PDA

View Full Version : Non-Kindle e-readers

pink grapefruit
02-08-2023, 12:49 PM
Literature was my first love, and now I'm in a cool book (wine) club along with reading stuff on my own. I love my Kindles and I use them every day, but I'm also kind of disgusted with them. It's so gross that Amazon puts ads on them that you either pay or beg tech support to remove, and it's unhealthy that Amazon has such a chokehold on the market of digital publishing.

So I bought a new Onyx Boox Leaf 2, my first ever non-Kindle reader. I missed the delivery driver yesterday and now UPS wants me to pick it up from them which sucks, but I'm kinda excited.

What's awful of Amazon is that they have purposefully made the Kindle app for other devices slow and graphically unpleasant. They look alright on phones, but these e-paper Android devices make the page turn animation into something painful. So I'm sideloading a bunch of books on this new device when I get it.

anyway. what do you use, and are you happy with it?

Basanos
02-08-2023, 01:02 PM
I use physical books. I am usually happy with them. I try to avoid Amazon as much as I reasonably can.

Physical books can be dirty. I get them second-hand, usually through Thriftbooks since I try to avoid Amazon however I reasonably can. Sometimes they are nasty. I've found dead bugs in books and my wife claims she once got pinkeye from a library book.

I have used a regular Kindle. Back when I flew a lot for work I read the hell out of a lot of books on it. I also had the ads version.

My brother self-published through Amazon's service, and he made some decent money doing it, but he has complaints as well. So did this guy I used to work with, but he's only ever lost money doing it.

The fact that you can get a lot of older books for free for e-readers is nice, though. I remember being impressed with the fact that the simpler Kindles only needed to be charged once every three days or something, even if you read for hours each day. Until the battery aged, I still have that one and the battery doesn't hold much of a charge anymore.

Toxigen
02-08-2023, 01:27 PM
I'm a real page turner myself. Still have a library card in my wallet.

mcoy
02-08-2023, 01:41 PM
I still use my REB1100. Getting books on it is a huge pain, and it can't handle more than 199 titles. Battery still lasts me about 2 weeks on a charge. The rubberized coating is turning back into oil, but a wipedown with wd40 every month or so keeps it from being sticky.

-Mcoy

Encroaching Death
02-08-2023, 01:50 PM
I read Rich Dad Poor Dad and then I stopped reading books and started grindin

Basanos
02-08-2023, 02:09 PM
I read Rich Dad Poor Dad and then I stopped reading books and started grindinWow, the dude who wrote that book was in est. I didn't realize that. More damage done to society by another predatory self-help grifter.

pink grapefruit
02-08-2023, 02:23 PM
I read Rich Dad Poor Dad and then I stopped reading books and started grindin

I love the self-help genre!

That book seems very sketchy tho. I highly recommend How to Change by Katy Milkman, and Do Hard Things by Steve Magness (this one is written more for athletic types).

Jobaber
02-08-2023, 02:41 PM
Wow, the dude who wrote that book was in est. I didn't realize that. More damage done to society by another predatory self-help grifter.

spoiler the strategies work no matter what country you live in in any economic model.

Basanos
02-08-2023, 05:22 PM
spoiler the strategies work no matter what country you live in in any economic model.I am familiar with how cults work and how some of their organizing principles apply to things other than cults

Jobaber
02-08-2023, 05:24 PM
haha lol

Swish
02-08-2023, 05:53 PM
I like real books because the content can't be altered/"fixed" after the fact :)

Also you can sell a real book after you're done and recoup some of the cost.

magnetaress
02-08-2023, 05:57 PM
Get a FOSS/ gnu device and scour the web for pdfs or a repository.

I once found a repo of every dnd book ever published literally scanned in images and all. It was probably hosted from Ukraine tho :(

The reason for kindle being a success is basically well indexed up to date instant access to whatever. And you don't need petabytes of costly storage/ hosting that would die in a few decades without regular maintenance and RAID which can be a pita for a novice.

Swish
02-08-2023, 06:07 PM
Scribd used to be like that, you could get ahold of PDFs of just about anything...but the lawyers were always going to turn up.

pink grapefruit
02-10-2023, 01:29 PM
https://i.imgur.com/gpvdpR8.jpg

ignore the pilling of my blanket :(

finally picked up my new reader today! immediately hate the free case, so i think i'll find a sleeve for it. gotta figure out how to use it; have some research to do. does anyone know if .mobi or .epub is better for android devices? i'm so used to converting everything to azw3

the bunnies are cute but i'd prefer book covers. hopefully that is a setting you can change. also got this adorable popsocket xD

https://i.imgur.com/pJdr2fW.jpg

Jobaber
02-10-2023, 01:32 PM
E-readers are designed by satan to change books over time to make the mandala effect more pronounced.

prove me wrong!

pink grapefruit
02-10-2023, 08:21 PM
boy it's been a headache trying to get the books on the device. seems to be a compatibility issue between macos and android. this app "android file transfer" worked and i have 80 books on the device now, but it took several tries and this software is buggy af.

i put the google playstore on leaf 2 and put some apps on. the basic application for reading books is Boox Neo Reader and it's fairly snappy but doesn't seem as "smooth" as my kindle. i know there are other applications it can use, koreader being a big one.

the warm light isn't nearly as "warm" as the kindle, but the brightness can be adjusted to a good level. overall i'm feeling like it's just not quite as good as a kindle, which sucks lol.

i'm gonna read the second half of warbreaker on this device and then probably read all of hidden figures on it. about to place the adorable popsocket now to read in bed <3