PDA

View Full Version : Why do y'all like the Red Server?

long.liam
12-18-2022, 09:42 PM
I kind of curious why anyone likes the Red Server. The server would suggest that it's not very popular, but there are some very vocal proponents here in the forums. I suspect some of these people no longer actually play and are only forum trolls at this point, but still I find it quite interesting. PVP is not my thing. I don't like getting ganked/griefed by high level ultra geared players with nothing better to do, but bully people off of their server. Just curious what you people find, so enticing about it? I would rather cooperate with people and form bonds together taking down high level NPCs. It's a lot more fun to me than ganking or getting ganked by other people. Posting a poll, but feel free to post a open answer.

kgallowaypa
12-18-2022, 11:26 PM
all of the vocal proponents you see are forum trollers that have not moved on for over 10 years

magnetaress
12-20-2022, 10:45 AM
It wasn't on the poll butt i also like to help other players so that pks get griefed off the server.

I also like flying plains butt i have a lot of anxiety near large cities.

magnetaress
12-20-2022, 11:06 AM
The first 3 ppl to honestly asses themselves, I give u props.

Jimjam
12-20-2022, 11:26 AM
Better banter, better sportsmanship.

Being able to stand up for others.

Mutual protection.

Jimjam
12-20-2022, 11:26 AM
More memorable characters and impactful reputations.

Jibartik
12-20-2022, 01:09 PM
Id say take why you like EQ over wow, and red is like that to EQ to me.

It just makes so many insane parts of this game more viable and necessary to succeed.

on item loot no drop becomes a stat

all the resists are just so much more important, thats like 5 new stats to play from 1-60

strange weapons that are of no value on blue are of huge valule on red

and all of that, community is like way more important because gang violence.

https://i.imgur.com/eAsPeXB.gif

Jibartik
12-20-2022, 01:10 PM
Bags of gems to pay other players for home made potions.

this is high fantasy.

Lampolo
12-20-2022, 01:53 PM
Ya but when you win on red it just means you were willing to come back and keep fighting longer than the loser. The best red player probably has a strategy to not leave the pc for months. If you kill him he just come back for more and wont you succeed. At least this is my xp on red

Jibartik
12-20-2022, 02:07 PM
yeah, id love to see how teams played out on p99 to see if that really is a solution people always bring it up as one.

Rick Sanchez
12-21-2022, 11:40 AM
it adds a different element to a game, lets face it at this point that everything is known and min/max'd to a point that everybody knows everything and is the roughly the equivalent of working on an excel spreadsheet and trying to find joy in that. With a pvp mechanic it adds flavor to the soup, many points Jib pointed on are true. Thus taking a higher skill cap and makes the most routine things more exciting, i genuinely see the appeal and find most PvP games fun by that principle. Biggest problem however, is this particular server attracts the bottom of the bottom population as a whole, which that level of toxicity spreads throughout any emu server. Any rational adult will tell you the most important thing on a PvP server is population, you need a healthy balance of predators and prey, mess with that ecosystem and this is the result you get. Subsequently, the mechanics of EQ in general lead itself to this easy fracture. Take for example a pvp mechanic system of DAoC it's a three faction team system which is a system inherently put in place to negate alot of the problems that generate itself in EQ pvp. This isn't to say I don't like EQ PvP, it just has a lot of things going against if you're a casual player.

A Knight
12-21-2022, 08:13 PM
It makes the world feel more real.

A Knight
12-22-2022, 02:40 AM
I think what people may not see, that I see in a game like Classic Everquest, is it's a survival game. This idea may not be great, but it would be like adding in a chance to get hit by a snow avalanche. Technically that is no skill. Technically you didn't die from anything you did. That snow avalanche hitting you was from no error of skill from you. It was all chance and luck!

But it does simulate a good artificial world, when it's more of a survival game like that. Maybe not exactly the avalanche idea.

I want to feel like I'm in a world.

Jibartik
12-22-2022, 03:19 AM
Personally I think the best thing would have been to make raid targets turn you into PVP so like end game raiding was the competitive versino of EQ and the casuals just got to enjoy grouping.

I know that people think that the raiding gameplay in classic EQ is perfect and should have nothing changed whatsoever about it. But I think pvp raiding is more fun than regular raiding.

magnetaress
12-22-2022, 10:37 AM
PPl on blue and green are lazy and ignorant.

Pll on red are woke and legitimately better people all around. red is the literaly 1% of eq players.

klant
12-22-2022, 03:46 PM
I kind of curious why anyone likes the Red Server. The server would suggest that it's not very popular, but there are some very vocal proponents here in the forums. I suspect some of these people no longer actually play and are only forum trolls at this point, but still I find it quite interesting. PVP is not my thing. I don't like getting ganked/griefed by high level ultra geared players with nothing better to do, but bully people off of their server. Just curious what you people find, so enticing about it? I would rather cooperate with people and form bonds together taking down high level NPCs. It's a lot more fun to me than ganking or getting ganked by other people. Posting a poll, but feel free to post a open answer.

red servers > blue servers. EQ has the best pvp of any game I've played. Requires skill, ability to think on your feet and adapt, ganking, hunting people, fighting over camps, griefing. Haven't found another game that comes close to the enjoyment of EQ pvp on pvp servers. I wouldn't recommend the P99 red server anymore though. It's just turned into abunch of blue pussies all joining 1 giant zerg guild just for pixels. It's not even really a pvp server anymore, just blue 2.0. Pretty much everyone that couldn't get pixels on blue came over to red to all hold hands and do blue stuff. Before the server really died the pvp would always be 80 <nihilum> players vs 20 <whatever opposition guild was popular at the time>. even though nihilum got wrecked, you just didn't have enough mana/bodies to compete.

short version: wait till next red server

Old_PVP
12-22-2022, 05:55 PM
I like to keep my options open. Many situations in this game can be solved with PVP, but first there must be the option to do so.

Also EXP bonus. Don't have time for that classic grindfest anymore.

surron
12-23-2022, 12:50 PM
im just glad i was here for the glory days of velious release... lets be real, kunark era was boring af and classic was just about who can land the first nuke

anyways a lot of bluebies would enjoy red imo... the exp bonus for grouping is a great mechanic... all the other bs that "can" happen, may, but there's always options for recourse

Ardok
12-28-2022, 01:20 PM
it adds a different element to a game, lets face it at this point that everything is known and min/max'd to a point that everybody knows everything and is the roughly the equivalent of working on an excel spreadsheet and trying to find joy in that. With a pvp mechanic it adds flavor to the soup, many points Jib pointed on are true. Thus taking a higher skill cap and makes the most routine things more exciting, i genuinely see the appeal and find most PvP games fun by that principle. Biggest problem however, is this particular server attracts the bottom of the bottom population as a whole, which that level of toxicity spreads throughout any emu server. Any rational adult will tell you the most important thing on a PvP server is population, you need a healthy balance of predators and prey, mess with that ecosystem and this is the result you get. Subsequently, the mechanics of EQ in general lead itself to this easy fracture. Take for example a pvp mechanic system of DAoC it's a three faction team system which is a system inherently put in place to negate alot of the problems that generate itself in EQ pvp. This isn't to say I don't like EQ PvP, it just has a lot of things going against if you're a casual player.

This is more or less spot on.

magnetaress
12-28-2022, 01:46 PM
I'm a sociopath/psychopath that derives pleasure from screwing over other people.
Encroaching Death, Imago, Krazy/sickpuppy, magnetaress, ol chew

this is the crew that would dominate red2.0 or purple 99

Zephys
01-05-2023, 09:03 PM
UN meetings are for nerds. Raiding should be competitive.