PDA

View Full Version : Try Eden (DAoC) this Christmas

Encroaching Death
12-28-2022, 03:18 PM
New DAoC Emu Server just dropped. December 10th was launch date.

It currently has 2500 players (it's 2pm...)

You can level through PVE or PVP, your choice.

It's pretty sick. I'm liking it so far.

I'm playing an Animist and they really improved ground targeting, so even better.

Download and Install in 10 mins, login via your Discord account. Real easy.

https://eden-daoc.net/

magnetaress
12-28-2022, 03:48 PM
Nope!

Encroaching Death
12-28-2022, 03:50 PM
Nope!

https://media.tenor.com/yGA3JVg9nDoAAAAd/lonely-sad-walk.gif

Evia
12-28-2022, 04:49 PM
Daoc is awesome. I played hard when that uthguard re-release happened. For some reason the clanky ui and slow moving characters bothered me. Perhaps I should give it another go and try this server out.

MrSparkle001
12-28-2022, 05:33 PM
Nah, Pirates of the Burning Sea just launched their long-awaited Legacy server last weekend.

Encroaching Death
12-28-2022, 05:35 PM
Nah, Pirates of the Burning Sea just launched their long-awaited Legacy server last weekend.

A pirate MMO?? Yoooooooo

where's my fuckin hat?

MrSparkle001
12-29-2022, 09:46 AM
A pirate MMO?? Yoooooooo

where's my fuckin hat?

peq2s2VHT1k

ZKwWrgy6BFc

Everyone is on the Legacy server now which we've been waiting for for many years.

Evia
12-29-2022, 04:12 PM
Looks like my gamer pals wanna try this out. So we all rolled on Albion. There are 4 of us and we are either gonna go...
1)paladin, friar, reaver, minstrel
Or pure casters
2)wizard, theurg, cabalist, sorc

It sucks because it likely means the end of our p99 gnome crew if they end up enjoying it.

Danth
12-29-2022, 04:33 PM
It sucks because it likely means the end of our p99 gnome crew if they end up enjoying it.

Look at it as a vacation rather than as an end. Dark Age of Camelot is a lot of fun but it has notorious problems with player retention as a server matures. Get in early, enjoy it for awhile, there's no other MMO-RPG quite like it and what it does, it does very well. Usually it'll decline hard over time. If they take a break from P99, they might be back in six months or a year. P99 will wait.

Between your two groups I like the one with some melee a little better. Casters are true glass cannons in that game, they tend to die if something looks at them funny, especially early on before a player gets a good amount of realm rank. Plus minstrel speed and permasprint means you can pick and choose your battles much moreso than you can with caster speed. I'm not high on reavers (I'd like armsman or mercenary better) but a lot of these private servers tinker with class balance so maybe the rules here are different.

Danth

Encroaching Death
12-29-2022, 04:45 PM
Looks like my gamer pals wanna try this out. So we all rolled on Albion. There are 4 of us and we are either gonna go...
1)paladin, friar, reaver, minstrel
Or pure casters
2)wizard, theurg, cabalist, sorc

Can't go wrong with either, really.

#2 is probably more viable for a full 8 man cookie cutter group. Albion loves their Cabalists...

But #1 would make a great small man grp. Minstrels are godly and so are Reavers. My old Reaver could melt someone in about 3 seconds if I got behind them. The sucky thing about this server when compared to Celestuis is you have to twist your songs on "bard" classes. Can only have 2 songs running at the same time. Oh well.

MrSparkle001
12-29-2022, 04:58 PM
Look at it as a vacation rather than as an end. Dark Age of Camelot is a lot of fun but it has notorious problems with player retention as a server matures. Get in early, enjoy it for awhile, there's no other MMO-RPG quite like it and what it does, it does very well. Usually it'll decline hard over time. If they take a break from P99, they might be back in six months or a year. P99 will wait.

Between your two groups I like the one with some melee a little better. Casters are true glass cannons in that game, they tend to die if something looks at them funny, especially early on before a player gets a good amount of realm rank. Plus minstrel speed and permasprint means you can pick and choose your battles much moreso than you can with caster speed. I'm not high on reavers (I'd like armsman or mercenary better) but a lot of these private servers tinker with class balance so maybe the rules here are different.

Danth

From what I remember you need a mezzing class. At least in classic DAOC it was all about the crowd control in PvP.

Encroaching Death
12-29-2022, 05:31 PM
From what I remember you need a mezzing class. At least in classic DAOC it was all about the crowd control in PvP.

Yeah mez is huge.

So much so that if you're a melee class, the first Realm Ability points you spend usually go into Determination, which decreases the time you're mezzed for.

There are certain classes that can "cure" mez and they can also charm mobs, so what people will do is charm a mob, run with their group until they get mezzed by an enemy group and then they'll released their charmed pet, causing it to attack them which breaks their mezz and then they go about curing mezz for the whole group.

MrSparkle001
12-30-2022, 10:05 AM
Yeah mez is huge.

So much so that if you're a melee class, the first Realm Ability points you spend usually go into Determination, which decreases the time you're mezzed for.

There are certain classes that can "cure" mez and they can also charm mobs, so what people will do is charm a mob, run with their group until they get mezzed by an enemy group and then they'll released their charmed pet, causing it to attack them which breaks their mezz and then they go about curing mezz for the whole group.

Oh yeah charm. My favorite class was Sorcerer with huge charm ability. I'd run all the way down to Lyonesse and charm one of those giant knight-looking mobs and take it up to the frontier. I think the name was teleman or something. Was it super effective? Nope. Was it fun? Yep. Think I was able to charm other large mobs too.

Encroaching Death
12-30-2022, 11:05 AM
Oh yeah charm. My favorite class was Sorcerer with huge charm ability. I'd run all the way down to Lyonesse and charm one of those giant knight-looking mobs and take it up to the frontier. I think the name was teleman or something. Was it super effective? Nope. Was it fun? Yep. Think I was able to charm other large mobs too.

https://camelot.allakhazam.com/Mobs/pics/Greater%20Telamon.jpg

MrSparkle001
12-30-2022, 11:16 AM
Yeah those huge things! It was fun to bring them to Cotswolds and see the newbies all freaked out and confused.

Damn I'm tempted to do it again but there are no newbies to freak out anymore.

Encroaching Death
12-30-2022, 11:17 AM
but there are no newbies to freak out anymore.

Yeah, that's one of the issues.

Pretty much 99% of the server has been playing for over 10 years and they're usually skilled at pvp.

Evia
12-30-2022, 01:06 PM
We went the caster route and picked up one more who's playing a reaver. I lucked out and got to play the sorc and it's been pretty sweet! It's a lot like enchanter in eq except they won't let me charm in battle which kinda sucks. Forces you to pick a pet and run with it...but at least charm doesn't ever break.

If anyone wants to join us on alb PM me or pst on server to Kellian. We are gonna schedule a once a week play schedule so super casual like.

Homesteaded
12-30-2022, 03:24 PM
Tried this game once and it was bad. How do I enjoy?

Evia
12-30-2022, 03:44 PM

It might be nostalgia tbhwy. Although I will say 3 of the 5 people I'm playing with have no experience with daoc whatsoever and are all expressing how impressed they are with it.

They keep trying not to hurt my feelings as they say how much more interested they are in it over p99 eq.

I dunno how I'd suggest getting into the game besides finding a class that really interests you and diving into it. Daoc has your traditional style classes and then some weird ones you don't see like ever in a mmorpg (looking at you animist)

Encroaching Death
12-30-2022, 03:46 PM

If you didn't like it, you probably won't enjoy it.

The realm vs realm pvp is where it really shines.

The pve and end-game are kinda meh.

Encroaching Death
12-30-2022, 03:47 PM
some weird ones you don't see like ever in a mmorpg (looking at you animist)

Like playing a Tower Defense game inside of a MMO :p

Danth
12-30-2022, 04:09 PM
I dunno how I'd suggest getting into the game besides finding a class that really interests you and diving into it. Daoc has your traditional style classes and then some weird ones you don't see like ever in a mmorpg (looking at you animist)

Dark Age of Camelot was made on the cheap. It was well-made within its budget, but the limitations show through after awhile and I think contribute to its common problem with longevity. Complex zones like cities are few indeed. Most of the zones are somewhat modular in design, especially evident with the dungeon zones and new frontiers. Same for the characters. Effectively the game has a "bank" of major player abilities and each realm's classes differ primarily in terms of who gets what skills. In earlier versions of the game's history that tended to cause it to favor the realms with fewer overall classes to some degree because having the same general set of abilities on fewer classes means it was easier for those realms to build good groups. PvE mechanics in DAOC are for the most part rather simplistic compared to EQ; the game is an early example of how balancing abilities for PvP tends to neuter PvE.

I greatly prefer the realm PvP-focused endgame over EQ-style PvE raiding but the rest of the game was not able to keep me long-term. EQ had more depth, at least insofar as I was concerned. Private servers often try to rectify some of those flaws through class or mechanic changes or by adding in various expansions out the gate, to varying degrees of success. For the most part, it's wise to get in on private servers early. I am not surprised your friends like it on first impression. It gives a better "first impression" than EQ does as it is in many ways less punishing to new players. It'll be interesting to receive an update as to how well they're maintaining interest one year from now. Admittedly the limited once-a-week schedule might draw that timeline out a bit.

Evia
12-30-2022, 04:44 PM
Dark Age of Camelot was made on the cheap. It was well-made within its budget, but the limitations show through after awhile and I think contribute to its common problem with longevity. Complex zones like cities are few indeed. Most of the zones are somewhat modular in design, especially evident with the dungeon zones and new frontiers. Same for the characters. Effectively the game has a "bank" of major player abilities and each realm's classes differ primarily in terms of who gets what skills. In earlier versions of the game's history that tended to cause it to favor the realms with fewer overall classes to some degree because having the same general set of abilities on fewer classes means it was easier for those realms to build good groups. PvE mechanics in DAOC are for the most part rather simplistic compared to EQ; the game is an early example of how balancing abilities for PvP tends to neuter PvE.

I greatly prefer the realm PvP-focused endgame over EQ-style PvE raiding but the rest of the game was not able to keep me long-term. EQ had more depth, at least insofar as I was concerned. Private servers often try to rectify some of those flaws through class or mechanic changes or by adding in various expansions out the gate, to varying degrees of success. For the most part, it's wise to get in on private servers early. I am not surprised your friends like it on first impression. It gives a better "first impression" than EQ does as it is in many ways less punishing to new players. It'll be interesting to receive an update as to how well they're maintaining interest one year from now. Admittedly the limited once-a-week schedule might draw that timeline out a bit.

I totally agree! pretty much on every thing you just said lol. you managed to articulate it very well! Depth is the main reason ive stuck with EQ all these years. Older MMOS had less of it than EQ and new MMOS are absent of it entirely.

Cen
12-30-2022, 09:48 PM
Just an FYI, Phoenix Freeshard is coming back for a season 2 with new changes also!

Encroaching Death
12-30-2022, 11:53 PM
Just an FYI, Phoenix Freeshard is coming back for a season 2 with new changes also!

Interesting! I wonder if they're keeping old characters. Bet it'll be a clean server wipe, I imagine.

Cen
12-31-2022, 06:35 AM
Interesting! I wonder if they're keeping old characters. Bet it'll be a clean server wipe, I imagine.

Clean. For this season, they are gonna mix it up a little and have a part of the season where stealth classes cannot be leveled up for a time.

Encroaching Death
12-31-2022, 06:17 PM
Clean. For this season, they are gonna mix it up a little and have a part of the season where stealth classes cannot be leveled up for a time.

Weird.

I'm assuming so they don't dominate the solo rvr game?

That will be interesting.