PDA

View Full Version : Wiki "Your connection isn't private"

Mazak
07-29-2023, 08:19 PM
Your connection isn't private
Attackers might be trying to steal your information from wiki.project1999.com (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards).
NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID

I need my (your)Wiki!

Is this on my end or server side?

DrunkenGymkata
07-29-2023, 08:20 PM
I have same.

loramin
07-29-2023, 08:38 PM
It just means Rogean hasn't updated the security certificate, and it expired. You can ignore the browser warnings, and as long as you don't give the wiki your credit card (;)) you'll be perfectly fine.

(Security certificates are how websites encrypt sensitive information like passwords. Hypothetically, if you login to the wiki while it's like this, someone could ... again, in theory .. launch a "man in the middle attack" and steal your password. The chances of that happening are very, very low, but if you're truly worried you can still use the wiki, but just don't login until Rogean fixes it.)

Tann
07-29-2023, 08:44 PM
Hypothetically, if you login to the wiki while it's like this, someone could ... again, in theory .. launch a "man in the middle attack" and steal your password.

The tinfoil hat folks who think the dll is spying on them probably just collectively peed a little

Indefinite
07-29-2023, 10:34 PM
go go gadget let's encrypt

Though, it's a sectigo cert - expired Sat, 29 Jul 2023 23:59:59 GMT

Isthisme?
07-30-2023, 11:28 PM
Thank you all for the reassurance!

knotme
07-31-2023, 01:19 AM
If I peed a little, is that wrong? Asking for those really cool pixel hunters who write witty things.

Kolil
07-31-2023, 09:25 AM
I can't get on with life if this security warning doesn't subside. Ughh! lol

greblhad
07-31-2023, 09:47 AM
Is the wiki owned by the same group that owns project1999.com? I can't understand why this is going on for days. Its super simple to install a cert.

Zaide
07-31-2023, 10:31 AM
Is the wiki owned by the same group that owns project1999.com? I can't understand why this is going on for days. Its super simple to install a cert.

Green still doesn’t have a guild recruitment forum after like 5 years.

The2lip
07-31-2023, 12:01 PM
I am wondering if P99 needs any $$ to renew their SSL Certificate. Does any1 know how we'd be able to check on that?

loramin
07-31-2023, 01:11 PM
I would imagine it's not an issue of money, but of time.

Updating the certificate is just a hassle, which I'm sure is why Rogean hasn't lept to solve it immediately ... but he will eventually; he always has in the past.

Ike R Umba
08-01-2023, 07:43 AM
This appears to be fixed now. Yay!

Mazak
08-01-2023, 08:42 AM
It is not fixed yet in my neck of the woods.

digush
08-01-2023, 09:54 AM
download Opera web-browser until they can get the certificate updated

https://www.opera.com/

Mazak
08-01-2023, 02:20 PM
Yeah...Opra has the same exact warning...
Darn!

Mazak
08-01-2023, 02:28 PM
If it's a money thing I'd love to donate...been meaning to for a while.
Problem is I don't think i can safely do that until it is fixed.

Ike R Umba
08-01-2023, 03:30 PM
Weird... it works fine in Chrome for me on my work PC. But yeah, still not on my home PC. Dang.

Tann
08-01-2023, 06:47 PM
Weird... it works fine in Chrome for me on my work PC. But yeah, still not on my home PC. Dang.

Could be looking at a cached version of the site, hit F12, click network tab, check if the box for disable cache is checked.

loramin
08-01-2023, 07:07 PM
Could be looking at a cached version of the site, hit F12, click network tab, check if the box for disable cache is checked.

If you're going that route, you can just do F12, then click and hold the "Reload" button. You'll see an option for "Empty Cache and Hard Reload", which will definitely clear your cache (but only for that one site).

However, I'm not sure any of the "dev tools" (ie. that F12 stuff) covers security certs, and also I think security certs can get cached on the networked computers between you and the wiki. So, even clearing the cache on your computer won't necessarily solve it :(

Ripqozko
08-01-2023, 07:14 PM
If you're going that route, you can just do F12, then click and hold the "Reload" button. You'll see an option for "Empty Cache and Hard Reload", which will definitely clear your cache (but only for that one site).

However, I'm not sure any of the "dev tools" (ie. that F12 stuff) covers security certs, and also I think security certs can get cached on the networked computers between you and the wiki. So, even clearing the cache on your computer won't necessarily solve it :(

Loramin fix your shit, the wiki shouldn’t break so much . This is all on you .

loramin
08-01-2023, 08:24 PM
Loramin fix your shit, the wiki shouldn’t break so much . This is all on you .

It really isn't.

I'm only a "wiki admin", which gives me a few more powers in the wiki software itself. This is something the administrator of the server has to fix (ie. someone with access to the computer the wiki runs on ... ie. Rogean).

While I do know how to install a fresh security cert, and I'd happily SSH into the wiki machine and do it if Rogean granted me access ... so far he hasn't offered that access.

Mazak
08-02-2023, 04:49 AM
Does anyone know how to get thru Kael?I need to get my WL tooth.
What spells does a druid get at 39?
Oh and does anyone have the recipe for Candied Spider Legs?

Jimjam
08-02-2023, 05:47 AM
It really isn't.

I'm only a "wiki admin", which gives me a few more powers in the wiki software itself. This is something the administrator of the server has to fix (ie. someone with access to the computer the wiki runs on ... ie. Rogean).

While I do know how to install a fresh security cert, and I'd happily SSH into the wiki machine and do it if Rogean granted me access ... so far he hasn't offered that access.
Seeing as the thread already made it apparent this is a Rogean issue (and lets face it, not really an important one) I think he was just yanking your chain...

Mazak
08-02-2023, 10:37 AM
I guess you could say this is really old school.

Is there anywhere else to go for information?

It seems the Wiki will be down indefinitely.

zelld52
08-02-2023, 11:31 AM
I guess you could say this is really old school.

Is there anywhere else to go for information?

It seems the Wiki will be down indefinitely.

You can use the wiki, just need to accept proceed without the security certificate.

tiger32kw
08-02-2023, 12:04 PM
You can use the wiki, just need to accept proceed without the security certificate.

On every single request... Oof

loramin
08-02-2023, 12:23 PM

This, although the message will vary by browser: on Chrome you might have to click on "Advanced" or "Show Details", or something like that first, and then you'll see some sort of "continue anyway" link.

The wiki is still there, and it's still perfectly safe. It just has an expired security cert, which hypothetically could mean an attacker could see your password when you login ... but A) in practice that's very unlikely to happen, even with an expired cert, and B) you don't have to login to use the wiki.

Ennewi
08-02-2023, 02:27 PM
It appears to be functioning w/o issue again.

Mazak
08-02-2023, 05:03 PM
Nope..still broken

Mazak
08-03-2023, 04:00 PM
The Wiki is up and runnig again!
Thank you to whom ever fixed it!