PDA

View Full Version : Solo gearing options for a wizard?

tadkins
01-25-2023, 12:28 AM
In the 50s right now and I'm trying to improve my wizard as best I can on my own. I don't really have any friends, and I've gone through 3 guilds trying to find a real home with no luck.

Right now my game time consists of either killing OOT sisters and WK/QH guards for money, and the occasional quadding session in CS for exp. Money is coming slowly and steadily, but it'll probably be many months of work before I can afford any single decent item.

In the meantime I'd love to know if there are any good items I can quest or camp for as a solo 50ish wizard. I had recently gotten shawl 4 and the Seal of Thoridain, though I don't think I will really be able to go further as shawl 5 pieces can only be acquired in Velks. Any suggestions on things I can go for?

Ripqozko
01-25-2023, 12:56 AM
In the 50s right now and I'm trying to improve my wizard as best I can on my own. I don't really have any friends, and I've gone through 3 guilds trying to find a real home with no luck.

Right now my game time consists of either killing OOT sisters and WK/QH guards for money, and the occasional quadding session in CS for exp. Money is coming slowly and steadily, but it'll probably be many months of work before I can afford any single decent item.

In the meantime I'd love to know if there are any good items I can quest or camp for as a solo 50ish wizard. I had recently gotten shawl 4 and the Seal of Thoridain, though I don't think I will really be able to go further as shawl 5 pieces can only be acquired in Velks. Any suggestions on things I can go for?

Sanctum has like 17 guilds, surely 1 would work for you.

tadkins
01-25-2023, 01:10 AM
Sanctum has like 17 guilds, surely 1 would work for you.

Don't know what that is, but I'm guessing that's a blue thing. Sadly I'm on green, and at this point I don't think any guild is going to work for me here.

Ripqozko
01-25-2023, 01:21 AM
Don't know what that is, but I'm guessing that's a blue thing. Sadly I'm on green, and at this point I don't think any guild is going to work for me here.

Ah, consider blue. Sorry you got green

Toxigen
01-25-2023, 09:33 AM
you picked one of the worst classes to farm plat on - maybe time to take a break from wizard and roll an enchanter

sorry you got wizzie and no guild

tadkins
01-25-2023, 05:52 PM
you picked one of the worst classes to farm plat on - maybe time to take a break from wizard and roll an enchanter

sorry you got wizzie and no guild

Enchanter is the one class I've honestly tried to like in this game. I love all the cool flashy shit they get and multiple times I wanted to make one into a main. Never got past level 15 though. The last time I tried, I was twinked pretty well and it still took 50% health and 100% mana just to kill two bandits.

But that aside, knowing all this stuff just kind of kills my interest in the class.

-It's a genuinely tough class with a very high skillcap.
-Even the best of enchanters die regularly.
-It's difficult to do tradeskills with given that we're not allowed to put our points into INT. My enchanter had as hard of a time doing tailoring as my ranger did.
-The epic is gatekept to hell and back by the cartels controlling Verina and Drozlin.
-It's a very popular class nonetheless and might have raid stacking issues.

All of that is why I have a tough time getting into an enchanter. But this thread isn't about rerolling into another class or trying to find a guild. It's about finding cool soloable no-drop Seal of Thoridain style items that my wizard could work toward. Does anyone have any suggestions on that front?

DeathsSilkyMist
01-27-2023, 12:20 AM
Enchanter is the one class I've honestly tried to like in this game. I love all the cool flashy shit they get and multiple times I wanted to make one into a main. Never got past level 15 though. The last time I tried, I was twinked pretty well and it still took 50% health and 100% mana just to kill two bandits.

But that aside, knowing all this stuff just kind of kills my interest in the class.

-It's difficult to do tradeskills with given that we're not allowed to put our points into INT. My enchanter had as hard of a time doing tailoring as my ranger did.
-The epic is gatekept to hell and back by the cartels controlling Verina and Drozlin.

All of that is why I have a tough time getting into an enchanter. But this thread isn't about rerolling into another class or trying to find a guild. It's about finding cool soloable no-drop Seal of Thoridain style items that my wizard could work toward. Does anyone have any suggestions on that front?

I don't really know what items you have, so I will just list some things off:

https://wiki.project1999.com/Wenglawks_Manly_Purse This is a pretty easy quest, and you get a nice bag from it. You will either need to get Kael faction, or have someone MQ the mechanical net you give to the siren. You should be able to solo the CS sirens for scales.

https://wiki.project1999.com/The_Mystic_Cloak - You probably know this one, but just throwing it out.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Titan_Samples_(good) - This gives you some good INT pieces, astral legs of the titan.

https://wiki.project1999.com/The_Velium_Focus - never done this one before, but i think its doable solo. EDIT: Looks like the last part may need a group actually.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Helssen%27s_Prismatic_Trinket - Also needs Kael faction, and this is more of an Enchanter item. But +55 raw mana isn't bad if you have 200+ INT already.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Rough_Silver_Chain - Not a bad alternative to necklace of superiority/4+ dragon necks.

tadkins
01-27-2023, 02:55 AM
I don't really know what items you have, so I will just list some things off:

https://wiki.project1999.com/Wenglawks_Manly_Purse This is a pretty easy quest, and you get a nice bag from it. You will either need to get Kael faction, or have someone MQ the mechanical net you give to the siren. You should be able to solo the CS sirens for scales.

https://wiki.project1999.com/The_Mystic_Cloak - You probably know this one, but just throwing it out.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Titan_Samples_(good) - This gives you some good INT pieces, astral legs of the titan.

https://wiki.project1999.com/The_Velium_Focus - never done this one before, but i think its doable solo. EDIT: Looks like the last part may need a group actually.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Helssen%27s_Prismatic_Trinket - Also needs Kael faction, and this is more of an Enchanter item. But +55 raw mana isn't bad if you have 200+ INT already.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Rough_Silver_Chain - Not a bad alternative to necklace of superiority/4+ dragon necks.

Appreciate the suggestions but none of those actually seem doable, sadly.

Purse and trinket are as you say, both Kael faction. I'm pretty deep in the dwarf and dragon rabbit hole unfortunately. Also dunno how much success I'll have as a wizard trying to reach the 6th floor of ToFS.

Mystic cloak is nice, but I actually have the cloak of the maelstrom already. The only thing I've been able to master in this game is acquiring a collection of 1-2k EC tunnel trash items. Likewise with the titan samples, though the leggings actually would be nice. I have a better cloak and robe already. Can the gorilla and panda be soloed by a wizard though? Panda doesn't seem to be rootable or snarable from what I read on the wiki.

Rough silver chain would be cool too. Dunno if that's better than an amulet of insight, but from reading that quest, it'd be impossible anyway because I can't forage? Could be wrong there but that's what it seems like.

Velium focus is one I would actually really love. The geonids are awesome and I would love to raise faction with them at some point, but yep it's as you say, I would need group help for that.

It's depressing when so much of the game requires help and you don't have it, seriously.

sajbert
01-27-2023, 04:30 AM
Drachnid Thyxl is an option to the phenocryst. Can always check the hills in Dreadlands nearby Frontier Mountains entrance. If the mob is up and has it it’ll be visible on it. Ask someone to help ya kill it then.

sajbert
01-27-2023, 08:31 AM
Also don’t reroll if you’re looking to raid. Through raiding you can get the items and plat you desire. Grouping? Well, not so much. You DO want to get VP-keyed so you can start doing those camps.

At 50 iirc it is cobalt scar that’s your goto quad location. You may be able to quad kelethin guards too at that level.

Wizards don’t need gear aside from some basic int stuff and jboots and flux staff. after that resists and epic, and even manna robe or manastone if you wanna be fancy.

If you wanna group or solo dungeons wizard isn’t the class for you. Enchanter, necro and shaman is what you want then. And as for enchanters, it’s only as hard as you make it. It can be safe (ish) or super dangerous.

Snaggles
01-27-2023, 11:31 AM
Bind on Hammer Hill or get an OT mallet. When you are bored or doing chores sit there and sling TL’s to people for plat when you aren’t leveling.

When you want to grind, head over so where and quad.

Jimjam
01-27-2023, 12:38 PM
I bound at OOT AC and quaded specs / seafuries. Or burnt AC ph. Or port to cs to quad wyverns/drakes. Careful with the drakes though, they got a dragon breath thing.

Apparently WL suits are good but I never tried it.

Eye of Zomm + worker’s mallet for bank / finding fares. Lost staff of the scorned for vendor / bank.

Tewaz
01-27-2023, 03:42 PM

Not trying to sound mean here, but most of these points are wrong. Enc is a very fun and fast leveling class.

1-20 use your summoned pet. Give it a high damage 2h rusted weapon and it will murder most things.

Enchanters die when they are doing difficult content, not while leveling outside solo stuff 50+.

High charisma helps with lull, pacify, etc and a bit on charming. If you want to build in int, go crazy.

Epic is a nice item, but the effect on it isn't used for most hasting at the highest level. It isn't a must have like Cleric or Rogue epics are.

tadkins
01-27-2023, 06:13 PM
Drachnid Thyxl is an option to the phenocryst.

Oh yeah I found that one. Looked interesting, but I do genuinely fear that I could camp the area, get the widow to spawn, ask in the zone for help, and some 60 good guy comes and just takes it instead. People are seriously mean and opportunistic on this server.

Also don’t reroll if you’re looking to raid. Through raiding you can get the items and plat you desire.

That's what I've heard but tbh I've been through three guilds on this server and none of them felt like a home. It's why I've made peace with being a solo player.

get an OT mallet.

I do really want one of those still.

I bound at OOT AC and quaded specs / seafuries. Or burnt AC ph. Or port to cs to quad wyverns/drakes. Careful with the drakes though, they got a dragon breath thing.

Apparently WL suits are good but I never tried it.

Eye of Zomm + worker’s mallet for bank / finding fares. Lost staff of the scorned for vendor / bank.

yup my life is basically wyverns right now, haha

Not trying to sound mean here, but most of these points are wrong. Enc is a very fun and fast leveling class.

Naw it doesn't sound mean. I totally get it. Those points are all things I'm glad to be wrong on, because part of me keeps getting the urge to try enchanter over and over again.

On the epic thing though, it really is mostly because I still dream of earning an epic one day. It's still a life goal of mine. So I've been just shying away from classes with the insanely tough epics (enchanter, bard, mage, etc) and have considered trying classes solely because they have easy epics, like rogue or cleric or shaman. I picked wizard in the end because while it isn't the easiest, it's also not impossible like some. The happy balance between those two examples.

PatChapp
01-27-2023, 08:14 PM
Oh yeah I found that one. Looked interesting, but I do genuinely fear that I could camp the area, get the widow to spawn, ask in the zone for help, and some 60 good guy comes and just takes it instead. People are seriously mean and opportunistic on this server.

That's what I've heard but tbh I've been through three guilds on this server and none of them felt like a home. It's why I've made peace with being a solo player.

I do really want one of those still.

yup my life is basically wyverns right now, haha

Naw it doesn't sound mean. I totally get it. Those points are all things I'm glad to be wrong on, because part of me keeps getting the urge to try enchanter over and over again.

On the epic thing though, it really is mostly because I still dream of earning an epic one day. It's still a life goal of mine. So I've been just shying away from classes with the insanely tough epics (enchanter, bard, mage, etc) and have considered trying classes solely because they have easy epics, like rogue or cleric or shaman. I picked wizard in the end because while it isn't the easiest, it's also not impossible like some. The happy balance between those two examples.

People on this server are overall friendly.
You will never get a wizard epic unless you join a raiding guild and raid at least occasionally.

tadkins
01-27-2023, 08:47 PM
People on this server are overall friendly.

I truly wish I could believe that, but I've experienced nothing but neglect and abuse from fellow players here.

You will never get a wizard epic unless you join a raiding guild and raid at least occasionally.

I'm aware. All I can do is hope that green does merge with blue, or that open raids become a thing again. Until then i'm just trying to have fun with the game as much as possible solo. I can still at least get to 60 on my own, and no one has a say in that. Maybe that drachnid thyxl will become soloable at 60. That can be my "epic".

Vexenu
01-27-2023, 10:19 PM
Dude, stop screwing around on a Wizard and roll a Necro if you're going to continue with this "woe is me I'm a solo player for life" mentality. That's a class that's literally designed to solo. Speaking as someone who's leveled both, you will feel MUCH more powerful and useful on the Necro, and be able to do a lot more stuff solo. It's also a much more fun class. As an unguilded solo player, the Wizard is literally only better for porting yourself around. And that's largely pointless, because... what are you even porting yourself for to begin with? To go be useless in another zone?

tadkins
01-27-2023, 11:20 PM
Dude, stop screwing around on a Wizard and roll a Necro if you're going to continue with this "woe is me I'm a solo player for life" mentality. That's a class that's literally designed to solo. Speaking as someone who's leveled both, you will feel MUCH more powerful and useful on the Necro, and be able to do a lot more stuff solo. It's also a much more fun class. As an unguilded solo player, the Wizard is literally only better for porting yourself around. And that's largely pointless, because... what are you even porting yourself for to begin with? To go be useless in another zone?

Porting is great since chances are, if I do want to do something, that thing is already being done/camped and more often than not on the green server I have to resort to my 4th or 5th choice because everything's so ultra-competitive. On any other class I'd be stuck in OoT waiting for a boat when I find the sisters camped or seafuries overpopulated.

Necro is a great class mechanically but I'm not a fan thematically. I don't want to play something that spends all day in a dusty tomb surrounded by diseases and dead things, and sold their soul to an evil god. It's an overpopulated class too. Never felt like more of a nobody than when I started an iksar necromancer and did a /who in Field of Bone.

Plus their epic is the goofiest looking thing in the world lol.

sajbert
01-28-2023, 04:55 AM
Druid.

Druid has an easier Epic than Wizard.
Druid can quad and port like wizards can.
Druid is easy to raid with like Wizards are.

On top of this Druids can solo more loot camps (even stuff like Siren’s Grotto and PoM) than wizard. They also have animal charm which makes for more fun leveling options. They can harmony and are able to powerlevel others. It’s not a complicated class.

You won’t be popular in groups but better than wizard and you won’t ”need” a VP key for some important item (like Wizard Rend Robe and Flames of Ro staff).

tadkins
01-28-2023, 05:01 PM
Druid.

Druid has an easier Epic than Wizard.
Druid can quad and port like wizards can.
Druid is easy to raid with like Wizards are.

On top of this Druids can solo more loot camps (even stuff like Siren’s Grotto and PoM) than wizard. They also have animal charm which makes for more fun leveling options. They can harmony and are able to powerlevel others. It’s not a complicated class.

You won’t be popular in groups but better than wizard and you won’t ”need” a VP key for some important item (like Wizard Rend Robe and Flames of Ro staff).

Druids are cool, for sure. It's probably the second class in the game I've had some success on. It's got a lot of what I like, and if I go human I can even pretend I'm a nature mage with a robe.

I think the only things that really turned me off to druid and put wizard at #1 were their inability to hang out in evil areas, and just due to the sheer population of them on the server. Like right now...

/who all server count: 869
/who all druid count: 134

Definitely lose all sense of uniqueness as a druid.

Might still give it another try one day though.

Danth
01-28-2023, 06:47 PM
A high elf enchanter who puts maximum points in intelligence (25) and the leftover 5 into charisma has as much charisma (95) as a dark elf or gnome is even capable of starting with. Those other races of enchanter obviously get the job done, so their charisma is by definition adequate. Thus the int-focused high elf represents a perfectly valid option for a player who wants more starting intelligence as an enchanter.

The no-drop spider threads from Velketor are common drops and quite often groups will leave someone outside group loot them if he asks politely. Since it's only a short run from the Great Divide portal, that should be obtainable for a wizard who doesn't mind checking on it from time to time. Might even land a group invite.

Danth

tadkins
01-28-2023, 06:51 PM
A high elf enchanter who puts maximum points in intelligence (25) and the leftover 5 into charisma has as much charisma (95) as a dark elf or gnome is even capable of starting with. Those other races of enchanter obviously get the job done, so their charisma is by definition adequate. Thus the int-focused high elf represents a perfectly valid option for a player who wants more starting intelligence as an enchanter.

The no-drop spider threads from Velketor are common drops and quite often groups will leave someone outside group loot them if he asks politely. Since it's only a short run from the Great Divide portal, that should be obtainable for a wizard who doesn't mind checking on it from time to time. Might even land a group invite.

Danth

True that. I typically play humans so putting points in CHA as an enchanter ends up with 90 INT and 110 CHA. My ranger started with 85 WIS I think, so tradeskilling between the characters were about the same level.

I actually zoned into Velks for the first time the other day hoping to loot some of those threads. Minutes later a bard showed me exactly what he thought of that idea by training and killing me. Proved his point and I grabbed my stuff and never went back again. The 5th shawl is just going to be locked to me it looks like.

Danth
01-28-2023, 06:58 PM
Humans may well be the worst enchanter race on P99 due to low overall combined intelligence/charisma. Even stopping at 95 charisma I think you would end up with only 105 intelligence, which i regard as mediocre for that class.

Bards are a plague in Velk lately. If it was up to me I'd delete that class outright. I also lay some responbility on the P99 staff for not specifically outlawing swarm tactics in Velketor on account of that zone's massive amount of pathing- and Z-axis-related issues. Even the best bards there train regularly, most of them are far from the best, and few of them care who they run over in their pursuit of yellow bar progress-quest. Scum class of norrath. Even with them, you'd eventually get your spider threads if you kept at it. It's something to keep in mind.

tadkins
01-28-2023, 07:02 PM
Humans may well be the worst enchanter race on P99 due to low overall combined intelligence/charisma. Even stopping at 95 charisma I think you would end up with only 105 intelligence, which i regard as mediocre for that class.

Bards are a plague in Velk lately. If it was up to me I'd delete that class outright. I also lay some responbility on the P99 staff for not specifically outlawing swarm tactics in Velketor on account of that zone's massive amount of pathing- and Z-axis-related issues. Even the best bards there train regularly, most of them are far from the best, and few of them care who they run over in their pursuit of yellow bar progress-quest. Scum class of norrath. Even with them, you'd eventually get your spider threads if you kept at it. It's something to keep in mind.

That's true. Might actually break character and play a different race for an enchanter if I try again. Thinking either a tunare high elf or a dark elf to save on GGR money.

Definitely right about bards though. Don't think I've run into a single one that wasn't a complete scumlord. Might build up the courage to go back there one of these days, but exp is precious 50+ and I don't have any cleric friends so I try not to do things too risky. Best I can hope for is getting to loot the threads though, have no delusions of getting an actual group in there as a wizard.

Danth
01-28-2023, 07:09 PM
I'd toss ya an invite if I were there. Maybe some day post-merge since the wife and I are on Blue.

tadkins
01-28-2023, 07:47 PM
I'd toss ya an invite if I were there. Maybe some day post-merge since the wife and I are on Blue.

Appreciate that, thanks. I'm still hoping for the merge, only so I can have a fresh new roster of guilds to choose from.

ithaqua
01-28-2023, 08:16 PM
Purse isn’t on giant faction, wenglawks is indifferent to all and the net part is skippable, just hand the three scales to the siren. For the final turn in just invis to him, quickly hand in and gate out (do it with rune up cause helssen will aggro when invis drops)

tadkins
01-28-2023, 08:31 PM
Purse isn’t on giant faction, wenglawks is indifferent to all and the net part is skippable, just hand the three scales to the siren. For the final turn in just invis to him, quickly hand in and gate out (do it with rune up cause helssen will aggro when invis drops)

That's pretty cool. :) I'm actually pretty good on bags though. Got a large soiled and forager bag for food/supplies, three tink bags, a box of abu-kar, a tiny coin purse and a free slot for temp flux and jboots.

Grinding guards and sisters for cash is probably the one thing I'm okay at lols.

Tann
02-02-2023, 03:35 PM
due to the sheer population of them on the server. Like right now...

/who all server count: 869
/who all druid count: 134

Definitely lose all sense of uniqueness as a druid.

Might still give it another try one day though.

As a fellow solo4life person I gotta say you're looking at this all wrong, if you're playing for you and you only then who cares if 99% of the server is also playing class_x? Uniqueness doesn't apply to a game old enough to buy booze.

Chortles Snortles
02-03-2023, 10:27 AM

we told him this months ago

Toxigen
02-03-2023, 02:53 PM

Max mana pool means almost nothing with C2. Enc gearing is 205 CHA > FT 8 > HP > AC - all of your options basically have some combo of int/mana on them too.

How many times are you going to die running oom as an enc vs. dying to a bad pet break?

Anyone not going max CHA high elf enc is just missing out on an opportunity to replace their pure CHA gear with beefier stat gear later on (think neriad shawl --> shawl of perception, vyemm gloves, etc). You have illusion spells, use them if you don't like the high elf look.

Jimjam
02-03-2023, 05:15 PM
Hmmm.

Honestly you may be on to something.

No gear is going to compare to spending 20 mins getting c2/potg then laughblasting your way through things until the inevitable twin sadnesses of c2 then potg fading.

ithaqua
02-03-2023, 09:43 PM
Ft gear compares and stacks with c2/potg )

tadkins
02-04-2023, 01:24 AM
As a fellow solo4life person I gotta say you're looking at this all wrong, if you're playing for you and you only then who cares if 99% of the server is also playing class_x? Uniqueness doesn't apply to a game old enough to buy booze.

It's just that part of the reason I enjoy a wizard is because I know there isn't as many of us as there is of other classes. I can feel slightly more unique. Oftentimes I might be the only wizard available and that means I appear on someone's radar, however briefly.

But I suppose there is a reason there aren't as many wizards.

Max mana pool means almost nothing with C2. Enc gearing is 205 CHA > FT 8 > HP > AC - all of your options basically have some combo of int/mana on them too.

How many times are you going to die running oom as an enc vs. dying to a bad pet break?

Anyone not going max CHA high elf enc is just missing out on an opportunity to replace their pure CHA gear with beefier stat gear later on (think neriad shawl --> shawl of perception, vyemm gloves, etc). You have illusion spells, use them if you don't like the high elf look.

Just that higher int makes things easier at lower levels, and makes things easier to tradeskill. I do tradeskills on basically all of my characters and having my enchanter struggle as much as my melee classes really sucks. Before I can get to those vaunted OP charm levels I basically have to kill mobs like a mage, and that takes mana. How do you get past them without a good mana pool?

Bobjenson
02-04-2023, 05:10 PM
INT does basically nothing before level 30/40. Ench early game all you do is buff pet with haste/ac, tash mob, root mob, whack it with your staff once and backup so pet engages, slow mob and re-root as needed. With breeze at 16, leveling is a breeze. Once you hit 16/20/24 you just do the same thing with a charmed pet but no need to whack it.

Keep your target rootef and back up incase of a charm break.

Beside bard, it is literally the fastest and once you get used to it, it is very safe/efficient and only gets easier as you level.

Toxigen
02-07-2023, 01:36 PM
pump it up

Tann
02-07-2023, 04:23 PM
Make 1000% and more within 1 day

1000% of zero is still zero

magnetaress
02-14-2023, 11:02 PM
Wizards excell at two things.

Quadding to 60 or nuking a mob in a fairly afk fashion.

Raiding and or PvP (they're the same thing).

They are great for being easy to play. They don't even need serious gear unless you are going to quad geonids and suits. In prekunark gear they are passive afk plat with the least amount of focus necessary.

I agree with others tho. You want to play a necromancer.

Snaggles
02-15-2023, 03:30 PM
Technically you can just single kill your way to 60. How two of my melees got finished off.

Sure, it's much slower but opens up more camps. If you can tab over and kill something every 6 mins 40 seconds it's not 75% slower though than quadding. It's more attentive gameplay but those kills also happen quicker.

tadkins
02-15-2023, 04:43 PM
You want to play a necromancer.

I don't, though. I don't like necromancers thematically and their epic is the goofiest looking thing in the world.

I just wish we could play the classes we want in this game without penalty. Wizard is what I identify as, and I can't change that. If we had a more accepting community here it wouldn't be an issue.

Technically you can just single kill your way to 60. How two of my melees got finished off.

Sure, it's much slower but opens up more camps. If you can tab over and kill something every 6 mins 40 seconds it's not 75% slower though than quadding. It's more attentive gameplay but those kills also happen quicker.

Yup I have no problem with that. Made peace with it a long time ago actually when I realized that the few 55+ quad spots are gonna be massively contested.

greatdane
02-16-2023, 05:18 PM
Play the class you want to play. As long as you're aware of the wizard's shortcomings, but still want to play it, that's the right choice for you. Don't worry what others say, even though they're right about the class.

tadkins
02-16-2023, 08:56 PM
Play the class you want to play. As long as you're aware of the wizard's shortcomings, but still want to play it, that's the right choice for you. Don't worry what others say, even though they're right about the class.

I am playing what I want to play (wizard). I just wish being a wizard didn't also mean "you won't get to see Mistmoore until you can solo it at level 60".

Snaggles
02-18-2023, 12:15 PM
I am playing what I want to play (wizard). I just wish being a wizard didn't also mean "you won't get to see Mistmoore until you can solo it at level 60".

I soloed a wizard to 52 in HK on single spawn kills. I’m sure you can do that to 60. I’ve soloed 4 level 60’s on single blue spawns.

If you are pissed people don’t want wizards in groups don’t feel too bad. They don’t really want rangers, mages or necro’s either. Exp is slower in groups too. Even over most single spawn solo camps.

Embrace being a recluse. It helps.

wuanahto
02-18-2023, 05:24 PM
If we had a more accepting community here it wouldn't be an issue.

This is not a community issue, its a game mechanics issue
Just like with hybrids, non-cleric healing and other misc things. Wizards did not shine until Luclin

tadkins
02-18-2023, 10:24 PM
Embrace being a recluse. It helps.

I have for the most part, just kinda wish I wasn't so lonely sometimes.

But anyhow my life is still basically wyverns, still getting exp at 55 at least. I plan to milk those for as long as it absolutely stops giving me any shred of exp. Not sure when that will be. After that I dunno where I'll go. Suits in WL are so super contested i'm not sure if those will be an option. May just do the 1 spawn and AFK thing as you suggested. Do you have any ideas there? All I really know of is the exile in Swamp.

This is not a community issue, its a game mechanics issue
Just like with hybrids, non-cleric healing and other misc things. Wizards did not shine until Luclin

Right, but seeing as this is a 20 year old long conquered game, i'd hope that folks weren't so uptight about class choice.

wuanahto
02-19-2023, 05:25 AM
Right, but seeing as this is a 20 year old long conquered game, i'd hope that folks weren't so uptight about class choice.

This game was conquered because of min/maxing.
Warcraft Classic. Warriors and Rogues dominated due to knowledge of 9%+ tohit is elder god king
City of Heroes: Homecoming, due to previous knowledge of 45% defense when fully IO slotted is godlike, less Defenders, Masterminds and Controllers
Star Wars Galaxies: Emu, Mind-damage classes dominate because only two ways to heal Mind damage and that shit comes with longass cooldowns and detrimental effects/wound damage. Also WAY more fucking combat medics this time around due to lesser-known-then diseases and poison damage.
Runescape, more people have defense vs armor trimming

A community is not always a nice community, but still a community.

WizardEQ
02-19-2023, 01:30 PM

I play a main wiz on both Blue and on Green. Honestly, it's all about attitude. If you project a positive outlook on the game, you will actually get into a group, form a group yourself, because as a wizard YOU have the ability to pick up folks everywhere, and then enjoy the group experience. I actually mainly grouped on my blue wizard (Kunark) in Unrest, MM, Lguk, and Seb. If I couldn't find a group at all, I did some singles or quadding. The only real soloing I did purposely was quadding Bloodgills and Raptors because I really wanted to get to 60 as quickly as possible. Again, this was pre-Velious.

About your epic, you will absolutely need a guild. I can't stress this enough. And it will take time, possibly YEARS. I had to wait forever to get VS pre-nerf when the staff was super rare. There were alts getting it before I did as a WIZ MAIN. So yes, you have to be ultra patient in this game to achieve your goals, especially if you want to be an epic'd wiz with high-end gear, i.e., Seb, VP, ToV items.

About plat, I can tell you what I did but it might not translate the same. I did something that AFAIK no other wizard did -- I became a JC'er! All of my initial funding was through JC. It took me one day to do 1-202, and then about 3 weeks to hit 250. At that point I was gearing up folks with full resists sets. I actually never purchased a significant item to wear. My gear was all quested or DKP through my guild. All my plat funds went into other trades which I eventually maxed out or have come very close (baking, pottery, tailoring almost 200). I wanted to be able to do the Shawl Quest right away when it came out, which it did. I also farmed all the pp camps that were common back then. I farmed so many skins, pelts, I can't even tell you how many I got. As an Erudite, I am also a Cultural Tailor, and have made many folks full sets of Steelsilk visible armor. If you want serious dedication, roll an Erudite and start farming Terrorantula Silks. There is nothing more grueling than that! This is coming from someone who took 120 hour to do PS!! That's nothing compared to farming the giant spider silks.

I can tell you I had fun at every point because I knew what I wanted my identity to be (as you referenced earlier). I knew I was choosing a unique path, but that path was solely mine and I relish it to this day. So, find your own path, make it your own, and have fun doing it!

Jimjam
02-19-2023, 02:48 PM
If you choose an interesting path you’ll be cheered on, especially if you broadcast yourself positively.

On red server hatespawn was a warrior gruellingly soloing 1-60 in the lavastorm area and he received a lot of recognition and praise for it.

tadkins
02-20-2023, 01:34 AM
So, find your own path, make it your own, and have fun doing it!

If you choose an interesting path you’ll be cheered on,

I want to but it feels like nothing I do will ever be respected or heralded. I'm just a big loser and a big nobody, and the tiny scraps I seem to be able to dig up is nothing worth celebrating. Getting shawl 4 was a massive challenge for me that took weeks but no one is ever going to say that was a worthy accomplishment. They're just going to laugh at my inability to go further.

I just want to feel like a winner at something in my life, that's all.

ithaqua
02-20-2023, 02:16 AM
I want to but it feels like nothing I do will ever be respected or heralded. I'm just a big loser and a big nobody, and the tiny scraps I seem to be able to dig up is nothing worth celebrating. Getting shawl 4 was a massive challenge for me that took weeks but no one is ever going to say that was a worthy accomplishment. They're just going to laugh at my inability to go further.

And there you have the opposite of what was recommended
>>Honestly, it's all about attitude. If you project a positive outlook on the game,
>>you will actually get into a group, form a group yourself, because as a wizard
>>YOU have the ability to pick up folks everywhere, and then enjoy the group experience.

Others praise and respect won’t do a thing for you if you yourself doesn’t recognise that whatever it is that you do is worthy of praise and respect

tadkins
02-20-2023, 02:51 AM
form a group yourself
You might as well ask me to stop the sun from rising. Leadership is just not something I'm capable of. I don't have the confidence, the connections, or the proper game knowledge to form or lead a group.

Saisu
02-20-2023, 10:20 AM

Meant with all sincerity and respect:
It sounds like you have an issue out-of-game that could use addressing. Depression or burnout or something similar.

You may need to work on things outside EQ first.

Toxigen
02-20-2023, 11:10 AM
You might as well ask me to stop the sun from rising. Leadership is just not something I'm capable of. I don't have the confidence, the connections, or the proper game knowledge to form or lead a group.

wat lol

Snaggles
02-20-2023, 12:11 PM
Ok...then level a cleric AND a wizard. Get your group fun when you want to or sit in a dark corner someplace burning a single spawn down (or quadding).

You know you can have more than one character, right? Try leveling a ranger without a fungi to 60 and then let me know how you think a solo wizard is.

Insaiyan
02-20-2023, 12:56 PM
There is a guild out there for OP.
It’s called Dial-A-Port

Toxigen
02-20-2023, 01:05 PM
There is a guild out there for OP.
It’s called Dial-A-Port

Yeah honestly, best bet is to tag up DAP, bind at Hammer Hill, and get going on that port money. Buy your upgrades. Rejoice.

Jimjam
02-20-2023, 01:51 PM
Yeah honestly, best bet is to tag up DAP, bind at Hammer Hill, and get going on that port money. Buy your upgrades. Rejoice.

Don’t have the confidence to invite people to be ported or ask people to buy their items.

Insaiyan
02-22-2023, 06:48 PM
Don’t have the confidence to invite people to be ported or ask people to buy their items.

Lmao. Legit thought that was OP for a second. I thought, “this fucking guy…” :rolleyes:

Balimon
02-22-2023, 07:27 PM
I play a main wiz on both Blue and on Green. Honestly, it's all about attitude. If you project a positive outlook on the game, you will actually get into a group, form a group yourself, because as a wizard YOU have the ability to pick up folks everywhere, and then enjoy the group experience. I actually mainly grouped on my blue wizard (Kunark) in Unrest, MM, Lguk, and Seb. If I couldn't find a group at all, I did some singles or quadding. The only real soloing I did purposely was quadding Bloodgills and Raptors because I really wanted to get to 60 as quickly as possible. Again, this was pre-Velious.

About your epic, you will absolutely need a guild. I can't stress this enough. And it will take time, possibly YEARS. I had to wait forever to get VS pre-nerf when the staff was super rare. There were alts getting it before I did as a WIZ MAIN. So yes, you have to be ultra patient in this game to achieve your goals, especially if you want to be an epic'd wiz with high-end gear, i.e., Seb, VP, ToV items.

About plat, I can tell you what I did but it might not translate the same. I did something that AFAIK no other wizard did -- I became a JC'er! All of my initial funding was through JC. It took me one day to do 1-202, and then about 3 weeks to hit 250. At that point I was gearing up folks with full resists sets. I actually never purchased a significant item to wear. My gear was all quested or DKP through my guild. All my plat funds went into other trades which I eventually maxed out or have come very close (baking, pottery, tailoring almost 200). I wanted to be able to do the Shawl Quest right away when it came out, which it did. I also farmed all the pp camps that were common back then. I farmed so many skins, pelts, I can't even tell you how many I got. As an Erudite, I am also a Cultural Tailor, and have made many folks full sets of Steelsilk visible armor. If you want serious dedication, roll an Erudite and start farming Terrorantula Silks. There is nothing more grueling than that! This is coming from someone who took 120 hour to do PS!! That's nothing compared to farming the giant spider silks.

I can tell you I had fun at every point because I knew what I wanted my identity to be (as you referenced earlier). I knew I was choosing a unique path, but that path was solely mine and I relish it to this day. So, find your own path, make it your own, and have fun doing it!

Best post I've seen in a long time in this forum. I love your perspective and you're making me miss my wizard in blue!

Jimjam
02-23-2023, 03:40 AM
Lmao. Legit thought that was OP for a second. I thought, “this fucking guy…” :rolleyes:

That post was a bit mean of me - sorry Tadkins! I do enjoy your threads and posts!

What have you been up to recently?

Garnaak
02-23-2023, 06:35 AM
In psychology, cognitive dissonance is the mental stress or discomfort experienced by an individual who holds two or more contradictory beliefs, ideas, or values at the same time.

"I want to be my own person, do what I want to do with no regrets."

"I regret that I am unable to keep up with the Jones's."

tadkins
02-25-2023, 06:54 PM
You guys get what you need out of this thread? I'm glad I could help you all feel superior.

Jimjam
02-26-2023, 04:22 AM
You guys get what you need out of this thread? I'm glad I could help you all feel superior.

Not feeling superior, you are endearing because you are open and honest with mistakes or flaws many of us also have at some times.

It’s not really our place to armchair psychologist or give unsolicited advice but we try to help. And yea, some of us are dicks. Especially me sometimes. Sorry about that!

WizardEQ
02-26-2023, 09:04 AM

Camp PS+RS and sell the MQ for around 35k.

ithaqua
02-26-2023, 05:57 PM

Make a magelo with your gear, easier to suggest upgrades if we know what you’re using now

tadkins
02-27-2023, 04:48 PM
Sorry about that!
it's fine

Make a magelo with your gear, easier to suggest upgrades if we know what you’re using now

Sure, here you are.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Magelo_Green:Tadkinswizard

Jimjam
02-27-2023, 04:54 PM
I suggest replacing one of you gcb with a ring of the ancients just to flex.

Thats some pretty cool gear.

Keep quadding them swans and stuff.

tadkins
02-27-2023, 05:06 PM
I suggest replacing one of you gcb with a ring of the ancients just to flex.

Thats some pretty cool gear.

Keep quadding them swans and stuff.

One is a golden bracer to offset some of the strength hit from the SolRo rings.

But yep that gear lineup only proves I'm good at mindlessly quadding guards for hours on end.

ithaqua
02-27-2023, 10:14 PM
You have pretty decent gear.
If i were you i’d swap out some int gear for raw hp/mana gear, pretty low return on int after 200 and i’d try to save up for a choker of the wretched for the mana regen (or keep at it for the final shawl)

Balimon
02-28-2023, 07:41 PM
Nice gear set up man! Some suggestions I see off the bat, you could get a https://wiki.project1999.com/Black_Sapphire_Velium_Necklace this would be a big upgrade.

I would also consider replacing both earrings with https://wiki.project1999.com/Golden_Black_Sapphire_Earring. You would lose some int but gain a lot of hp/mana.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Squallsurge_Shawl would be another easy upgrade.

You could also buy a https://wiki.project1999.com/Rokyls_Channeling_Crystal for your offhand.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Crimson_Robe_of_Alendine is pricey but a big upgrade.

All of this is stuff you can buy pretty easily if you grind the plat out.

Garnaak
03-03-2023, 01:56 PM
Looking at the magelo, you are geared very well for a non-raid-guilded character. You could possibly start swapping int for raw mana items to maximize, maybe hp items (if you are taking hits while quadding)

Some suggestions to give examples: Golden Chitin Bracer for Supple Scale Armband, Ice Silk Legs for Tanned Iksar Hide, GBS for Drachnid Thyxl

Appear to be doing quite well to me, don't see any issues here.

This server is so old, with so many people that have many 60 lvl toons, you see lots of lower level characters who have been able to loot HoT/NToV/Other loots well before those characters could help with the actual content. Don't compare your character to those ones.

Toxigen
03-03-2023, 02:15 PM
Skyshrine MQs, blue velium wrists, hiero cloak, choker of the wretched, orb of the infinite void, fancy velvet mantle

edit: wtf? I just noticed you have a spiked seahorse belt...on a wiz...why?

Balimon
03-03-2023, 03:46 PM
Skyshrine MQs, blue velium wrists, hiero cloak, choker of the wretched, orb of the infinite void, fancy velvet mantle

What would you suggest instead? Just curious

Toxigen
03-03-2023, 04:03 PM

Something that isn't worth 20k+ because of haste that a wiz gets 0 value from.

Would literally take a braided cinch cord use the plat for other slots.

Crede
03-03-2023, 05:41 PM
Something that isn't worth 20k+ because of haste that a wiz gets 0 value from.

Would literally take a braided cinch cord use the plat for other slots.

Not gonna lie seahorse belt is prob easier to get than braided cord if ya have a 60 enc lol

DeathsSilkyMist
03-03-2023, 07:04 PM

Stat-wise seahorse belt is one of the better dropoable belts out there, so it's not a bad choice on any character if you can afford it. But I agree if you need money that would be one of the first items to sell hehe.

Ripqozko
03-03-2023, 09:18 PM
Stat-wise seahorse belt is one of the better dropoable belts out there, so it's not a bad choice on any character if you can afford it. But I agree if you need money that would be one of the first items to sell hehe.

Sell it and buy schw and a peacebringer -DSM

ithaqua
03-03-2023, 09:28 PM
https://wiki.project1999.com/Oakleaf_Girdle maybe, no idea how rare it is in the tunnel. Not terribly rare in PoG in my experience
Some upgrades from fe`dhars/cubes in skyshrine also that would be in reach, rare drops with deep loot tables though and on dragon faction

Vaarsuvius
03-04-2023, 04:59 AM
Brell's Girdle
Oakleaf Girdle
Girdle of Rapidity
Bone-Clasped Girdle?

Absinthium
07-03-2023, 06:04 PM

I grouped in MM till level 40, and another wizard I know was in there till like 43