PDA

View Full Version : Ranger: which self buffs are worthwhile?

port9001
03-04-2024, 06:08 PM
As a Ranger I have quite a few buffs I could keep up on myself, but it's not overly clear which ones are worth the effort.

I pretty much take it as a given that my AC+DS buff and Skin buffs are worth it for the extra AC, with the light DS or HP being a nice side benefit. It helps that these are long lasting anyway. But maybe this is a poor assumption. How much AC actually matters?

SoW obviously.

Now for the shorter lasting buffs that are somewhat more annoying to keep up at all times:

Firefist- this gives +12 ATK. Is this worth it? I tried some parsing today and over the course of a few hour solo session it parsed out to be 5% more DPS but the sample size feels too low to say anything definitive. Is it possible for 12 ATK to give that much DPS? Doesn't seem right.

What about strength? This should affect ATK as well as max hit right?

Call of Sky feels worth it, at least to me as a 40's Ranger. I can expect it to fire off enough times to be a pretty efficient nuke.

Toxigen
03-04-2024, 11:02 PM
summoning DSM

Solist
03-04-2024, 11:53 PM
As a Ranger I have quite a few buffs I could keep up on myself, but it's not overly clear which ones are worth the effort.

I pretty much take it as a given that my AC+DS buff and Skin buffs are worth it for the extra AC, with the light DS or HP being a nice side benefit. It helps that these are long lasting anyway. But maybe this is a poor assumption. How much AC actually matters?

SoW obviously.

Now for the shorter lasting buffs that are somewhat more annoying to keep up at all times:

Firefist- this gives +12 ATK. Is this worth it? I tried some parsing today and over the course of a few hour solo session it parsed out to be 5% more DPS but the sample size feels too low to say anything definitive. Is it possible for 12 ATK to give that much DPS? Doesn't seem right.

What about strength? This should affect ATK as well as max hit right?

Call of Sky feels worth it, at least to me as a 40's Ranger. I can expect it to fire off enough times to be a pretty efficient nuke.

10th ring
nev cloak
see invis
ultra vision
five flowers
SoN
CoTP

If it aint on this list, it isn't worth acquiring or casting. While you're levelling you can get away with having harmony, sow, and flame lick memmed and 5 empty spell gems until 60 just fine.

Best of all just abandon the ranger at 60, strip him except some EC hitpoint gear and make him a weaponshield bot. Best thing for them.

Snaggles
03-05-2024, 07:48 AM
It really depends what you are doing since the spell book is very flexible. Call of Sky/Fire is nice dps at your level, at 60 I still it with jolt as a caster interrupt. The only buffs I always have up are the ones that might save my life or the ones people ask for frequently. Later when the buffs last longer it’s less annoying to keep them up; I still rarely use the spike coat line and Call of Earth but they last forever. The Shield of __ DS is a mana hog for the duration but can be helpful if otherwise if the player is getting hit a ton (the more per second the better it is).

Up to 50 I’d be spending most my mana on snare and panic animal. Tigerraptors near Skyshrine got me to 49 easily. I’d prob get a shrunken goblin earring and use that instead of Firefist. As a junk buff in slot one to protect SoW and other costly buffs. Also for the attack and global cooldown clickie. Going back to the “save your life” mantra that plus root in slot #1 isn’t always needed but can save the day.

wildculture
03-05-2024, 08:52 AM
Depends on what you're trying to do. If I'm soloing and face tanking or jousting, then it's skin line, _coat line, fire fist, call of sky, and wolf form.
ATK buffs really make a huge difference, and it's really the only thing that rangers are great at buffing.
If you're fear kiting or grouping, then it doesn't matter too much, just do your +ATK buffs for increased DPS.

Toxigen
03-05-2024, 10:20 AM
10th ring
nev cloak
see invis
ultra vision
five flowers
SoN
CoTP

If it aint on this list, it isn't worth acquiring or casting. While you're levelling you can get away with having harmony, sow, and flame lick memmed and 5 empty spell gems until 60 just fine.

Best of all just abandon the ranger at 60, strip him except some EC hitpoint gear and make him a weaponshield bot. Best thing for them.

lol

and i thought i was an elf elitist

Troxx
03-07-2024, 09:39 AM
My static spell loadout has always been:

1: heal
2: snare
3: root
4:
5:
6:
7: harmony
8: thorns

Those 5 spells are always up with slots 4/5/6 rotating around depending on what is going on. Typically flame lick somewhere in the lineup. Jolt too depending on content.

Buffs I keep up: coat DS (long), skin, CoE (after you get it), SoN (after you get it), strength and sow. After 55 I have kept regen up. Depending on circumstances both short DS buff and call of fire are ver mana efficient.

Jimjam
03-07-2024, 11:02 AM
Clearly heal, snare, flames �� ��, root, another root, anything can happen thursday, thorns, bug nuke ��

Salaryman
03-07-2024, 03:12 PM
Only buff I have always slotted is sow, I would slot lev too but I have the cloak. When farming skelingtons in paineel I keep strenght of nature, call of fire and storm strenght slotted.

Call of earth, strenght of nature both great buffs that are over ride gob ear and ring 8, gotta carry an ac set, mr set, dex set, diferent weapons, its impossible to get enough pr, theres no room in my inv and im not even carying mats for fletched arrows.

I feel like an enchanter complaining about not enough spell slots.

Cant imagine why anyone would play ranger on a pve server though they are pretty much useless.

RobotGraveyard
03-13-2024, 01:05 PM
All of your self buffs are great. I am 60 and when I solo, I just self buff. Str, Agi, Shielding, Thorncoat, Thorns, Regen, SoN, CoTP, CoE, firefist, wolf form, levi (cloak). Eye patch of plunder for Captain Nalot's Quickening as well for the haste.

Jimjam
03-13-2024, 02:03 PM
SoN and Firefist?

Solist
03-14-2024, 03:22 AM
SoN blocks worts.

You exist to hold aggro during a weaponshield/train away/backtag and tl box, buff rogues with CoTP.

RobotGraveyard
03-14-2024, 12:06 PM
SoN and Firefist?

Strength of Nature (https://wiki.project1999.com/Strength_of_Nature)
Level 51 spell
Increase ATK by 25
Stacking: Block new spell if slot 4 is effect 'Max Hitpoints' and < 400
Increase Max Hitpoints by 75

Firefist (https://wiki.project1999.com/Firefist)
Level 9 spell
Increase ATK by 5 (L9) to 10 (L18) and 13 (L43)

RobotGraveyard
03-14-2024, 12:09 PM
SoN blocks worts.

You exist to hold aggro during a weaponshield/train away/backtag and tl box, buff rogues with CoTP.

I wouldn't listen to this at all lol. This guy seems to have fallen into the trap of being miserable on his Ranger. Those things listed are only if you are raiding. Yeah, CoTP should be cast on rogues sure. And other melees if they request. And yourself. SoN does block wort potions (healing potions) but also doesn't play nice with regrowth.

Your self-buffs are really good for what they are. Through my leveling process, I kept myself fulling buffed on my own. Only when I hit 55 and was solo'ing chardok did I really start getting crazy buffs with haste and mind buffs from passing Enchanters.

Snaggles
03-15-2024, 12:19 AM
You typically know long in advance if you are going into a fight you need to use worts for.

SoN blocks Firefist and Grim Aura. Get a gob earring and Slot1 buff SoN, that way you can keep some of the benefit and the rest of your buffs if you get into a dispel fight.

Ripqozko
03-15-2024, 01:05 AM
iirc avatar and firefist dont stack yea? everyone and their mom has a primal now

Cecily
03-15-2024, 02:58 AM
iirc avatar and firefist dont stack yea? everyone and their mom has a primal now
They do. Firefist is the exact same buff as Grim Aura with a shorter duration. The buffs overwrite each other. SoN overwrites and blocks both. Avatar stacks with all.

Snaggles
03-15-2024, 10:50 AM
Boon, wolf form, and Avatar have stacking issues due to attack being the same buff line.