PDA

View Full Version : Int Caster Weapons with Good Procs?

alexandervaccaro
06-30-2011, 02:36 PM
Do these exist?

I was thinking it'd be cool to grab Tolampuj's robe or whatever it's called, wield a nice dagger or 2HB for some extra proc dps or utility or something...

Slave
06-30-2011, 02:40 PM
Haste has no affect on your rate of procs per minute.

alexandervaccaro
06-30-2011, 02:42 PM
Haste has no affect on your rate of procs per minute.

WHOAH this is revolutionary knowledge. I always thought you rolled a chance to proc on every attack? And therefore more haste = more attacks = more chances to proc?

Slave
06-30-2011, 02:50 PM
The more haste you have, the lower the chance to proc per swing. The converse is also true. If you are slowed, you have a higher chance to proc per swing. The only thing you can do to affect your pdps (proc damage per second, I just invented it yay) is Dexterity and the innate proc rate of the weapon itself (ie get a different one).

Hamahakki
06-30-2011, 03:05 PM
What you want is probably just Tolapumj's Rob and Rod of Annihilation

Doors
06-30-2011, 03:41 PM
And about 500k plat to afford both. Good luck.

alexandervaccaro
06-30-2011, 04:28 PM
After doing the research... this thread is bust.

I should probably reroll a Shaman if I want to have any hope of being a meleeing caster.

Ele
06-30-2011, 04:33 PM

I should probably reroll a Shaman if I want to have any hope of being a meleeing caster.

Even then the majority of your damage will come from your pet and dots, not your melee.

Extunarian
06-30-2011, 04:52 PM
Here's a question: If I have autoattack on but I cast a lot, do my 'procs per minute' stay the same, therefore bringing up procs per swing because I won't be swinging during casts?

Slave
06-30-2011, 04:55 PM
Here's a question: If I have autoattack on but I cast a lot, do my 'procs per minute' stay the same, therefore bringing up procs per swing because I won't be swinging during casts?

No no. Your chance to proc per swing is a calculation that is calculated every single time you swing. It is based on your chance to proc per minute which in turn is based on your dexterity and the specific weapon you are swinging. For spell-based procs it probably is the same thing except that instead of the weapon, it's based on the spell's inherent chance to process.

Slave
06-30-2011, 05:00 PM

There are some pretty good meleeing casters, they are called Rangers, Paladins, and Shadowknights. Bards are a little different on their casting mechanics, but for all intents and purposes, you will probably enjoy one of these hybrids a lot based on your needs and play style.

Skope
06-30-2011, 05:15 PM

barbarian shaman + barbarian spiritist's hammer.

Or wait till velious: rune etched icewurm fang, that blaze proc 1HB, probably more i'm forgetting.

i actually leveled to 50 with a blight + FBSS and it went pretty quick.

alexandervaccaro
06-30-2011, 05:24 PM
No no. Your chance to proc per swing is a calculation that is calculated every single time you swing. It is based on your chance to proc per minute which in turn is based on your dexterity and the specific weapon you are swinging. For spell-based procs it probably is the same thing except that instead of the weapon, it's based on the spell's inherent chance to process.

Can you explain this again please?

It seems like he's right and your chance to proc per swing would be high. Why? because proc per minute stays the same, but swing # is very low per minute, so proc per swing is high.

Does casting screw with the calculations (probably?) I'm trying to remember on my paladin whether I'd proc more while casting stun and yaulp and such during combat...

Hamahakki
06-30-2011, 05:28 PM
Can you explain this again please?

It seems like he's right and your chance to proc per swing would be high. Why? because proc per minute stays the same, but swing # is very low per minute, so proc per swing is high.

Does casting screw with the calculations (probably?) I'm trying to remember on my paladin whether I'd proc more while casting stun and yaulp and such during combat...

Nah... "procs per minute" in this case doesn't mean the actual number you will process per minute, it means "your expected number of procs if you attacked something for one minute"

Skope
06-30-2011, 05:29 PM
think of swing and proc as 2 completely independent calculations (in fact i think they are).

a weapon has an inherent proc rate (say a yak, 3.4 procs-per-minute), and that gets multiplied by a multiplier based on your dex. the higher the dex, the higher the multiplier = the more procs per minute.

Your swing speed, if increased, actually decreases the chance of proc [I]per swing[I] but has nothing to do with your procs-per-minute. therefore you'll proc the same amount with 0 or 100% haste.

alexandervaccaro
06-30-2011, 05:33 PM
Nevermind I figured it out. The calculation for proc chance on swing must be based on attack delay and not actual number of swings per minute or whatever, meaning that casting inbetween swings won't really make a difference for this calculation.

I guess if this is true and you're trying to cast in combat and proc at the same time, you should grab a high delay proccing weapon, reducing the number of missed attack rounds per cast, and guaranteeing a higher proc rate than you'd see on a 1her with lower delay.

/..../
Just to clarify, I feel like the question dealing with proc rate when casting is taken into account is actually the question of whether proc calculations use your actual # of swings per minute or your calculated # of swings, and it must be the latter...

Skope
06-30-2011, 05:36 PM
Nevermind I figured it out. The calculation for proc chance on swing must be based on attack delay and not actual number of swings per minute or whatever, meaning that casting inbetween swings won't really make a difference for this calculation.

I guess if this is true and you're trying to cast in combat and proc at the same time, you should grab a high delay proccing weapon, reducing the number of missed attack rounds per cast, and guaranteeing a higher proc rate than you'd see on a 1her with lower delay.

exactly. with a barb hammer you can cannibalize, slow, heal as much as you want and still get in a crazy amount of procs.

Slave
06-30-2011, 05:36 PM

As an aside, I believe that your time casting does not count towards your delay toward your swing, therefore casting will not help your efficiency in pure dps regard even if your delay is longer than your casting time.