PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous: Staff of the Dreaded Gaze drop rate

Brinkman
06-27-2011, 01:58 AM
As many people know, this staff is supposed to be extremely rare. So rare in fact, that its the only item I can remember that was listed ( and still is listed) As No longer dropping on Allakhazam, when in fact it does still drop.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=485

There have been many people on P99 that camped this staff for a week straight untill they got it to drop. Recently ( last 3 weeks or so ) however, there seems to have been an increase in it dropping. I know of two confrimed drops in the last 3 days, And this is only two I know for sure that dropped. This could be luck and I wouldnt be one to dismiss that, but I'm seeing enough for sale and these confirmed drops to at the very least bring it up.

The issue could be one of two things, either Xalgoz is spawning too much, which would create an increase in the chance for the staff to drop, or the chance of the staff itself had a % chance to drop increase. Or both, so I guess thats three things :D

I know this is low priority, but when there is a few minutes to check the codeing, it would be cool to get some feedback on this. Also, I know Uthgaard showed at item search result for Ton Po's Staff a while ago in another thread so Im sure its possible to track the drops and frequency as well.

As always, Appreciate your time!

baalzy
06-27-2011, 05:07 PM
Oooooooooor.

People who already have them have hit max level on their necros, realized that it doesn't do them all that much good and decided they would rather have the platinum.

Brinkman
06-27-2011, 05:56 PM
Oooooooooor.

People who already have them have hit max level on their necros, realized that it doesn't do them all that much good and decided they would rather have the platinum.

Quite possible, However that doesnt explain the two drops I can confirm in the last 3 days, and who knows if more have dropped, Just sayin =)

Worth a min or two to double check if they get some free time, Obviously Ive already stated its low priority.

Dentalplan
06-27-2011, 06:31 PM
I don't think there's any reason to think the drop rate has been changed at all. Two weeks or so into Kunark Divinity camped Xalgoz for a few days to get fangs for everyone, and we got two staff drops in that time. With rare drops like this you'll sometimes see streaks where a couple people get lucky, while other people have painfully bad luck with it.

I spent about 20 hours total at that camp over a week or two before I got my staff Saturday. That's apparently pretty "lucky" for this camp, but for all the horror stories of people spending days in Kaesora to get one, I've also heard of people getting it on one of their first spawns. Overall it seems about right to me.

Brinkman
07-02-2011, 02:59 PM
I don't think there's any reason to think the drop rate has been changed at all. Two weeks or so into Kunark Divinity camped Xalgoz for a few days to get fangs for everyone, and we got two staff drops in that time. With rare drops like this you'll sometimes see streaks where a couple people get lucky, while other people have painfully bad luck with it.

I spent about 20 hours total at that camp over a week or two before I got my staff Saturday. That's apparently pretty "lucky" for this camp, but for all the horror stories of people spending days in Kaesora to get one, I've also heard of people getting it on one of their first spawns. Overall it seems about right to me.

I'm sorry, I dont think you get it. This staff was so rare it was thought to have been removed from the game.

You are talking about this as if its just another rare drop " Some folks get lucky, some dont " Kinda thing, but this should not be the case.

It is supposed to be one of the most elusive drops in kunark.... I dont see it as such, as it is right now.

Again, low priority, but worth looking at.

Erati
07-02-2011, 04:36 PM
heres another thing to consider.... yes it was considered so rare in 2000 bc of knowledge and players ambition.... on this server if a magic item drops people will camp it from day 1. Pretty much anyone playing here needs to throw out their preconcieved notions of how 'rare' an item was or should be and accept the fact that we play on a server with elite gamers who will put on much longer hours farming items than anyone ever bothered to do on live at least early on with kunark

Erati Soulshatter
Bristlebane

DoucLangur
07-02-2011, 07:15 PM
Quite possible, However that doesnt explain the two drops I can confirm in the last 3 days, and who knows if more have dropped, Just sayin =)

[ ] You know how statistics work, thus you smartly deduce inconsistencies from two single events

Brinkman
07-02-2011, 11:12 PM
heres another thing to consider.... yes it was considered so rare in 2000 bc of knowledge and players ambition.... on this server if a magic item drops people will camp it from day 1. Pretty much anyone playing here needs to throw out their preconcieved notions of how 'rare' an item was or should be and accept the fact that we play on a server with elite gamers who will put on much longer hours farming items than anyone ever bothered to do on live at least early on with kunark

Erati Soulshatter
Bristlebane

Ive heard this before for many things. I think its absurdly silly to try and apply it here however.

This theory works for many things on P99. It however does not make any sense with this item.

Xalgoz is needed for a Key, He was killed just as much ( if not more ) On live in 2000, as the population was much greater on live servers.

Also, there were 30x as many servers on live. Which means 30x as many chances at it dropping, yet allakazam STILL listed it as no longer dropping.

People need to get it out of their heads that im comparing 1 live server to p99. Im talking about an item, that was so rare, that across ALL servers in 2000 it was deemed to not drop.

Do you really think that our "uber farmers on p99" can compare to that?

bullproofmonk
07-02-2011, 11:14 PM
Sounds like a case of "Fuck You, Got Mine".

Brinkman
07-02-2011, 11:22 PM
[ ] You know how statistics work, thus you smartly deduce inconsistencies from two single events

I also smartly added in my ENTIRE OP, That there seemed to be more for sale as well, and that others could have dropped in that time. On top of the two " Single events" that I could verify.

I do not deny that it's possible for the two drops in and of themselves to be pure coincidence. However, with the added knowledge it raises an eyebrow. hence my post.

A simple solution to this would be to post the drop information. It should be a once a week drop on average , if not less. Im willing to bet there are more than 10 on the server. I bet there is nearly 40, which means the drop rate is way too high.

Uthgaard do your magic!! /plead

Hijynx
07-03-2011, 08:53 PM
On live xalgoz wasnt camped all that much. Item isn't as rare as you think it is. I camped it on live a bunch.

Hijynx
07-03-2011, 08:56 PM
As in he was not camped 24/7. I always plvld my chars in kaesora.

Brinkman
07-03-2011, 09:13 PM
On live xalgoz wasnt camped all that much. Item isn't as rare as you think it is. I camped it on live a bunch.

You have left out a ton of information here, Like what time period you are talking about. By the time velious hit, not many people were camping Xalogoz sure, But even then, across all live servers he was still being camped more than on P99, and it was STILL deemed to no longer drop. Read post 8 if you have not.

Xalgoz is not locked down 24/7 here on p99 either folks, its open often.

Uthgaard
07-03-2011, 09:24 PM
Looks fine to me. There are several gaps of 2-6 weeks with nothing. People get worked up over streaks.

Brinkman
07-04-2011, 01:00 AM
Looks fine to me. There are several gaps of 2-6 weeks with nothing. People get worked up over streaks.

Appreciate you looking into it. Suppose you are right, I guess what got me was the others being sold, plus the small streak of drops... it just seemed like 5 hit the market in a few days and I was alarmed. Baalzy was prolly right about folks getting 60 and it not having a huge effect once exping is out of the equation and dumping them for plat. Thanks again for humoring me.