PDA

View Full Version : Account Security Suggestions?

Lostprophets
07-11-2011, 06:10 PM
I'm not really sure if this was suggested before or this is the right place to put this post, but with so many people have been getting hacked lately, and I'm surprised this hasn't been suggested yet (or considered being implemented), but with all the people donating to the server why isn't there a EMU server script patched in (whatever it is) where fail-safe attempts are implemented where after 5 login attempts it restricts you from trying to login for an hour or more to insure account security.

I guess I'm suggesting for all the money put into the EMU's and Project 1999, this would be a very wise decision to implement in a few different ways.

1.) Emu recognizes your account being attempted to log in enables you to put in three secret question/passwords to ensure your security.

2.) After 5 Logins your account gets locked and notifies you via email it had 5 failed login attempts, and to click a Link to either change your password or wait an hour (or more) to try again.

3.) Once logging in to your server have it notify you if you've had failed login attempts, and how many failed attempts. (sometimes you miss a keystroke or whatnot and fail to login, it's also nice to to know it's only one and not like 30.)

I know this probably would be a very tedious process, but very necessary for the fact that people devote many hours of their life to this EMU, as well as money to keep the project running. Especially with the whole "if you lose something with vague evidence your basically screwed" policy.

this is just my 2cp on the whole situation of all the hackings lately.

- Lostprophets

-- Comments/Input/Thoughts on the matter appreciated, even if this wasn't the right place to put this..

h0tr0d (shaere)
07-11-2011, 06:11 PM
They can check IPs can't they? Match em up.

Uthgaard
07-11-2011, 06:18 PM
If anyone's accounts were bruteforced, it would be worth looking into. 90% are people who gave out their password. The other 10% are people who got the trojan from the dipshit in berlin.