PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to P99?

Zalora
02-11-2023, 04:11 PM
To tide myself over before the release of Green 2.0 (if it ever happens), I'm looking for alternative MMOs to play. Are there any other EQ private servers that have similar qualities as P99 (no multiboxing, no increased rates, etc)? Or maybe other oldschool-style MMOs that an EQ player would like (or interesting private servers for them)? Doesn't necessarily have to be popular.

These modern MMOs like WoW and FF14 just aren't doing it for me. :confused:

loramin
02-11-2023, 04:38 PM
Are there any other EQ private servers that have similar qualities as P99 (no multiboxing, ...

No to that (key) part right there. Every other major EQ server allows multi-boxing, which is probably a huge part of why P99 is so popular in spite of of it's classicness.

If you can stomach triple-boxing being allowed, I've heard TakP is a great server, and it goes up to (I believe) PoP. That may be your best bet.

Lune
02-11-2023, 04:46 PM
There is a cottage MMO called Haven and Hearth which, if caught at the release of a new world, is the single purest source of "that original MMO" feeling I've ever been able to replicate in adult life.

It's a soft permadeath full PvP and PvE survival MMO designed by two insufferable Swedish libertarians. You start naked and alone in a very large procedurally generated world (takes over a full IRL day to travel across). You tame the land, domesticate crops and animals, hunt, roam, settle, build a farmstead, a town, or a civilization with other players, or strike it out on your own as a hermit, get involved in global or regional politics, join a player faction, find and trade coveted resources, and try not to get murdered by Russians, Koreans, or bears. The game uses a system of hybrid online/offline progression reminiscent of Eve Online.

It has some rough edges, like EQ, but if you can get into it it can be extremely rewarding. They essentially created the holy grail of sandbox player-run emergent open world PvP that Darkfall attempted so many years ago. Usually well over 1,000 people in a new world, steadily declining to a few hundred over the next year or two until it all gets wiped and starts over again with a new world. I believe they are on their 14th or 15th iteration.

Evia
02-11-2023, 04:51 PM
I've been playing Eden which is a Daoc "classic" server. They have some modern things but it's mostly like it was in the early 00s. Just google eden daoc to get started if it sounds interesting to you.

I'm in Albion mostly but every realm is pretty interesting in their own way.

Jobaber
02-11-2023, 04:59 PM
Ive been wanting to try eden.

Swish
02-12-2023, 04:07 AM
No to that (key) part right there. Every other major EQ server allows multi-boxing, which is probably a huge part of why P99 is so popular in spite of of it's classicness.

If you can stomach triple-boxing being allowed, I've heard TakP is a great server, and it goes up to (I believe) PoP. That may be your best bet.

It does, and it is.

Encroaching Death
02-12-2023, 10:32 AM
designed by two insufferable Swedish libertarians

Notch?

Encroaching Death
02-12-2023, 10:36 AM
There's an emu server for almost every classic MMO imaginable out there.

Eden DAoC just launched recently.

If you like EQ, TAKP seems to be popular.

Ashersons Call server called Levistras.

Even City of Heroes has a couple of servers.

I think the Warhammer MMO server relaunched?

There's a ton out there.

Swish
02-12-2023, 09:22 PM
There's an emu server for almost every classic MMO imaginable out there.

Eden DAoC just launched recently.

If you like EQ, TAKP seems to be popular.

Ashersons Call server called Levistras.

Even City of Heroes has a couple of servers.

I think the Warhammer MMO server relaunched?

There's a ton out there.

It did, definitely has a cult following.

Toxigen
02-13-2023, 09:50 AM
Not a MMO but Champions of Norrath for PS2 is a hoot.

Encroaching Death
02-13-2023, 09:51 AM
Not a MMO but Champions of Norrath for PS2 is a hoot.

I used to play the shit out of that back in the day.

So good.

Patrece
02-15-2023, 06:34 AM
P99 is popular because it isn't a cash shop and provides a mostly authentic MMO experience.

It manages to succeed in spite of the custom changes it has made.

Valakut
02-18-2023, 01:49 PM
OP check out Shards of Dalaya. If you are a fan of Everquest I think you will appreciate it. There is boxing but it's capped at two which isn't nearly as powerful as you might think.

Ekco
02-19-2023, 03:50 AM
It manages to succeed in spite of the custom changes it has made.

OP check out Shards of Dalaya.

oof, that hit in the feels, rip to shards that had 1200~ people online raiding better content before p99 launched

Jimjam
02-19-2023, 08:59 AM
Minecraft is pretty good if you want something similar to the early level game where you’re gathering mats to make weapons, armour, food etc.

Evia
02-19-2023, 10:07 AM
Minecraft is pretty good if you want something similar to the early level game where you’re gathering mats to make weapons, armour, food etc.

ever try portal knights?

its like if minecraft and rpg's like EQ/WoW combined. It's pretty fun! I picked up 4 copies on switch so I could play with my kids. I thought i'd be compromising for their sake in game quality, but it's a ton of fun.

Jimjam
02-19-2023, 10:16 AM
Oh we have a switch - do you need a console per player or can you play split screen?

It was my quarterling that introduced me to minecraft, was amazed how much it reminded me of playing eq as a newb since it was never ‘sold’ to me in that way.

magnetaress
02-19-2023, 10:22 AM
takp

also get a bis toon on red99 if u havent already its an entirely different game than blue and or green

Basanos
02-19-2023, 12:03 PM
oof, that hit in the feels, rip to shards that had 1200~ people online raiding better content before p99 launchedI played a Paladin & Druid on Shards of Dalaya for years, loved that custom content R.I.P. shards

Ekco
02-19-2023, 04:33 PM
I played a Paladin & Druid on Shards of Dalaya for years, loved that custom content R.I.P. shards

i was with the group that got caught exploiting forest gloom, then tao nerfed rangers. kinda lost interest after that, tier 10+ shit was getting amazing, sucks people had to cheat to get a edge over.. i forget who the other guild was honestly, i don't even remember what guild i was in at this point. Phoenix Rising turned into FWF and uh forget the 2nd guild's name. was when 2 solid guilds were fighting over https://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/wiki/The_Spires_of_Saitha before p99, or before i left shards for p99 i forget

https://shardsofdalaya.com/fomelo/fomelo.php?char=Oshieh

Basanos
02-19-2023, 04:37 PM
Goon Squad for life, I never made it past tier 4 on my Paladin but he was a ringer for a few lower end raid guilds breaking in

Ekco
02-19-2023, 05:02 PM
pickup raids with pally ringers were some of the best raids i did, how i got my start was when https://shardsofdalaya.com/fomelo/fomelo.php?char=drukal started sniping targets at all hours of the night. and chaotic winds might of been the guild i was in, now that i looked at drukal's fomelo

Evia
02-21-2023, 03:04 PM

they let you play split screen i believe but only 2 people?
definitely worth getting a copy on each switch imho if you're playing with more than 2.
im not sure if they have cross platform play or not? but it is on multiple platforms.

if you pick it up lmk what ya think!

Jimjam
02-21-2023, 04:54 PM
they let you play split screen i believe but only 2 people?
definitely worth getting a copy on each switch imho if you're playing with more than 2.
im not sure if they have cross platform play or not? but it is on multiple platforms.

if you pick it up lmk what ya think!

There is a good chance we already have it. Little victories like doing well on a course work, grading at martial arts, reaching the next stage at swimming, are usually celebrated with a new switch game. Many get forgotten about.

Will dig thru the basket!

Treefall
02-21-2023, 05:08 PM
If they get local network COOP play up soonish, Lantern EQ is looking to remake Classic on a modern engine.

To be honest running the alpha feels like a dream come true already. It feels so classic but smooth.

I hope that some day p99 and Lantern EQ meet and have smooth running classic babies.

Ekco
02-21-2023, 05:14 PM
unless p99 hands over the database, its gonna take them awhile to unfuck that default PEQ one, unless that shit is just out in the wild these days, i don't go looking for that shit anymore

Encroaching Death
02-21-2023, 05:25 PM
pickup raids with pally ringers were some of the best raids i did, how i got my start was when https://shardsofdalaya.com/fomelo/fomelo.php?char=drukal started sniping targets at all hours of the night. and chaotic winds might of been the guild i was in, now that i looked at drukal's fomelo

What's the population like on SoD? Anything like P99?

Ekco
02-21-2023, 05:28 PM
it's like red last i logged in, you'd need to move an entire guild to the server and start at tier 1 to prolly to have any fun. they do seasons now that sorta gets people playing again but i haven't bothered. its legit one of the best handcrafted custom everquest servers to exist though. like the main quest story was written by someone who actually gave a fuck, it was cool.

Basanos
02-21-2023, 06:40 PM
What's the population like on SoD? Anything like P99?Now it looks to be less than 100 on peak in the server list, when I see it anyways. Lots of those will be twoboxes I guess.

Back when I played it was usually about 1000+ during peak hours. SoD had a lot of 6 person custom content and I think all the raids were capped at 18 ppl if drug addled memory serves so it worked alright.

Swish
02-21-2023, 11:30 PM
it's like red last i logged in, you'd need to move an entire guild to the server and start at tier 1 to prolly to have any fun. they do seasons now that sorta gets people playing again but i haven't bothered. its legit one of the best handcrafted custom everquest servers to exist though. like the main quest story was written by someone who actually gave a fuck, it was cool.

Seasons is a concept a lot of EQ players can get behind, I'm surprised red hasn't had a seasons thing put on it.

aussenseiter
02-21-2023, 11:32 PM
all the raids were capped at 18 ppl

:o

Swish
02-22-2023, 12:02 AM
I think all the raids were capped at 18 ppl if drug addled memory serves so it worked alright.

Sounds like Imperium lol

A Knight
02-22-2023, 12:47 AM
What client do I need to play TAKP? Thats the Luclin one right?

Swish
02-22-2023, 12:54 AM
What client do I need to play TAKP? Thats the Luclin one right?

The path starts here... easier to post that :)

https://wiki.takp.info/index.php?title=Getting_Started

Basanos
02-22-2023, 12:56 AM
:oI don't know if this is praise or mockery, I have not raided on p1999 except maybe three times and have no perspective on what's classic or not

I certainly don't remember if there were caps on live, or how any of that content worked at all

aussenseiter
02-22-2023, 01:04 AM
I don't know if this is praise or mockery, I have not raided on p1999 except maybe three times and have no perspective on what's classic or not

I certainly don't remember if there were caps on live, or how any of that content worked at all

Wiz/Zodium blew it up when we 1 grouped GOTSS (https://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/wiki/Guardian_of_the_Sun_Shrine). Was 36 before.

I was also there when they blew up the Moon.

Basanos
02-22-2023, 01:14 AM
Wiz/Zodium blew it up when we 1 grouped GOTSS (https://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/wiki/Guardian_of_the_Sun_Shrine). Was 36 before.

I was also there when they blew up the Moon.Maybe that was before my time, I only ever remember it being 18 but my memory sucks and those were very alcoholic times for me. I don't even remember what years I played clearly. I remember killing GOTSS a few times, but we sure had more than six people. I dunno what they did later, but GS at the time was a mid-level raid guild.

aussenseiter
02-22-2023, 01:19 AM
Maybe that was before my time, I only ever remember it being 18 but my memory sucks and those were very alcoholic times for me. I don't even remember what years I played clearly. I remember killing GOTSS a few times, but we sure had more than six people. I dunno what they did later, but GS at the time was a mid-level raid guild.

I think I quit, not because of, but around the time the Mormons took over.

Dunno what happened after that but I heard the new project lead went to Brazil for sexytimes.

Chewybunny
02-25-2023, 08:22 PM
Is there an active EQ2 Emu out there?

Trexller
02-27-2023, 08:30 PM
Is there an active EQ2 Emu out there?

ban this person