PDA

View Full Version : Major Packet Loss

Striiker
03-12-2010, 11:22 AM
Hi,
I just started playing and am running into serious issues. I was able to start an Erudite enchanter and ran around, got my robe nd headed to Qeynos. I headed to North Qeynos and got bound and buffed by a friendly druid. I played a bit and then logged off. Since then, when I log on, I experience major packet loss to the point where I can't do anything and the game eventually disconnects. I can run around but I can't open doors, attack stuff, etc which is what happens when under such severe packet loss. I didn't change anything on my end and so I was at a loss as to the cause of this. Has anyone run into such issues and if so, what was the solution?
I even logged on during a low server population time and have the exact same issue. I'd REALLY appreciate any help!
As a side note, I tried WinEQ 2.0 but I can't figure out how to configre it properly. How do I include the patchme switch? Thanks!

Fearstalker - Level 2 Erudite Enchanter

Lonedrahon25
03-12-2010, 05:06 PM
Sounds like something client side IE: Your computer/network/router/modem... Iono if you use Comcraptic like i do. But i get issues with it all the time when it comes to dropping signals and such....Finally had to call the guy to come out... Apparently some technician that did a job on my neighbors behind me disconnected abunch wires to my house and "forgot" to rehook em back up...2 days of evercrack lost to the forgetfull bastard!

Striiker
03-12-2010, 05:19 PM
Sounds like something client side IE: Your computer/network/router/modem... Iono if you use Comcraptic like i do. But i get issues with it all the time when it comes to dropping signals and such....Finally had to call the guy to come out... Apparently some technician that did a job on my neighbors behind me disconnected abunch wires to my house and "forgot" to rehook em back up...2 days of evercrack lost to the forgetfull bastard!

I appreciate the input.. I don't believe it's an issue with the ISP. Yes, I am on Comcast however there are no such issues with other games or connectivity to the internet. I would agree that it could be something with my local network (although nothing was changed here). I will look into that possibility tonight. For now, I am re-installing the game.. I consider this to be overkill and that it probably will not resolve the issue but I am going to give it a shot first. I have an extensive IT background around networking etc. so I am hoping that I can resolve it soon. I thought I'd post here as well in case someone else has had a similar issue with the 1999 server.

Lanor
03-12-2010, 10:56 PM
As a side note, I tried WinEQ 2.0 but I can't figure out how to configre it properly. How do I include the patchme switch? Thanks!

options -> preferences -> profiles -> select whatever profile you're using -> set patch to off.

not sure if wineq will help your specific problem, but I had a lot of issues running EQ and wineq seems to have solved a lot of them.

Aeolwind
03-13-2010, 12:14 AM
Also, if you are playing wirelessly, this may cause issues.

Striiker
03-13-2010, 02:04 AM
Also, if you are playing wirelessly, this may cause issues.

Thank you for the help. I deter
inex the cause. I turned off my anti-virus / firewall software and the problem went away. I am using a program called Blink. For some reason it was really impacting the game. I will have to look into this further. I had a great time playing tonight! Thank you once again to all who responded.

Rania
03-13-2010, 06:19 AM
mm I'm having the same issue on my laptop (on wireless). Have uninstalled all anti virus software etc and windows defender is off.
I can play other games no worries, but seems wireless doesn't like eq99

Striiker
03-13-2010, 07:57 AM
mm I'm having the same issue on my laptop (on wireless). Have uninstalled all anti virus software etc and windows defender is off.
I can play other games no worries, but seems wireless doesn't like eq99

That sucks to hear. I am playing wirelessly and all is well. Hopefully you can find a solution to this. Unless the connection has an issue such as noise or some other degradation of signal, it shouldn't matter to the application which is using it. Did you try a new, official driver for your wireless adapter or try switching to use the builtin windows wireless config?

Rania
03-13-2010, 04:01 PM
It's really odd. I can run around, kill stuff with my melee, but as soon as I try to cast a spell, my spell doesn't cast, my icons all grey out, and after that I then can't target anything, hit anything or cast anything. I can still run around, and once I finally disconnect and come back, I am where I ran to. OOC comes through, and chat works while I am in the process of disconnecting (where I can't cast etc).

Will keep trying different things. If it's wireless I am in trouble as I travel 3 nights a week for work and use a mobile broadband wireless device to connect.

Aeolwind
03-13-2010, 08:19 PM
issue that i've heard is that wireless routers can send packets out of order. EQ doesn't like that at all.

Lanor
03-13-2010, 08:28 PM
try updating the firmware on your router, rania/striiiker