PDA

View Full Version : SSF Rogue - best possible gear

eqravenprince
08-21-2023, 10:03 AM
Looking for opinions on what the best possible gear you can get on a SSF Rogue. I've only done research on weapons so far, let me know if you think better weapons are possible. Would like opinions on armor too if anyone has already done research. Certainly a full set of blackened alloy from runnyeye. Not sure if sacrificing AC for other stats like Str or HP is worth it or not.

Piercing - Gloomwater Harpoon
1hb - Iksar Berserker Club
1hs - Coldain Velium-Pick

Snaggles
08-21-2023, 10:49 AM
I must not fully understand the SSF game. I assumed this was literally solo. If so killing the fierce impeller in Kedge is going to be an adventure without poison and clickies. Even grouped, on level, it’s not easy so you would have to find a group of fellow misfits.

eqravenprince
08-21-2023, 10:57 AM
I must not fully understand the SSF game. I assumed this was literally solo. If so killing the fierce impeller in Kedge is going to be an adventure without poison and clickies. Even grouped, on level, it’s not easy so you would have to find a group of fellow misfits.

You could be right, I admit that one was a bit of a stretch. I just assumed a level 42 single pull mob right next to zone line would be achievable if you tried over and over. Eventually you'd have a lucky string of hits and he'd have a string of misses or lower hits on any given fight.

Toxigen
08-21-2023, 01:44 PM
ya have fun w/ that

SSF rogue is for masochists

eqravenprince
08-21-2023, 02:14 PM
ya have fun w/ that

SSF rogue is for masochists

You have to be a masochist to play Classic EQ. Everything is tedious and painful. Somethings more so than others.

Kirdan
08-21-2023, 06:34 PM
So the way I am doing mine is era-limited. I don't allow myself access to revamped classic zones and Kunark+ until I hit 50. That means Burning Rapier is easily my best option until then. In Velious you should be able to solo quest a Frozen Shard and I don't think you can do better than that.

7thGate
08-21-2023, 07:13 PM
I suspect the frozen shard from killing shardwing courier quest is one of the best weapons. I think you can probably snare poison bow kite it even with terrible gear as long as you are moderately lucky with the snare resists.

You are going to want to camp a lot of https://wiki.project1999.com/Serpent_Blood_Potion, as it effectively lets you carry up to 40000 HP with 8 full 10 slot bags. That vastly extends what you can kill. That, poison kiting with snare and blind and NPC vs npc fighting would be the mechanics I would be looking at to try for solo stuff.

For example, bracer of benevolence is likely possible, but challenging, because the Giants will fight the cov aligned stuff in zone. Your technique would be to train the giants and just the right amount of stuff to the DN entrance; after you zone, they fight. If you chose well and the sides are balanced, one side will barely win. You support the losing side with the sacks of serpent blood potions to keep you alive, then kill the captain from low life with serpent blood to give you enough HP to solo his last few percent.

eqravenprince
08-21-2023, 07:41 PM
So the way I am doing mine is era-limited. I don't allow myself access to revamped classic zones and Kunark+ until I hit 50. That means Burning Rapier is easily my best option until then. In Velious you should be able to solo quest a Frozen Shard and I don't think you can do better than that.

Doesn't burning rapier require killing a level 33 mob in Mistmoore. Maybe could kill it by mid 40's.

Jimjam
08-22-2023, 12:10 AM
I suspect the frozen shard from killing shardwing courier quest is one of the best weapons. I think you can probably snare poison bow kite it even with terrible gear as long as you are moderately lucky with the snare resists.

You are going to want to camp a lot of https://wiki.project1999.com/Serpent_Blood_Potion, as it effectively lets you carry up to 40000 HP with 8 full 10 slot bags. That vastly extends what you can kill. That, poison kiting with snare and blind and NPC vs npc fighting would be the mechanics I would be looking at to try for solo stuff.

For example, bracer of benevolence is likely possible, but challenging, because the Giants will fight the cov aligned stuff in zone. Your technique would be to train the giants and just the right amount of stuff to the DN entrance; after you zone, they fight. If you chose well and the sides are balanced, one side will barely win. You support the losing side with the sacks of serpent blood potions to keep you alive, then kill the captain from low life with serpent blood to give you enough HP to solo his last few percent.

With snare you can also build distance, bandage as you shoot and use ‘cheap’ potions to further recover hp against harder non-summoning mobs.

Snaggles
08-22-2023, 02:14 AM
I hate to say it but if you can make it to 20 and get paralyzing poison to land you can probably kill Dorn for a Dragoon Dirk (6/23) and that Mucktail for a Polished Granite Tomahawk (6/26). That combo is going to be tough to upgrade from for a while. Around 30 I bet you could sneak into Mistmoore and work on getting an Electrum Bladed Wagasaki.

7thGate
08-22-2023, 07:45 AM
Like the bracer of benevolence, I would guess the best armor achieveable are probably things that drop from the West waste dragons, using scout giants.

That's probably a 6 neck, and the non -bp https://wiki.project1999.com/Matchless_Dragon_Armor_Set

Other strong options are exquisite velium weapons and flayed paebala gloves, by dragging paebala and chetari to each other and kill stealing after the paebala does most of the work. DN is fairly dangerous to be running around, but I think it is viable to do a train from chetari to paebala.

There's probably some specific things that can be improved over this, but it's harder because there are not that many good drops from zones where you can make NPCs fight each other to do most of the work.

Jimjam
08-22-2023, 10:16 AM
Ssf rogue has some interesting bis options as they have the ability to pick pocket non magical equipment. Eg instead of wasting pp on gate potions they can manastone back to bind.

Snaggles
08-22-2023, 11:22 AM
Ssf rogue has some interesting bis options as they have the ability to pick pocket non magical equipment. Eg instead of wasting pp on gate potions they can manastone back to bind.

Can only pp plat as I recall. Weapons can be disarmed, if not magic they drop, if magic they just go back into the inventory.

Tnair
08-23-2023, 04:42 PM
You can pickpocket any non-lore, non-magic item from an enemy between levels 20-50(52?).. this does not include almost any equipment, and no weapons afaik. Like you can steal a shield off town guards and thats helpful until dual wield.

You can disarm any non-magic, non-lore weapon and pick it up from the ground however. this includes some fun odd things like General V'Ghera's teir'dal scimitars, and rando weapons from velious giants in ring war

Tnair
08-23-2023, 04:45 PM
Doesn't burning rapier require killing a level 33 mob in Mistmoore. Maybe could kill it by mid 40's.

its even worse than that, the hemo enologist spawns as part of a group of 2-3 other vampires, in the middle of the courtyard. maybe if you somehow pulled the whole group all the way to zone and split out just the enologist, but its a rough one solo. i was able to sneak in and assassinate the cloaked dhampyre solo for his cloak waaay before i could kill the enologist solo

Tnair
08-23-2023, 04:58 PM
soloable piercing weapon targets also include
-Jambiya (7/26) from Hatar (20 sand giant) (rare drop from rare spawn...)
-Crystal Grinder (9/27) from low 30s Velketor spiders
-walrus tooth (6/22) from mid-30s EW walrus
-a real stretch but the No Rent Gunthak Harpoon from Fironia Vie pirates is 15/33, maybe helpful if you need a leg up to camp a Rentable weapon
-human cultural crafting makes some pretty good rogue weapons, as far as craftae weapons go anyway

edit: an even more nearly-impossible-but-technically-possible is the Ancient Fang (11/30) from the snake titan in Stonebrunt. its a common drop but he has 4000 hp, is immune to runspeed changes, and is so rare ive never once seem him. so theres that.

Keebz
09-03-2023, 12:30 PM
Harpoon of the Depths is pretty bow kitable I'd think.

Also, I wonder how much MR you need to resist the proc on Dirk of the Traitor. MR gear is probably hard to come by SSF tho...

Once you're high enough level, you can probably dump serpent blood pots for something like a slimey.

Snaggles
09-03-2023, 01:12 PM
https://wiki.project1999.com/Rodrick%27s_Gift

Unresistable. The first part of the rogue epic gives you the Jaggef Diamond Dagger (9/22) and Trochilic's Skean. Not horrible if using on-level.

eqravenprince
09-03-2023, 01:42 PM

Unresistable. The first part of the rogue epic gives you the Jaggef Diamond Dagger (9/22) and Trochilic's Skean. Not horrible if using on-level.

Ohh.. very nice! End game goal there!

Tnair
09-08-2023, 10:51 AM

those are some fun suggestions

the Dirk of the Traitor I left out cause it stuns you when it procs, but it does drop from a soloable guy

SSF renux would be a real challenge to get the other two .. you need the book from Hate to spawn her, and while she is bow kiteable if you have sow boots, she has 10,000 hp so it'd be very possible to run out of arrows

renux has been on my "technically maybe I can solo her" list but ive already got the epic, which a ssf rogue cant ever have

eqravenprince
09-08-2023, 12:39 PM
SSF renux would be a real challenge to get the other two .. you need the book from Hate to spawn her, and while she is bow kiteable if you have sow boots, she has 10,000 hp so it'd be very possible to run out of arrows

If you build up enough distance from Renux, you could always buy fletching components from vendor in zone, craft em while running around, and reload for unlimited arrows. So yeah, tedious, but still possible.

zelld52
09-16-2023, 09:40 AM
this thread has devolved into SSF nonsense. why try epic if solo self found? what a waste of time.

Vivitron
09-16-2023, 11:36 AM
If you could bow kite Renux, Frozen Shard should be on the menu too. https://wiki.project1999.com/Wenglawks_The_Traitor

Kirdan
09-16-2023, 11:42 AM
this thread has devolved into SSF nonsense. why try epic if solo self found? what a waste of time.

Err, I don't think anyone is saying to do epic? They want to kill Renux for Skean.

zelld52
09-18-2023, 06:14 AM
Err, I don't think anyone is saying to do epic? They want to kill Renux for Skean.

Need book from hate for Renux... how would you get that SSF?

Kirdan
09-18-2023, 06:23 PM
Allowing yourself a wizard port to hate is perfectly reasonable as SSF, just like getting a bind somewhere other than your starting city is reasonable. Up to each player whether they agree for their own rules, but if you really want to try then it's definitely possible to get a book SSF.

zelld52
09-20-2023, 10:10 AM
Yah but certain mobs in Hate see through hide. And the mobs that see hide can aggro from port in.

So unless a raid is already broken into Hate, it's very difficult to get the book solo -- and if a raid has broken in: I doubt they'd let you sneak to book on their raid and grab it.

And how would you get out? Leatherfoot cap? Thurg potion? Is this rogue farming the Leatherfoot cap themselves? Or are they buying from another player. If the latter, why not just buy a weapon better than Skean? Pay for a TL box? Seems not very solo to me...

Making thurg pots would also be very tricky SSF. Maybe a lizard blood potion? Either way, my point is that SSF Rogue is ridiculous.

eqravenprince
09-20-2023, 11:47 AM
my point is that SSF Rogue is ridiculous.

Yes, and that's why I'm playing one!

Vivitron
09-20-2023, 12:01 PM
Yes, and that's why I'm playing one!

I'm curious, is soloing a level 50ish outdoors mob on your roadmap now? I guess if you are strict about solo buffs/potions you would have to acquire jboots, which sounds pretty hard ssf too. I do think if you get to that point that soloing https://wiki.project1999.com/Shardwing_Courier for a https://wiki.project1999.com/Frozen_Shard might be your best weapon.

eqravenprince
09-20-2023, 01:23 PM
I'm curious, is soloing a level 50ish outdoors mob on your roadmap now? I guess if you are strict about solo buffs/potions you would have to acquire jboots, which sounds pretty hard ssf too. I do think if you get to that point that soloing https://wiki.project1999.com/Shardwing_Courier for a https://wiki.project1999.com/Frozen_Shard might be your best weapon.

People forget about Traveler's Boots. Although I suppose Jboots on my list at some point.
https://wiki.project1999.com/Traveler%27s_Boots.

Yeah Frozen Shard on my list as dream goal.

7thGate
09-20-2023, 01:33 PM
Yah but certain mobs in Hate see through hide. And the mobs that see hide can aggro from port in.

So unless a raid is already broken into Hate, it's very difficult to get the book solo -- and if a raid has broken in: I doubt they'd let you sneak to book on their raid and grab it.

And how would you get out? Leatherfoot cap? Thurg potion? Is this rogue farming the Leatherfoot cap themselves? Or are they buying from another player. If the latter, why not just buy a weapon better than Skean? Pay for a TL box? Seems not very solo to me...

Making thurg pots would also be very tricky SSF. Maybe a lizard blood potion? Either way, my point is that SSF Rogue is ridiculous.

Its not actually that hard to do this, assuming you're ok with getting ports as part of your SSF challenge. There's only a few things that see hide in hate, and nothing sees sneak so you can try to get behind stuff.

I did my own book heist with cap. I did the first epic in ALS, ALS couldn't break into hate yet when I did my epic so I did it via sneaking. So did Gnaryl, who got his a few days after I did.

Honestly one of the most awesome experiences of my EQ career, got the blood pumping big time on that one. Took 3 tries total.

Soloing a cap takes a bit but isn't hard, that isn't a realy bottleneck.

Frozen shard should not be bad with snare poison, just a little tedious. If you don't get bad resists or adds in the DN gorge you should be able to bow kite shardwing; shaped composite darkwood should do like 10 dps, you probably need ~20 minutes of bow kiting to kill it.

Kirdan
09-20-2023, 10:39 PM

Yes, there are mobs that see through hide, but nothing sees through sneak if you are good at avoiding their frontal arc. Yes, I would definitely plan to farm and be prepared to use a DA idol and a WC cap for this mission, and I would make the run naked in case of failure. Yes, they are easy enough to farm solo as a rogue. Yes, SSF rogue is ridiculous and that is the point of playing one.

zelld52
09-21-2023, 12:53 AM
Yes, there are mobs that see through hide, but nothing sees through sneak if you are good at avoiding their frontal arc. Yes, I would definitely plan to farm and be prepared to use a DA idol and a WC cap for this mission, and I would make the run naked in case of failure. Yes, they are easy enough to farm solo as a rogue. Yes, SSF rogue is ridiculous and that is the point of playing one.

Ugh... Ok you guys talked me into it. Starting one tonight

eqravenprince
09-21-2023, 09:52 AM
Ugh... Ok you guys talked me into it. Starting one tonight

Yay, enjoying mine so far, almost 29.