PDA

View Full Version : How to catch Quillmane (without ranger track)

Frysk
10-30-2022, 11:25 AM
Given the new (more classic) mechanics for Quillmane, I was keen to explore the possibilities and discover a new way to lock him down. I was also motivated by needing a cloak for my necro. I succeeded, and would like to share my method in the hope of helping others. In terms of tracking, I'm limited to my 55 bard - so high run speed, terrible tracking radius. Fortunately, there are enough tools at any tracker's disposal to guarantee that you never lose the PlaceHolder (PH) and eventually don your cloak.

In about 3-4 hours of trying (and making multiple mistakes), I spawned Quill three times. The first, he dropped legs. The second, someone else sniped him (sad face). The third, cloak landed for my necro.

In terms of speed and efficiency, there is no substitute for a ranger with max tracking. But even a ranger will lose the PH sometimes. This guide is for those classes who can't hear a mouse fart on the other side of the zone.

To provide a TLDR: spawn each PH inside a narrow window between two known and static mobs, and then travel the zone with those mobs.

Requirements:
1. Track (any level)
2. Timers (multiple)
3. No one else in the zone can be killing PHs or trying to spawn Quillmane
4. Either AOE or the identified Placeholder

Nice to have:
1. SoW or faster movement
2. Charm (to identify as soon as Quill is up)

Here we go. I will not mention faster tactics that a ranger might employ. I will also assume you are acting alone. There are clear ways to enhance this method with a partner - particularly a tracker, or someone who can cast SoW on charmed mobs.

FIRST STEP - claim the camp

This will not work if anyone else is killing these mobs indiscriminately, or trying to spawn Quill. So check camps, and then announce your intentions. If you have competition, come back another day.

SECOND STEP - find the PH

My method was to spend up to ten minutes trawling the zone for all of the mobs that might be the PH. From other threads and my brief experience, I believe they include:

an escaped splitpaw gnoll
a treant
a mist wolf
a shadow wolf
a lion
a lioness
an elephant
an aviak egret
an aviak avocet
a centaur sheltie
a centaur charger
a cyclops
an aviak harrier

Gather them in your wake, like a toddler's ride-on-train, until you have a good 15-20 mobs. I actually ignored treants when possible, hoping to avoid faction hits.

THIRD STEP - choose and kill your static spawn timer mobs

Pick any location with static mobs, and choose two. Note that for the rest of your hunt, you will effectively have these two chasing you around the zone. The only requirement is that you MUST be able to get back to their spawn point and pick them up before anyone else does, every ten minutes or so. For this reason, the gnolls are no good (too popular). I used the two aviaks in the first hut up the ramp. I also used two of the undead at their pyramid.

Once you've picked them, and with the train of mobs still chasing you, pull the two static mobs and kill one. The moment it dies, start a 6-minute timer. (That's the standard zone respawn time.)

Now, you need to know how long it will take you to burn down your train of mobs. If you are just a lone 55 bard, and you have a couple of cyclopses and avocets in your train, then three AOE dots will take at least a good minute - maybe a little more.Let's assume it will take you 1 minute to kill the train.

Kill the second static mob 1 minute after the first static mob. As it dies, start your second 6-minute timer.

FOURTH STEP - wait for the window, then nuke your train

You now have two timers - one at 6 minutes, the other at about 5 minutes. This is going to create a 1 minute window for the PH.

When the first timer has 78 seconds (1m 18s) remaining, nuke your train as fast as possible. You need every mob dead before the second timer has only 78 seconds remaining.

FIFTH STEP - pick up your static timer mobs, and start the search

You now have two timers - one at about 15 seconds remaining, and the other at about 78 seconds. All of the mobs you just killed will respawn in six minutes ... except for the PH (or Quillmane) who will respawn in 78 seconds.

Head back to your static spawn point, and pick up the two mobs as they respawn. They are now your travelling companions, and you must protect them until you find the PH.

If you have any form of charm, charm something and use "/pet attack Quillmane" to identify if Quillmane has spawned.

Now start running around the zone, dragging your timing window mobs with you. Tracking for bards and druids will always show mobs in spawn order - with the most recent spawn at the top. Hit track constantly until you find the ONLY mob in the zone that spawned between your two timer mobs.

I can tell you, after running around for five minutes and wondering why you didn't main a ranger, it is quite a thrill to see a lioness pop up in your track window, neatly wedged between Aviak Rook 1 and Aviak Rook 2. Huzzah, you have your PH.

In the event that you do not find the PH, all is not lost (unless someone else is killing these kinds of mobs). There will be one or two (or more) mobs that you missed in your initial sweep of the zone. These mobs will be lower in your track window than your two static spawns. I recommend keeping an eye out for any of the listed mob types that spawned before your static mobs, and drag them around with you while you search for the PH. If you decide that the PH was not in the first train, then repeat with your new, smaller train. You could even deisgnate two NEW static timers, and travel around with both sets of static timers, searching for the PH within either window.

SIXTH STEP - repeat with a narrower window

Now that you have the PH, you can narrow your timer window to ten seconds. Simply repeat the process with a narrower window - making sure to kill the PH within it.

And that's it. Eventually Quillmane will spawn, and you will probably do what I did the first time - freak out, sprint across the zone, kill him in glorious bloodlust, see your new pair of pants, and realise you've just lost the PH and have to start again. /sit /camp.

Or possibly you'll do what I did the next night - and try to avoid a faction hit on a treant PH by letting it kill itself on a cyclops, but just missing your window by a couple of seconds. Argh.

More likely, during your interminable wandering limited to the pace of two angry mobs, you'll see that someone else has silently joined the hunt. The true enemy for all Quillmane hunters is other Quillmane hunters who don't check the camp. Every mob these silent assassins kill while you are plodding around with your measly bard tracking is another chance that you will never find that wolf hiding between Rook 1 and Rook 2 in your track window.

But sooner or later you will be alone in the zone, or alone with the camp, and Quillmane's feathered cloak will be yours.

Thank you Nilbog for scripting Quillmane's new mechanics, and Daldaen and Haynar for informing the coding - it felt like discovering an old friend from live. Thanks also to Robot and Greenspectre for the discoveries they shared. It's all in this thread: https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389682

Good luck! I hope this method helps a few others, as so many have helped me during my travels.

loramin
10-30-2022, 11:40 AM
Great guide! You should consider adding it to the wiki.

Ripqozko
10-30-2022, 01:11 PM
Congrats on summoning Loramin about the wiki.

Ravager
10-30-2022, 02:21 PM
Congrats on summoning Loramin about the wiki.

Sorry you don't get wiki cred. Hope this helps.

Kaezyr D`Shiv
10-30-2022, 06:30 PM
...I was keen to explore...a cloak for my necro...
That is a lot of work you did for a necro lev clicky

I know it has a lvl req, but there is this one, not that expensive either:
https://wiki.project1999.com/Shai%27din_Revenant_Bauble

I imagined what it would be like trying this on a bard, and I gotta say that's a different take on how I would do it after already mastering the ranger method. Nice work.

Trexller
10-30-2022, 07:14 PM
https://wiki.project1999.com/Dead_Man_Floating

Frysk
10-30-2022, 11:22 PM
Thanks all. I'll add something to the wiki.

Yes I'm looking forward to DMF, and that earring looks great. I guess this was more about the challenge of finding a solution, which I'll use with alts and my brother's characters, and to help others. For me there's also an element of rite-of-passage. I've always snared a cloak for my characters. Love the thrill of it I guess.

Trexller
10-31-2022, 12:01 AM
Love the thrill of it I guess.

The only reason to do it!

Saisu
10-31-2022, 05:56 PM
Congrats!
Quillmane camp broke me after my 15th consecutive pairs of pants. Never came back...

spoil
11-01-2022, 08:29 PM
Appreciate the effort. I'll be using this guide when I get around to farming my first cloak for my chanter.

bcbrown
11-03-2022, 05:43 PM
I got two back-to-back Quillmane spawns while hunting Groi Gutblade, but both only had the leggings. Is there any easy way to sell the Cloak, since it's No Drop? I'm hunting on my druid, so I guess I could port to WC, auction in EC, then port someone to NK and hope Scale of Wolf is fast enough for them to reach the corpse before it rots?

Frysk
11-04-2022, 12:25 AM
I got two back-to-back Quillmane spawns while hunting Groi Gutblade, but both only had the leggings. Is there any easy way to sell the Cloak, since it's No Drop? I'm hunting on my druid, so I guess I could port to WC, auction in EC, then port someone to NK and hope Scale of Wolf is fast enough for them to reach the corpse before it rots?

What you've described might work, but you'd be pretty lucky to get a buyer and get back there. Corpse would probably need to be way up north. I think most people selling it would need their buyer ready to come and loot.

Gustoo
11-07-2022, 01:57 AM
I think you presale and have guy camp nearby and go on an alt

magnetaress
11-07-2022, 10:17 AM
So tldr go on red 1.0 or maybe 2.0 and kill mobs until quillmane pops.

greenspectre
11-24-2022, 12:50 PM
Thank you Nilbog for scripting Quillmane's new mechanics, and Daldaen and Haynar for informing the coding - it felt like discovering an old friend from live. Thanks also to Robot and Greenspectre for the discoveries they shared. It's all in this thread: https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389682

Good luck! I hope this method helps a few others, as so many have helped me during my travels.

Ayyye thanks for the shoutout! I'm glad my info helped! I've ran several cloaks by now and try to teach anybody who is in the zone and interested how to do the camp, but it's great to see a guide for non-rangers, since this is a pretty ranger-y camp but everybody wants a cloak.

If you see Aystar running around SK don't be afraid to ask any questions that aren't covered here!

Encroaching Death
11-24-2022, 01:24 PM
Man...maybe buying stacks of Bat Wings isn't so bad...

reznor_
11-24-2022, 01:59 PM
nice write up OP

fluttershy
07-11-2023, 11:14 PM
I have been running back and forth from the west side of KFC to the south of split paw for 2 days killing place holders as a mage.. never even laid eyes on the thing. I know for sure it spawned 3 times due to my pet attack button but of course rangers and bards took them before I have a change to find them... is there ANY location that is best to camp? can it literally spawn anywhere or can you sit and look at a specific location? unless you can reliably get it to pop at a specific location I don't understand how a mage is ever supposed to get the thing.

Croco
07-12-2023, 05:52 PM
I don't understand how a mage is ever supposed to get the thing.

Friends

Seducio
07-14-2023, 02:21 PM
In the current iteration of Quillmane on p99 can there be two or more Quillmanes up at once?

Toxigen
07-14-2023, 02:42 PM
I don't understand how a mage is ever supposed to get the thing.

farm shitty mobs with your pet

buy the LR

Kaezyr D`Shiv
07-14-2023, 02:47 PM
No. Same as there cannot be 2 ancient cyclops up in OOT at one time. Same deal

Frysk
07-14-2023, 10:54 PM
With the new mechanics it will be very hard without track. If you are determined to do this with a mage, I'd recommend posting for a ranger partner who wants the cloak as well, and farming two. You'll know instantly when Quill is up (thanks to mage pet) and have a good chance of being first there (with ranger track and SoW). Still need some luck or good hearted people in zone.

Jimjam
07-15-2023, 08:15 AM
Just use your lvl 30 ranger to spawn it, root snare it where you logged your mage and switch.

magnetaress
07-17-2023, 01:56 AM
u better have vram cuz someone is going to be on that puppy in less than 30 seconds

(virtual ram)

only if u consent
big sweaty virtual meatball hugs