would be more than 29trill

Not sure why starkind wants to go to a binary system anyway. :p

We have Red Dwarf at home. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxima_Centauri)

Trexller
03-14-2024, 12:24 AM
Not sure why starkind wants to go to a binary system anyway. :p

they are extremely common and proxima centauri is the closest of any other stars

single star systems like ours are sort of an exception to the rule

yet another of the trillion things that had to exist for life as we know it to exist

/check for intelligent design

God? I dont know

Pulgasari
03-14-2024, 12:32 AM
they are extremely common and proxima centauri is the closest of any other stars

single star systems like ours are sort of an exception to the rule

yet another of the trillion things that had to exist for life as we know it to exist

/check for intelligent design

God? I dont know

Proxima is also believed to barf electricity on the regular. Sucks not being able to radio for help. :rolleyes:

Trexller
03-14-2024, 12:37 AM
if anyone is listening at that distance, then they definitely know we're here

we've been broadcasting and detonating massive electro-magnetic devices for ~100 years

they have had plenty of time to realize those EM signatures are reality TV and h-bombs, and decide that they don't want none of whatever those crazy chimps are up to

Duik
03-14-2024, 03:19 AM
We have Red Dwarf at home.

Triggered! Oh, not that red dwarf.
Confirmed, Pulgasari is a tease.

magnetaress
03-14-2024, 06:15 AM
Honestly if you have the tech to do 4.1ly in a decade why not just do 8ly or 9ly?

I think we could build and launch a small robot ship to our close neighbor. Musk would if he knew the truth. If it wasn't done for profit. At cost. With secret tech and indentured scientists. It'd be even cheaper.

The government definitely doesn't want to deal with people knowing we have this capability tho. Especially not when Biden v Trump is on our ballots and inflation goes wild.

Ekco
03-14-2024, 12:36 PM
i just hope the light of Betelgeuse going supernova reaches us soon. people gonna freak out

https://arxiv.org/pdf/2306.00287.pdf

magnetaress
03-14-2024, 01:44 PM
me too and the radiation

Trexller
03-14-2024, 02:21 PM
Honestly if you have the tech to do 4.1ly in a decade why not just do 8ly or 9ly?

I think we could build and launch a small robot ship to our close neighbor. Musk would if he knew the truth. If it wasn't done for profit. At cost. With secret tech and indentured scientists. It'd be even cheaper.

The government definitely doesn't want to deal with people knowing we have this capability tho. Especially not when Biden v Trump is on our ballots and inflation goes wild.

the tech doesn't even remotely exist to carry enough fuel and other supplies for human trips -even to mars-

i crack up laughing anytime someone says we'll have boots on mars by even 2030, we can't even get a robot probe to soft-land on the moon correctly.

E-Musk thinks people are gonna live on mars out of pure choice, not scientific curiosity

not as long as your rocket fuel is hydrocarbons. sorry.

this will require some form of nuclear propulsion, not nuclear batteries... legit nuclear propulsion.

we're going to need to find dilithium

magnetaress
03-14-2024, 04:44 PM
Boots already there bozos and musk just tryn'a play ketchup

Trexller
03-14-2024, 07:38 PM
Boots already there bozos and musk just tryn'a play ketchup

Uh nah there are some robot probes, a couple robot cars and a robot helicopter...

Unless this is taking an alien conspiracy or panspermia turn, in which case then its the lizard people.

Lizzid People!!

magnetaress
03-14-2024, 08:07 PM
Lizzid People!!

Yes :cool:

magnetaress
03-14-2024, 08:07 PM
I am the heckle fish.

Trexller
03-15-2024, 12:34 AM
I am the heckle fish.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F_ZzOwVWMAAUOEV.jpg

magnetaress
03-15-2024, 07:09 AM
VLQ-Q53HgsY?si=8L4hl52A2N9VtMjC

Pulgasari
03-15-2024, 01:10 PM
We're closer to cavemen than spacemen.

The future will laugh at our backwards asses if all that science junk turns out to be true.

🦎

BI1jugqWKPA

Trexller
03-15-2024, 02:18 PM
We're closer to cavemen than spacemen.

This ^

We haven't even adopted a global clothing uniform.

In every sci fi future, people wear the same thing. Everytime they interact with extra-terrestrials, they too are all wearing the same thing.

The secret to space travel and utopian harmony must be silver jump suits.

magnetaress
03-15-2024, 02:53 PM
This ^

We haven't even adopted a global clothing uniform.

In every sci fi future, people wear the same thing. Everytime they interact with extra-terrestrials, they too are all wearing the same thing.

The secret to space travel and utopian harmony must be silver jump suits.

This is actually kinda true. And I would be all for mandatory uniforms for everyone!

Ciderpress
03-16-2024, 05:32 PM
I'm gonna keep wearing my "too drunk to fuck" shirt no matter what planet I'm on, thanks.

magnetaress
03-17-2024, 07:52 AM
Dying to space junk will be the next "cool way to go".