PDA

View Full Version : How to time Charm for 18 seconds perfectly?

ya.dingus
01-23-2023, 12:20 AM
How are other bards doing this when soloing in dungeons?

What tools do you use and how do you time it perfect for charm to reland as it breaks in a dungeon?

Wickedbane
01-23-2023, 03:13 AM
Best way to time it is play charm then 3 other songs then charm again.

Corso
01-23-2023, 09:23 AM
I set up a gina trigger to have a 18 sec countdown, but unless I'm mistaken there is a randomness to bards charm duration, as I often had charm break before the end of said timer.
If someone has a reliable method, I'm interested as well.

Encroaching Death
01-23-2023, 09:44 AM
I set up a gina trigger to have a 18 sec countdown

How annoying does that get?

Toxigen
01-23-2023, 10:34 AM
How are other bards doing this when soloing in dungeons?

What tools do you use and how do you time it perfect for charm to reland as it breaks in a dungeon?

Try not sucking instead of posting about how bad blue is. Start playing charm when you feel its going to break...if your cast is early just cancel and start the cast again while moving away and it'll land right after it breaks.

Hope this helps.

ya.dingus
01-23-2023, 07:44 PM
Try not sucking instead of posting about how bad blue is. Start playing charm when you feel its going to break...if your cast is early just cancel and start the cast again while moving away and it'll land right after it breaks.

Hope this helps.

Hmm I need a more precise way, but thanks for the tips.

But also nah, blue is a cesspool and this holy crusade wont end until that server is wiped cleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.

Ennewi
01-23-2023, 08:47 PM
Hmm I need a more precise way, but thanks for the tips.

A bit excessive on a bard but there's always Goblin Gazughi Ring (https://wiki.project1999.com/Goblin_Gazughi_Ring).

Saisu
01-24-2023, 08:58 AM
From experience, charm duration isn’t exact timing due to server ticks. Just practice outdoors for a bit and you’ll get an intuition/feel for the breaks.

If you have very limited space and it’s critical you don’t get hit I also recommend the cancel/recast of charm - you are then only playing with ~1 second at worst when the mob will run at you. If you don’t already have macros set up, it helps to have a /stopsong, /cast # so you can quickly cycle it and prep to land it right on time.

Once you get in the groove the mob will barely turn to face you by the time your charm lands.

busted
01-24-2023, 04:31 PM
I haven't tried this but it might* work... Make a macro that casts charm, pause for 3 sec, then hide and you might get a clean break and recharm...

Personally, I do it manually like so: I will charm, cast 3 songs, wait a sec, then start recharm on mob. Cancel song if charm still not broken and restart song to try and time it. You start to get a hang of it after a while.

Also for the charming pros out there, get a FT1 item for double mana regen.

ya.dingus
01-24-2023, 08:44 PM
From experience, charm duration isn’t exact timing due to server ticks. Just practice outdoors for a bit and you’ll get an intuition/feel for the breaks.

If you have very limited space and it’s critical you don’t get hit I also recommend the cancel/recast of charm - you are then only playing with ~1 second at worst when the mob will run at you. If you don’t already have macros set up, it helps to have a /stopsong, /cast # so you can quickly cycle it and prep to land it right on time.

Once you get in the groove the mob will barely turn to face you by the time your charm lands.

What are you breaking charm with in those situations? gaz or song or?

Tethler
01-25-2023, 12:03 AM
Gina. Set it with a timer bar for the maximum duration and start recasting when its down to like 2 seconds.

Or get good at playing bard and sharpen your intuition/internal clock and do it automatically.

Toxigen
01-25-2023, 10:00 AM
Or get good at playing bard and sharpen your intuition/internal clock and do it automatically.

this

imagine relying on gina

Vivitron
01-26-2023, 04:05 AM
I set up a gina trigger to have a 18 sec countdown, but unless I'm mistaken there is a randomness to bards charm duration, as I often had charm break before the end of said timer.
If someone has a reliable method, I'm interested as well.

It has a small chance of breaking early.

But most of what you are seeing is that it is a tick based duration. Each mob ticks about once every six seconds, and any time after landing charm until the mobs next tick is extra duration. So if you don't know when the mobs tick is, it looks like there is six seconds of randomness.

The tick times seem to be pretty stable, so if you figure out one tick you can calculate when it's next ticks will be. Unfortunately different mobs often tick at different times, so you'd have to figure it out for every mob you charm.

I guess you could record the tick time by hitting a macro when your charm breaks and have your parser go off that.

Like others here I mostly just cast my usual twist then partial cast charm until it breaks. I tried hide some when I was charm killing in droga; it's too bad our hide skill is so low, because that technique would be useful if hide worked more often.

Jimjam
01-26-2023, 07:20 PM
/pause 179, /cast 1
/ex

astuce999
01-28-2023, 06:51 AM
It's been over 20 years, and still so many secrets.

Consider turning /pet taunt on, and try to figure out the rest. :)

Astuce