PDA

View Full Version : SSF Warrior

eqravenprince
11-27-2023, 11:17 AM
I have played a SSF Dark Elf Rogue to 45 and feel like doing something different now. So going to give Warrior a try, much like a previous poster, I will play whatever wins the poll and try to update now and again here with progress. I feel like all races offer advantages and disadvantages. Some will pick based on it being easier, some will pick based on it being harder.

DeathsSilkyMist
11-27-2023, 11:34 AM
I vote gnome. It's probably a great feeling to be able to craft your own clockwork arms.

Toxigen
11-27-2023, 02:23 PM
gnome for sure

Crede
11-27-2023, 02:30 PM
I have played a SSF Dark Elf Rogue to 45 and feel like doing something different now. So going to give Warrior a try, much like a previous poster, I will play whatever wins the poll and try to update now and again here with progress. I feel like all races offer advantages and disadvantages. Some will pick based on it being easier, some will pick based on it being harder.

That other guy wanted a challenge. Human kinda won out for biggest challenge because of night blindness and no racials.

What experience are you looking for more specifically?

Ripqozko
11-27-2023, 02:45 PM
finish the first one then do warrior

eqravenprince
11-27-2023, 05:35 PM
finish the first one then do warrior

For all intents and purposes I am finished (at least the SSF route). The writing is on the wall right now. I am killing a single level 35 mob every 16 min where I sometimes die or have to flee. I'm using Spine Break poison every fight and sometimes twice a fight which costs me 5-10pp a fight. Unless someone has a better mob for me to fight at level 45, I am finished. I just don't have the patience to only kill a mob 3 times an hour while losing at least 15-30pp. The other route I've tried is Level 30 mobs which still give exp, but it takes killing 7 to get 1% exp at level 45. I can keep up with 2 every 6 min 40 sec, so that's 2.4% exp per hour or 41 hours to level. Feel free to offer advice on what I could upgrade or a mob I could fight.

Finishing gear on my level 45 rogue
Primary - Jambiya
Secondary - Iksar Berserker Club
Earring - 2 x Sarnak Earring of Station
Ring - 2 x Scarab Ring
Neck - Spiked Collar, Collar of Undead Protection, Black Alloy Medallion
Face - Grotesque Alloy Mask
Head - Blackened Alloy Coif
Shoulders - Blackened Alloy Armplates, Rusty Spiked Shoulderpads
Chest - Blackened Alloy Mail
Feet - Blackened Alloy Boots, Traveler Boots
Legs - Blackened Alloy Legplates
Wrist - Blackened Alloy Bracers, Hero Bracers, Bracer of the Hidden
Hands - Sporali Gloves
Back - Supple Black Cloak
Waist - Blackened Alloy Waistband

eqravenprince
11-27-2023, 05:57 PM
That other guy wanted a challenge. Human kinda won out for biggest challenge because of night blindness and no racials.

What experience are you looking for more specifically?

I would say challenge. All races have pros and cons though. It just personal preference as to what people think is a higher challenge. Some people hate Ogres cause of the starting area, I find The Ferrott to be the best newbie zone and a huge stat advantage. Ogres mainly suck cause of their size, it is quite annoying ducking through doors, plus their exp penalty. Any good aligned race has it pretty easy early cause of turn in quests whether it be CB belts, DF belts, or Gnoll Teeth, but less stats in general and no exp penalty unless you count the 5% of barbs. Night blindness can be problematic at times, but I spend a great majority of my time on static mobs which renders night blindness not really a con to me.

Crede
11-27-2023, 07:06 PM
I would say challenge. All races have pros and cons though. It just personal preference as to what people think is a higher challenge. Some people hate Ogres cause of the starting area, I find The Ferrott to be the best newbie zone and a huge stat advantage. Ogres mainly suck cause of their size, it is quite annoying ducking through doors, plus their exp penalty. Any good aligned race has it pretty easy early cause of turn in quests whether it be CB belts, DF belts, or Gnoll Teeth, but less stats in general and no exp penalty unless you count the 5% of barbs. Night blindness can be problematic at times, but I spend a great majority of my time on static mobs which renders night blindness not really a con to me.

I’d again still recommend human. But go innoruuk to be more hated in certain places. Night blindness, mediocre stats, low agi, no racials besides maybe armor to have. But you get to have an eyepatch which is peak fashion.

Gl!

Zuranthium
11-30-2023, 06:54 AM
Barbarian. I know the experience won't be the same as it was in 1999, but adventuring in Everfrost was awesome. You have the night blindness challenge but also get Slam and good starting stats, without being a bulky/ugly Ogre or Troll. Maximum fun.

eqravenprince
12-07-2023, 12:15 PM
Thanks all for the votes and input. I started up a Human Warrior Innoruuk a week ago. Currently level 16, full leather, 2 x limestone ring, 2 x alligator tooth earring, 2 giant snake fangs. Smooth sailing so far, travel is actually easier being human who worships innorruk. Night blindness is a non issue for the most part. Human allows me to do several easy turn in quests for exp and money. Currently killing dervs in southern ro and orcs to farm up some money to make banded while still getting exp.

Levels 1-8 - East Freeport/Northern Ro
Level 9-15 - Blackburrow/Qeynos Hills/Qeynos Aquaducts
Level 16 - Southern ro

Seducio
12-08-2023, 06:52 PM
How's leveling been on your Human Warrior compared to the lev 45 rogue you had going earlier in the thread, eqravenprince?

eqravenprince
12-08-2023, 09:53 PM
How's leveling been on your Human Warrior compared to the lev 45 rogue you had going earlier in the thread, eqravenprince?

It’s been slightly easier, more HP and higher strength. I think at a certain point Warrior may get harder than Rogue especially lacking the 50% slow poison. I wonder how much higher AC and HP will make up for the lack of poison.

Crede
12-08-2023, 11:04 PM
Can you get one ssf exception and give yourself a truncheon of doom? lol

Snaggles
12-09-2023, 11:11 AM
I think in the spirit of SSF picking the race should be part of the process.

7thGate
12-09-2023, 04:54 PM
For all intents and purposes I am finished (at least the SSF route). The writing is on the wall right now. I am killing a single level 35 mob every 16 min where I sometimes die or have to flee. I'm using Spine Break poison every fight and sometimes twice a fight which costs me 5-10pp a fight. Unless someone has a better mob for me to fight at level 45, I am finished. I just don't have the patience to only kill a mob 3 times an hour while losing at least 15-30pp. The other route I've tried is Level 30 mobs which still give exp, but it takes killing 7 to get 1% exp at level 45. I can keep up with 2 every 6 min 40 sec, so that's 2.4% exp per hour or 41 hours to level. Feel free to offer advice on what I could upgrade or a mob I could fight.

Primary - Jambiya
Ring - 2 x Scarab Ring
Hands - Sporali Gloves

The big boost would be if you can kill the shardwing courier, which would allow you to turn in for a frozen shard. You would have to bow kite him however, and I'm not sure if you can do that with just travelers boots without being able to snare. Once you're high enough to land snare poison on him you should definitely be able to do it, however.

As for an exp mob, I would look at doing the giants in the great divide. You pull them over to the coldain and run them into one dwarf at a time until very low on life, then bow kite to death. A bit tedious, but solid blue kills.

caveslug
12-10-2023, 09:53 PM

That's what killed my SSF, I was lvl 22ish. And I could see this isn't hard, it's just massively time consuming more then anything. And knowing that higher levels would be even worse, and the thought of the 50's. I understand the enjoyment some get out of it, but I could be using that time for other things.

eqravenprince
12-15-2023, 01:09 PM
Got Blacksmithing up to 115, got a few pieces of banded. Shouldn't take long to finish up banded set. Bought a Combine Scimitar in southern ro and looted a Gnoll Hide Lariat for magic weapons. Shortly after my first magic weapon, I got a Greater Lightstone. Moving along nicely. Stretch from 20-43 is pretty straight forward and relatively easy. 44 it becomes a challenge again and more or less where I hit the wall with my Rogue.

Level 16-17 in Befallen/Southern Ro
Level 18-19 in Blackburrow
Level 20 in Permafrost

Crede
12-15-2023, 05:12 PM

Primary - Jambiya
Ring - 2 x Scarab Ring
Hands - Sporali Gloves

You could prob do sola gnomes until 47/48ish on your rogue. A lot will green out, but you have the zem to help offset that. From there I would do bloodgills in LOIO. They hit hard but have super low hp, and you occasionally get the harpoon of the deaths to sell. I'd save the poison for the lvl 38/39 ones(youll know this when you get a 96 hit). This will take you to like 52ish.

eqravenprince
12-22-2023, 10:46 AM
Quick update on progress, almost level 24 now. Happy Holidays to everyone, see you guys in game!

Level 16-17 - Befallen/Southern Ro
Level 18-19 - Blackburrow
Level 20 - Permafrost
Level 21-22 - Gorge of King Xorbb
Level 23-24 - Erud's Crossing

bcbrown
12-26-2023, 04:28 PM

Thanks for the King Xorbb reminder, I've never been there so I took my level 20 SK and it's been pretty great. I'm curious, though, how you went about hunting in there? I was afraid of getting adds (especially the evil eyes), so I hung out by the entrance to EK and sniped pathers as they crossed by. But they weren't as frequent as I would have liked.

eqravenprince
12-26-2023, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the King Xorbb reminder, I've never been there so I took my level 20 SK and it's been pretty great. I'm curious, though, how you went about hunting in there? I was afraid of getting adds (especially the evil eyes), so I hung out by the entrance to EK and sniped pathers as they crossed by. But they weren't as frequent as I would have liked.

There's a 2 spawn of Gorge Minos near opening to 1 on the map. Only 1 elder that paths through the small path to 1 on the map that you'll have to deal with. Other than that, near the EK zone like you did, there is a level 18-19 chasm mino that spawns there every 5 minutes which is pretty good. Near runnyeye, it has a single gorge mino that spawns every 5 minutes.

bcbrown
12-27-2023, 02:34 AM
There's a 2 spawn of Gorge Minos near opening to 1 on the map.

Thank you, this is exactly the information I was hoping for.

eqravenprince
12-28-2023, 12:17 PM
Currently level 28, moving along nicely. Just in banded primarily and bone bladed claymore. I suspect I can stick around in najena til I hit 31.

Level 20 - Permafrost
Level 25-26 - Gorge of King Xorbb/East Karana
Level 27-28 - Najena

eqravenprince
01-04-2024, 12:24 PM
Made level 32, holiday exp bonus was nice. Got a couple pieces of crafted now and blackened alloy bastard sword. Millers/Guards in Qeynos Hills will take me to 36. Then onto guards in West Karana to 43.

Level 20 - Permafrost
Level 25-26 - Gorge of King Xorbb/East Karana
Level 27-30 - Najena
Level 31-32 - Qeynos Hills

Toxigen
01-04-2024, 12:48 PM
i respect this but it still sounds horrible

eqravenprince
01-04-2024, 01:06 PM
i respect this but it still sounds horrible

Thanks, it's not bad at all. The good news is that once I get as far as I want to go with this warrior, I will be moving onto the 3rd hardest to solo self found class as I will have already done Rogue (1st) and Warrior (2nd). I'll have to put that up to a vote as to what the community thinks 3rd most challenging SSF class would be.

Bobjenson
01-04-2024, 01:26 PM
3rd is easy, take out spell casters/ monk / bard and you're left with Paladin, Ranger or SK. Ranger probably the hardest.

Toxigen
01-04-2024, 02:35 PM
3rd is easy, take out spell casters/ monk / bard and you're left with Paladin, Ranger or SK. Ranger probably the hardest.

qft

Troxx
01-05-2024, 02:37 PM

I agree with most all of this but I’ll be honest I don’t think ranger will be the most difficult of these 3 unless you are going to limit yourself to indoor zones. For anything outdoors, harmony and sow are just heavenly.

-If you can snare it, you can kill it.
-If you’re outside, you can single pull it.
-If it’s an animal (there are plenty of options until after 40), it’s cheese easy
-if you get in trouble, you can reliably make an escape

Outdoors, Ranger is probably going to be the easiest of the 3.

Ranger >=sk > pal

Indoors, Ranger is going to struggle.

Sk > pal > Ranger

Toxigen
01-05-2024, 04:11 PM
i mean its SSF so if you're planning on camping any items at all ranger prob isn't gonna do it as well

DeathsSilkyMist
01-05-2024, 04:18 PM
i mean its SSF so if you're planning on camping any items at all ranger prob isn't gonna do it as well

Rangers can camp some good SSF items like Swarmcaller, Hangman's Noose, and Ceremonial Iksar Chestplate in their 50s. All of those are found in outdoor zones, and track is obviously great for TT Forager Cycle. But yeah they are going to have problems with any items that drop in a dungeon.

Jimjam
01-05-2024, 04:30 PM
Rangers can camp some good SSF items like Swarmcaller, Hangman's Noose, and Ceremonial Iksar Chestplate in their 50s. All of those are found in outdoor zones, and track is obviously great for TT Forager Cycle. But yeah they are going to have problems with any items that drop in a dungeon.

A swarmcaller ranger could certainly break onto and take down the frenzied velium stalker/broodling and crystal eyes.

DeathsSilkyMist
01-05-2024, 04:46 PM
A swarmcaller ranger could certainly break onto and take down the frenzied velium stalker/broodling and crystal eyes.

Oh sure. By the time a Ranger can self farm a Swarmcaller, they are basically in their mid to high 50s. You can farm some dungeon stuff with any hybrid just by outleveling it at that point.

But a Ranger isn't going to be able to farm dungeon items as well when the dungeon is level appropriate for the most part. No Harmony, no refreshing SoW without running out, and not a lot of animals to lull when breaking camps or getting around see invis mobs.

I am not trying to suggest Velks isn't level appropriate for mid to high 50s, I am just saying camping frenzied velium stalker/broodling and crystal eyes is basically "endgame farming" for an SSF ranger.

SK/Paladin should be able to kill Frenzied Ghoul when they get to mid/high 50's for their 20% haste item. Haven't tried using my SK in Velks too much. The mobs are fearable, but pathing is trash in the vertical ramps where frenzied velium stalker/broodling and crystal eye spawn. You might need to train the named down to the ent so you can fear kite, assuming there is no group in the way hehe.

Jimjam
01-05-2024, 05:06 PM
Ranger does fine in velks. Roots, snares, sneak… and you of all posters know cycling camp goes a long way.

Troxx
01-05-2024, 05:10 PM

This is true for sure, especially if hunting level appropriate content. An alternative approach is to simply “get by” with sub-par gear (even for a SSF toon) and intentionally level up higher to then go back and hunt/farm.

Player crafted bows and arrows will go a long way towards Ranger viability - and all of these are doable with plat drops off of mobs and a bit of sweat-work with a fletching kit.

DeathsSilkyMist
01-05-2024, 05:13 PM
Ranger does fine in velks. Roots, snares, sneak… and you of all posters know cycling camp goes a long way.

I didn't say Rangers do poorly in Velks. I have seen quite a few at frenzied velium stalker/broodling and crystal eyes.

I said that the ability for a Ranger to camp Velks hinges on basically being in the endgame for SSF after they have already farmed a number of good items, like Swarmcaller and Ceremonial Iksar Chestplate.

At level 60 with decent gear, a Ranger can indeed do fine in some dungeons, especially if they are overleveled for the content. The same is true for other classes. But Paladin/SK will be able to farm dungeon items before a Ranger can. Rangers are overall weaker at dungeon diving, which will affect your ability to farm some items when the dungeon is level appropriate. It will also affect your ability to farm some items even when you are 60, because you cannot use Harmony in dungeons, Animal Lull is highly restricted in dungeons since animals aren't too common in dungeons, and invis alone doesn't work everywhere.

Troxx
01-05-2024, 08:22 PM
Rangers are overall weaker at dungeon diving, which will affect your ability to farm some items when the dungeon is level appropriate. It will also affect your ability to farm some items even when you are 60, because you cannot use Harmony in dungeons, Animal Lull is highly restricted in dungeons since animals aren't too common in dungeons, and invis alone doesn't work everywhere.

This is absolutely true. I would wager a high level Knight could function in Seb with a lot of caution/care. With ONLY solo, self found gear I'm not confident a level 60 knight could handle named mobs for the drops to equip - but they can likely get by hunting. A ranger with only solo, self found gear likely won't have much if any success in a dungeon like Seb.

So I guess it depends how far you want to take a SSF character.

The ceiling for what is possible will be better for either knight.

The ease of the road up until the high end for SSF I'd argue is easier for the ranger. Their spell toolkit just comes with a lot more creature comforts, especially hunting outside. As previously mentioned, player crafted bows will be very powerful and competitive relative to the true solo self-found weapon options either knight will have access to. Probably better ... and the beauty of them is they don't require anything other than coin drops and sell-ables off standard mobs and the time/patience to sit down and work the fletching.

Naethyn
01-06-2024, 04:03 PM
Opmeter solos seb like a boss.

Toxigen
01-06-2024, 07:09 PM
Opmeter solos seb like a boss.

seen sudz do the same right after he got his vulak axe

Jimjam
01-07-2024, 04:09 AM
Yeah just gotta SSF solo Vulak to unlock soloing Seb.

DeathsSilkyMist
01-07-2024, 02:43 PM
Yeah just gotta SSF solo Vulak to unlock soloing Seb.

You can fear kite in Seb, so you don't need Vulaxe to do it. But SSF means you are killing slower and spending more time recovering. This means you are more likely to get respawns when you don't want them.