PDA

View Full Version : Baby ranger - fun hunting ideas?

Pages : [1] 2

Troxx
09-04-2023, 09:04 PM
I’m out of productive things to do on my current characters. They’re all 60 and either xp capped or with a buffer way more than needed. I’ve played every class on p99 other than Ranger, rogue, SK, ench, and wiz.

My first ever character was a Ranger and I played him aggressively until planes of power. It was a hoot. I’m looking for a trip down memory lane. I plan on staying in the old world. An 8k starter fund got me cheap haste, an ikky regen bp, 2 6/65 rings and a smattering of 20-300p gear to fill my slots along with some hand-me-downs sitting in bank spots like a 30/35 2hs. Currently a badass level 5 in gfay.

Leveling fast is not my goal. I have a mental list of my old haunts from eons ago. Suggestions on some really off the beaten path locations? I plan on being self sufficient and will likely have to solo but will be happy to pair up with anyone I find along the way if they’re in the area I’m passing through.

I want to experience the ‘less experienced’ areas of old world Norrath and to do so in a wandering fashion (ie not sitting in the same spot until I put level it). I would like to taste a little bit of it all.

So … knowing the above if you were going to do a tour of the old world (odus/antonica/faydwer) trying to hit a little bit of everything and try to visit most zones … what path would YOU take?

(Next project is either SK or enchanter)

wittles
09-04-2023, 10:02 PM
When you get in to your 20's, slaughter Najena and Runny Eye. I love those zones so much. Sol A too. Permafrost is another great place to explore and level.

Cecily
09-05-2023, 02:42 AM
Wander, hit track, and kill anything blue.

Jimjam
09-05-2023, 05:47 AM
Wander, hit track, and kill anything blue.

That is how my ranger completed 45. Port to tox, head to freeport knocking off anything blue or xp green and repeat. Go the south route, obviously.

Keebz
09-05-2023, 06:30 AM
I've never really done stonebrunt, so I'd probably check that out.

Infectious
09-05-2023, 08:02 AM
I've never really done stonebrunt, so I'd probably check that out.

I did stoneburnt on my monk because I never did the zone before... Exp is absolutely horrible.

Snaggles
09-05-2023, 08:54 AM
I’d get a fleeting quiver eventually and some type of velium bow for rot efficiency. Find nearby vendors who sell arrows and carry a lot. Eventually can use a tolan bracer.

Fear kiting as a ranger is very fun and efficient. If I was doing it again mainly as an adventure and training course I would probably do a bunch of outdoor zones. Crushbone, mistmoore, unrest, NK (fearing griffins) or iceclad cougars/drakkel wolves in GD. Maybe finish off dreadlands and into Karnors or geos. Anywhere you can harmony, snare, and remain sowed is awesome.

Toxigen
09-05-2023, 09:37 AM
Just save yourself the frustration and start your enchanter instead.

Troxx
09-05-2023, 09:59 AM
Just save yourself the frustration and start your enchanter instead.

Hehe I will eventually and when I do I won’t be looking to accomplish the same thing.

This isn’t a speed leveling situation or one where I expect something more from the class than I expect of it. It’s just an opportunity to have some laid back fun and wander aimlessly.

loramin
09-05-2023, 11:16 AM
I did stoneburnt on my monk because I never did the zone before... Exp is absolutely horrible.

Eh, at 45 or so I found it was one of the only places I could solo my ranger. Tons of animals to fear kite > slightly lower ZEM.

Snaggles
09-05-2023, 12:00 PM
You can fear kite tigerraptors to 49, prob some blues in EJ still in the low 50's.
I got a tolan bracer and started bow rotting at 49+.

zelld52
09-05-2023, 07:29 PM
I reccently just did a ranger to 40ish.

Ranger is great. Track is a lot of fun while exping.

I enjoyed South Karana farming Ring of Shadows for my melee alts.

Iceclad was also fun. Stopped at 40 tho for reasons

astuce999
09-06-2023, 09:29 AM
If you're going to want to keep an old world flavor, I would highly recommend checking out all the "newbie" ranger quests available on Faydwer. The gear rewards may end up being so-so, but the immersion and the nostalgia are insanely good, and it takes you to placesl ike Lfay :)

Orc impaler ftw!

cheers,

Astuce

Infectious
09-06-2023, 04:21 PM
I reccently just did a ranger to 40ish.

Ranger is great. Track is a lot of fun while exping.

I enjoyed South Karana farming Ring of Shadows for my melee alts.

Iceclad was also fun. Stopped at 40 tho for reasons

Go to city of mist now and become the alpha puller you were meant to be

Troxx
09-08-2023, 10:38 AM
Worst part so far is not wanting to wander too far from a Ranger guild until I can train DW and double attack.

zelld52
09-08-2023, 04:01 PM
Worst part so far is not wanting to wander too far from a Ranger guild until I can train DW and double attack.

Luckily you can port to Surefll glade

Troxx
09-09-2023, 05:00 AM
Level 20 now ... enjoying some hand-me-downs from warrior to include a wurmslayer, 11/20 DN 1hb and 30/35 DN 2hs

I found a cool thing I haven't done on p99 ... "Orc Highway" in Oasis ... free unlimited pulls solo!

I am wondering at what double attack skill level or actual level the 30/35 will out parse the WS and 1hb

At level 30 weapon damage over 30 is unlocked; i'm thinking argent protector is about as good as woodsman staff. We'll see what i can grab cheaper or maybe i'll just grab a 32/36. Herbalist spade is cool but i don't know if i want a shovel graphic

Toxigen
09-09-2023, 06:08 AM
woody

Troxx
09-09-2023, 02:17 PM
I'll have to grab one when I hit 30; weapon damage is capped at 30 for now anyways

Seducio
09-09-2023, 02:38 PM
I thought I'd be using Swarmcaller more often than I actually did for the slow. It takes too long to proc though and dps drop from Woodsman is noticeable. I found I will only use Swarmcaller on a higher level Blue that requires some strategy to kill.

Otherwise Woodsman for the win.

Seducio
09-09-2023, 04:52 PM
While Woodsman is best for dps.

If you want fashion that is fairly close to Woodsman dps wise here are some options:

https://wiki.project1999.com/Argent_Protector
Ranger - Tank fashion

https://wiki.project1999.com/Exquisite_Velium_Battle_Axe
Ranger - Axe fashion

https://wiki.project1999.com/Di%27zok_Imperial_Katana
Ranger - Samurai fashion

https://wiki.project1999.com/Polished_Shai%60din_Naginata
Ranger - Areo Hotah fashion from Game of Thrones

Snaggles
09-10-2023, 03:34 PM
I personally hate the AP but rangers can’t use a reaver so it’s not horrible. Slow/hard hitting is good to negate damage shields and also helps with a higher damage bonus for archery. It probably holds up ok even compared to comparable EC bought 1h’s into the high 50’s.

zelld52
09-12-2023, 07:54 AM
Doljonijiarnimorinar (https://wiki.project1999.com/Doljonijiarnimorinar)

Yeah there's better ratio 2h for ranger out there, but none of them have that sweet 140dd proc.

Toxigen
09-12-2023, 08:31 AM
Swarmcaller is also the tits.

Crede
09-12-2023, 08:52 AM
Doljon is a fun toy until lvl 40. As a Ranger I’d just go with a silver swift blade and then woodsman at 30.

Jimjam
09-12-2023, 11:13 AM
There is a period from 45 to 49 where ranger can proc but not cast a wolf form.

During these levels I like wurmslayer and lupine dagger. Obviously grab swiftwind sooner if you can.

The dagger is actually the greater version so may be considered a handy proc until 56.

Troxx
09-12-2023, 03:06 PM
Ugh I hate wolf form. It’d be cool if you could have the perks without the stupid graphic.

Snaggles
09-12-2023, 09:34 PM
Doljon is a fun toy until lvl 40. As a Ranger I’d just go with a silver swift blade and then woodsman at 30.

This. If you're in a guild that kills Gozzrem shovel it and skip the epics even.

Crede
09-12-2023, 10:34 PM
Ugh I hate wolf form. It’d be cool if you could have the perks without the stupid graphic.

Weren’t some wolf forms black on live and looked way cooler? Or was that luclin era

Cliveislive
09-13-2023, 11:50 AM
If you truly want to level fast, do not worry about gear and just chain pull

Evia
09-13-2023, 02:33 PM
I’m out of productive things to do on my current characters. They’re all 60 and either xp capped or with a buffer way more than needed. I’ve played every class on p99 other than Ranger, rogue, SK, ench, and wiz.

My first ever character was a Ranger and I played him aggressively until planes of power. It was a hoot. I’m looking for a trip down memory lane. I plan on staying in the old world. An 8k starter fund got me cheap haste, an ikky regen bp, 2 6/65 rings and a smattering of 20-300p gear to fill my slots along with some hand-me-downs sitting in bank spots like a 30/35 2hs. Currently a badass level 5 in gfay.

Leveling fast is not my goal. I have a mental list of my old haunts from eons ago. Suggestions on some really off the beaten path locations? I plan on being self sufficient and will likely have to solo but will be happy to pair up with anyone I find along the way if they’re in the area I’m passing through.

I want to experience the ‘less experienced’ areas of old world Norrath and to do so in a wandering fashion (ie not sitting in the same spot until I put level it). I would like to taste a little bit of it all.

So … knowing the above if you were going to do a tour of the old world (odus/antonica/faydwer) trying to hit a little bit of everything and try to visit most zones … what path would YOU take?

(Next project is either SK or enchanter)

this sounds like an incredibly good time! ive thought about starting a lvl 1 character and doing something similar. hunting in zones im most unfamiliar with and not focus on the exp bar but the exp itself.

with that said some classic zones that i'd make sure to hit would be...
-kerra isle
-west karana (especially bandit camps)
-gorge of king xorbb
-runnyeye
-ocean of tears (not doing cyclops island. lower lvl stuff like gargs, sisters, goblins, ect)
-oasis of marr (not really off the beaten path, but not as popular as it used to be. nostalgic)
-rathe mountains
-najena
-stonebrunt mountains (this is technically velious era, but its on odus. I think the vibe of this zone is incredible. its probably the most underrated zone in EQ imho. adventuring to the kerra village on the top of the mountain is a real rpg treat)
-lake rathetear!! (aviak towers are great. riding the canoe to different islands)
-solA and solB (i know a lot of ppl venture these zones, but i actively avoid them. so id like to experience them and learn them like i know guk)
-KEDGE KEEP!(i admire those who know this zone. i want to know it. i've tried to love it like 20+ times...my adventures always end badly lol. i'd also love to learn it like i know guk which is to say like the back of my hand)
-timorious deep (ok ok i know this is kunark era...but i had to throw it in there. i always forget about this zone. ive never ever hunted in it....but i hear it can be good? raptor island? + ive seen those ogre camps. the place looks interesting and i never hear of many ppl hunting here for exps)

also what cecily suggested with running around zones and hitting track and looking for blue mobs sounds fun! you can even look for named mobs and maybe collect some lewt to sell in ec.

BarackObooma
09-15-2023, 02:04 AM
Not off the beaten path really but in case someone wants to level fast.

12-40 Unrest. Solo or get in good groups and there's no better place really at this level (unless you're fully decked out with fungi/etc. then some solo spots are better). Harmony is king for pulling. A druid or ranger in fireplace or basement makes all the difference. You're able to single out Bar and Hand areas giving you three camps to pull instead of one. The more you're there, the more people you will recognize and who will get you into a group.

40-47 Fironia vie (drolvarg growlers will green out at 46, at 47 there's still blue snarlers but it's better to move). Every 4x canine fangs = really good experience as a bonus. You're also right next to the city in case you want to vendor, bank, buy arrows, bandages, turn in canines, etc.

47-50s Dreadlands outside KC wall. Start with the lowest level blues, drolvarg snarlers, gnashers, stonegazer cocatrices, mountain giant craigs. Once you have a feel of the level ranges, track by distance and sort grab the closest "easy" one. Until you are comfortable, you can track by consider and go down to the lowest blues. Still close to FV.

If you get a lupine dagger, you can proc at 45 or wait until 49 to get the spell. If you haven't killed any spiders, they are not kos in wolf form in FV/DL. This makes pulling a lot safer.

Get a tolan's bracer (about 8k) asap. At 45, you can start summoning stacks of arrows. Get a fleeting quiver (1.5k, 20% bow haste). Fill it up before you start. If you get in trouble, you can kite the mob around and bow it down.

This is what I'm doing on my ranger (now 47).

Snaggles
09-16-2023, 09:01 AM
^ Tolan’s bracer, fleeting quiver, good bow, haste, 2h
With animal lull and invis might be a fun way to hunt in kedge keep. Hmm

Ghost of Starman
09-16-2023, 09:30 AM
Leveling ranger was super fun, I just wish I could have gotten sky cloak before 55, If I would choose a class to de-level and so again it'd def be ranger, first time around I just had mid-level EC gear but managed to solo to 60 (55 before sky cloak or full epic) without too much trouble.

Seducio
09-16-2023, 02:46 PM
Leveling ranger was super fun, I just wish I could have gotten sky cloak before 55, If I would choose a class to de-level and so again it'd def be ranger, first time around I just had mid-level EC gear but managed to solo to 60 (55 before sky cloak or full epic) without too much trouble.

How does full epic vs Woodsman compare at 60 dps wise?

Snaggles
09-16-2023, 07:03 PM
How does full epic vs Woodsman compare at 60 dps wise?

These days 2h is quite good. Wasn’t bad with 34/36% haste even before, I had a woodsman to level 58 in like 2019.

Swarmcaller proc to Woodsman is less than Earthcaller swap to something else. Not sure by how much but probably 20% or so. Less bad if you root and joust until you get a slow proc.

jgold16
09-16-2023, 09:18 PM

Any tips on soloing at 53? I was doing the dogs outside KC. But its gotten boring. Tried velks and got my ass handed to me. FWIW, got a tolan's bracer, fungi, seahorse belt, argent protector but no epics.

Keebz
09-17-2023, 03:04 AM
53 is a prime HHK level. Go root out some corrupt aristocracy from Norrath.

Evia
09-17-2023, 09:15 PM
Any tips on soloing at 53? I was doing the dogs outside KC. But its gotten boring. Tried velks and got my ass handed to me. FWIW, got a tolan's bracer, fungi, seahorse belt, argent protector but no epics.

Nobles in HHK until 55

Seducio
09-17-2023, 10:19 PM
If you can find one and usually they are avail during exp holidays a Hole group loves a good low to mid 50s ranger.

Jimjam
09-18-2023, 02:51 AM
If you can find one and usually they are avail during exp holidays a Hole group loves a good low to mid 50s ranger.

Sell me on a low/mid 50s ranger in the hole please. 🕳️

Snaggles
09-18-2023, 08:27 PM
Sell me on a low/mid 50s ranger in the hole please. 🕳️

Do you like being trapped, alone, where most of your good spells don't work?

Troxx
09-18-2023, 10:16 PM
Do you like being trapped, alone, where most of your good spells don't work?

#Truf

Seducio
09-19-2023, 02:17 AM
Well it works as often as there are pickup groups in the hole. Since we're late Velious that means the few times of year EXP bonus. Normally you only have Karnors for grouping which is not fun.

Bring an OT hammer. The Hole is a fun zone.

Toxigen
09-19-2023, 02:05 PM
imagine making a ranger over an enchanter

Troxx
09-19-2023, 02:44 PM
I felt like running around in the great outdoors fletching my own arrows and role playing a GAR (“gay ass Ranger”).

I’m the Mr Slave of the Karanas.

https://media.tenor.com/RpqEJxhwf5AAAAAM/stick-of-truth-mr-slave.gif

Lulz are being had.

Toxigen
09-19-2023, 03:13 PM
lol wow

Troxx
09-19-2023, 03:19 PM
I wish I was good enough with photoshop to change Paris Hiltons bottom half into an aviak

On mithaniel marr (later Saryrn) rangers were often referred to as GARs.

Snaggles
09-19-2023, 08:23 PM
imagine making a ranger over an enchanter

There are only three classes that can cast sow and the enchanter isnt one of them.

Toxigen
09-20-2023, 05:03 AM
There are only three classes that can cast sow and the enchanter isnt one of them.

Sure ya can. SoW pots op

Troxx
09-21-2023, 09:54 AM
Level 37 now.

Took a break from the Antonica to get a Gleed bow (killed just enough coldain to be dubious so I could sneak a turn in).

Taking another short break from old world to farm berzerkers while in prime xp range to get my hammer. I hope to have it done before I hit 39 but we’ll see.

Ideas for odus/antonica/faydwer spots afterwards? Would like to avoid kunark and velious until I get into the monotonous grind of the 50s.

Toxigen
09-21-2023, 11:03 AM
Level 37 now.

Took a break from the Antonica to get a Gleed bow (killed just enough coldain to be dubious so I could sneak a turn in).

Taking another short break from old world to farm berzerkers while in prime xp range to get my hammer. I hope to have it done before I hit 39 but we’ll see.

Ideas for odus/antonica/faydwer spots afterwards? Would like to avoid kunark and velious until I get into the monotonous grind of the 50s.

Cazic Thule is fkin lit, insane ZEM. You can harmo too. I got to 44 on my paladin there solo. The temple area is a literal cow level...and even the green cons (when you're level 42/43) will still give decent XP because of the ZEM. You can just do laps around the base of it.

If temple is too hard at first (shouldnt be at 39 tho) you can do the Throne Room area. Its off to the left after the zone in.

Go forth and slay many lizardpeepul, young Troxx.

Troxx
09-21-2023, 11:49 AM
Sounds like a great plan! I honestly have never spent much time there at all so should be a blast. I’ll probably move one of my 60s to the area to drag my corpse should I take a dirt nap.

Snaggles
09-21-2023, 11:53 AM
IMHO Highkeep to like 45 and then to oggok or grobb (tolan bracer). Low 50’s can go back to HK killing bards, nobles, or Dyrna. I used to snare-split bards and then bow rot them in the hallway with the Gleed bow.

RobotGraveyard
09-21-2023, 02:09 PM
What about solo opportunities 55-60? I tried WW, but holy hell those mobs have a ton of life.

Toxigen
09-21-2023, 03:04 PM
Sounds like a great plan! I honestly have never spent much time there at all so should be a blast. I’ll probably move one of my 60s to the area to drag my corpse should I take a dirt nap.

You'll love it. I had to paci shit with my paladin, with harmo on a twink ranger you'll be in cruise control the whole time.

SoW too...get in trouble just B-line it to the exit.

Enjoy! And yer whalecum.

Seducio
09-21-2023, 03:40 PM
Cazic Thule is fkin lit, insane ZEM.

CT is a good time if you are fighting in the right spots to avoid heal through walls from lizards that are in different camps than where you are. Especially fan of the Pyramid area. While solo is an option, a friend or two can go a long way here also.

Jimjam
09-21-2023, 03:54 PM
Troxx can just murderify the healers on his 60 first.

Troxx
09-21-2023, 08:12 PM
Status update:

Level: 37 (nearly 38)
Race: Wood Elf
Diety: Tunare (only option)

Primary weapon: Argent Protector
Alternate weapons: Wurmslayer and 2 11/20 1hbs
Bow: Huntsman (20/30 doesn't proc yet and no stats from Gleed
Haste: "borrowing" Seahorse belt from my paladin
Regen: Ikky regen bp

have kept 1hs 1hb and 2hs fully maxed for level along with defensive skills

Summary so far: some of the most fun I've had to date on p99. The ikky regen bp at level 37 is starting to show insufficiency compared to the Fungi tunic I used to own to pass around but sold a long time ago. Pulling is a breeze. Fully self sufficient at this point. Bow + self crafted arrow combined range of 180 + 150 = 330 is fun as hell. Unresistable harmony is overpowered.

"Fun" level for an alt thus far:

A++

What could make it better:
-a fungi???

What could make it worse:
-for the scope of what i want ... probably a fungi. Only having 5hp/tick regen forces me to slow down and do the other things like pick battles more carefully, craft mah arrows and somesuch. I'm a'feared a fungi would just have me grinding as I always have without enjoying the slow road (which was the point of this alt).

About my weapon: Argent protector at 42/49 is really perfect imo. Ratio is slightly worse than woodsman but has great stats and the delay with current haste allows for casting all my relevant spells without any lost melee dps. Added Dmg bonus from delay helps with archery

Starting stats: full strength. I practice what I preach. If 20 str is better than 20int for an iksar sk, it is certainly best for a low starting str ranger

Seducio
09-21-2023, 10:19 PM
Swarmcaller procs at 46. Thats worth adding once get there for the proc'd slow.

Ya Fungi would be the biggest gameplay changer, but it seems you're enjoying what you have and Fungi could always be a long term goal.

Troxx
09-22-2023, 02:48 AM
Cazic Thule is fkin lit, insane ZEM. You can harmo too. I got to 44 on my paladin there solo. The temple area is a literal cow level...and even the green cons (when you're level 42/43) will still give decent XP because of the ZEM. You can just do laps around the base of it.

If temple is too hard at first (shouldnt be at 39 tho) you can do the Throne Room area. Its off to the left after the zone in.

Go forth and slay many lizardpeepul, young Troxx.

Tell me more; i know nothing about this zone

Snaggles
09-22-2023, 09:38 AM
Personally, and I’m in the minority, but I don’t like CT. Fairly far away bind point and tough to get a rez to run out. You have casters and a lot of pathers. Some weird healing-through-the wall and z-axis BS. Also while it’s good ranger training stuff runs a lot which is just another variable/task.

HK is also outdoor with a better setup. 99% of NPC’s are warrior archetype. Over half are static. There is that 45-50’ish lump where there are a lot of green and most the blues are a bit too tough. That said, burning down a 2k health npc with arrows is quite easy. I did this in Grobb and kept all the 7-8 front spawns downs down from 45-54 and a basher has like 50% more hps than a noble or bard. These days the plat is even better (in Grobb). Can sneak to sell or lupine dagger and wolf vendor.

Troxx
09-24-2023, 01:56 AM
Ok I need some honest advice. I’m now closing in on 41 in OT hunting sarnak berzerkers. I’ve done a bunch of braid turn ins and am still scowls. Per wiki as a tunare woodelf Ranger I could be looking at hundreds of turn ins which would have me grinding them until they are long since past green and not giving xp.

It’s not bad xp for now but I’m getting bored and, for the first time on this toon, not having fun.

How much is a puppet string charge these days? Thinking of bailing, moving on, and just charming him later when I’m higher level.

Thoughts?

Snaggles
09-24-2023, 10:38 AM
I’ve done a few quests gathering up like a dozen Berserkers with my 60 ranger and swapping to loot. It’s still taken like 20hrs or so. The xp is ok but just not worth it.

I think a puppet string click is about 3-4k on the market. I’d go kill stuff that drops FS or plat like HK.

Jimjam
09-24-2023, 11:03 AM
The problem is the zerkers just drop almost zero cash and almost zero vendorable loot.

While the XP is decent, the opportunity cost of gathering enough braids to make faction is huge. So much so, that if you were to xp conventially somewhere else then in the time it would take a troll SK to get to decent enough faction to do the quest you would have made enough pp to pay for a strings click anyway. This can only be worse for an elf.

Something I did enjoy on my ranger was fear kiting the OT tigers.

Keebz
09-24-2023, 05:09 PM
Just pay for a strings click at 50. Better yet get a Tolan's BP.

Toxigen
09-25-2023, 03:14 PM
Personally, and I’m in the minority, but I don’t like CT. Fairly far away bind point and tough to get a rez to run out. You have casters and a lot of pathers. Some weird healing-through-the wall and z-axis BS. Also while it’s good ranger training stuff runs a lot which is just another variable/task.

HK is also outdoor with a better setup. 99% of NPC’s are warrior archetype. Over half are static. There is that 45-50’ish lump where there are a lot of green and most the blues are a bit too tough. That said, burning down a 2k health npc with arrows is quite easy. I did this in Grobb and kept all the 7-8 front spawns downs down from 45-54 and a basher has like 50% more hps than a noble or bard. These days the plat is even better (in Grobb). Can sneak to sell or lupine dagger and wolf vendor.

I never had an issue in CT after the first 30 minutes of figuring out positioning away from heals through walls. I solo'd my twink paladin there 32-44.

Troxx, stop being a pussy and go smash temple area while its still viable. You'll thank me later.

PatChapp
09-25-2023, 07:21 PM
Ranger can also just get an oggok bind and invis back, not sure why bind point could be an issue

Crede
09-25-2023, 08:09 PM
I never had an issue in CT after the first 30 minutes of figuring out positioning away from heals through walls. I solo'd my twink paladin there 32-44.

Troxx, stop being a pussy and go smash temple area while its still viable. You'll thank me later.

Ranger will get slapped around hard compared to pally. They can’t tank worth a damn. Those temple mobs are no joke from what I remember. It was the pyramid #2 on map I assume you’re referring to.

Snaggles
09-25-2023, 11:21 PM
You certainly can solo a ranger in there. It's not "easy" so I'm not sure the ZEM is paying off unless you're really tricky with harmony and sticking to some of the easier spots like the sewer.

Nothing in HK heals or harmtouches. Yea I'm a basic when it comes to moving the yellow bar :D

Jimjam
09-26-2023, 05:37 AM
Ranger will get slapped around hard compared to pally. They can’t tank worth a damn. Those temple mobs are no joke from what I remember. It was the pyramid #2 on map I assume you’re referring to.

I only noticed an issue with ranger tanking after level 40. Not even in particularly great gear - Ivy etched kinda stuff. It gets a bit better again at 51. I suspect the issue was due to the defence caps stagnating in 40s (I think this has changed since I levelled mine) and then there being a change to how worn ac caps are calculated post 50. idk.

Imago
09-26-2023, 11:51 AM
Ranger tanking is only noticeably inferior to warrior tanking at the highest levels of kunark/velious content. And maybe PoSky.

I’ve tanked Faydedar on a ranger no problem. He’s not a top notch dragon, but there’s really only a handful of mobs outside of ToV that need a sturdier tank.

Get that hammer, and get a Tolan BP. Having self portability options is fantastic

Ripqozko
09-26-2023, 01:09 PM
i never had an issue ranger tanking, of course with gear, from 1-60. it really wasnt hard or bad.

with gear ive tanked all of VP/hot, etc. can others do better? sure but its not like rangers cant, they can get pretty decent HP and VP dies in a disc timer.

Jimjam
09-26-2023, 02:52 PM
Ranger tanking is only noticeably inferior to warrior tanking at the highest levels of kunark/velious content. And maybe PoSky.

I’ve tanked Faydedar on a ranger no problem. He’s not a top notch dragon, but there’s really only a handful of mobs outside of ToV that need a sturdier tank.

Get that hammer, and get a Tolan BP. Having self portability options is fantastic

i never had an issue ranger tanking, of course with gear, from 1-60. it really wasnt hard or bad.

with gear ive tanked all of VP/hot, etc. can others do better? sure but its not like rangers cant, they can get pretty decent HP and VP dies in a disc timer.

Did you guys level your rangers before / after the AC revamp? After the defence skill cap changed to 220?

Ripqozko
09-26-2023, 03:06 PM
Did you guys level your rangers before / after the AC revamp? After the defence skill cap changed to 220?

Before I leveled in 2016 for ranger

Snaggles
09-27-2023, 12:14 PM
It’s not so much AC as the hp pool of the average ranger. Mine usually runs MR gear for the fantasy I might pull something. Without BiS that usually means a mid/low 2k hp ranger. Where a tank can more confidently stack hp > all gear (AC usually comes with it). I’ve tanked slowed cliff golems with my ranger and get beat up pretty bad. The pally it’s rather boring. Whether due to the AC, defense skills, or almost double the self buffed HP. Technically either works though so it just depends on perspective and how much mana efficiency matters.

With a quick slow anyone can tank anything. Hell, Bard regen is enough to keep up with almost any blue con and the right group composition. Objectively though, rangers are more squishy then knights. Knights a bit more than monks (it’s close but monks prob have the edge, but average with higher hps). Warriors are the best outside aggro.

Slow early. Make sure nobody runs out of red bar. Win the game.

Snaggles
09-27-2023, 12:18 PM
As for that last post, doesn’t really matter in CT. I know some rangers with a woodsman and fungi who leveled there with ease. They probably know the zone really well and were selective.

In general, HP recovery of a ranger or even SK even with a fungi is low. That’s the issue here. Compared to a monk or especially a pally 45+ and you can face tank for days.

Troxx
09-29-2023, 02:52 PM
I haven’t had time to play this week. I did go to CT but I admittedly don’t know the zone well. It might be one of the only zones in the game I could get lost in (and quite easily). The heals through the walls were just awful but when I could isolate mobs away from heals it wasn’t that bad. I did get a few levels there.

Maybe it would have been easier sober? :p

By the end of the session I had imbibed enough that I can’t immediately recall what level I was when I logged out. 43 or 44 I think?

All in all I rate the zone as overly complicated and buggy as hell … but I did it (well some of it).

wittles
09-29-2023, 04:34 PM
I haven’t had time to play this week. I did go to CT but I admittedly don’t know the zone well. It might be one of the only zones in the game I could get lost in (and quite easily). The heals through the walls were just awful but when I could isolate mobs away from heals it wasn’t that bad. I did get a few levels there.

Maybe it would have been easier sober? :p

By the end of the session I had imbibed enough that I can’t immediately recall what level I was when I logged out. 43 or 44 I think?

All in all I rate the zone as overly complicated and buggy as hell … but I did it (well some of it).

What level did you start to hunt there?

Troxx
09-29-2023, 05:31 PM
38-39?

Jimjam
09-30-2023, 03:25 AM
My headcanon for the RP behind this story is your ranger went to CT for some kind of Mardis Gras party, got drank and picked a bunch of fights across the weekend.

PatChapp
09-30-2023, 06:57 AM
If you got 4 or 5 levels solo in cazic you did great. It is certainly a frustrating zone until you get used to it.

Seducio
09-30-2023, 04:39 PM
Cool thing is some of those lizards don't have many hps. It's the heals thru walls that can really turn people off from the place and also the pathing like Troxx mentioned. Once past that though it's a unique setting imo worth checking out. Knowledge of the zone plays out later if you ever experience updated CT 2.0 on a server that gets that.

RobotGraveyard
10-03-2023, 12:24 PM
Any recommendations for 55 and beyond solo? I have gotten my ranger to 55 I would say 95% solo. Most recently dinged 55 in SolB at Bats and bugs. Beetles are okay to root/rot to like 75% and then melee. LDCs are real tough. I have been looking at the wiki/magelo and running through zones with tracking up looking for DBs that aren't HP gods.

Jimjam
10-03-2023, 12:48 PM
Run riot in KC 55+, especially if you are kitted out with epics/haste click.

Toxigen
10-03-2023, 02:14 PM
Any recommendations for 55 and beyond solo? I have gotten my ranger to 55 I would say 95% solo. Most recently dinged 55 in SolB at Bats and bugs. Beetles are okay to root/rot to like 75% and then melee. LDCs are real tough. I have been looking at the wiki/magelo and running through zones with tracking up looking for DBs that aren't HP gods.

Unfortunately KC is your best option. Outdoors. You may be able to break the monotony that is solo ranger with a little duo / trio. Lots of people LFG there.

Just don't join that full group at LCY and get sucked into pulling for a bunch of half AFK shitters.

Are you using a Swarmcaller + Woodsman Staff?

Crede
10-03-2023, 04:03 PM

WL goos, then finish off in KC basement.

RobotGraveyard
10-03-2023, 05:04 PM
Unfortunately KC is your best option. Outdoors. You may be able to break the monotony that is solo ranger with a little duo / trio. Lots of people LFG there.

Just don't join that full group at LCY and get sucked into pulling for a bunch of half AFK shitters.

Are you using a Swarmcaller + Woodsman Staff?

I have Swarmcaller + Swiftwind/Crafted Velium Warsword. I have been root/rot with arrows til 75% on mobs then meleeing. I am thinking maybe Solb is just the best option? I dread KC!

RobotGraveyard
10-03-2023, 05:05 PM
WL goos, then finish off in KC basement.

Are goos viable? I thought they weren't worth it anymore with the changes to the goos they spawn.

Seducio
10-04-2023, 01:22 PM
Speaking of Goos. City of Mist stairs between 2nd floor and 3rd floor has three goos. Can take you to 60, but it slows down around 58. Ranger should be able to pull those three solo with harmony. Swarmcaller/Woodsman for slow should be able to take out the 3 goos every 22 min.

Snaggles
10-04-2023, 04:33 PM
I have Swarmcaller + Swiftwind/Crafted Velium Warsword. I have been root/rot with arrows til 75% on mobs then meleeing. I am thinking maybe Solb is just the best option? I dread KC!

A bit risky but can lull dogs in Chardok. Bow rot and melee the sarnaks and fear kite the dogs. Keep sow up with an invis ring. Worse case can haul to the zone out (and hope not to train CE).

Might end up with a SOS or some tribal boots.

Edit: assuming Highkeep is green. I wouldn’t mess with Charok unless like 57 or with a sky cloak.

Troxx
10-05-2023, 02:25 PM
About 75% through 44 and lazily hanging out in DL along KC wall. Proximity to FV is useful for fletching supplies. Am up to 170 skip but damn those silver tips are expensive. Once I get silver tips trivial will probably stop working fletching altogether.

With only an ikky regen bp, the squishy-ness of the ranger is starting to show … as is the importance of scrubbing up the cash for a Tolan’s bracer. My ac is actually pretty good. Ranger is taking a lot more damage than my monk, warrior, or paladin ever did.

It is obscene how fast I can rip through several bags of arrows with the 20/30 Gleed bow, and these days I find myself having to root, back off, and bow rot more and more often.

Toxigen
10-05-2023, 02:27 PM
Its almost Swarmcaller time, though!

Troxx
10-05-2023, 02:41 PM
Yeah but now I’m broke lol. I have tons of 60 alts with good gear/items but i liquidated almost everything not nailed to their bodies or critical bag items for each respective class.

I suppose I could sell my warrior’s 2 blood points. They are garbage dps and frankly worthless at my gear level. I can’t recall equipping them in a long time. Not sure on how much they are currently worth but probably not enough to fund a swarmcaller or a tolans bracer.

I dunno, I should just check banks again. I might be able to scrounge up another 5k or more in coin from character banks.

Toxigen
10-05-2023, 03:20 PM
Park a char in KC w/ 5k and pop in on busy times in ooc and try to buy one.

Tunnel can be hit or miss.

If I could log in I'd just give you one. I have 'em on basically all my characters. I buy them any time I see for sale b/c I've lost plenty of em on my enchanter / necro over the years.

Troxx
10-05-2023, 03:43 PM
Per wiki (never perfect but there are plenty of entries over the last few months), it looks like a Swarmcaller can get got for 1.5-2k.

Jimjam
10-05-2023, 04:05 PM
I’ve got a few spare swarmcallers on blue. Want one? Idk whether i got any on green if u rolled there.

Gratis of .

Troxx
10-05-2023, 04:08 PM
I’m on blue. If you have one to spare I’d be happy to lighten your load lol.

Character name: Thelarche (google it!)

I have a 4 day weekend that starts in about an hour. PM me here or find me online whenever.

Jimjam
10-05-2023, 04:10 PM
Okay if I can get the family to bed and not succumb to the sirens call of sleep i’ll try hook you up!!

Troxx
10-05-2023, 05:07 PM
Alright, no rush at all I'm logging in and will be on for a while.

Jimjam
10-06-2023, 03:15 AM
Did you make 46?!

Snaggles
10-06-2023, 09:54 AM
My ranger was on a shoestring budget to 60. I did tigerraptors in Wakening Land by the skyshrine zone (snare/panic animal) to 49. They will green out slowly but you will always be able to find a blue near the zone on track.

Get a tolan bracer next. Lots of low HP blues to bow rot in that mid 50’s level range. Plus it’s a necessary kit piece for marathon solos. Good for you getting fletching up; access to those Gucci arrows comes in handy even if just during a disc.

Jimjam
10-06-2023, 01:01 PM
Can we form a seb group to take troxx to loot his own tolan bracer?

Even better if we all bring our rangers??

Toxigen
10-06-2023, 01:16 PM
lol id pay to watch 6 rangers try to get there and camp that

(ok if they were full BiS no problems, ofc)

Seducio
10-06-2023, 06:15 PM
Can we form a seb group to take troxx to loot his own tolan bracer?

Even better if we all bring our rangers??

If it's first time to Brogg's room, watch out for that hidden bug that usually is chilling under the bridge. You can typically pacify it with some camera angle tricks from the doorway. Otherwise you'll get an unpleasant add, possibly summoning, when you pull from there.

If Troxx wants a hand getting this and gets a time going I could show up on Blue with an Enchanter. My ranger is on Green so wouldn't able to participate in a 6 member ranger party on Blue.

Toxigen
10-06-2023, 09:08 PM
All 6 Swarmcallers out every pull. Quick slows. Lets make it happen.

Getting to Brogg would be the hardest part. Camping the room would be cake.

Seducio
10-06-2023, 09:48 PM
Breaking Disco1 without CC or heals would be an adventure that's for sure. A rooted Gruplinort can still summon and Ice Comet with ease.

Troxx
10-06-2023, 10:33 PM
Did you make 46?!

Close but not quite. I had chores to do today.

Infectious
10-07-2023, 12:26 PM
Breaking Disco1 without CC or heals would be an adventure that's for sure. A rooted Gruplinort can still summon and Ice Comet with ease.

Outside of a monk with beads, I don't see this happening. The wizards aren't even the problem, because outside of ic most nukes only hit in the 4s or resisted.

Them shamans can be a problem.

jgold16
10-07-2023, 03:42 PM
Swarmcaller 1.5k on blue but 700-800 on green? Why such a difference? I think I got mine on green for like 650.

Seducio
10-07-2023, 06:07 PM
Swarmcaller 1.5k on blue but 700-800 on green? Why such a difference? I think I got mine on green for like 650.

If I had to guess Karnor's is probably less visited on Blue than Green. You can still find pick up groups for low to mid 50s in Karnors on Green. Therefore Swarmcaller entering the economy more often on Green. There are probably many many Swarmcallers chilling on unused characters on Blue, but just not as many new ones entering the market there.

Troxx
10-07-2023, 06:23 PM
If I had to guess Karnor's is probably less visited on Blue than Green. You can still find pick up groups for low to mid 50s in Karnors on Green. Therefore Swarmcaller entering the economy more often on Green.

The main camps in KC are camped most every time I log in on blue ... so that clearly isn't the case

There are probably many many Swarmcallers chilling on unused characters on Blue, but just not as many new ones entering the market there.

Now this might be the case. The population is smaller, more watered down, and likely full of raiders and a lot of raider alts who aren't going to get excited to go sit in EC trying to sell an item for less than 2k.

UPDATE:

I scrounged up sufficient plat for a Tolans bracer!

Seducio
10-07-2023, 06:40 PM
The main camps in KC are camped most every time I log in on blue ... so that clearly isn't the case

Makes sense. I'm on Blue like 5 minutes a year these days so I don't have any data other than speculation from past. You being on Blue I take your word for it.

Grats on saving up for a Tolan's Bracer. Easy way to fill up with tons of arrows.

Toxigen
10-08-2023, 08:26 AM

swarmcallers for 1.5k rarely

enchanters will pay 4-5k easily if they really need one

Troxx
11-07-2023, 04:41 PM
Level 52 now. Still no luck on tolans bracer … but some day …

As an aside, think it’s possible to trade TStaff for fungi? I have an IFS on my monk Incould use alternately (and I never really play her anymore)

DeathsSilkyMist
11-07-2023, 07:06 PM

As an aside, think it’s possible to trade TStaff for fungi? I have an IFS on my monk Incould use alternately (and I never really play her anymore)

On blue TStaffs sell for around 40k and Fungis sell for around 45k last time i checked. So you should be close trade-wise, unless the market changed again.

Ripqozko
11-07-2023, 07:14 PM
On blue TStaffs sell for around 40k and Fungis sell for around 45k last time i checked. So you should be close trade-wise, unless the market changed again.

like 35 and 38 now

Seducio
11-10-2023, 05:32 PM

Is Brogg camp typically open in seb on Blue these days?

Crede
11-10-2023, 08:42 PM
Is Brogg camp typically open in seb on Blue these days?

Hit or miss. Decent number of chanters are parked there.

Seducio
11-11-2023, 01:16 AM
Hit or miss. Decent number of chanters are parked there.

Kind of surprised. 150 months of Kunark farming.

Kunark Release Date (https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26957)

Zuranthium
11-19-2023, 06:20 PM

I think the current p99 wiki info for Stonebrunt Mountains is wrong. Someone listed it as going from 75 to 100 zone modifier with the March 2020 patch that buffed all the classic outdoor zones (the ones not already having 100+ mod), but stonebrunt isn't from that era despite being on Odus. With the November 2021 patch that increased the mod by 10%, that should just mean it was moved from 75 to 83 rather than from 100 to 110.

sammoHung
12-01-2023, 10:04 AM
Outside of a monk with beads, I don't see this happening. The wizards aren't even the problem, because outside of ic most nukes only hit in the 4s or resisted.

to necro this thread... it might be possible with 6 rangers. Just have to make sure everyone piles into frenzied pox room, and root adds outside. This way you're out of LoS of the nukes, dots.

if Grup is up, or ilis in it's place, this will be tougher. If at least 1 of the rangers has earthcaller / swarmcaller, should be okay tho.

please i want to see a group of 6 rangers try this. imagine doin all that work to get to brogg and he drops a clay guardian shield

Crede
12-01-2023, 01:26 PM

sks can do this easily. Much better splitters than monks.

sammoHung
12-02-2023, 10:56 AM
to necro this thread... it might be possible with 6 rangers. Just have to make sure everyone piles into frenzied pox room, and root adds outside. This way you're out of LoS of the nukes, dots.

if Grup is up, or ilis in it's place, this will be tougher. If at least 1 of the rangers has earthcaller / swarmcaller, should be okay tho.

please i want to see a group of 6 rangers try this. imagine doin all that work to get to brogg and he drops a clay guardian shield

I take this back. 51 ranger can barely kill greens toe to toe. Ranger sucks lol

Snaggles
12-02-2023, 11:17 AM

The performance ceiling for a ranger varies a lot. Pure melees scale better but rangers have a lot of toys available. BiS knights are also amazing but a generic one played well can do a lot.

I love my ranger but outside outdoor kiting situations that don’t summon it’s not the most powerful choice.

sammoHung
12-02-2023, 11:48 AM
The performance ceiling for a ranger varies a lot. Pure melees scale better but rangers have a lot of toys available. BiS knights are also amazing but a generic one played well can do a lot.

I love my ranger but outside outdoor kiting situations that don’t summon it’s not the most powerful choice.

im spoiled by monk and rogue. rogue cant exactly stand toe to toe with the strongest of enemies.. but with strafestab, locustlure and/or poisons, it was much easier to solo low blues as 50s rogue than ranger. (thinking like rotting skel camp, etc)

Snaggles
12-02-2023, 10:49 PM
im spoiled by monk and rogue. rogue cant exactly stand toe to toe with the strongest of enemies.. but with strafestab, locustlure and/or poisons, it was much easier to solo low blues as 50s rogue than ranger. (thinking like rotting skel camp, etc)

A ranger can solo anything a rogue can, easily.
A ranger can solo anything a monk can, so long as it doesnt summon.

If you play like a rogue you will die. Your bracer summons arrows for a reason.

Troxx
12-18-2023, 03:12 PM
Finally nabbed a Tolan’s bracer - happy with the results. Down-time is eliminated at this point other than to summon arrows periodically - huge time saver not having to run zones away to restock. My 30 delay bow with sea-horsey belt haste and fleeting quiver can chew through stacks really really quickly. In the 10 minutes it used to take to run to FV and back to fill my bags with arrows I can now just summon 800 … or just spend 2 minutes summoning and get right back to killing.

Will pull and melee mobs until low health 20-30%. Bow kite mobs until health passively regens up (innate + ikky bp). Usually health is back up after a few mobs and then I can jump back in and melee mobs dead until low.

Meleeing is much faster but a ton of time saved in not having to med/heal up for each mob. Previously I was using arrows in a pinch only on mobs like ravishing drolvargs where I might not be able to toe to toe them down to the ground. Mana expenditure is minimal … just cheap root casts. On most mobs clicky snare works fine mana free. On ravishing I’ll use spell cast ensnare for the longer duration.

I will say I’ve also noticed something funky about Gleeds bow. It procs like crazy - way higher than expected. I suspect it is using the 49 delay on my argent protector to calculate the chance rather than the 30 delay on the bow itself.

Fun times.

Toxigen
12-18-2023, 04:16 PM
Need primal now Troxx!

Ripqozko
12-18-2023, 05:41 PM

Ranger is very gear dependent with certain items, sky cloak, good haste, good dps weapons makes a huge difference. Soloing is very very easy if you are geared on ranger with just straight up melee. they do get 91% self haste afterall and a variety of self procs., root, slow weapons, etc. Ac doesnt effect them but the toolkit, regen, 91% self haste, slows etc make leveling a ranger super easy with twinking.

Troxx
12-18-2023, 06:17 PM
Yeah I’m 52 now and have been capable of killing dark blues toe to toe most of the time. Medium level geared no sky cloak or fungi

Crede
12-18-2023, 08:44 PM
Best thing to do on a Ranger is pay for potg 55+. No matter how geared you are you’ll still get worked and need mana for downtime heals which will be insanely faster than bow kiting.

zelld52
12-18-2023, 09:33 PM
I will say I’ve also noticed something funky about Gleeds bow. It procs like crazy - way higher than expected. I suspect it is using the 49 delay on my argent protector to calculate the chance rather than the 30 delay on the bow itself.

Fun times.

Yah. To see this in full effect watch a warrior with thst bow and weighted axe. I was grouped with one who was proccing about half their shots

Jimjam
12-19-2023, 04:06 AM
Yah. To see this in full effect watch a warrior with thst bow and weighted axe. I was grouped with one who was proccing about half their shots

Hmm. So Sk levelling meta is to quad wyverns with skydarkener and weighted axe?

Vivitron
12-19-2023, 05:02 AM
Hmm. So Sk levelling meta is to quad wyverns with skydarkener and weighted axe?

An sk in my guild did some ice burrower quads with that.

7thGate
12-19-2023, 10:25 AM

This makes a lot of sense and explains some things that I've seen happen.

I tried to do a Sontalak kill with Archery once, with the idea being that a few characters would start in melee, but most people would be outside fear/fire AOE range shooting, and as people got summoned in they would disc tank.

It immediately fell apart because the warrior with a weighted axe + gleed's bow ripped aggro by proccing 3x in a row and moved the dragon off the melee and into AOE range of the archers. I suspect the damage bonus might also be adding for aggro purposes in addition to the proc aggro.

On the other hand, an Ogre Warrior using a Weighted Axe and Furious disc vs. Sontalak is a hillarous amount of burst DPS.

Toxigen
12-19-2023, 10:33 AM
bowquest

Jimjam
12-19-2023, 12:57 PM
On the other hand, an Ogre Warrior using a Weighted Axe and Furious disc vs. Sontalak is a hillarous amount of burst DPS.

His hit box is so big you can shoot bow while in melee range. You should feasibly be shooting a Dagarn's bow to maximise damage bonus autoattack (well range button spam) dps while the weighted axe maximises riposte dps.

(just theoryquesting)

Snaggles
12-19-2023, 01:43 PM
Bow of the Destroyer or even a Wind Saber/sarnak bow do fine dps but the arrow burn rate is just gross. I still want to disc with my Destroyer bow on Vindi but burning like 7 stacks in 2 mins won’t work well past a short fight. At currently I mainly just use for Lucan kills.

IMHO the sweet spot is that Velium bow damage/delay. Outside edge case situations of course where a Windstriker or Dagarn make sense.

Troxx
12-19-2023, 04:14 PM
https://wiki.project1999.com/Bow_of_the_Huntsman

I find it interesting that such an easy to attain bow performs so well. Since such a huge part of the per shot damage comes from the damage bonus of a slow 2hander, it will handily out-dps some bows with better ratios but higher delays. The proc, if not resisted, adds a noticeable jump over the white damage.

From a strict ratio standpoint, for general purpose use I’d argue primal/exquisite/priceless bows strike the best balance. Machine gun shots with the seb or bow of the destroyer would be fun, but the volume of arrow use has got to be ridiculous

Between soloing the wyrm on my shaman and then getting minimum faction dubious for a safe sneak turn-in, I think I spent right about an hour of time investment to get it.

If only double bow damage worked on rooted targets! :p

Crede
12-19-2023, 07:16 PM
There are tons of bug threads on this. Weighted axe dmg bonus is insane due to delay, bows shouldn’t be benefiting from this. Enjoy it while ya can.

Snaggles
12-19-2023, 09:46 PM
Yea but outside some meme pvp kills its not affecting anything. I don’t see warriors raid dpsing and even the discussion of a SK leveling with a skydarkener is painful to think about. Mine has been in the bank since two months after looting it.

For rangers a lot of stuff is rooted that shouldn’t be. Allegedly on live people got double damage hits on Yeli. It’s a fun server but there are some differences.

Troxx
12-20-2023, 12:06 PM
It does make me wish my warrior was a large race to use the weighted axe with his Gleed bow. Would have made soloing more interesting having bow shots that always hit for over 100 :p

Crede
12-20-2023, 12:08 PM
It does make me wish my warrior was a large race to use the weighted axe with his Gleed bow. Would have made soloing more interesting having bow shots that always hit for over 100 :p

I just rolled a barb warrior after this thread. No harm in starting new builds of the same class 😉

YendorLootmonkey
12-21-2023, 10:46 AM
Ranger is very gear dependent with certain items, sky cloak, good haste, good dps weapons makes a huge difference. Soloing is very very easy if you are geared on ranger with just straight up melee. they do get 91% self haste afterall and a variety of self procs., root, slow weapons, etc. Ac doesnt effect them but the toolkit, regen, 91% self haste, slows etc make leveling a ranger super easy with twinking.

Yeah, I used to quote that 91% as well, but I don't think it's true anymore... the effect on Dark Cloak of the Sky is "Haste". The Wiki shows Haste to cap out at 35% at L49:

https://wiki.project1999.com/Haste

I was like "Sure, but what about at L60?" then I clicked on the ref link:

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155457

Scroll down to Haste... if it's the same Haste that DCoS is using, the max went from 150 (50% presumably as we all remember it being) down to 135 (35% presumably):

Haste (o) updated atk speed max 150 => 135

Did DCoS get nerfed on P99 back in 2014? I guess a simple parse with/without would tell for sure but I am too lazy to even do that. :)

Or does it get un-nerfed later in the Velious timeline and no one updated the Wiki?

Or is it using a completely different Haste spell and it's still 50%?

Ripqozko
12-21-2023, 10:56 AM
Yeah, I used to quote that 91% as well, but I don't think it's true anymore... the effect on Dark Cloak of the Sky is "Haste". The Wiki shows Haste to cap out at 35% at L49:

https://wiki.project1999.com/Haste

I was like "Sure, but what about at L60?" then I clicked on the ref link:

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155457

Scroll down to Haste... if it's the same Haste that DCoS is using, the max went from 150 (50% presumably as we all remember it being) down to 135 (35% presumably):

Did DCoS get nerfed on P99 back in 2014? I guess a simple parse with/without would tell for sure but I am too lazy to even do that. :)

Or does it get un-nerfed later in the Velious timeline and no one updated the Wiki?

Or is it using a completely different Haste spell and it's still 50%?

It overwrites shaman haste which is 50% I don’t think it would if it were less

YendorLootmonkey
12-21-2023, 11:29 AM

Whew, good.

Gotze
12-21-2023, 06:45 PM

Is there like, a reason why AC doesn't effect them? Seems broken

Ripqozko
12-21-2023, 09:54 PM

Dunno motec thoroughly tested and it's what he found, just my years playing it hp and resi help the most, luckily rangers get great toolkits of high haste , Regen and slows with good dps

Snaggles
12-22-2023, 12:48 AM

It definitely overlaps Alacrity at 40%. Celerity at 50% blocks it but even if the same percent and no other benefits that holds true to EQ logic. 18 second buffs shouldn’t remove another spell of the same line and same percent effect.

Worst case 41%. Best case 50%.

Troxx
12-23-2023, 01:38 PM
Ho ho ho ... got a fungi tunic

So much easier now!

Troxx
12-23-2023, 03:23 PM
I forgot just how good fungis are … dayum

Crede
12-23-2023, 09:59 PM
Unfortunately rangers still get obliterated by kc mobs.

Jimjam
12-24-2023, 02:55 AM
Unfortunately rangers still get obliterated by kc mobs.

The spell AC seems to make a difference even if worn’t don’t.

Infectious
12-25-2023, 03:43 PM
Ranger are fun til around 53ish where mobs just start to kick your ass. A monk naked with a peacebringer is doing better then you geared out with a woodsman staff.

sammoHung
12-26-2023, 07:47 AM

Chain classes get much lower AC softcap than plate classes.

Toxigen
12-26-2023, 10:07 AM
Ranger are fun til around 53ish where mobs just start to kick your ass. A monk naked with a peacebringer is doing better then you geared out with a woodsman staff.

yeah mend / stone are helluva drugs

Crede
12-26-2023, 10:30 AM
yeah mend / stone are helluva drugs

Naw it’s monks block skill. Insanely op.

Snaggles
12-26-2023, 11:09 AM

That’s why you have root and a bow.

Jimjam
12-26-2023, 12:35 PM
Chain classes get much lower AC softcap than plate classes.

Not classic

Infectious
12-26-2023, 04:22 PM
That’s why you have root and a bow.

And watch the monk solo 3 mobs and bandage to 75% between each kill, while you bow kite a mob down for 5 minutes.

Jimjam
12-26-2023, 06:18 PM
And watch the monk solo 3 mobs and bandage to 75% between each kill, while you bow kite a mob down for 5 minutes.

Mindset issue.

Snaggles
12-27-2023, 09:25 AM

Life begins at 60. Who cares about the grind on any class?

Any melee can kill one blue every 7 mins and be ready for the respawn. Hope that helps.

Toxigen
12-27-2023, 09:34 AM
Life begins at 60.

For some. For others its when a new alt begins.

Rangers suck unless twinked to the absolute max...and even then an EC tunnel monk is far better.

Crede
12-27-2023, 10:02 AM
Life begins at 60. Who cares about the grind on any class?

Any melee can kill one blue every 7 mins and be ready for the respawn. Hope that helps.

Yea I disagree who cares about 60. The fun for me is exploring different builds and places and forming small groups and meeting people along the way.

Velious was beaten in kunark gear so raiding is essentially just mageloquesting.

Snaggles
12-27-2023, 10:11 AM
People can have fun in dungeons at 60. Or try solo kills. Or help others. It doesn’t have to be raiding. Also if you are grouping up the whole solo beast class thing doesn’t matter at all…monk or whatever.

Im about to hit 60 for the 7th time. My only point is level 53 doesn’t mean anything (it’s not hard). Also any ranger with moderately good EC gear isn’t even slowing down at that point. HK nobles are dark blue as are bards…

sammoHung
12-27-2023, 10:59 AM
Naw it’s monks block skill. Insanely op.

Yep. Block procs close to twice as much as parry. I think theres some hidden mechanic tied with weight, but block isOP regardless

Toxigen
12-27-2023, 11:08 AM
People can have fun in dungeons at 60.

This is true. We did a drunken 6 man of 60s mostly BiS King group years back. Camped out by the archway area where some juggs spawn and pulled King from the back side. We had a couple juggs, some spores, and a fungi king in camp at one point and I thought that was going to be the end of us.

Good times.

Crede
12-27-2023, 12:24 PM
For some. For others its when a new alt begins.

Rangers suck unless twinked to the absolute max...and even then an EC tunnel monk is far better.

This is an unfortunate reality for rangers, no matter how much you spend you will still just get annihilated around lvl 53 when mobs power spikes. I’d be curious going around on a bis ranger to see how they do but sounds like ac is broken for them regardless.

Gozuk
12-27-2023, 01:15 PM
At the end of the day Rangers are still a really fun class even with all of their weaknesses. They have good fashionquest and a lot of extra utility.

I had a lot of fun leveling mine up and since hitting 60 I've mainly used to him to farm random items or vendor trash for extra plat. He's at his best when killing green mobs and that's Ok because he's the most fun to do it on.

Snaggles
12-27-2023, 05:21 PM
This is an unfortunate reality for rangers, no matter how much you spend you will still just get annihilated around lvl 53 when mobs power spikes. I’d be curious going around on a bis ranger to see how they do but sounds like ac is broken for them regardless.

Like soloing low level blues toe to toe? BiS rangers outside bows and BFG’s have access to 91% self haste, 1.18 ratio 2h’s, and two 50% slow proc options you can even root joust until it lands. Later on, in Chardok half the mobs near the ent and zone out can be fear kited.

Troxx
12-27-2023, 08:57 PM
Well I’m nearing 54 now and to be honest do not feel weak or underpowered. Certainly it doesn’t feel “too powerful” like the monk did. The total toolkit is good for getting the job done efficiently and without much actual difficulty. What the Ranger lacks in sturdiness it makes up for in the ability to break off direct combat and either heal up or kill by alternate means.

Tankiness: B- to C+
DPS: B
Utility: A-
Buffs: B
Gameplay fun: A+

Crede
12-27-2023, 11:08 PM
Well I’m nearing 54 now and to be honest do not feel weak or underpowered. Certainly it doesn’t feel “too powerful” like the monk did. The total toolkit is good for getting the job done efficiently and without much actual difficulty. What the Ranger lacks in sturdiness it makes up for in the ability to break off direct combat and either heal up or kill by alternate means.

I made a post a few years ago about the most fun class at 60 when evaluating All aspects of the game. Interestingly ranger had the most votes followed by bards.

sammoHung
12-29-2023, 10:59 AM

Agreed with this, also playing ranger, also level 54. There's a cool overlap between monk and ranger with gameplay fun, as both are incredibly fun -- and then theres places where the monk shines and the ranger lacks, and vice versa.

Where have you been hunting at? I've been planted in KC pretty much since level 52, log in for an hour or two for a short group. pretty decent exp this way, and fun to pull KC

Troxx
12-30-2023, 01:15 AM
I’ve been in the same area. I scored a Tolan’s bracer a while back so I’ve been slumming a lot outside in Dreadlands. A decent group in KC is faster xp but sometimes I enjoy being antisocial and playing a more relaxed pace.

Call me crazy but I actually do enjoy bowing things down … even though it can be slow. It’s a nice change of pace from all the other classes I’ve played.

After this toon hits 60 I’ll have played em all to level cap other than enchanter, wiz, rogue and sk.

They’ve all been fun in their own way. If I’m brutally honest, I think I may have actually enjoyed monk least of all of them so far. This isn’t to say the monk class isn’t really damn powerful, mind you … I just honestly have enjoyed it the least.

Snaggles
12-30-2023, 06:59 AM
It’s not the fastest but it’s not slow as you pointed out. I definitely found if reliable and refreshing to be able to log on, kill half a dozen spawns, and log whenever needed. The bracer opens up a lot of options. While rotting a 4k+ hp npc isn’t quick it’s easier than meleeing one.

You have a 2h and some SCHW’s or something? Fleeting quiver?

Troxx
12-30-2023, 08:43 AM
Yeah I have a seahorse belt for haste, 20/30 Bow of the Huntsman, Fleeting Quiver, tolans bracer from a bow kiting standpoint. Weapons include an Argent Protector, Swarmcaller/Natures-wrath (thanks Jimjam), Wurmslayer, 11/20 1hb and 10/20 piercer. I traded in my monk’s TStaff for an IFS and a Fungi which I gave to the ranger to use.

All in all I’d say my gear is really good for current level as long as you ignore the raid alt twinks out there.

My least favorite part of grouping is loading gamparse. It makes me sad to be doing such “meh” damage. No amount of skill or try-hard is gonna make those numbers be better.

Snaggles
12-30-2023, 11:26 AM
Ah the AP is good for bowquest. Outside a fleeting quiver if you see a cheap 30 damage velium bow it’s worth picking up to rot stuff just for sake of burning less arrows. I love the Huntsman and other quick ones but every extra stack used is a 30 second click at the end.

At some point parsing won’t be that bad. When you consider the other utility you add. Getting to 60 is the real secret though. Having two solid discs and the spells really makes the class. Even 55+ gets much better with Trueshot and Chloro.

Jimjam
12-30-2023, 11:35 AM
Chloro, skin like nature, thorncoat all amazing spells imo.

Troxx
12-30-2023, 11:46 AM
Ah the AP is good for bowquest. Outside a fleeting quiver if you see a cheap 30 damage velium bow it’s worth picking up to rot stuff just for sake of burning less arrows. I love the Huntsman and other quick ones but every extra stack used is a 30 second click at the end.

At some point parsing won’t be that bad. When you consider the other utility you add. Getting to 60 is the real secret though. Having two solid discs and the spells really makes the class. Even 55+ gets much better with Trueshot and Chloro.

Yeah I'm planning on getting one (a 30+ dmg velium bow) eventually. It can be mildly annoying to have that proc break root so much but it does good damage. Roots make up most of my mana expenditure when bow rotting. I know it's not necessary (can always back up and shoot) but I enjoy being lazy.

But yes, I'm a freshly dinged 54 ranger with EC gear. Parsing ain't gonna be stellar in groups. Each level towards 60 should have a big impact ... especially levels 55+ when rangers get some innate attack.

I am curious and will parse it out when i'm 60 whether or not the increased attack compensates for the lack of triple attack with a main-hand 2hander on my 60 war.

Ripqozko
12-30-2023, 01:41 PM
Yeah I'm planning on getting one (a 30+ dmg velium bow) eventually. It can be mildly annoying to have that proc break root so much but it does good damage. Roots make up most of my mana expenditure when bow rotting. I know it's not necessary (can always back up and shoot) but I enjoy being lazy.

But yes, I'm a freshly dinged 54 ranger with EC gear. Parsing ain't gonna be stellar in groups. Each level towards 60 should have a big impact ... especially levels 55+ when rangers get some innate attack.

I am curious and will parse it out when i'm 60 whether or not the increased attack compensates for the lack of triple attack with a main-hand 2hander on my 60 war.

A good ranger will parse decent with just straight melee, I usually outparse most with disc and above ec level monks in straight melee

Toxigen
12-30-2023, 02:34 PM
dont worry about parsing just use your kit / be helpful...games roaring towards being 3 decades old all is left are the elves behind the keys

Snaggles
12-30-2023, 02:41 PM
Yea raid geared I have the same experience as Rip.

Prior with a 10/18 and Swiftwind I was on par with most knights and aggro weapon warriors. Prob about 10-15% behind warriors if using a reaver. Monks and rogues will be 50-100% up depending on gear.

That said, Trueshot under certain circumstances is still solid even if no BFG. Exquisite Velium bow, Earthshaker, fleeting quiver, 8dmg arrows. Outdoors can even gwolf form which is like 40% of Avatar. I’d prob bow plunk if not raid geared, at least until the disc runs dry. Even with Tolan arrows if the npc isn’t rooted or moving it’s solid dps.

Troxx
12-30-2023, 03:15 PM
dont worry about parsing just use your kit / be helpful...games roaring towards being 3 decades old all is left are the elves behind the keys

Yeah I had a great time earlier today in a 4-man. Lower level warrior who had a hard time holding aggro, cleric and rog. We lacked CC and I got to fill that role. We had the rog pulling with me snare/root peeling adds and keeping primary rob rooted whenever possible to help warrior aggro.

My dps might not yet be great but there's about eleventy billion other ways a ranger can make themselves useful.

Snaggles
12-30-2023, 03:27 PM
True, a lot of a rangers contribution isn’t seen on a parse. Even outside fire nukes and call of sky/fire for interupts giving the tank a DS, Call of Earth, Attack buffs, etc. I always found it interesting people who trashed on their dps still ask for CoTP and if applicable SoN.

Ripqozko
12-30-2023, 03:43 PM
True, a lot of a rangers contribution isn’t seen on a parse. Even outside fire nukes and call of sky/fire for interupts giving the tank a DS, Call of Earth, Attack buffs, etc. I always found it interesting people who trashed on their dps still ask for CoTP and if applicable SoN.

And In kunark with no rooted dragons we still parse high, was number 2 when I died at 6% on nexona in riot couple weeks ago.

/GU Nexona in 61s, 34914 @572 | Taylur 5022@(89 in 56s) {X} | Ripqozko 4934@(89 in 55s) {X} | Rrocco 4652@(84 in 55s) | Loci 4077@(72 in 56s) | Kanick 3502@(76 in 46s) {X} | Ayeoh 3333@(66 in 50s) | Razorscale 2688@(61 in 44s) {X} | Vuhdoor 2515@(66 in 38s) {X} | Zieros 1420@(34 in 41s) {X} | Bombargo 1215@(27 in 45s) {X} | Hogwallup 938@(17 in 54s) | Kibann 386@(14 in 26s) | Aletha 180@(8 in 21s) | Linyah 32@(32 in 1s) | Zealvatar 13@(13 in 1s) {X}

Without the root breaking our disc we would parse higher .

Snaggles
12-30-2023, 04:25 PM
Yea totally. For burndowns like that not saving bump makes a lot of sense. I need to parse my dagarn sometime on a short fight when everyone is clawing for aggro.

Toxigen
01-02-2024, 02:16 PM
Yeah I had a great time earlier today in a 4-man. Lower level warrior who had a hard time holding aggro, cleric and rog. We lacked CC and I got to fill that role. We had the rog pulling with me snare/root peeling adds and keeping primary rob rooted whenever possible to help warrior aggro.

My dps might not yet be great but there's about eleventy billion other ways a ranger can make themselves useful.

on paper thats a garbage 4 man so its nice when things work well just by playing properly

were you being a good little ranger and using your swarmcaller too?

Jimjam
01-02-2024, 02:44 PM
on paper thats a garbage 4 man so its nice when things work well just by playing properly

were you being a good little ranger and using Jimjam's swarmcaller too?

I sure hope so!

Snaggles
01-02-2024, 07:27 PM
I rebought a Swarmcaller. Seldom do I root/joust until a proc triggers but with the EC that’s painful.

Toxigen
01-03-2024, 10:08 AM
I rebought a Swarmcaller. Seldom do I root/joust until a proc triggers but with the EC that’s painful.

swarmcaller opens up a lot of options duo tho

Jimjam
01-03-2024, 10:14 AM

Yeah, it is great to hand off to the enc or necro charm pet.

Snaggles
01-03-2024, 10:57 AM

Yea I mean I have an Earthcaller but got a swarmcaller again for certain situations. Like wanting to slow but not swap out Dw back to 2h every mob.

Toxigen
01-03-2024, 11:26 AM
Yea I mean I have an Earthcaller but got a swarmcaller again for certain situations. Like wanting to slow but not swap out Dw back to 2h every mob.

i would think once youve got earthcaller the swarmcaller is doneski and headed for your enchanter alt

Troxx
01-03-2024, 06:21 PM
Swarmcaller solo I’ve found useful when soloing the harder spectrum dark blues for sure. For the easier dark blues or xp greens the procs can be spotty enough that I lose less health by just keeping the actual dps 2 hander loaded from the start.

It has been quite useful in duos/trios or very weird composition groups with less than ideal healing potential. The dps from it isn’t terrible to be honest and scoring an early proc takes a big bite out of the whallop mobs pack.

If I had an earthcaller, I honestly don’t think id keep it around in my bags though.

Other update: got myself a woodsman’s staff finally. It’s a parseable dps upgrade over argent protector and the faster swing speed makes the dps much more consistent and predictable.

Dps average is definitely up and the dps “range” any given fight tightens compared to the 49 delay AP.

Once I find an earthshaker for use with now for sale, I’ll be selling AP or tossing it in the bank for a future SK alt.

Ripqozko
01-03-2024, 06:48 PM
i would think once youve got earthcaller the swarmcaller is doneski and headed for your enchanter alt

1h dps is trash compared to 2h tho, makes sense to use swarmcaller still if ya have a good 2h and haste

Troxx
01-03-2024, 08:18 PM
1h dps is trash compared to 2h tho, makes sense to use swarmcaller still if ya have a good 2h and haste

True ... but if you have both epics one might could make the case that it's better to use that combo over Swarmcaller if you don't mind the extra weapon swap clicks

Then again I've seen some napkin math that puts the dps output of swarmcaller in the upper 50s and 60s right about the same dps as epic weapon combo. I don't know to be honest ... I'd have to parse it myself.

For now I'm rocking Spiked Seahorse belt haste.

Snaggles
01-03-2024, 08:48 PM
Frankly I just got on a whim for easy swaps from the Cek. Joust-slowing actually works pretty good if not using DW.

My new comp has Windows11 which for some reason isn’t working well with my Gameparse. If I can fix this I’ll test Swarmcaller with Gauntlets of Dragonslaying vs Earthcaller and Swiftwind/Claw of Lightning. I expect its not too far off.

Dual ranger epics is a nice Bingo card achievement and has nice stats. Swarmcaller though is quite underrated for 1kpp.

Troxx
01-03-2024, 09:04 PM
gamparse is working ok for me on windows 11 ... i can't remember if i had to do anything in particular to get it to work

And yes. Swarmcaller isn't actually bad dps and the proc is badass. Probably one of the best if not THE BEST weapons for the cost involved. The warrior equivalent is much much more expensive.

On my 60 warrior, these days I only keep 3 weapons in my bags: Frostreaver for all purpose use, Truncheon for slow, and a lower dps but lower threat 2h for dps on raids (which I don't do these days anyways).

Tann
01-07-2024, 12:55 PM
Hopped back on ranger recently, CT pyramid is great so far. I've got a mediocre set of melee gear that travels between toons, no fungi or ikky bp, but I can comfortably kill about 5-6 before needing to chill by the clay golem spawn to rest up. Some lizards starting to turn light blue at 42 but still at least 1% per kill.

If you stand right by the entrance to the pyramid area, just a smidge inside the maze part, then only have to worry about the mob healing itself.. seems to be just out of range for the wall hax healing.

Toxigen
01-08-2024, 10:53 AM
Hopped back on ranger recently, CT pyramid is great so far. I've got a mediocre set of melee gear that travels between toons, no fungi or ikky bp, but I can comfortably kill about 5-6 before needing to chill by the clay golem spawn to rest up. Some lizards starting to turn light blue at 42 but still at least 1% per kill.

If you stand right by the entrance to the pyramid area, just a smidge inside the maze part, then only have to worry about the mob healing itself.. seems to be just out of range for the wall hax healing.

yesssss

CT is so good

that will take you to 44 easily, maybe 45

Troxx
01-08-2024, 03:40 PM
Update!

2% from level 56. 55 has been so much easier and more fun than 54. I find that I can often solo as fast if not faster than a *full* group. Duo/trio is much better but this is the first level on the power curve that I find full groups to be less efficient. The Ranger is just bringing enough umph to the table that I don’t really need that group to help carry me along.

Call of fire is a stout upgrade and really mana efficient dmg. 2x procs per minute average for spell buff proc at 65dd per proc for 10 minutes … for 50 mana. Hard to beat that as it’s a potential 1300 dmg on average over that 10 minutes if I’m always in combat - 26 damage pet mana. Solo it’s probably closer to half that in terms of efficiency between pull tome, recovery time, and time spent plunking arrows. I do wish their was a group friendly version of this spell that didn’t have a stun. Mana efficiency tanks if procs require I cast jolt. Depending on the group, I find myself not using it.

The real game changer is being able to chloroplast myself.

54 was, comparatively, a pain. No regen spell to cast and each extra level at this point changes the power curve from a damage incoming and damage output standpoint.

Ravishing drolvs and KC zone trash is now very doable. With an early swarmcaller proc toe to toe is easy. Minimal to mild/moderate downtime with only self buffs. With outside buffs downtime is either not there or really brief.

If procs are stingy I still find myself rooting the mob to back off and get some bow shots in.

Very fun. Excited to mem greater wolf form later today after work.

Toxigen
01-08-2024, 03:55 PM
Update!

2% from level 56. 55 has been so much easier and more fun than 54. I find that I can often solo as fast if not faster than a *full* group. Duo/trio is much better but this is the first level on the power curve that I find full groups to be less efficient. The Ranger is just bringing enough umph to the table that I don’t really need that group to help carry me along.

Call of fire is a stout upgrade and really mana efficient dmg. 2x procs per minute average for spell buff proc at 65dd per proc for 10 minutes … for 50 mana. Hard to beat that as it’s a potential 1300 dmg on average over that 10 minutes if I’m always in combat - 26 damage pet mana. Solo it’s probably closer to half that in terms of efficiency between pull tome, recovery time, and time spent plunking arrows. I do wish their was a group friendly version of this spell that didn’t have a stun. Mana efficiency tanks if procs require I cast jolt. Depending on the group, I find myself not using it.

The real game changer is being able to chloroplast myself.

54 was, comparatively, a pain. No regen spell to cast and each extra level at this point changes the power curve from a damage incoming and damage output standpoint.

Ravishing drolvs and KC zone trash is now very doable. With an early swarmcaller proc toe to toe is easy. Minimal to mild/moderate downtime with only self buffs. With outside buffs downtime is either not there or really brief.

If procs are stingy I still find myself rooting the mob to back off and get some bow shots in.

Very fun. Excited to mem greater wolf form later today after work.

If you can at least get like a necro to duo with you're all set.

Sheeeeeiiiit. Making me want to dust off my necro. I haven't played in 2 years.

Jimjam
01-08-2024, 04:51 PM
Yea that 55+ ranger / nec combo really compliment each other well. It is like 3 dps slots split between 2 players. Yummy.

Troxx
01-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Awww ding 56 and shits all green in DL including most of the Ravs

Guess I gotta put my big girl panties on and move along

WarpathEQ
01-09-2024, 06:44 PM
Once the DL/KC entrance fell off I moved over to BW and did the Sarnaks in the fort area leading up to the Chardok zone in. Found them to be similar difficulty but better for exp from 56-60. I would solo outside when I couldn't find people to group up with inside for Chardok CE and that was on a rogue so I assume will be very doable for your ranger.

Troxx
01-09-2024, 08:21 PM
Oh cool I hadn’t thought of that location. I’ll have to look into it

Troxx
01-10-2024, 10:08 PM
So I've been looking at buying an earthshaker. p99 Wiki is usually pretty accurate.

Now, it has been 8 months since the last update but I'm seeing them consistently around 3k but I just had an EC folk on blue try to sell it for 15k.

Is the wiki that off for the modern era?
Is he smoking crack?
Am I smoking crack?

Patiently awaiting intelligent replies :D

Vivitron
01-10-2024, 11:42 PM
So I've been looking at buying an earthshaker. p99 Wiki is usually pretty accurate.

Now, it has been 8 months since the last update but I'm seeing them consistently around 3k but I just had an EC folk on blue try to sell it for 15k.

Is he smoking crack?
Am I smoking crack?

Pigparse seems to have more recent data than the wiki for most auctions; https://pigparse.azurewebsites.net/ItemDetails/15937. That shows recently more WTB than WTS, including a recent WTB @ 10k and 15k. Looking at green, people are asking 15-20k. Seems like a legit price to me, but I'm not a big trader.

Tunnel quest discord is another good place to check for info, and you can subscribe to a discord notification when there's a WTS. https://discord.gg/mU85VVMB

Snaggles
01-11-2024, 12:22 AM
I don’t think I’d sweat the extra 10 extra damage bonus over an OT mallet or similar (at 55). Just make sure you don’t swing without swapping, lol.

Fleeting quiver, worn haste, Tolan bracer, 30+ damage bow, a slow 2h. That’s the basic kit which can always be tweaked a bit. Any 2h will be less arrows than a DW bow combo and thus less painful grinding.

Troxx
01-12-2024, 01:07 PM
Pigparse seems to have more recent data than the wiki for most auctions; https://pigparse.azurewebsites.net/ItemDetails/15937. That shows recently more WTB than WTS, including a recent WTB @ 10k and 15k. Looking at green, people are asking 15-20k. Seems like a legit price to me, but I'm not a big trader.

Tunnel quest discord is another good place to check for info, and you can subscribe to a discord notification when there's a WTS. https://discord.gg/mU85VVMB

Thanks much for the information and the resource

DeathsSilkyMist
01-12-2024, 04:28 PM

Is he smoking crack?
Am I smoking crack?

3k for Earthshaker (at least on blue) was the standard from what I remember. Think I sold mine for around that amount a year ago.

They are fairly rare in terms of actually being sold in EC, so this may just be an attempt to hike prices. If there are only a few records of 10k+ sales, me thinks it's a scam.

For some reason my memory is telling me that people do Master Yael less often for some reason, like a patch update that made him harder or something. If that is the case, perhaps that is the cause for the price increases. Less drops due to less kills. But I would take this with a grain of salt, I don't have anything to back this up.

Ripqozko
01-12-2024, 10:39 PM
Its been going up 15k+ because of both bowquest being popular and the need for it for proc FTEing. earthshaker gives you better chance at 350 insta fte.

Troxx
01-13-2024, 08:49 PM
earthshaker gives you better chance at 350 insta fte.

/facepalm

I mean ... it makes sense with the raid scene being as broken as it is here ... but

/facepalm

Ripqozko
01-13-2024, 09:07 PM
/facepalm

I mean ... it makes sense with the raid scene being as broken as it is here ... but

/facepalm

i mean we can facepalm all we want, but slower weapon you are holder the better chance at procs and it works for your bows. sky bow +earthshaker is good chance you will insta fte at 350.

Keebz
01-13-2024, 11:00 PM
I wonder what the proc chance is with something like Weighted Axe

Ripqozko
01-13-2024, 11:14 PM
I wonder what the proc chance is with something like Weighted Axe

Good except ranger can't equip, ranger sky now is 200+ proc chance. Other classes can get 200 as well not sure about with proc tho. Aow for instance is only 180. Also no bind sight.

Keebz
01-14-2024, 02:21 AM
Yea, no bind sight hurts, but not strictly necessary to race. I raced on my monk all the time.

As for proc rates, I just did some very half-assed testing and I was procing 30-40% of the time with Weighted Axe, 0% haste (unequiped my items) and 255 dex. To napkin math it, I'm guessing there's a linear relationship with delay and 10 delay is something like 60 swings a minute. So Weighted Axe clocks in at an expected 3 swing a minute, therefore 33% chance of proc per arrow. Earthshaker at 70 delay would be a around a 14% chance. Assuming the above holds, trading some range for a > 2x chance of instant proc seems reasonable.

Sorry to derail the thread, but another thought... Sky Darkener + Weighted Axe could enable SK quadding at 35. Should be over 4 procs a minute and the arrows themselves doing decent damage due to the damage bonus.

Of course, my assumptions might not hold, but it's fun to theory quest.

PatChapp
01-14-2024, 08:02 AM
3k for Earthshaker (at least on blue) was the standard from what I remember. Think I sold mine for around that amount a year ago.

They are fairly rare in terms of actually being sold in EC, so this may just be an attempt to hike prices. If there are only a few records of 10k+ sales, me thinks it's a scam.

For some reason my memory is telling me that people do Master Yael less often for some reason, like a patch update that made him harder or something. If that is the case, perhaps that is the cause for the price increases. Less drops due to less kills. But I would take this with a grain of salt, I don't have anything to back this up.

Not sure about blue but Yael is very popular on green for the ore. He's at least usually killed within an hour or 2 of spawn.
We do him a lot but the shaker is very rare.
Maybe the shoulders aren't as popular on blue?

Ripqozko
01-14-2024, 09:37 AM
Yea, no bind sight hurts, but not strictly necessary to race. I raced on my monk all the time.

As for proc rates, I just did some very half-assed testing and I was procing 30-40% of the time with Weighted Axe, 0% haste (unequiped my items) and 255 dex. To napkin math it, I'm guessing there's a linear relationship with delay and 10 delay is something like 60 swings a minute. So Weighted Axe clocks in at an expected 3 swing a minute, therefore 33% chance of proc per arrow. Earthshaker at 70 delay would be a around a 14% chance. Assuming the above holds, trading some range for a > 2x chance of instant proc seems reasonable.

Sorry to derail the thread, but another thought... Sky Darkener + Weighted Axe could enable SK quadding at 35. Should be over 4 procs a minute and the arrows themselves doing decent damage due to the damage bonus.

Of course, my assumptions might not hold, but it's fun to theory quest.

the issue more is do the non rangers have a 200 proccing bow, i dont remember. so weighted axe wouldnt help in this case

DeathsSilkyMist
01-14-2024, 12:50 PM
Not sure about blue but Yael is very popular on green for the ore. He's at least usually killed within an hour or 2 of spawn.
We do him a lot but the shaker is very rare.
Maybe the shoulders aren't as popular on blue?

Good to know! Then my memory is probably wrong. I am sure the shoulders are camped regularly on blue too. It's a great item. I never bothered with the shoulders personally, so I am not really paying attention to when the relevant mobs are killed.

If the raid scene has been using Earthshaker as Ripqozko suggests, that is probably the real reason for the price increase.

Salaryman
01-14-2024, 09:05 PM
So they are abusing the bowquest bug to cheese raid mobs on the n00b servers? the Plot thickens. And I have Guardian Robe.
Death Silky Mist can we get some paragraphs or a novel on this topic please, ogres make the best shamans here on red btw.

Snaggles
01-15-2024, 07:56 AM
So they are abusing the bowquest bug to cheese raid mobs on the n00b servers? the Plot thickens. And I have Guardian Robe.
Death Silky Mist can we get some paragraphs or a novel on this topic please, ogres make the best shamans here on red btw.

Cheese raid mobs how so? During esoteric races where a bow might occasionally outrage a 200 clickie? There is still a lot of skill needed and that’s a coin toss to if the proc even happens.

If you’re talking via DPS: No. Keeping up with mid tier rogues for 2 mins every 72 takes the best stuff, some of which like the BFG was removed from the game long ago. It only works on half the raid mobs that aren’t rooted thanks to another “raid fix” that’s custom to p99. Meme dps is exactly that and PVP is at best and afterthought in this game. Look at Red server…

As for warriors weighted axe bow dps’ing level 66+ dragons and giants? I highly doubt it. The top guilds have mountains of rogue bots and bane wizards.

Ripqozko
01-15-2024, 10:57 AM
Cheese raid mobs how so? During esoteric races where a bow might occasionally outrage a 200 clickie? There is still a lot of skill needed and that’s a coin toss to if the proc even happens.

If you’re talking via DPS: No. Keeping up with mid tier rogues for 2 mins every 72 takes the best stuff, some of which like the BFG was removed from the game long ago. It only works on half the raid mobs that aren’t rooted thanks to another “raid fix” that’s custom to p99. Meme dps is exactly that and PVP is at best and afterthought in this game. Look at Red server…

As for warriors weighted axe bow dps’ing level 66+ dragons and giants? I highly doubt it. The top guilds have mountains of rogue bots and bane wizards.

350 range even with flight time will outdo a 200 click, ie: on motg. 350 insta with proc obv will beat the flight time.

Snaggles
01-15-2024, 02:33 PM
350 range even with flight time will outdo a 200 click, ie: on motg. 350 insta with proc obv will beat the flight time.

Outside MOTG and a 1st shot proc what other races will a 200 range bow and 150 range arrows beat a thin bone wand?

Ripqozko
01-15-2024, 03:49 PM
Outside MOTG and a 1st shot proc what other races will a 200 range bow and 150 range arrows beat a thin bone wand?

sev
Tuna if theres ever a race again (it tech could be)

Jimjam
01-15-2024, 03:57 PM
S ro AC maybe?

Keebz
01-15-2024, 05:15 PM
S ro AC maybe?

/nod

Salaryman
01-15-2024, 06:54 PM

the entire game was an "afterthought" they expected to all lose their jobs after it released. Do you really think they would make a game where u can attack any npc but not other players?

Snaggles
01-15-2024, 07:24 PM
the entire game was an "afterthought" they expected to all lose their jobs after it released. Do you really think they would make a game where u can attack any npc but not other players?

I’m confused what you are talking about but apparently that makes two of us.

Typically “bowquest” as a topic is related to dmg bonus pvp. As that’s been the drive for pages now as Troxx is looking for an Earthshaker I assumed you meant as much.

There is nothing Troxx or anyone can or can’t do without an Earthshaker. It’s an almost a nonexistent bump in bow dps and a tool for racers.

Toxigen
01-15-2024, 07:44 PM
dont worry about him hes a turbonerd for red

Troxx
01-16-2024, 10:29 AM
I’m confused what you are talking about but apparently that makes two of us.

Typically “bowquest” as a topic is related to dmg bonus pvp. As that’s been the drive for pages now as Troxx is looking for an Earthshaker I assumed you meant as much.

There is nothing Troxx or anyone can or can’t do without an Earthshaker. It’s an almost a nonexistent bump in bow dps and a tool for racers.

Almost nonexistent? At 55 it’s 10 more damage per shot at 70 delay compared to 49 delay. Average non-crit bow hit for me is like 50. That’s a 20% bump in averages bow damage.

But yes you are correct about everything else.

7thGate
01-16-2024, 11:38 AM

Dozekar can be shot at 350 range, as can Statue (though that's not a race currently). Sev, Gore maybe if you ran with a Bard but probably only with a 1st shot proc and extremely tight timing due to the faster run speed engage, so probably not in practice. Talendor and Faydedar, but guaranteed noone cares enough about racing them that hard. That's all that I can think of, at least, everything else I can think of you get sight line much closer than 350.

I don't think anyone is actually doing any of that though, at least as far as I know.

7thGate
01-16-2024, 11:42 AM
I would guess the price increase is due to Rangers looking to optimize bow damage since its BIS mainhand for bow DPS.

There are limited raid uses, but people do archery in raid situations; I've watched Kittens archery Zlex a bunch of times, Rangers routinely archery glimmer drakes, there's other cases where a ranger might reasonably choose to bow instead of melee like Klandicar. Its not critical, but its enough that you probably want an Earthshaker if you're a ranger and you're gearing up, its a decent part of the kit.

Its also going to be used by leveling rangers doing bow rotting, which is probably also increasing demand to up the price.

Toxigen
01-16-2024, 11:49 AM
I don't know much about rangers so pardon my ignorance but why would an earthshaker be a FTE tool?

7thGate
01-16-2024, 12:02 PM
I don't know much about rangers so pardon my ignorance but why would an earthshaker be a FTE tool?

It looks like the proc rate is driven off the mainhand delay just like the damage bonus is, which means you use a 7 second delay instead of 6 on Windstriker. That marginally increases the chance you proc, which aggros instantly instead of having to wait for the arrow to fly to the target.

Toxigen
01-16-2024, 12:09 PM
It looks like the proc rate is driven off the mainhand delay just like the damage bonus is, which means you use a 7 second delay instead of 6 on Windstriker. That marginally increases the chance you proc, which aggros instantly instead of having to wait for the arrow to fly to the target.

gotcha

so do we have a bunch of rangers sitting on the line dueling enc / shaman keeping them slowed? lol

just thinking back to OT hammers and what not...had a lot more first swing procs when slowed

Troxx
01-16-2024, 03:37 PM
With 49 delay my gleed bow procs like crazy. An extra delay of 21 would see a lot higher percentage chance at proc.

Large races trying to FTE with a bow proc and a weighted axe is likely ludicrous. Without any haste and max dex it should proc like every other shot.

Salaryman
01-16-2024, 11:41 PM
Toxigen it apears as if its YOU who has no idea what WE are talking about as you admitted yourself, with your contemptuous avatar you would be kicked out of any real life social gathering making facial expresions like that. Go back to ur moms house.

Snaggles
01-17-2024, 12:09 AM
Almost nonexistent? At 55 it’s 10 more damage per shot at 70 delay compared to 49 delay. Average non-crit bow hit for me is like 50. That’s a 20% bump in averages bow damage.

But yes you are correct about everything else.

I’m not knocking them. I have two. I’m saying comparatively on a Velium bow it’s a slight bump over an OT mallet. On a dagarn and capped haste it’s a big deal.

Enjoy the grind and get a Velium bow. Thats the bottleneck at the moment. And finding stuff that won’t break your index finger to rot.

Toxigen
01-17-2024, 01:27 PM
Toxigen it apears as if its YOU who has no idea what WE are talking about as you admitted yourself, with your contemptuous avatar you would be kicked out of any real life social gathering making facial expresions like that. Go back to ur moms house.

lmao ok mr red nobody

Troxx
01-17-2024, 03:44 PM

So much salt!

Snaggles
01-17-2024, 10:18 PM
lol “real life social gathering”. Looks like you picked a fight with an AI chat bot.

SewingMachine
01-22-2024, 11:20 PM
Troxx, What path did you take did you write it down right now i am 15 in Unrest would love to know the path you took i have about the same gear same class.

Troxx
01-23-2024, 12:03 AM
Troxx, What path did you take did you write it down right now i am 15 in Unrest would love to know the path you took i have about the same gear same class.

I didn’t write it down. I think I catalogued it over the course of the thread though.

I think the most enjoyable part (for me at least) was doing the karanas (mostly south) starting around 20 until around 30.

Wide open spaces, tracking my kills, hunting aviaks etc

I hit 57 over the weekend. Am enjoying that 270hp hea over the piddly 100hp heal that came before it.

SewingMachine
01-25-2024, 12:10 PM
I didn’t write it down. I think I catalogued it over the course of the thread though.

I think the most enjoyable part (for me at least) was doing the karanas (mostly south) starting around 20 until around 30.

Wide open spaces, tracking my kills, hunting aviaks etc

I hit 57 over the weekend. Am enjoying that 270hp hea over the piddly 100hp heal that came before it.

I just hit 20 going to do Karanas I assume you just tracked blues and repeat

Troxx
01-30-2024, 08:15 PM
I just hit 20 going to do Karanas I assume you just tracked blues and repeat

Yes a combination of that and aviak camps (mostly aviaks)

Question for those who may know: I have the head from WL for Helm of the Tracker. ANyone have any idea what the MQ of the 3 heads from kael would cost me?

PatChapp
01-30-2024, 09:01 PM
Yes a combination of that and aviak camps (mostly aviaks)

Question for those who may know: I have the head from WL for Helm of the Tracker. ANyone have any idea what the MQ of the 3 heads from kael would cost me?

I've seen the croissant hat full mq for 10,and the overseer being killed for you so probably around that. On green though

Troxx
02-27-2024, 08:47 PM
Now almost halfway through 58.

-stacking a 25pt self DS is nice (no clicks or pots)
-self regen 10/tick + fungi is legit
-slows with swarmcaller followed by woodsman staff is excellent
-decent dps with 34% worn haste

I'm McLuvin' it.
A+ fun.
Would recommend.

I can now solo xp better than a great full group. Comparable to a decent trio/quad. Best remains a duo with a complementary class assuming there are enough mobs to find up and pull.

Troxx
02-27-2024, 09:13 PM
I gotta say worst part is greater wolf form. I hate being a dog. I hate barking. If there was any fucking way to get the attack and movement speed buffs without being a dog that would be great.

I am NOT opposed to client side hacks :p