PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon Crawler Tank

sammoHung
10-05-2023, 02:29 AM
Paladin obvious choice right? I was thinking of rolling a very casual alt to play a few hours per week, like 2 sessions of 2 hours each. I want to dungeon dive with this toon, and don't really want to play a caster. I was thinking Paladin is best choice for this, so I can solo / and be the tank for the times when I can muster up a group.

SK isn't better than Paladin at this, right? And for Paladin, is the STR dwarf better for solo than the CHA High elf? What do yall think?

Jimjam
10-05-2023, 02:37 AM
Will you be twinking?

Toxigen
10-05-2023, 08:04 AM
Human paladin max CHA at creation. (see sig)

But good luck if you aren't gonna have a fungi + narandi crown + big boy haste + endless supply of Kilva's

Crede
10-05-2023, 08:58 AM
Dwarf pal, but put points into cha for less gear swaps needed. At a certain point I think sks pull ahead but that takes a lot more gear pally will generally have more options as you level.

Troxx
10-05-2023, 02:18 PM
I would vote paladin. SK would get by just fine but their biggest solo strength over paladin (fear kiting) will likely be irrelevant if your goal is indoor dungeon crawling due to space constraints. Invis for quality of life and FD are definite perks, but not “perky” enough in my book if dungeon crawling is gonna be your jam.

Lull, root, self heals/buffs … the list favoring paladins over the other 2 tanks in this regard is long. Sk’s can heal through taps but the fact that paladins can heal themselves out of combat between fights is big.

Played well and with good fortune (and a set of charisma crap to swap in) and you should never need to engage more than 1 mob at a time. If you accidentally get 2, can always root one while you finish the other or root em all and camp/relog.

Paladins are fun.

Either knight will work fine.

Warrior is not an option unless heroically twinked carrying potions and hunting near the zone line (ie not crawling). Even then, the ability to do so will fall off hard once you reach the middling to mid-high levels.

Toxigen
10-05-2023, 02:25 PM
Warrior gets marginally better at 50 w/ truncheon but its still a terrible slog.

Paladood is the way.

Troxx
10-05-2023, 02:37 PM
Even with Truncheon I would be leary of doing any actual dungeon crawling at those levels. Having a fungi and/or velious clicky bp certainly helps. Toe to toe should be able to take singles or maybe easy doubles with full health but …

1) runners (relying on snare proc)
2) adds
3) relying on trunch proc
4) multiple mob rooms

Dungeon crawling a warrior is a masochistic endeavor :p

I solo’d quite a lot on my warrior all the way up to and including 60 but the higher I got the more I had to be extremely selective with my zones and location within zones … always having a zone line within reach to bail to as needed.

When I think dungeon crawling I think actually diving deep though. Once you hit the 40s, those indoor dungeons get a lot less forgiving for a class that has no cc, no ability to “pause” the fight (root etc), no effective way of splitting clumps of mobs, and fairly limited self-health recovery.

I carried a fungi on my warrior until getting my clicky velious heal bp and giving my fungi back to my monk … before later selling it to finance something along the way. I wear a Vindi bp now but still carry my thurg bp around for self healing.

Toxigen
10-05-2023, 03:12 PM
Monk isn't too bad for solo as well. Not sure if that was on OP's radar or not. Far more effective on a budget than paladin (narandi crown is expensive for some and that is pretty much a must-have). IFS + Fungi + Seahorse + HP and good to go. Epic MQ later if you wanna get saucy.

I enjoyed doing mine, LDCs are the ole reliable XP 55-60.

Troxx
10-05-2023, 03:37 PM
Yeah a monk (especially with fungi and all the toys) makes for an excellent dungeon crawler. The ability to FD and mend (but mostly FD), superior avoidance, and dramatically superior dps more than makes up for the lack of a spell book and the utility that goes with it.

Depending on the camp or circumstances, a comparably geared paladin will have an easier go of it … mostly thanks to root and lull.

Jimjam
10-05-2023, 04:08 PM
Paladin feels best, but monk is very good at the soloing side since it has such easily available clicky haste / killer weapons. Warrior gets marginally better at 50 w/ truncheon but its still a terrible slog.

Paladood is the way.

Truncheon and Runed Blade are a good combo to attrition stuff down. Especially if you can pop evasive or chug a few heal pots.

I found the combo is enough to solo Knight of Sathir in just planar gear!

I have a pipe dream to replace the runed blade with a sword of rile but it is very rare I log in to raid.

DeathsSilkyMist
10-05-2023, 09:31 PM
If you are playing short sessions SK may be better if your goals are deep within a dungeon. Having to lull past every mob and root camp mobs is a slow process. It can be faster to flop down. You just need to learn how to fear kite in close quarters. You can fear kite in a lot of dugeon areas, so don't listen to people who say you can't.

Troxx
10-05-2023, 11:07 PM
DSM is talking - disregard all input immediately

sammoHung
10-05-2023, 11:19 PM
I think I might do a Dwarf Paladin with CHA starting points. My goal is to log in, put together a pick up group of people who want to try a dungeon crawl and get er done.

Monk isn't too bad for solo as well. Not sure if that was on OP's radar or not.

Yah, I did monk already this way. Went all out twinking. Soloed in Sol A from 25-40 and Sol B from 40-59. It was a lot of fun. It really spoiled me as far as twinking classes go. I had CoF / RFS from 1-50, and I was almost never in trouble of dying. I've also rolled 3 more monks since, got them to about 30 and then quit. Trouble is always the lack of people who feel brave enough to dive into a dungeon only partnered with a monk - and the mid levels feeling like a mindless grind after a while.

For this toon's purposes: Monk can carry a group pretty well, but Paladin brings slightly more utility for what I want to do (I think). At least outwardly. Some players might feel safer knowing there's heals and roots and pacify? Idk.

Will you be twinking?

Yeah. Heavily twinked. Fungi / Narandi / Reaver / DW BP, etc. I did this before, but quit around 51 because the kills started taking for-g-d-ever. I'm not really trying to get max level on this toon. I just want a non-60 that I can log in a few hours per week to get a lil EQ fix, via dungeon crawls.

Lune
10-05-2023, 11:48 PM
I think I might do a Dwarf Paladin with CHA starting points. My goal is to log in, put together a pick up group of people who want to try a dungeon crawl and get er done.

I just did that not too long ago with a twinked out high elf paladin. Worked really well. Paladin is a good choice for group-daddy

Solist
10-06-2023, 01:06 AM
Cha paladin good solid class.

Cha cleric same, easy to find twink melee to roll with.

Jimjam
10-06-2023, 02:21 AM
With heavy twinking, if you want to actively crawl through the dungeon and use your spells instead of just flopping down then I’d suggest paladin.

Crede
10-06-2023, 09:05 AM

Yah, I did monk already this way. Went all out twinking. Soloed in Sol A from 25-40 and Sol B from 40-59. It was a lot of fun. It really spoiled me as far as twinking classes go. I had CoF / RFS from 1-50, and I was almost never in trouble of dying. I've also rolled 3 more monks since, got them to about 30 and then quit. Trouble is always the lack of people who feel brave enough to dive into a dungeon only partnered with a monk - and the mid levels feeling like a mindless grind after a while.

For this toon's purposes: Monk can carry a group pretty well, but Paladin brings slightly more utility for what I want to do (I think). At least outwardly. Some players might feel safer knowing there's heals and roots and pacify? Idk.

Yeah. Heavily twinked. Fungi / Narandi / Reaver / DW BP, etc. I did this before, but quit around 51 because the kills started taking for-g-d-ever. I'm not really trying to get max level on this toon. I just want a non-60 that I can log in a few hours per week to get a lil EQ fix, via dungeon crawls.

Good choice. The dwarf cultural is also really good you can start out with good wis and huge str/sta. 50s are slow for Pallies try to do kedge mermaids with the zem to help out and as toxigen suggested go with ds pots to make dps more tolerable.

Toxigen
10-06-2023, 09:54 AM

Don't sleep on 10 dose Kilva's. I bought a ton of 'em for my pally. Makes a huge difference. Just make sure you're fully medded up ready to rock, pop it, go ham, and hopefully you can nonstop kill til it expires. Med back up and do it over again.

Kobold Crown, Crude Stein, and a matchless dragon mask should do it for cha items. Oh and that sword that procs CHA buff is pretty damn sweet too but I never got one.

Deepwater arms will save a lot of mana later on.

I highly recommend starting in the Warrens right at level 1 til 20/22 (start at ent, then once you can handle the pit fighters go back and forth between those spawns, then head down towards throne room) to get a free Hole key.

I went to Permafrost after that til about 30/32. Same thing...start at the ent, worked my way to Archaeologist / Preacher areas, then down to the jail.

CT to 43/44. Can start in the maze (wiz port in area), then go throne room, then just run laps around the base of the temple.

Absolute ZEM superhighway. Don't listen to the baddies here about healing through walls and shit they just aren't good at the game. I had 0 deaths on that char when I left CT...I think my first death was actually in the Hole when I had a named chicken nugget spawn on me in a bad spot. Once you learn the camps its a non issue.

Enchanters are your strongest duo partners (go figure), but paladin pairs well with so many classes if you're beefed out like that and know what you're doing.

DeathsSilkyMist
10-06-2023, 10:27 AM
Yeah. Heavily twinked. Fungi / Narandi / Reaver / DW BP, etc. I did this before, but quit around 51 because the kills started taking for-g-d-ever.

It sounds like you've already tried a Paladin before. SK's kill faster than Paladins due to their pets, which may help with that feeling of kills taking forever. You can fear kite in Dungeons, so you will still have your mana/hp saving techniques in that scenario. FD can allow you to get around the dungeons faster. Since you have a level 60 Monk you should be good at FD pulling already too. It's easier to FD pull on an SK due to having snare.

I've also rolled 3 more monks since, got them to about 30 and then quit. Trouble is always the lack of people who feel brave enough to dive into a dungeon only partnered with a monk - and the mid levels feeling like a mindless grind after a while.

I'm not really trying to get max level on this toon. I just want a non-60 that I can log in a few hours per week to get a lil EQ fix, via dungeon crawls.

At lower levels Paladins don't have access to any of their clickies, and don't get an XP resurrection until 59. Like all hybrids, they are going to be spending mana and not meditating due to needing to tank/DPS. You aren't going to be as efficient as a Cleric in terms of healing/rooting/lulling. I don't think a Paladin will solve this problem if you are worried about levels 1-44 in terms of building groups.

Cleric/Enchanter/Shaman would be a better group builder and cornerstone class if you are mostly focused on trying to get people to go into a Dungeon with you. They aren't tank classes, but that may end up being the better choice since you have already tried a Paladin and a Monk. Shamans can tank well, espcially when twinked. Something to consider if you are bent on tanking.

DSM is talking - disregard all input immediately

Please forgive Troxx OP, he is a childish troll who prefers to shut down conversations instead of having them. He will troll you as well if you trigger him, so be wary when responding to his posts.

Snaggles
10-06-2023, 11:26 AM
Just to clarify, by dungeon crawling I assume soloing in like Guk or SolB, not Seb. If that’s the case it’s going to be a real slog for any melee and most casters.

Pallies with a basic CHA set and invis potions can bypass a lot of stuff. Perhaps with less danger than a train and FD. Bring a Leatherfoot cap for situations you can’t train out. Being able to root stuff and click heal is a real advantage. Outside killing stuff that summons (again though, not what I’m assuming you mean).

If you want control and a clutch heal to save the cleric or enchanter (LoH) a pally while boring is a better tank than the SK. If you can put a pet up or fear stuff the hat tips to the SK. A ranger while squishy is a mix of both.

Toxigen
10-06-2023, 11:35 AM
The answer is definitely paladin.

skulldudes
10-06-2023, 11:55 AM
a well-equipped and competent paladin is an absolute joy to group/crawl with, in my exp. the lulls, the roots, the stuns, big tanking and sustain w/ heals n clickies is just *chefskiss*. i would pick you, holy boi

Toxigen
10-06-2023, 01:03 PM
i would pick you, holy boi

this legit made me smile for some reason

I definitely surprised some randoms asking for odd-ball duos when I was bangin on the paladood. I used to RP as a Jamaican (chars name is Rastafire Soulfari) and had some "ya mon" flavored macros. Good times and good XP in what people wouldn't consider to be great pairings.

Its fun being the carry.

Keebz
10-07-2023, 01:02 PM
I'd say this depends on what kind of diving we're talking about here. Lower level dungeon diving, any melee + fungi is just going to be fine. If you're walking about Seb, Chardok, HS or the ilk, you are gonna want Paladin or SK. A super geared monk is great as well, but until you can shrug off CH's and Ice Comets, I don't suggest it. Paladin is the most straightforward choice, but SK really can do a lot. For paladin, I'd probably do something with decent CHA/WIS as STR (and to a lesser extent STA) is much more available on gear.

The thing about the hybrids is you need to work to get value out of your mana bar or else you're just a bad warrior. Experience on Cleric/Nec/Druid/etc helps a lot in this regard.

patrick210
10-07-2023, 01:51 PM
Paladin , Gorondo infact

jdmchris
10-13-2023, 12:47 AM
Get a Jeldorin + love life EZ

Snaggles
10-13-2023, 01:00 AM
The nice thing about a pally is as the leader you can help a group crawl. Lull and bypass some stuff. Get a crit fail and get to have a little adventure. A SK can split pull but you can’t flop past stuff and bring your friends along.

Duik
10-13-2023, 09:01 AM
Flop pull a npc mob or two out of the way, let party move past then rejoin group. Some fucking around but it works. Dunno at what mob lvl it would no longer is an option.

Keebz
10-13-2023, 12:33 PM
In addition to training away, you can also lull undead mobs, which are pretty common in dungeons.

Naethyn
10-14-2023, 03:22 PM
Warrior because dps is better than cc.

Trelaboon
10-15-2023, 05:15 PM
Answer is most definitely a Paladin. I have Warrior, Paladin, Monk and Ranger all at 60 and currently leveling a mid-50’s SK twink, all of which I solo leveled with. Shadowknight is nice for the ability to feign, but otherwise it really doesn’t feel as good as Paladin in dungeon crawl settings. Fear kiting is a possibility in some dungeons but it’s not gonna always be possible. Monk actually does really well too, but still not as well as Paladin in my opinion. Having no lull or root means adds are an issue (could rely on shovel later, but even then).

DeathsSilkyMist
10-15-2023, 05:39 PM
Answer is most definitely a Paladin. I have Warrior, Paladin, Monk and Ranger all at 60 and currently leveling a mid-50’s SK twink, all of which I solo leveled with. Shadowknight is nice for the ability to feign, but otherwise it really doesn’t feel as good as Paladin in dungeon crawl settings. Fear kiting is a possibility in some dungeons but it’s not gonna always be possible. Monk actually does really well too, but still not as well as Paladin in my opinion. Having no lull or root means adds are an issue (could rely on shovel later, but even then).

You can fear kite in more places than you think. You just need to learn the mob locations and pathing.

Trelaboon
10-16-2023, 11:50 PM
You can fear kite in more places than you think. You just need to learn the mob locations and pathing.

Yea but it’s just a big pain in the ass. Having to risk grabbing an add, running back to your start point each time you need to re-fear (especially annoying against casters) etc.

I’ve been mostly fear kiting on my SK and it’s been….fine….but Paladin was just so much more enjoyable. Paci was really reliable most of the time, my downtime was very minimal with DW BP, I had the ability to root in case I got an add or two. SK can do fine in a tight space, but Paladin is just gonna do it better in the majority of cases.

sammoHung
10-22-2023, 12:42 PM
I did warrior to 30 or so, and paladin to 20.

God warrior was so much better. Paladin could barely kill a yellow mob at level 20, with Fungi and full twink set.

Comapred to warrior who was ripping through mobs

Crede
10-22-2023, 02:22 PM

God warrior was so much better. Paladin could barely kill a yellow mob at level 20, with Fungi and full twink set.

Check back 40+ when neither can kill yellows but warrior can’t split for shit. Root net nerf ruined so much.

Snaggles
10-23-2023, 12:19 PM
I soloed the pally as my second main and a shoestring budget to 60. Never a fungi or DW BP, low budget. Old knight damage table. Old 2h damage bonus. Pre-upgraded Narandi Lance.

Also leveled a gnome warrior to 56 with about 100k in gear including the 40% haste arms. Root nets. Battle bind was still a thing.

The paladin was easier.

DeathsSilkyMist
10-23-2023, 12:29 PM
I soloed the pally as my second main and a shoestring budget to 60. Never a fungi or DW BP, low budget. Old knight damage table. Old 2h damage bonus. Pre-upgraded Narandi Lance.

Also leveled a gnome warrior to 56 with about 100k in gear including the 40% haste arms. Root nets. Battle bind was still a thing.

The paladin was easier.

Yeah Warrior feels good for levels 1-30 or so when Fungi can basically soak most damage and Warrior crit damage takes a considerable chunk out of a mobs life. It plays very similar to a Monk, just without Mend and FD.

Warriors don't have Mend, FD, or Hybrid spells, so their solo capabilities just fall behind once you get to the 40s. Even with nice toys like Truncheon of Doom, it isn't as consistent as simply using DW Breastplate, Fear Kiting, etc.

Jimjam
10-23-2023, 12:44 PM
Check my sig for the level regen bp scw 1:2 weapon warrior twink runs out of steam :)

Trelaboon
10-26-2023, 02:36 PM

If you’re not able to kill a level 21 mob at level 20 on ANY fungi equipped toon, there’s a problem most likely on your end lol

Toxigen
10-26-2023, 03:05 PM

yeah this is just wrong

my paladin crushed the warrens right out of the gate...was farming the throne room area before level 20

paladin far better

zelld52
11-04-2023, 08:57 AM
If you’re not able to kill a level 21 mob at level 20 on ANY fungi equipped toon, there’s a problem most likely on your end lol

barely ~= not able. good reading, friend

Trelaboon
11-05-2023, 05:12 PM
barely ~= not able. good reading, friend

Okay, then let me rephrase: if you’re barely able to kill a level 21 mob at level 20 on ANY fungi geared character, the problem is most likely you.

There should be no barely about it. A level 20 of any class can kill reds with a fungi and a rusty weapon lol.