PDA

View Full Version : Wizard Epic farming options?

Kich867
11-14-2022, 07:27 PM
Got my epic recently, just wondering, are there any camps that this kind of opens up that you couldn't do previously? There's some AOE farming I've done with manaskin that just gets expensive/mana intensive having to replace it that often, like Crystalline Silk / velium ore, but wondering if there's any particularly big camps you can handle once you have the epic you couldn't do easily before?

long.liam
11-19-2022, 05:33 AM
Got my epic recently, just wondering, are there any camps that this kind of opens up that you couldn't do previously? There's some AOE farming I've done with manaskin that just gets expensive/mana intensive having to replace it that often, like Crystalline Silk / velium ore, but wondering if there's any particularly big camps you can handle once you have the epic you couldn't do easily before?

Not really. The Epic Rune doesn't last that long when you're actually getting hit. Mostly just nice because it saves you having to bring a stack of peridots for rune spell and the mana regen is nice too, but not really game changing or anything.

Zuranthium
11-19-2022, 06:02 PM
You need manastone or manna robe for the epic to be particularly impactful.

sajbert
11-20-2022, 09:21 AM
The wizard epic is primarily a raid tool to add survivability vs AE damage. This COUPLED with good resists means that you won't die in every fight that has AE (most of them do).

The manastone or manna robe epic combo is mostly a gimmick. Porting to a classic zone to manastone during a raid is often impractical if not impossible (sometimes literally such as in VP) and once you subtract the manacost for porting the benefit is rather marginal. You'd practically never do it during a fight, instead it's something you'd do to help recover mana after a death or wipe. Manna robe is a bit easier to use of course since it doesn't require a classic zone but it's MUCH slower and requires a tedious amount of clicking. Good for wipe recovery to be sure but unless you're a serious raider, eehhhh....

As for farming it's much the same issue. Granted you could shorten time between quads but that's only really if you have enough TO quad. Even today quad locations that give decent drops are contested. It's pretty terrible PP/hr too, anyway.

For single target damage you don't want the manastone combo, you want a rend robe from VP. You'll have practically endless damage so the manastone combo becomes irrelevant in this case. However, here the epic effect is somewhat useful for absorbing hits. You will NOT be able to tank any summoning mobs but anything that doesn't summon or nukes very hard you can root-rend to death and when you get root breaks you aren't restricted as much or at all by your HP. It makes it easier to tank multiple mobs as you root em too.

Now, which specific camps that become available with the epic? Nothing worthwhile that I know of but it would be easier to do stuff like Jail in KC etc.

Infectious
11-20-2022, 11:24 AM

Could try to sell ports. After you get some better gear, you could sell more ports.

tadkins
11-23-2022, 06:31 AM
Don't know how well this would work in actual practice, but I always promised myself that one day if my wizard ever earned the epic + a DD item, that he'd finally go start exploring some dungeons. Having reliable survivability and a manaless nuke would mean I could go cover large areas of places like UGuk and possibly harder dungeons. Not sure how high I'd be able to go with that kind of setup, but it does seem like it would be possible. I would test things out and see how high of a dungeon a raid geared, epic'ed wizard would be able to go solo.

Chortles Snortles
11-23-2022, 09:17 AM
i have never seen a wizard in a dungeon on p1999

Toxigen
11-23-2022, 11:43 AM
Time to sell ports and fund your enchanter or torpor shaman farming character.

Kich867
11-23-2022, 03:59 PM
Don't know how well this would work in actual practice, but I always promised myself that one day if my wizard ever earned the epic + a DD item, that he'd finally go start exploring some dungeons. Having reliable survivability and a manaless nuke would mean I could go cover large areas of places like UGuk and possibly harder dungeons. Not sure how high I'd be able to go with that kind of setup, but it does seem like it would be possible. I would test things out and see how high of a dungeon a raid geared, epic'ed wizard would be able to go solo.

Maybe I'll just start yolo'in this weekend to see what I can do. I don't have a DD robe (skyshrine robe doesn't count that thing is ass), but I probably wouldn't use it anyways.

With barrier up it should be pretty safe to pull 4-6 mobs at a time and just AOE them down. I was pulling 4 spiders in crystal caverns at a time with Manaskin and it was safe, I'm sure with Barrier you can push harder considering how much beefier it is.

Makes camping the entire hallway pretty breezy. It's probably not insane money, but crystalline silk runs about 10p/ea on green, the spiders drop them pretty often and the respawn time isn't that bad.

And sure--you can sell ports, that's just a lot less fun and quite frankly super spikey.

tadkins
11-23-2022, 05:54 PM
I'd still like to see some dungeons one day beyond the lowest level ones. There's still a lot of the game I haven't seen, and I can only do it as a wizard (tried other classes and they just didn't click). I know plenty of wizards are probably fine just quadding and porting, but I'm still hoping to one day be able to do more.

PatChapp
11-23-2022, 06:01 PM
Just do it in groups, get a group together and crawl seb of dok. If they won't take you cus your a wizard, find prople who aren't shitty

tadkins
11-23-2022, 06:08 PM
Just do it in groups, get a group together and crawl seb of dok. If they won't take you cus your a wizard, find prople who aren't shitty

Yep thanks. One of these days I hope to find one.

sajbert
11-24-2022, 02:11 AM
Lguk is doable. I’ve also heard of wizards farming in Chardok.

sajbert
11-24-2022, 02:13 AM
Sidenote, last time I went to seb the guy who invited me couldn’t convince the group to invite me once I arrived. Lvl 60, epic and rend robe and they had non-60’s with mediocre gear. The group wouldn’t even respond to my presence.

Lmao.

tadkins
11-24-2022, 04:54 AM
Sidenote, last time I went to seb the guy who invited me couldn’t convince the group to invite me once I arrived. Lvl 60, epic and rend robe and they had non-60’s with mediocre gear. The group wouldn’t even respond to my presence.

Lmao.

Well shoot, that is seriously depressing.

PatChapp
11-24-2022, 07:47 AM
Lguk is doable. I’ve also heard of wizards farming in Chardok.

Hmmm maybe they could do graveyard? Most spawns in dok require cc, but there is 2 battlemaster spawns they could probably handle.
Maybe overseer as well but would need a large manapool

Snaggles
11-24-2022, 10:03 AM
Battle Master has 12k hps. It would take 8 sunstrikes and 3600 mana (pre-specialization discount).

It could be done but what a scrappy fight for BM.

Balimon
11-24-2022, 08:28 PM

Lmao.

Pretty sad considering how much DPS the robe puts out ;\ People just don't understand how certain classes work

Crede
11-24-2022, 08:36 PM
Wizard is hit or miss. I made a ton of friends on mine and would get invited for aoe groups a lot and even deep dungeon crawls. But be prepared to get a fair share of haters as well. I once had a group with a bard and enc which is a wizards dream and the cleric immediately disbanded once they saw I joined. I think some lazy wizards do give us a bad reputation in groups but there are quite a large amount of min maxers on these servers.

Zuranthium
11-24-2022, 09:31 PM
Battle Master has 12k hps. It would take 8 sunstrikes and 3600 mana (pre-specialization discount).

It could be done but what a scrappy fight for BM.

A Wizard trying to solo anything that's Level 51+ is generally going to need a Bioluminescent Orb, or else you're going to get summoned constantly and lose. Depending on exact equip it's various degrees of possible to solo level 51/52 mobs without Bio Orb, but it's unreliable and your HP is going to be hurting too much at the end to make it a way to farm at a good rate.

The best a Wizard can do is chaining Ice Spear + (Rend Robe or Vermilion Robe or Shissar Staff, depending on resists) + Bio Orb, while reapplying Root as needed. Epic for a bit of mana regen and Manna Robe inbetween med ticks after the kill to decrease downtime.

But good luck getting all those items if you're on one of the trash servers instead of Red.

tadkins
11-24-2022, 10:24 PM
A Wizard trying to solo anything that's Level 51+ is generally going to need a Bioluminescent Orb, or else you're going to get summoned constantly and lose. Depending on exact equip it's various degrees of possible to solo level 51/52 mobs without Bio Orb, but it's unreliable and your HP is going to be hurting too much at the end to make it a way to farm at a good rate.

The best a Wizard can do is chaining Ice Spear + (Rend Robe or Vermilion Robe or Shissar Staff, depending on resists) + Bio Orb, while reapplying Root as needed. Epic for a bit of mana regen and Manna Robe inbetween med ticks after the kill to decrease downtime.

But good luck getting all those items if you're on one of the trash servers instead of Red.

Interesting. Does the blinding spell on that orb prevent summoning? I'll have to make that orb one of my life goals in that case.

tadkins
11-24-2022, 10:26 PM
Wizard is hit or miss. I made a ton of friends on mine and would get invited for aoe groups a lot and even deep dungeon crawls. But be prepared to get a fair share of haters as well. I once had a group with a bard and enc which is a wizards dream and the cleric immediately disbanded once they saw I joined. I think some lazy wizards do give us a bad reputation in groups but there are quite a large amount of min maxers on these servers.

In a fast paced group I do my best not to be lazy and contribute everything I can, whether it be a DD, stun or root. Groups are rare but I honestly try my best. The truth of the matter is though I'm not able to contribute on every single fight. Mob pulls tend to outpace my mana and there are some I have to sit out on. I'm honestly scared that makes me look "lazy" in the eyes of others and it's probably why group invites are so extremely rare.

Zuranthium
11-24-2022, 11:15 PM
Interesting. Does the blinding spell on that orb prevent summoning? I'll have to make that orb one of my life goals in that case.

Feared mobs don't summon, and blinded mobs who are outside of melee range behave as if they are feared. These things work with Root, so although the mob is not running away, it won't summon still.

tadkins
11-25-2022, 12:35 AM
Feared mobs don't summon, and blinded mobs who are outside of melee range behave as if they are feared. These things work with Root, so although the mob is not running away, it won't summon still.

Awesome! Will definitely try to get one of those one day.

Snaggles
11-25-2022, 01:16 AM
A lot of 51+ mobs don’t summon; BM and Alchemist/Acolyte dont for example. It’s an underdog farm class for sure. I just wouldn’t count out a skilled player and the stubborn desire to prove something in this game. Minus mathematical impossibilities if you have a small mana pool.

As for grind groups, meh. It’s a combination of some players setting poor class stereotypes and other players not willing to think outside the box. You don’t have to minmax at the docks in ROOP. This game isn’t always as hard as we think it is.

tadkins
11-25-2022, 04:59 AM
As for grind groups, meh. It’s a combination of some players setting poor class stereotypes and other players not willing to think outside the box. You don’t have to minmax at the docks in ROOP. This game isn’t always as hard as we think it is.

I agree. You'd think a 20+ year old long conquered game wouldn't have such an uptight community, but eh. Wizard is my main and my favorite class, there's just no way around it. All I can do is the best I can. I have to believe one day I'll be able to see these dungeons even as a wizard.

Snaggles
11-25-2022, 11:55 AM
I agree. You'd think a 20+ year old long conquered game wouldn't have such an uptight community, but eh. Wizard is my main and my favorite class, there's just no way around it. All I can do is the best I can. I have to believe one day I'll be able to see these dungeons even as a wizard.

You definitely will! Are you guilded? If not finding a bunch of misfits to adventure with is easier than with a PUG.

Personally if it’s a dungeon adventure on any degree of difficulty I want classes like wizards with me. Putter along with a spell/snare here and there then slam the throttle when four come instead of one. Plus a succor in the back pocket is always a quicker reset than a CR.

PatChapp
11-25-2022, 01:56 PM
Battlemaster does not summon,nor do many mobs in chardok

tadkins
11-26-2022, 05:50 PM
You definitely will! Are you guilded? If not finding a bunch of misfits to adventure with is easier than with a PUG.

Personally if it’s a dungeon adventure on any degree of difficulty I want classes like wizards with me. Putter along with a spell/snare here and there then slam the throttle when four come instead of one. Plus a succor in the back pocket is always a quicker reset than a CR.

I am guilded, but eh...I feel like I might as well not be, for all they're willing to even talk to me, let alone help with anything.

I appreciate the thought though. I wish more people thought as you did. Maybe one day I'll land an invite to something. All I can do is hope.

Toxigen
11-29-2022, 09:53 AM
I am guilded, but eh...I feel like I might as well not be, for all they're willing to even talk to me, let alone help with anything.

I appreciate the thought though. I wish more people thought as you did. Maybe one day I'll land an invite to something. All I can do is hope.

As a dedicated Wizard you should embrace the raid game then. This is where you will feel strongest.

tadkins
11-29-2022, 05:34 PM
As a dedicated Wizard you should embrace the raid game then. This is where you will feel strongest.

Working on getting there. Just sucks because there are legit non-raid group stuff a wizard needs like the staff of temp flux, but I don't think I'm getting that till my 50s at this point lol.

Kich867
11-29-2022, 06:09 PM
Working on getting there. Just sucks because there are legit non-raid group stuff a wizard needs like the staff of temp flux, but I don't think I'm getting that till my 50s at this point lol.

Which parts do you still need for this / what level are you?

The Frost Heart can be acquired in Permafrost just a little bit into the zone. It's a boring camp, but the safest place to do it is like...almost literally right at the entrance. You zone in, walk up the little ramp, and then go down the hallway, there's a camp fire in a little cubby? The mob you need can spawn there. Took me awhile camping that room. If you're 36ish the mobs should be green or super low blues to you iirc. I camped that at 36. I tried screwing around, finding spawns deeper in the zone--f that noise, it was way too dangerous. Just that entrance spawn, slow and steady.

The skeleton is actually kind of a pain, that earth elemental pet is way, way stronger than the mob. The guide in the wiki works, you just need to be careful, the second "Note" in the wiki: https://wiki.project1999.com/Staff_of_Temperate_Flux_Quest is how I did it, but you need to like, seriously have SoW, be at max root range, cast root, and haul it to the rathe zoneline with levitate up. Have the map up, learn exactly where to run to get there, as soon as Root finishes casting start running to the zoneline. If the pet gets within range to root you they'll beat you to death. If you want, you can wait at the zoneline and try to snare the pet before zoning with Bonds of Force, it's just risky if you aren't buffed. And have a teleport / abscond up so that after you kill and loot, you leave the zone to drop aggro from the pet, that pet is hauling ass back to you after you engage the skeleton.

For the fire heart, I honestly just hung out in the zone with invis on and asked someone to let me know if one dropped and when one dropped I went over and looted it. If you're higher level you can probably break the camp on your own but there's a lot of patrollers and they move fast so be careful.

And the lambent stone, I mean, that's whatever, you can just buy that from someone.

tadkins
11-30-2022, 06:08 AM
Which parts do you still need for this / what level are you?

The Frost Heart can be acquired in Permafrost just a little bit into the zone. It's a boring camp, but the safest place to do it is like...almost literally right at the entrance. You zone in, walk up the little ramp, and then go down the hallway, there's a camp fire in a little cubby? The mob you need can spawn there. Took me awhile camping that room. If you're 36ish the mobs should be green or super low blues to you iirc. I camped that at 36. I tried screwing around, finding spawns deeper in the zone--f that noise, it was way too dangerous. Just that entrance spawn, slow and steady.

The skeleton is actually kind of a pain, that earth elemental pet is way, way stronger than the mob. The guide in the wiki works, you just need to be careful, the second "Note" in the wiki: https://wiki.project1999.com/Staff_of_Temperate_Flux_Quest is how I did it, but you need to like, seriously have SoW, be at max root range, cast root, and haul it to the rathe zoneline with levitate up. Have the map up, learn exactly where to run to get there, as soon as Root finishes casting start running to the zoneline. If the pet gets within range to root you they'll beat you to death. If you want, you can wait at the zoneline and try to snare the pet before zoning with Bonds of Force, it's just risky if you aren't buffed. And have a teleport / abscond up so that after you kill and loot, you leave the zone to drop aggro from the pet, that pet is hauling ass back to you after you engage the skeleton.

For the fire heart, I honestly just hung out in the zone with invis on and asked someone to let me know if one dropped and when one dropped I went over and looted it. If you're higher level you can probably break the camp on your own but there's a lot of patrollers and they move fast so be careful.

And the lambent stone, I mean, that's whatever, you can just buy that from someone.

I'm 28. I just have the lambent stone atm.

The Perma thing I had no idea about. Thank you for that tip, that'll honestly be a game changer. I just remember those wizards being deep inside the dungeon. One time when I helped another wizard with their heart, it dropped in the big room just before you start seeing giants. That's what I was worried about.

Yep the stone skeletons were going to be a pain. A pain to kill, and a pain to get anyone over there to help me. It sucks, lol. I probably will just end up getting to 45 or so before I do it. Don't have a SoW bot or anything like that, nor the cash to spend on potions.

Same deal with the fire heart. SolA is at least a decently populated dungeon most of the time, right? I'll hope that folks there are cooperative and won't just destroy the heart out of spite or something.

Thanks for the advice.

Kich867
11-30-2022, 11:46 AM
I'm 28. I just have the lambent stone atm.

The Perma thing I had no idea about. Thank you for that tip, that'll honestly be a game changer. I just remember those wizards being deep inside the dungeon. One time when I helped another wizard with their heart, it dropped in the big room just before you start seeing giants. That's what I was worried about.

Yep the stone skeletons were going to be a pain. A pain to kill, and a pain to get anyone over there to help me. It sucks, lol. I probably will just end up getting to 45 or so before I do it. Don't have a SoW bot or anything like that, nor the cash to spend on potions.

Same deal with the fire heart. SolA is at least a decently populated dungeon most of the time, right? I'll hope that folks there are cooperative and won't just destroy the heart out of spite or something.

Thanks for the advice.

You always have a SoW bot dude, just go to EC tunnel, druids and shamans spam SoW on people all day. Just ask for buffs before you port over to NK.

And for sure, don't bother doing the quest yet, I waited until like 36 to solo it, you don't really need it before you get Bonds of Force anyways it doesn't do anything if you aren't quadding constantly.

Snaggles
11-30-2022, 12:32 PM
Or just use another class and MQ it (I used my shaman). Or have a buddy help.

Soloing that camp with a wiz seems awful. Same stuff as we talked about the OP. Lots of greens so it’s going to take a while to clear back. A pain to break the room, etc.

Barik
12-14-2022, 04:45 PM
I remember when kunark first launched on blue all the AoE groups we're fantastic. Skyfire etc.