PDA

View Full Version : ChromeOS, wine, gamma issues

Tann
08-15-2023, 04:26 PM
This is probably a shot in the dark.................. but anyone else happen to be playing on a Chromebook using the built in ghetto-Linux? Got it setup running relatively smoothly but, even though the game is full screen in the wine virtual desktop, the gamma slider doesn't work and it's overly dark. Like so dark that infravision does nothing at night time, only ultravision provides a decent amount of night vision.

I think ChromeOS, being a browser type OS, doesn't let apps actually go full screen so not using a virtual desktop with winecfg doesn't work.

loramin
08-15-2023, 06:25 PM
Have you tried opening a second EQ instance? Sometimes that helps, or sometimes opening and then closing it helps ... on Linux in general (not sure about Chromebooks in particular).

Tann
08-15-2023, 08:38 PM
Trying to load another p99 client didn't seem to help, I'll keep fiddling with it. Interestingly though, I installed Debian on the CB just now and exactly the same issue

Tann
08-15-2023, 10:50 PM
So I figured out a work around then figured out the problem. A work around would be to use xgamma to change the gamma setting like:

xgamma -gamma 2

This at first didn't work because I was logged into Debian just using Gnome, which apparently does allow some things to work like xgamma so I had to switch it to Gnome with Xorg. Not only did this work it also made the gamma slider in game work as well. Might explain why ChromeOS doesn't work because I don't think you can change the desktop environments like that, Debian has quite a few options.