PDA

View Full Version : Donation Status

Rogean
03-13-2010, 04:12 PM
Greetings,

Currently, we are doing decent with donations. We thank all the people who have donated very much, as this keeps the server going.

However many of you have noticed a lot of recent lag spikes at random times during the day. These are not DDoS Attacks, merely our current data center and it's upstream providers having issues. Taking this into consideration, as well as our growing population, which as we suspect will continue to grow for multiple reasons (such as news websites picking up on the hype), and to prepare for a population surge I'm sure will come with Kunark many months down the road, we have decided to act now to improve this situation. Currently we have two servers, one colocated and one rented, in the same data center, with a private link for internal communications. We are initializing a project to stop the lease on the rented server and build another colocated server (The first colo server was built and mostly funded by myself and used partially for the running of this website, eqemulator, and the loginserver). Both colocated servers will then be moved into an already chosen data center with much better connectivity and reviews, into their own lan configuration.

We have a good leg up on donations to begin this project but we still need some more to complete it. This is not a desperate request to fund the server, and we are not in a rough situation that requires this to continue operations, however we do request that anyone enjoying this server consider contributing what they are able to to help the future of the server.

Donation incentives are forthcoming, and those who have already donated will receive them as well. We are still deciding on what to award donations with, but rest assured we will not be awarding ingame items or game changing / advantage-giving rewards.

Thanks.

Crone
03-13-2010, 05:25 PM
And here I was about to donate $5k for a Guise mask. Shucks. ;)

I appreciate all you do and will be donating to the project very soon.

Zexa
03-13-2010, 06:17 PM
Donation incentives are forthcoming

Scared me...

but rest assured we do will not be awarding ingame items or game changing / advantage-giving rewards.

Comforted me.

I like these updates on how things are going. I like that they are going well even more.

Jify
03-13-2010, 06:46 PM
Soon as my student budget can afford it I'll be donating another $200. Thanks for the great server thus far folks. :)

Secrets
03-13-2010, 11:27 PM
http://i39.tinypic.com/2yl040x.jpg

Crone
03-14-2010, 02:17 AM
So perfect! haha!

Striiker
03-14-2010, 11:29 AM
Thank you for the great server! I have and intend to continue donating $15.00 monthly at a minimum. Two other family members are planning on joining me and I intend to donate the same amount for each of them monthly. I believe it's a great idea to post periodic reminders to the players as you did in order to keep the donation flow going and thus keep the servers healthy.
Keep up the great work on the server! I love it and plan to call it my home for years to come!

Kluren
03-14-2010, 08:20 PM
$20.00 headed your way. I so greatly appreciate all you do. Thank you.

flednat
03-14-2010, 08:26 PM
NM I am blind, Donation inc.

Deanob
03-15-2010, 02:13 AM
Donation inc

drplump
03-15-2010, 04:51 AM
The first thing that should be added for donating members is a sub-forum or command in game to petition into a special queue that has higher priority. I do not think anyone on the server can really have a problem with this. There is a ton of things like this that don't effect the game per say but have an impact on peoples enjoyment of it.

Brad_mo123
03-15-2010, 05:57 AM
Greetings,

Currently, we are doing decent with donations. We thank all the people who have donated very much, as this keeps the server going.

However many of you have noticed a lot of recent lag spikes at random times during the day. These are not DDoS Attacks, merely our current data center and it's upstream providers having issues. Taking this into consideration, as well as our growing population, which as we suspect will continue to grow for multiple reasons (such as news websites picking up on the hype), and to prepare for a population surge I'm sure will come with Kunark many months down the road, we have decided to act now to improve this situation. Currently we have two servers, one colocated and one rented, in the same data center, with a private link for internal communications. We are initializing a project to stop the lease on the rented server and build another colocated server (The first colo server was built and mostly funded by myself and used partially for the running of this website, eqemulator, and the loginserver). Both colocated servers will then be moved into an already chosen data center with much better connectivity and reviews, into their own lan configuration.

We have a good leg up on donations to begin this project but we still need some more to complete it. This is not a desperate request to fund the server, and we are not in a rough situation that requires this to continue operations, however we do request that anyone enjoying this server consider contributing what they are able to to help the future of the server.

Donation incentives are forthcoming, and those who have already donated will receive them as well. We are still deciding on what to award donations with, but rest assured we will not be awarding ingame items or game changing / advantage-giving rewards.

Thanks.

Only thing I could think of is have their ingame name if provided announced server wide, sort of a fame type deal and also posted on the forums but not all wish to be named though, I dont see what else there could be... maybe sign a deal with some company who will make Project 1999 T-shirts and mail them one after a donation of $10 or more :p.

Rumraz
03-15-2010, 06:42 AM
donated 15$ and intend to do so again over a period of time - i payed 30$ for station access and didn't have nearly this much fun!

bionicbadger
03-15-2010, 10:33 AM
sent $50. keep up the good work.

Tallenn
03-15-2010, 11:03 AM
After spending the entire weekend glued to my PC, I can no longer ignore my addiction. $20 coming your way!

If you're looking for ideas for incentives, I'd like to suggest something like special in-game and/or forum titles. Has absolutely no effect on gameplay, but still allows folks to stand out.

Trimm
03-15-2010, 01:23 PM
Donated the remainder of my paypal account, $96.36 headed your way.

Cribanox
03-15-2010, 01:33 PM
how about adding a title to your in game character? Or maybe some kind of particle effect weapon (like how epics has stuff coming out of the weps) but with no damage or delay

Liamney
03-15-2010, 02:33 PM
perhaps the ability to dye armour.

though this is an in-game thing, not really "game changing"

Titles would be interesting, they made old EverQuest interesting to see people with "The Blessed" or whatever. Again not really "game changing" but they are "in game"

bordbard
03-16-2010, 12:54 PM
I am expecting objections but I think a very small experience bonus for donators would be fair.

It wouldn't really affect anything except maybe shave off a couple of days worth of leveling in the long run.

Could limit it to certain underused classes? Could even limit it to the first 20 levels? or 10 levels?

The more I type and read what i've typed the more complicated to implement this sounds, lol.

ps. just donated $30

Brund the Decrepit
03-16-2010, 05:54 PM
Yep, sent a total of $150.00 from a Paypal account that has a different name when I first joined up a couple months ago.

Keep up the the great work and thanks for all the fun so far.

jilena
03-18-2010, 03:53 PM
Just curious, what sort of hardware is all of this running on? I *might* have a couple of servers lying around doing nothing if that would be helpful.

Rogean
03-18-2010, 08:40 PM
While we apreciate the offers for donated hardware, we will be purchasing the hardware so we can insure that there will be no problems with it. I might have considered it if the server was close to my house, but it's 5 hours away (and soon to be 12 hours away).

Arkanjil
03-19-2010, 03:16 PM
Been sending $15 a month since November....I'm renewing my contract and the money will keep rollin in! :p

cobra81
03-20-2010, 01:38 AM
I just sent a $100 donation, hope it helps

flednat
03-24-2010, 08:49 PM
How are you doing with donations for the server move? is there a plan/time frame that this might happen? Do you need more donations in order to make it happen sooner.

Amareck
03-29-2010, 08:21 PM
As per flednat's post! A few of us are very keen to see the hardware upgrade come in.

If its a dollar issue, I'd respectfully suggest that publishing a "required dollar amount to ugprade" may motivate/drive people to hit the target; especially if its only a smallish number that can be hit quickly. Certainly, I'd be happy to toss in a lump of coin for such a worthy undertaking :)

At any rate, many thanks for the server - its amazing, in every way. And thanks for the (sometimes thankless) work involved in making it happen.

scamp891
03-29-2010, 10:35 PM
Donated once, will do again once I straighten out my income taxes...LoL.

Rogean
03-30-2010, 10:33 AM
An update:

Just ordered our new server today. We were still $1500 short, so I'm making the difference up with my own money, as once things are set up and we're only paying the monthly data center fee, I'm hoping I can make most of that back over time.

Those of you who say donations go to our pocket.. as you can see it's quite the opposite :P

Server should take hopefully about a week to get here but I'll get a real eta later today, then depending when its delivered another 3 business days or so to get it into the data center. I might drive it there my self (14 hour one-way drive), but I'll decide that later.

Thanks for the donations everyone.

Trimm
03-30-2010, 10:48 AM
Awesome Rogean, that's great news. I knew you loved us all along.

Also, to anyone still bitching about customer service or the Dev team, read this again a few times:

We were still $1500 short, so I'm making the difference up with my own money

Zordana
03-30-2010, 01:39 PM
^ this, thanks rogean!

Lonedrahon25
03-31-2010, 01:20 PM
Thankyou Rogean for providing me with a new Sig.

Rania
04-01-2010, 12:37 AM
Thanks Rogeon and team, agree with Amarecks comments, information is awesomely motivational for people. And hopefully people can see this $1500 leaving your pocket and want to replenish that asap.

Every little bit counts people - get donating!

ecna1ab
04-01-2010, 07:02 PM
I think it would be a great benefit that if you donate a certain amount, you can have multiple accounts on the same ip.. it would have nothing to do with the "classic" theme as I used to rock 2 seperate computers just to have 2 accounts running.. until eqw came out. And if you donate a certain amount, you are basically paying for the bandwidth you are using.

Just a thought..

Rogean
04-01-2010, 09:53 PM
That would cause legality issues as it could be seen (and argued in court) that we were essentially charging for being able to play more than one char at a time.

ryuut1
04-01-2010, 10:52 PM
youre getting 5 bucks from the government out of my unemployment checks =P i'd donate more but im a slackass like that.

but this shit's awesome, you should get medals.

Phineas
04-04-2010, 12:56 AM
Donation sent. Thanks and keep up the great work!

~phineas

eldub
04-06-2010, 12:33 AM
Donation sent, thanks guys!

Forelis
04-06-2010, 09:14 PM
Really appreciate the effort you guys put into this game. Donation sent.

Shrubwise
04-06-2010, 09:53 PM
$50 sent. Thanks for your diligence!!

choklo
04-07-2010, 12:17 AM
$25 sent tonight. Will donate to help keep the server up as needed.

Swindle
04-08-2010, 11:48 PM
I threw in a $100.00 tonight. I need my EQ fix!

Olorin
04-09-2010, 03:14 PM
An update:

Just ordered our new server today. We were still $1500 short, so I'm making the difference up with my own money, as once things are set up and we're only paying the monthly data center fee, I'm hoping I can make most of that back over time.

Those of you who say donations go to our pocket.. as you can see it's quite the opposite :P

Server should take hopefully about a week to get here but I'll get a real eta later today, then depending when its delivered another 3 business days or so to get it into the data center. I might drive it there my self (14 hour one-way drive), but I'll decide that later.

Thanks for the donations everyone.

This mean the server has actually been delivered?

If i don't play soon i will need a intervention!

atvaata
04-09-2010, 03:24 PM
This mean the server has actually been delivered?

If i don't play soon i will need a intervention!

^ me too. Im wondering if sacrificing one of my dad's cows to the eq gods would help.

Tudana
04-09-2010, 03:36 PM
donation sent in

good luck on a speedy recovery

Budah
04-09-2010, 11:58 PM
got tax return - pay $20 game donation (more to come monthly =P)

Shrubwise
04-17-2010, 01:28 PM
Hope all those that pledged $100 are still good for their word, now that the server is up!

aegohely
04-19-2010, 01:29 AM
Doantion sent. Thanks for the effort to keep the server up with the DDOS attack shit..

Good job done

Zephys
04-19-2010, 11:19 AM
Jesus with all these people tossing money into the pot by the hundreds we ought to be alright for awhile.

Rogean
04-19-2010, 12:14 PM
Jesus with all these people tossing money into the pot by the hundreds we ought to be alright for awhile.

New Server + Significant increase in hosting cost to combat DDoS = Large monthly payments ;P

We're not dire at the moment but everything can be pooled to help in the long term.

scamp891
04-20-2010, 03:05 AM
Sent $25, us old retired guys have to watch our pennies...

Tyym
05-09-2010, 10:21 PM
Donation in. More forthcoming as income permits. Thanks you guys for the awesome job.

Yellow
05-10-2010, 01:35 PM
i am pleased people are donating.

Extunarian
05-17-2010, 01:51 PM
I found out about this on Friday and got to log a good 6 hours of classic EQ glory over the weekend (a great break from a roofing project I was working on!)

Anyway I threw in $10 for now but I'd like to keep donating as long as I am using the server. Is there a way to set up a monthly automated donation? I was able to set one up for another site that I donate to via paypal.

P.S. - my 'main' is Jorg the barb shaman and I'll be bustin' heads in blackburrow for the next week or so as I move up the single digit levels...shoot me a tell for some lowbie fun!

Fippy
05-17-2010, 07:54 PM
Threw in $100. Love the server and want to support it.

EQvet
05-25-2010, 04:48 PM
Up and running and everything is great! Just donated! Keep up the good work :)

EQvet
07-01-2010, 03:41 PM
Will donate again next paycheck. Thx for the fun! :)

Dantes
07-01-2010, 03:49 PM
Thanks for all the hard work guys! I just donated and hope to make it part of a monthly routine after payday.

OngorDrakan
07-07-2010, 11:27 AM
Donated - Lovin' it.:cool:

mgellan
07-07-2010, 02:39 PM
Donated my monthly $20 last week and bugged Nilbog to enable repeating donations in Paypal so I don't have to remember :)

Regards,
Mg

ernesto
07-30-2010, 01:29 AM
errr, i have not many dollars, but if u need, i can donation $10.00 per month, and Rogean, wat reward i can get, if i do? Hope it is a item can change my character into a skeleton....

Walabaego
07-30-2010, 04:17 AM
In about a week i'll be sending 100$, thanks for all the hard work you guys do :)

acrisius
08-02-2010, 12:43 PM
Got talked into getting my Eq fix here since I left live early this year. So far so good, you guys do some nice work. I like the nostalgic feel and the difficulty level. Brings me right back.

Will make a decent donation towards the end of the week.

-Mognar newb clr

Dunes
08-05-2010, 06:04 PM
Having seen what P99 is all about (great work guys), I would like to set up a monthly donation. There might be a way for me to do this at the bank level (think: Bill Pay), but it would be far easier if there were a way to do it via PayPal. Although I am still staggered by student debt (thanks Baylor!), this is without a doubt a worthy investment of some hard-earned funds!

Any suggestions on the easiest way to "set it and forget it"?:confused:

Lelroni
08-06-2010, 09:45 AM
Plan on donating 10 or 15$ right now, and hopefully get something setup to automatically take out 5-10$ every month. Not much, but I suppose better than nothing at all.

Extunarian
08-06-2010, 10:01 AM
I 2nd the monthly auto-donation. I a member of another website that takes donations through paypal, and paypal itself runs the automatic 'draft' of the donation.

More info here:
https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=developer/e_howto_html_subscribe_buttons#id08ADF00J0Y4

mgellan
08-06-2010, 10:17 AM
/agree!

xorbier
08-06-2010, 10:27 AM
Donated. Thanks for the hard work!

Keerarae
08-26-2010, 08:55 AM
200$ donated today. Long live classic EQ.

OngorDrakan
08-26-2010, 10:36 AM
Will toss another $5 today to you guys. Love the server, finally got my guild to play and they're having a great time. I'll try to get them to donate to it as well. Much appreciated!

koren
08-26-2010, 03:46 PM
/donated

Keep up the great work admin and dev team!

Airdefier
08-29-2010, 11:16 PM
Donated! Thank you for this server! keep it Legit!

Puyen
09-17-2010, 01:55 PM
Donated as well, hope to see this server live forever

Vadeem
09-29-2010, 11:25 AM
Waiting for Titanium to arrive. Assuming I am able to log on I plan to donate (larger initial and then monthly as long as I play). Great idea!

Zestey
09-30-2010, 07:36 AM
Waiting for Titanium to arrive. Assuming I am able to log on I plan to donate (larger initial and then monthly as long as I play). Great idea!

Arrive?

You bought it?

Tokum-6n0m3
09-30-2010, 07:39 AM
Arrive?

You bought it?

Seems alot of people do this, I know people are leary about any type of piracy but cmon guys.....your playing a emu.....just torrent it :x

Omnimorph
09-30-2010, 08:10 AM
Seems alot of people do this, I know people are leary about any type of piracy but cmon guys.....your playing a emu.....just torrent it :x

Well no, the majority of us played eq on live (for longer than we should have) so we technically own the titanium game. Therefore downloading the torrent as a backup is perfectly legal. More convenient than me digging through all my CDs in the cupboard too.

Tokum-6n0m3
09-30-2010, 08:47 AM
I played from 99-GoD on live, and technically doesn't count lol. However I do agree. Especially with how Sony does there live content Downloads now it's highly unlikely they'd ever get uppity about the torrent..

As far as I know tho other games like WoW still try as hard as possible to avoid full game downloads cause they count on people losing/damaging cd's...tho now that WoW has been out for awhile they might offer it now too, been awhile :x

Drah
09-30-2010, 11:00 AM
Donated again. Thank you.

BeepBeep
09-30-2010, 04:42 PM
Incentive 1: Free Date with Rogean IMO

hablabba
10-12-2010, 01:42 PM
How bout a push through the IP exemption queue for legitimate requests? (not for one person playing 2 accounts as previously mentioned)

I've heard it takes awhile to get this setup, maybe a donation could speed things along so I don't have to try to leech off my neighbor so I can play with the gf :D

...Anyways I will be donating regardless, just thought I'd throw this out there for future newcomers who would love to play with their signif. other or friend "on demand"

Thanks for the awesome server, donation inc!

Walth
10-13-2010, 11:29 AM
Sent in some om nom nom for the server sustainability fund.

Thanks guys.

sgallaty
10-18-2010, 04:24 PM
http://i39.tinypic.com/2yl040x.jpg

My thoughts, exactly.

kenyana
11-09-2010, 06:28 PM
Awwww "and to prepare for a population surge I'm sure will come with Kunark many months down the road"

Alkorin
11-13-2010, 09:52 PM
Donated. Great job so far, keep it up!

Puyen
11-14-2010, 06:07 PM
Times are hard and being the only income in my house it's tough to donate. Hopefully the next few extra bucks I get can go to the server