PDA

View Full Version : JBoots or Invis ring for an Enchanter.

ddemers
03-04-2023, 09:37 AM
At level 49 I finally saved up close to 6k, so now the question is what can I spend it on?

I primarily solo/charm

Garnaak
03-04-2023, 10:43 AM
At level 49 can solo AC camp in OOT, could have solo'd Gobbi ring camp many levels ago.

Save the 6k for important spells you will want later.

PatChapp
03-04-2023, 11:18 AM
Yeah they're both pretty easy camps
Lvl 49 Animation does fine at the oot ac camp,. Just preslow the cyclops and you'll be fine.
It's not terrible xp either,good time to do it

Goblin ring camp easy to just very boring.

Pint
03-04-2023, 01:22 PM
Jboots

Crede
03-04-2023, 02:19 PM
Invis ring. You’re not doing much outdoor killing 49+. Just get some sow pots when you need to travel and eventually get jboots when you have FU money at 55+. You should be saving for Bedlam next over jboots.

DeathsSilkyMist
03-04-2023, 02:52 PM
I would say invis ring too. Jboots can't be used indoors, and sow pots are cheap.

Pint
03-05-2023, 09:23 AM
This box got bad/dumb, jboots all day long

Samoht
03-05-2023, 02:47 PM
Invis ring is a luxury. Doesn't add anything new to the kit, just saves a spell slot and some cast time.

Jboots adds to the kit.

100% jboots.

DeathsSilkyMist
03-05-2023, 03:10 PM
Invis ring is a luxury. Doesn't add anything new to the kit, just saves a spell slot and some cast time.

Jboots adds to the kit.

100% jboots.

This box got bad/dumb, jboots all day long

Both ring and Jboots are a luxury.

The difference is ring can work in a dungeon (Enchanters like Dungeons), and Jboots can't be used in a dungeon. You can play the game without Jboots as an Enchanter, because you have a ton of CC already. You aren't going to be kiting stuff around like a Wizard.

For travel purposes SoW pots and Dial A Port is good enough.

OP isn't high enough level to do the Chardok camp that trains out the Korucust`s Courier, which is one dungeon camp that does use JBoots since you are zoning out to the outdoors each time anyway.

branamil
03-05-2023, 03:17 PM
Jboots and it's not close. Invis ring is just a convenience, but imagine jboots are a necessity

DeathsSilkyMist
03-05-2023, 03:20 PM
Jboots and it's not close. Invis ring is just a convenience, but imagine jboots are a necessity

Jboots aren't a necessity on Enchanters. They aren't like Wizards who spend most of their time kiting.

Crede
03-05-2023, 03:38 PM
OP is lvl 49. It’s 100% invis ring to 60. You don’t need jboots for the grind, invis ring is a literal game changer for xp in places like HS. I could see an argument at 60 for jboots instead. But really just get invis ring and go level in oot and get ac ring.

DeathsSilkyMist
03-05-2023, 03:40 PM
OP is 49%. It’s 100% invis ring to 60. You don’t need jboots for the grind. I could see an argument at 60 for jboots instead. But really just get invis ring and go level in oot and get ac ring.

Exactly. OP isn't going to be doing the camps that require frequent train outs and zoning at level 49. By the time OP hits 60 they should be able to afford JBoots.

branamil
03-05-2023, 05:43 PM
Wrong. Most people aren't poopsocking autists who lock themselves in a dungeon to grind 60 in a 180 hour session. You still have to quest, travel, buy shit, and run around, and lots of people XP outdoors in Karnor, Wakening Lands, and others. Its the biggest quality of life increase in the game.

PatChapp
03-05-2023, 05:47 PM
No reason to buy them though, it's a trivial camp for a 49 enchanter. Better to just sock it and buy spells. Spells are expensive

DeathsSilkyMist
03-05-2023, 07:47 PM
Wrong. Most people aren't poopsocking autists who lock themselves in a dungeon to grind 60 in a 180 hour session. You still have to quest, travel, buy shit, and run around, and lots of people XP outdoors in Karnor, Wakening Lands, and others. Its the biggest quality of life increase in the game.

If you are going to do the "most people" argument, plenty of people do just fine with SoW pots:) Travel isn't difficult in P99. Improving your kill speed and reducing chance of death via invis ring is going to be more rewarding than a clickie that simply removes the need to buy/store SoW pots.

Not saying JBoots are a bad item at all, but they have different importance to different classes. JBoots are mostly just a QoL improvement for Enchanters. For Wizards they are a better item because Quadding is something people do for 30 levels, and maintaining SoW pots for that specific setup is more annoying.

No reason to buy them though, it's a trivial camp for a 49 enchanter. Better to just sock it and buy spells. Spells are expensive

Not everybody likes doing those kinds of camps. I don't do Ancient Cyclops because I don't like the camp. I'd rather get the plat elsewhere and buy it. Same with invis ring.

ddemers
03-05-2023, 10:35 PM
thanks for the input all.

Turn of events, I was away this weekend (kids hockey), after reading the comments I figured I would give the ring camp a shot. I spent 3-4 hours at the camp and managed to get the ring!

Considering it took me a month to save up my plat, I figured I should take 1-2 hours to get to the AC camp and see what it's all about (how contested/how to get to it..etc).

From my perspective, being slow really sucks, it can also lead to death when learning new spots (assuming you can run away). I tried the Sow pot route, but I am too cheap, so I found myself only using it when I felt it was justified.|

Looking forward to charming with my ring!

DeathsSilkyMist
03-06-2023, 01:04 AM

Turn of events, I was away this weekend (kids hockey), after reading the comments I figured I would give the ring camp a shot. I spent 3-4 hours at the camp and managed to get the ring!

Considering it took me a month to save up my plat, I figured I should take 1-2 hours to get to the AC camp and see what it's all about (how contested/how to get to it..etc).

From my perspective, being slow really sucks, it can also lead to death when learning new spots (assuming you can run away). I tried the Sow pot route, but I am too cheap, so I found myself only using it when I felt it was justified.|

Grats! That's pretty lucky in terms of total time spent for an invis ring.

I don't usually do AC camp, so I couldn't give exact details. The Ro camp usually has a waiting list, so you probably aren't going to get one in a few hours unless you get lucky and there isn't much of a line. Maybe OOT would be a better shot, but not 100% sure.

Toxigen
03-06-2023, 08:02 AM
Neither. Save for your spells.

PatChapp
03-06-2023, 08:58 AM

If there's a list for the AC when you get there,just kill seafuries while you wait. Pretty good XP and some gem loot
Bring a sow pot though since they can't be stunned,need to keep some distance on them.

Jimjam
03-06-2023, 09:14 AM
Some of the spectres may yield xp if all the seafuries and gornit are camped. Or the pathing clops on AC island. Lots to do in OOT while waiting for your turn on AC.

Ripqozko
03-06-2023, 11:19 AM
Some of the spectres may yield xp if all the seafuries and gornit are camped. Or the pathing clops on AC island. Lots to do in OOT while waiting for your turn on AC.

this, get exp tooo

branamil
03-06-2023, 12:55 PM

Great decision! It will be hard to go back to a non-jboots character again once you get used to it.

Kawhi
03-10-2023, 12:08 PM
You got really lucky if you only had to spend 3-4 hours to get the goblin ring. Congrats!

Another thing to consider that I don't think anyone mentioned. If you buy a tradeable item, you can always resell it later if you need the plat back. If you buy a MQ for a no drop item, that plat is gone.

DeathsSilkyMist
03-10-2023, 04:03 PM
You got really lucky if you only had to spend 3-4 hours to get the goblin ring. Congrats!

Another thing to consider that I don't think anyone mentioned. If you buy a tradeable item, you can always resell it later if you need the plat back. If you buy a MQ for a no drop item, that plat is gone.

Agreed.

SylvanBranch
03-10-2023, 11:06 PM

Haha! I spent 4 days x 4hours each to get mine. Best Chanter Item by far.

For anyone else reading this who had the same question:

-Get JBoots first if you suck at Chanter and need to run away a lot.
-Get Ring first if you want total control over your XP and to be able to kill mobs faster (since they can beat each other down lower than if you use Invis or try to use hide)

Both are great items for sure, but the ring is for winning, boots are for failing.

PabloEdvardo
03-11-2023, 05:27 PM
I'm so confused, assuming we're talking about https://wiki.project1999.com/Goblin_Gazughi_Ring and not the https://wiki.project1999.com/Ring_of_Stealthy_Travel you should be getting the gazugi ring 100% of the time

jboots is a luxury and you can easily buy a few sow potions to hold you over if you need to. sow pots are even better for dungeons since it lasts longer after zoning in (like 35 mins versus 15 mins of the jboots)

The fact that you got it in 4 hours is insane though. That camp is a nightmare since it's an ultra rare drop off a rare spawn and you can't leave the computer for more than like 30 seconds especially if you're camping 2 spawns at once.

ddemers
03-16-2023, 04:42 PM
I'm so confused, assuming we're talking about https://wiki.project1999.com/Goblin_Gazughi_Ring and not the https://wiki.project1999.com/Ring_of_Stealthy_Travel you should be getting the gazugi ring 100% of the time

jboots is a luxury and you can easily buy a few sow potions to hold you over if you need to. sow pots are even better for dungeons since it lasts longer after zoning in (like 35 mins versus 15 mins of the jboots)

The fact that you got it in 4 hours is insane though. That camp is a nightmare since it's an ultra rare drop off a rare spawn and you can't leave the computer for more than like 30 seconds especially if you're camping 2 spawns at once.

I was talking about the Gazughi Ring.

** Update for future readers:

I tried to stand in line for AC, but ended up purchasing the MQ off of a guy that got had the camp. I stuck around till he got the spawn, then looted the ring, we ported to the bank and I payed for it (4k)

After using both the ring and JBoots for 1-2 weeks, I have to say that Jboots are pretty sweet... but so is having the invis ring...

If I HAD to get rid of one temporarily, it would be the ring. Sow pots are expensive and can be wasted (death/afk/sitting to regen). If you can afford to just use Sow pots like cost isn't an issue, you can afford to get jboots IMO.

Summary: having both is completely game-changing in how you play the class (in a good way)

wagorf
05-03-2023, 08:48 AM

do you even play an ench

ring of stealth travel over goblin anyday, if u dont know why then u either dont play ench or don't charm a lot

and jboots > invis ring

Toxigen
05-03-2023, 11:46 AM
do you even play an ench

ring of stealth travel over goblin anyday, if u dont know why then u either dont play ench or don't charm a lot

Watch out, we got an E-thug over here.

Why don't you explain why its better instead of being a twat?

Alarria
05-03-2023, 04:10 PM
I'd agree it's better, but not to justify 10k more in price. I personally like it because it has some stats, as well as it being Gather Shadows rather than IVA, so you can break charm without changing targets (which is marginally better), but it has a cast time vs instant.

BigPlays
07-05-2023, 07:40 AM
Jboots are easy to get. Took me like 2 hours and the rapier was the hardest part

Videri
07-05-2023, 07:54 AM
I’d rather buy a Goblin Gazughi Ring and camp JBoots than camp a GGR and buy JBoots.

It’s too bad so many people posting in this thread are stuck on “which” and not “which camp” or “which first.” Like, of course he needs JBoots. But the GGR camp is pain, and OOT AC isn’t that bad.

Toxigen
07-07-2023, 06:42 AM
I leveled my enc w/o jboots or GGR just fine.

Infectious
07-07-2023, 06:51 PM
do you even play an ench

and jboots > invis ring

I'm taking insta invisible over 2 second cast time any day. Put toggle target on the key next to ring and targeting yourself doesn't even matter because it's a click of the key to switch back targets

PatChapp
07-08-2023, 03:19 PM
You back your pet out of the fight and the 2seconds is not an issue if your charming for xp. Once your done with xp the stealthy travel ring gets even better.

Infectious
07-08-2023, 04:22 PM
You back your pet out of the fight and the 2seconds is not an issue if your charming for xp. Once your done with xp the stealthy travel ring gets even better.

It sucks. I leveled a necro with a nerfed cos. If you're bunching mobs up and back your pet up too early, you have to waste an extra nuke. Or you send pet in and he gets insta killed because all the mobs swings refreshed.

Leveling my enchanter with a gobby ring it is night in day compared to backing pet up and breaking.

enjchanter
07-10-2023, 02:15 PM
The 2 second cast is plenty fast enough and is actually useful

Don't be a boomer

Pint
07-10-2023, 03:45 PM
Didn't even know this was a thing. So I'm supposed to swap my goblin ring for this stealthy ring

Seducio
07-10-2023, 03:51 PM
Didn't even know this was a thing. So I'm supposed to swap my goblin ring for this stealthy ring

One ring to rule them all. They should make a story about this.

Crede
07-10-2023, 05:13 PM
I'd keep the goblin ring for leveling. Insta cast helps to use lower mana nukes without risking the mob dieing before break. Then i'd sell it at 60 and get the ring of stealthy travel.

Seducio
07-11-2023, 12:42 PM
Also if you care about a light source. Ring of Stealthy Travels is not a light source while Goblin ring is a light source. So there are minor trade offs.

FickleFiend
07-15-2023, 11:59 AM
GGR pre 60 and when wanting to min/max XP; Stealthy Travel when 60 and DGAF about XP loss.

PatChapp
07-16-2023, 07:29 AM

I wouldn't buy one unless plat means nothing to you, once your 60 and done xping it's a great utility item.
Dictate + chardok faction is pretty standard lvl 60 enchNter goals,and you can get your own then.

If you like dungeon crawls it's amazing. Can paci/reinvis and check which mobs see as you go

unsunghero
07-16-2023, 03:06 PM
GGR is a crutch IMO

It is most useful in a single situation: when you have multiple mobs beating on or casting on a rooted charmed pet where you cannot pull the pet back out of the melee range of the mobs or even if you did, the mob spells will kill it before you can cast invis

For all other situations, if you are charming correctly, you should be able to pull your charmed pet out of any incoming damage via the help of root. Root lasts like 40+ seconds, more than enough time to cast invis on yourself. Tell your pet to guard here if you want extra room away from it before you cast invis

I have never needed GGR to charm solo from 1-57, and I have almost never lost a charmed pet

However, anyone that wants to do the difficult dungeon crawling exp methods involving things like aoe mez, rooting everything with paralyzing earth or another long lasting root, then charming 1 rooted mob in the clump to get pounded on by everything else then breaking charm and killing it….absolutely would require GGR. There’s no way to time invis to work for you there

Toxigen
07-17-2023, 09:14 AM
crutch or qol either one

you dont need it but its nice

DeathsSilkyMist
07-17-2023, 10:49 AM
Best thing about GGR/Ring of Stealthy Travel is it frees up a spell slot on a class that already has too many spells and not enough slots.

Freeing up spell slots > JBoots on a class that likes going into dungeons (can't use Jboots), needs all their spell slots, and isn't kiting.

Tann
07-17-2023, 08:10 PM
Never had either of the invis rings but I'd have to agree with ^DSM^, freeing up a spell slot would be a huge quality of life improvement.

My spell slots 3-8 are permanent residents, one of which is invis, would be nice to drop it for something else or, even better, not need to drop an extra stun or gate to have ToT up when dealing on casters.

unsunghero
07-20-2023, 03:15 PM
I keep both wandering mind and ToT permanently on bar unless I’m using the animation (rare situations like farming droga), where I replace wandering mind with boon of the garou for the pet

I hate the idea of having to wait for mana, so I only exp in areas with casters I can both ToT AND wandering mind. Those 2 spells with clarity 2 are pretty decent regen, especially considering I don’t raid and am not going to no-life the prayer shawl, so I’ll never have a flowing thought item

This means I’m constantly swapping spells, mostly between slow, invis (charm breaks), nukes to kill the charmed pet, etc

I don’t mind, I would much rather have tons of micromanagement than almost no micro like on a boring as F melee. Makes the game feel more proactive

I’ll have the mob the pet was fighting rooted, the charmed pet itself pulled slightly out of its melee range (because charmed pet is almost dead) rooted, and I’ll even usually have a 3rd mob pulled to me, tashed and rooted waiting to become the new pet

This way I can invis to break charm, stun and root the charmed pet, nuke each once while rotating root around again, and charm the 3rd full health mob and use it to finish off the other 2 so I don’t have to downgrade a smaller nuke on them. Since my first nuke did 50% of the pet’s and the other mob’s remaining health, I still get full 100% exp for the charmed pet finishing them

All of this easily done without the use of the GGR, and without any mana issues thanks to having 3 diff mana returning spells, I’m usually between 3/4 to full mana throughout. Nor do I have to ever stop unless to rebuff

unsunghero
07-20-2023, 03:19 PM
ToT up when dealing on casters.

I think it was Toxigen who told me to spam mez on casters, that’s what I do

I start casting mez, and if the caster isn’t casting before mez is about to finish, then I take a step to stop mez, then immediately start casting mez again

With the pushback from the charmed pet, when the enemy caster starts up a spell, my mez will finish first. Spell gets interrupted, I immediately start casting mez again. This way I can interrupt about 80%-ish of their casts at range. The only downside is that I can’t meditate, but mez is so cheap it’s not a problem for mana

If I need to interrupt 100% of enemy spells, alternating mez and 1 stun will do it. I just dislike having to walk into stun range since sometimes hitboxes are weird and mob swings on me and chunks off my damage absorb shield