PDA

View Full Version : PC Hard Crash after roughly 5 minutes of gameplay.

SnowFoxKai
10-17-2023, 03:36 AM
The computer in question is my father's.

'Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti' graphics card
'AMD Ryzen 3 1200 Quad-core' CPU processor.

Logging into the game works perfectly fine and will run without any trouble (No lag and no loading trouble), but eventually the computer will hard-crash (black screen before re-starting to PC login) without warning.
Playing other games (Subnautica and Factorio) work perfectly fine without any such problems, and it can run the 'Wayfarer's Haven' EQ server without this issue.

I have also tried running it as Admin, as well as through compatibility modes with no success.

I don't think it's an issue ISP wise, as both his and my own PC connect through the same router, and my computer doesn't suffer the same issues. (Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 / Intel Core i7-6700HQ @ 2.60GHz).

I've thought of trying to see if setting up 'DgVooDoo2' or 'WinEQ2' would fix anything, but asking here first to see if there's a more clear fix than trying those as a work-around.

mcoy
10-17-2023, 12:07 PM
I really want to help, because the Factory must grow...

If it's hard resetting, I'd suspect a grounding/shorting issue - but the system is fine with other games and other eq servers... Does your dad's pc have any different A/V or missing exclusions that are present on your system? I'm grasping at straws but the only difference in your provided info would be the p99 dll's.

As far as dgvoodoo2 - it's just a set of files you put in your eq directory. Easy enough to undo, and if you don't edit the ini you'll see the watermark to know it's working.

-Mcoy

SnowFoxKai
10-18-2023, 08:17 AM
I really want to help, because the Factory must grow...

If it's hard resetting, I'd suspect a grounding/shorting issue - but the system is fine with other games and other eq servers... Does your dad's pc have any different A/V or missing exclusions that are present on your system? I'm grasping at straws but the only difference in your provided info would be the p99 dll's.

As far as dgvoodoo2 - it's just a set of files you put in your eq directory. Easy enough to undo, and if you don't edit the ini you'll see the watermark to know it's working.

-Mcoy

Did a bit of extra testing and noticed a few things.
Green Server:
Made an Ogre SK on my dad's account + PC, double-checked that it was set to 60fps, and it ran perfectly fine for 20 mins until I logged out to the character select screen to swap.
Logged back to his Iksar Necromancer (crashing problem, Field of Bone) and ran around at 60fps, and this time lasted around 9 minutes before the computer hard-reset again.

Nothing has been added/changed from the initial install/patch files, but I will be double-checking the dll's next chance I have to run tests.

mcoy
10-19-2023, 08:09 AM
Is it limited to Field of Bone? Isn't there a firepot there? There's a known issue where some vid cards crash near firepots - but I don't think I've seen mention of it hard resetting - just crashing the client / freezing.

-Mcoy

SnowFoxKai
10-20-2023, 12:31 PM
Is it limited to Field of Bone? Isn't there a firepot there? There's a known issue where some vid cards crash near firepots - but I don't think I've seen mention of it hard resetting - just crashing the client / freezing.

-Mcoy

As far as I can tell yes. He's going to try playing something other then the Iksar for a bit and see how it goes.

SnowFoxKai
10-21-2023, 06:40 AM
So weird realization. Re-installed game to make sure everything was in the correct place (since he installed to Programs so, that fixed some issues), and played in FoB with his Iksar without any issues for a while, swapped over to a newly made Halfling Dru for a while also with no problems, closed out of the game to play some other games which for them also had no problems.

Then he returned to the Iksar and for whatever reason now the game didn't even last 30 seconds before crashing.