PDA

View Full Version : Bard Instrument Modifier Question

Alarria
04-18-2023, 02:00 PM
Hi all,

Just trying to calculate how instrument modifiers work for bard songs. I feel as though I remember that an instrument with a mod of say 23 (Walrus Skin Drum) add 230% to the power of the song? Like if I used Tuyen's Chant of Frost at level 60, which according to the wiki does 31 damage per tick would it increase to ~71 per tick? Similarly, would hymn of restoration go from 13 healing per tick to 29 per tick using a 22 instrument (Lute of the Howler)- rounded up from 28.6.

Trying to find how much a full round of dots would do. I also can't remember for dots to get full damage if they must be fleeing, or snared, or rooted or whatever.

Thanks for the help!

Philistine
04-19-2023, 12:31 PM
Hello! I'm new to barding myself, but my understanding of instrument mods is what you described. I believe that's correct!

It's also my understanding that the mods don't work on mana regen, haste, or slow component of songs.

Vivitron
04-19-2023, 12:48 PM
Hello! I'm new to barding myself, but my understanding of instrument mods is what you described. I believe that's correct!

It's also my understanding that the mods don't work on mana regen, haste, or slow component of songs.

That's correct, I haven't checked the rounding behavior though. Faction song also isn't modified. Several songs that don't have any obvious way to scale with a modifier don't seem to be effected by instruments either. AFAIK instruments do not affect the duration of any song.

Forward runspeed is capped at about 256%, which is short of the 269% drums of the beast selos would give you or the 282% puretone would.

Vivitron
04-19-2023, 01:10 PM
Trying to find how much a full round of dots would do. I also can't remember for dots to get full damage if they must be fleeing, or snared, or rooted or whatever.

They have to be stationary or feared for full dot damage. Not sure about blind. Otherwise they take 66% damage. This is an era mechanic, starting September 1999 and extending the rest of our timeline.

If you root a moving mob you have to take a round of melee to get it recognized as stationary (p99 bug). I haven't checked for that bug on feared mobs; it would be worth checking yourself if you are going to do a lot of fearing.

Alarria
04-19-2023, 02:28 PM
Very interesting. Thank you both for the information. I didn't figure that the haste or slows would be affected (although I don't know why). So drum dotting a mob my charm pet is fighting would only be taking the 66% of damage, as I am assuming they're not considered stationary.

Toxigen
04-19-2023, 02:38 PM
I actually never knew this. I just went by "bigger number moar gud."

Crede
04-19-2023, 03:51 PM
Very interesting. Thank you both for the information. I didn't figure that the haste or slows would be affected (although I don't know why). So drum dotting a mob my charm pet is fighting would only be taking the 66% of damage, as I am assuming they're not considered stationary.

Incorrect assumption. You’re getting full damage dots when mobs are meleeing each other. So swapping pets while loading them up with drum chant dots is how bards can shred through mobs while charming. You have to cycle pets to reset aggro if ya keep recharming the same one you’ll have one stick to you. Only time when ya want to not swap is when killing a Named to keep recharming your pet while healing yourself. Or if your pet is really low and losing just recharm it and drop some fears or take hits to get the other one down. There’s a YouTube video of glitchers bard doing this against an hs named.

There’s also a google spreadsheet out there that you can plug in the instrument mod and your level and you can see what everything does. I posted it on the other thread here about bard melee today. Or just google p99 bard songs per level spreadsheet.

nyclin
04-19-2023, 03:55 PM
Instrument modifiers (including Singing mod on epic) do:
- Increase haste values
- Increase slow values (up to a cap)
- Increase snare values (up to a cap)
- Increase HP regen values
- Increase mana value for mana adders (lvl 20 and lvl 32 songs) but NOT the level 55 song. Instruments only modify the HP regen for Cantata.
- Increase all raw stats and resists values granted or debuffed by songs
- Increases faction mod amount, up to an unknown cap
- Increase damage for both DD and DoTs

Instrument mods do NOT:
- Increase mez duration or reduce resist chance. The lvl 28 mez has a -MR component so this would be modified by instruments and would reduce resists after the first application, but the instrument mod does not strictly make it easier to land.
- Increase charm duration or reduce resist chance
- Increase duration of any songs, offensive or defensive
- Alter number of effects dispelled (dispel counters)
- Change distance travelled by Shadowstep-type spells
- Increase stun duration (lvl 55, 56, and 59 songs)
- Increase mana regen from Cantata, see above

Things I'm unsure on:
- Rune values from eg Shield of Song
- Mana drain value from some songs. Some use a flat -mana component, others use a mana-DoT. Given the logic applied to Cantata vs Chorus, I'd assume it affects the lvl 35 song (flat -mana) but not lvl 57 (mana DoT)
- Hate modifier on Song of Dawn

Alarria
04-19-2023, 04:04 PM
Man you guys rock! Crede, thanks for clearing that up. That spreadsheet is pretty great. Also, Nyclin, thanks for the detailed write up. Exactly what I needed! Appreciate it both of you.

Vivitron
04-19-2023, 04:24 PM
- Increase haste values
- Increase mana value for mana adders (lvl 20 and lvl 32 songs) but NOT the level 55 song. Instruments only modify the HP regen for Cantata.

Unfortunately not:(

Alarria
04-19-2023, 05:43 PM
Oh man...

Vivitron
04-19-2023, 05:50 PM
Although the "up to a cap" is interesting, maybe nyclin knows something that I don't -- if the cap were close to the unmodded value for some of these I may not have noticed that there was any difference. Would be interested to hear what brought them to their conclusion that the instrument helps those.

Crede
04-19-2023, 05:52 PM
- Increase haste values
- Increase snare values (up to a cap)
- Increase HP regen values
- Increase all raw stats and resists values granted or debuffed by songs
- Increase damage for both DD and DoTs

Instrument mods do NOT:
- Increase mez duration or reduce resist chance. The lvl 28 mez has a -MR component so this would be modified by instruments and would reduce resists after the first application, but the instrument mod does not strictly make it easier to land.
- Increase charm duration or reduce resist chance
- Increase duration of any songs, offensive or defensive
- Alter number of effects dispelled (dispel counters)
- Change distance travelled by Shadowstep-type spells
- Increase stun duration (lvl 55, 56, and 59 songs)
- Increase mana regen from Cantata, see above

Things I'm unsure on:
- Rune values from eg Shield of Song
- Mana drain value from some songs. Some use a flat -mana component, others use a mana-DoT. Given the logic applied to Cantata vs Chorus, I'd assume it affects the lvl 35 song (flat -mana) but not lvl 57 (mana DoT)
- Hate modifier on Song of Dawn

Not at my pc until tomorrow to check but can you confirm the pulse mana mod epic? Seems a bit op to pulse modded mana

Tann
04-19-2023, 07:09 PM
Instrument mods also lower the aggro range on the lull song

Vivitron
04-20-2023, 02:49 PM
- Increase haste values

I just checked McVaxius' Rousing Rondo by measuring the delay of my empty fist. Unfortunately both unmodded and epic modded McVaxius bring the fist down from ~36.1 delay to ~29.5-29.6 delay.

astuce999
04-20-2023, 05:28 PM
The haste or slow component of the song is not mod'ed but any other effects on the song, such as extra attack/str will be.

cheers,

Astuce

Snaggles
04-21-2023, 01:11 AM
Haste, slow and snare, mana regen = can’t be modded.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Cassindra%27s_Chorus_of_Clarity
(Fine print)

Svs (and OOS), runes, damage shields, health regen, dots, directs, stats, run speed = can be.

I can’t recall effects of faction songs, mana drain, lull and the other niche ones.

I know there are some singing resist songs that the epic mods a ton without another option except Puretone. Psalm of cooling and warmth (fr or cr + DS) and song of mystic shielding (mr plus some other stuff). And the desperate dirge.

Ennewi
04-21-2023, 01:22 AM
Classic sites have indicated that the string modifier had no discernable effect on lull in terms of radius or resist rate.

Vivitron
04-21-2023, 04:03 AM
Haste, slow and snare, mana regen = can’t be modded.

Snare totally gets modded. It's most obvious when you ae indoors and mess up by hitting the ae snare with a horn on.

Ripqozko
04-21-2023, 08:20 AM
Snare totally gets modded. It's most obvious when you ae indoors and mess up by hitting the ae snare with a horn on.

its modded, just capped. epic will cap it, so 1.8

Snaggles
04-21-2023, 10:19 AM

Ah fair. Tbh I just can’t recall using the aoe snare and the few times I fear-kited with the lute out using Constant Chain it’s worked well enough.

Tann
04-21-2023, 07:05 PM
Classic sites have indicated that the string modifier had no discernable effect on lull in terms of radius or resist rate.

I could be definitely be wrong but whilst leveling up I could single pull mobs that were super close together using a lute, when I tried without the lute I'd get adds.

I suppose it could've been just luck with server ticks and proxy aggro checks.

Degalian
04-26-2023, 09:07 AM
If you root a moving mob you have to take a round of melee to get it recognized as stationary (p99 bug). I haven't checked for that bug on feared mobs; it would be worth checking yourself if you are going to do a lot of fearing.

I thought that too for a while, but it's actually enough to go a bit sideways for the mob to change it's direction and the game will register it as rooted --> give full DoT damage. No need to get slapped .

Ennewi
04-27-2023, 04:54 AM
I could be definitely be wrong but whilst leveling up I could single pull mobs that were super close together using a lute, when I tried without the lute I'd get adds.

I suppose it could've been just luck with server ticks and proxy aggro checks.

https://i.imgur.com/mNs7Ncq.jpg

That said, I haven't tested recently and things may have been changed since the kanras post, given that it was made over a decade ago, but if so I haven't seen any posts about those changes.

Tann
04-29-2023, 12:42 PM
https://i.imgur.com/mNs7Ncq.jpg

That said, I haven't tested recently and things may have been changed since the kanras post, given that it was made over a decade ago, but if so I haven't seen any posts about those changes.

Well now.. that almost makes me wanna log on the bard to check.

Ennewi
06-21-2023, 05:56 PM

So it turns out this may only be half true, though more sources are needed obviously.

https://web.archive.org/web/20010208135810/http://eqsongs.com/Songs/Song08.htm

KELIN'S LUGUBRIOUS LAMENT
Level: 8

Strategies:

[Daniel] Using a string instrument makes the aggro range even smaller then when sung.

[Gendal] Since this song it string based, using a string instrument greatly increases it's effectiveness. Gendal also reports that at level 50 this song will make you the puller extraordinaire for breaking the spawn on difficult rooms that would normally take 2 parties to break.