PDA

View Full Version : Emulators legal?

Klanghin
03-10-2010, 12:59 PM
Hey is this server actually legal? I just asking because i do some posts in other forum to advertise the project. So is this legal or should i be careful where i post?

I thought it is legal, but few eq players assured me its not...

Rogean
03-10-2010, 01:07 PM
Yes it is legal, because A) We do not distribute copyrighted files, B) We do not charge people to play, therefor we are not making any sort of money or profit off of the intellectual property of SOE, and C) SOE Grants, in their user agreement, a license to utilize Everquest names and art, to all accounts in good standing:

"SOE hereby grants to each EverQuest account subscriber that is in good standing and with the grant automatically revoked as of the moment that the subscriber�s account is no longer in good standing (an "EQ Subscriber"), a limited, personal, nonexclusive, nontransferable, nonassignable and fully revocable license to use (a) the EverQuest name, and (b) trademarks and copyrighted material from EverQuest including NPC names and images, diety and monster names and images, geographical names, item names and images, character names and images, background art, and screenshots containing any of the foregoing�"

Some say that it is not legal due to the following clause in the user agreement:

9. You may not use any third party software to modify the Software to change Game play. You may not create, facilitate, host, link to or provide any other means through which the Game may be played by others, such as through server emulators. You may not take any action which imposes an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on our infrastructure. You may not buy, sell or auction (or host or facilitate the ability to allow others to buy, sell or auction) any Game characters, items, coin or copyrighted material.

However, statements like these in a user agreement do not constitute legality, they merely serve as a guideline that if broken can terminate your usage of their services.

MATPHAT
03-10-2010, 05:24 PM
The real question is, why isn't Sony smart enough to SUPPORT your server?
=D

Ferok
03-10-2010, 05:27 PM
=D

Did you not see what Everquest became? Clearly, the sony staff working on that game isn't their best nor brightest.

Zexa
03-10-2010, 05:55 PM
=D

That would be terrible. EQLive is a disgusting joke now. $15/month for a few thousand subcribers is a joke to them now. The real money comes from blasting the global system message system every 15 minutes letting you know there is a new Legends of Norrath booster pack available for purchase for $10 each, and if you buy about 200 of them there's a decent chance you may get an in-game reward that is relatively exclusive.

Or you can try their new strategy of spending 98% of developer's time designing new "Station Market" items for the weekly updates in which you can use real life cash to purchase advancements and novelty items in-game. Leveling too slow? Buy exp potions for $10! Just bought someone's character of eBay and need to look like you're not playing a stranger's character? Change your race/sex/name for $40! The amount of pure trash items you can buy for cash is astonishing.

Spud
03-10-2010, 06:03 PM
That would be terrible. EQLive is a disgusting joke now. $15/month for a few thousand subcribers is a joke to them now. The real money comes from blasting the global system message system every 15 minutes letting you know there is a new Legends of Norrath booster pack available for purchase for $10 each, and if you buy about 200 of them there's a decent chance you may get an in-game reward that is relatively exclusive.

Or you can try their new strategy of spending 98% of developer's time designing new "Station Market" items for the weekly updates in which you can use real life cash to purchase advancements and novelty items in-game. Leveling too slow? Buy exp potions for $10! Just bought someone's character of eBay and need to look like you're not playing a stranger's character? Change your race/sex/name for $40! The amount of pure trash items you can buy for cash is astonishing.

holy crap... is this true?

Simon Belmont
03-10-2010, 06:07 PM

sounds like Evony... hey P5ot!

Aeolwind
03-10-2010, 06:07 PM
holy crap... is this true?

lol, yep.

Rogean
03-10-2010, 06:15 PM
Yea you can buy potions now from the station store.. using Smedley Cash (SC), that will change your race, gender, name, xp increase, illusions, weapon ornamentations, etc.

Zithax
03-10-2010, 06:36 PM
I actually enjoy the LoN card game on occasion and the in game prizes you can get from it.

Game is super retarded now though.

MATPHAT
03-10-2010, 06:45 PM
hey, heyyy, All I'm saying is, it would be cool if they said, "Hey Project1999 you guys are cool".

Zexa
03-10-2010, 06:52 PM
Quote from a developer
We have no plans what so ever to do actual sales of in game items, and I'm personally very opposed to the idea for EverQuest. I think microtransations can be a valid business model if planned from the ground up for a game, but it would be very very bad for EQ.

-Ryan(Rytan_the_Wyrmlord)

Shortly thereafter...

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/4038/eq000124hh5.jpg

There was also some greatness from Smedley himself saying that this would never happen in EQ. They just did too great of a job addicting us and people completely overlook it.

No more CRs(You respawn with all your gear and can summon your corpse to you). No more need for grouping(You actually have a "mercenary" who will heal you or tank for you in battle). Instant travel anywhere(PoK, Guild portals). And you can purchase in game items for cash.

We bash on WoW a lot here, but EQLive just might be even worse.

MrBeerBelly
03-10-2010, 07:09 PM
EQ live is a sad affair.

That being I said I wish I could log onto project 1999.

Spud
03-10-2010, 07:40 PM
Quote from a developer

Shortly thereafter...

There was also some greatness from Smedley himself saying that this would never happen in EQ. They just did too great of a job addicting us and people completely overlook it.

No more CRs(You respawn with all your gear and can summon your corpse to you). No more need for grouping(You actually have a "mercenary" who will heal you or tank for you in battle). Instant travel anywhere(PoK, Guild portals). And you can purchase in game items for cash.

wow, this is just sad.

yt2005
03-10-2010, 07:55 PM
Can we have that message or a similar one broadcast on April Fool's? Set up a whole realistic looking store with a "broken" order page so you can't get to the screen to supposedly enter your credit card number? Pleeeease?

PearlJammzz
03-10-2010, 08:01 PM
Only thing that I will miss that we will never get here is the LDoNs. It was fun dungeon running with a group of friends :).

And yes, WoW>EQLive.

Go spam this server's info everywhere. It's a great server, and will only get better the better community we have. Can you imagine if there were so many people playing they had to do a server split? lol.

But seriously, the more the merrier, and you don't have to worry about anything legal coming back to bite anyone in the ass.

Haynar
03-10-2010, 11:48 PM
The classic experience is great. I don't understand why Sony didn't make their own truly classic server. They should have done the same thing, timeline wise. It would have been a lot of work to get going, but it would have been worth it.

They could have brought back "The Vision". But instead, we found it, and brought it here. Wouldn't it be funny if some people like Brad Mcquaid, or John Smedley were sneaking on to the server to play and relive the experience?

Spamming message boards tends to piss people off, so I personally don't recommend unbridled spamming. Bringing the server up in conversation, won't tick people off usually. There are a lot of people out there that have tried the EMU servers before. In the past, they weren't the most reliable, and bugs were annoying. The EMU code has matured greatly. I think we have got the bigger bugs under pretty good control now. There are just plenty of little adjustments left to do.

Haynar

Klanghin
03-11-2010, 12:10 AM
I tried to do some "non-spamming" Postings in the official eq1 boards (as i still have an active account there because i still pay my eq2 account). But all i got were rude posts of players and especially admins (!) and they all screamed about me: this wouldnt be Legal and they hope i go in Jail for posting this (lol) and stuff like that. I really couldnt believe it. Admins deleted my post fast (reason: You are not allowed to post links to bla bla bla....i did not post any links i just mentioned project1999 but i did not post any links. They deleted my posting anyway for no reason.

Answers to my postings were stuff like that:

There are places in hell reserved for People like you

I hope they catch you and put you in Jail

I know sounds like i did a completely tard post over there, but i swear i didnt. I just wrote 1-2 Sentences that there is a good free classic server, nothing else. I have no idea whats wrong with these people, but since i know they all tards i dont even want them on our nice server :)

Killamancer
03-11-2010, 01:02 AM
Quote from a developer

Shortly thereafter...

Saying eqlive is worst than wow might be a little harsh. I stopped playing eq after I was in the beta of the latest expansion and its not as bad as everyone is saying. Don't get me wrong, the game isnt what it used to be but there are some changes I like. I don't think no more corpse runs is that bad, most of you probably have some good memories of retrieving your corpse out of a hard dungeon but corpse runs weren't fun and didn't make the game more challenging, its just a time sink. Mercs are needed for the game sadly, there isn't a big enough population to always find pick up groups(i never had that problem though). They won't replace a group and you definitely wont replace a human healer/tank with one since they are extremely stupid. I do hate that they took out most traveling, but again its just a time sink anyways and doesn't add a challenge to the game. I hate station cash and refuse to support it(haven't even spent the free points that they gave everyone yet). They MOSTLY sell stuff that doesn't affect gameplay, but it is one of the worst things that happened to eq. btw I think they gave everyone 3 free days to play for their 11th anniversary today.

atvaata
03-11-2010, 05:22 AM
this post gets two erudite with gold teeth and red shoes, penises down.

Sorrik
03-11-2010, 10:46 AM
btw I think they gave everyone 3 free days to play for their 11th anniversary today.

If anything says anything about SOE's current practices is that they gave away their 3 free days in the middle of the workweek, and one of those days was a patching day.

guineapig
03-11-2010, 11:30 AM
Saying eqlive is worst than wow might be a little harsh. I stopped playing eq after I was in the beta of the latest expansion and its not as bad as everyone is saying. Don't get me wrong, the game isnt what it used to be but there are some changes I like. I don't think no more corpse runs is that bad, most of you probably have some good memories of retrieving your corpse out of a hard dungeon but corpse runs weren't fun and didn't make the game more challenging, its just a time sink. Mercs are needed for the game sadly, there isn't a big enough population to always find pick up groups(i never had that problem though). They won't replace a group and you definitely wont replace a human healer/tank with one since they are extremely stupid. I do hate that they took out most traveling, but again its just a time sink anyways and doesn't add a challenge to the game. I hate station cash and refuse to support it(haven't even spent the free points that they gave everyone yet). They MOSTLY sell stuff that doesn't affect gameplay, but it is one of the worst things that happened to eq. btw I think they gave everyone 3 free days to play for their 11th anniversary today.

I absolutely agree with you in the fact that so much of the game is time sink related as opposed to adding a challenge. And let's face it, when the max level is 85 and there are others running around with 4k AA's, you don't really need any other time sink.

Hasbinbad
03-11-2010, 11:37 AM
You say it's not as bad as they make it out to be, yet you do not refute a single claim. If what these guys have said is true, eq not only has turned it's back on it's soul, but has gone down the road of those idiotic Korean free-to-play cash-shop games, while they also charge a subscription. Sounds like a great deal for Sony.

"It's morally wrong to let a sucker keep his money." -Paul "The Hustler" Newman

Ferok
03-11-2010, 11:44 AM
I absolutely agree with you in the fact that so much of the game is time sink related as opposed to adding a challenge. And let's face it, when the max level is 85 and there are others running around with 4k AA's, you don't really need any other time sink.

Reducing travel time from anywhere to anywhere down to 5 minutes (zoning included) really ruins the size of the game. Call it a timesink if you want (travelling) but I think that without it you lose that sense of scale and it really takes away from the immersion factor.

Striiker
03-11-2010, 12:28 PM
I agree that taking out the travel time in game ruined the feel. I used to love the boats in game. Yeah, it sucked if you missed it but it was great to see shouts of "Boat!" and then see the stampede of people running to catch it. There was always one guy running (hopping) along the dock just as the boat pulled away.. It was funny to see and funny when it was me (although not AS funny)... :)
I even enjoyed the times I had to travel from Qeynos to Freeport. It was a mini adventure. Sometimes people would shout that they were forming a group to make the trip in order to increase safety.
EQ had a great balance and it was a sad day indeed when the boats went away and even worse when PoK showed up.. I didn't care for the nexus when it showed up but at least there was still some travel one had to make.

Fearstalker - Level 1 Erudite Enchanter

Ferok
03-11-2010, 01:19 PM
I agree that taking out the travel time in game ruined the feel. I used to love the boats in game. Yeah, it sucked if you missed it but it was great to see shouts of "Boat!" and then see the stampede of people running to catch it. There was always one guy running (hopping) along the dock just as the boat pulled away.. It was funny to see and funny when it was me (although not AS funny)... :)
I even enjoyed the times I had to travel from Qeynos to Freeport. It was a mini adventure. Sometimes people would shout that they were forming a group to make the trip in order to increase safety.
EQ had a great balance and it was a sad day indeed when the boats went away and even worse when PoK showed up.. I didn't care for the nexus when it showed up but at least there was still some travel one had to make.

Fearstalker - Level 1 Erudite Enchanter
Yeah, I agree. Nexus was no where near as bad. It's not like you could go from point A to point B in 5 minutes. Unless you were going from Karnors to Felwithe you still had to huff it a long way.

Klanghin
03-11-2010, 03:14 PM
it was a sad day indeed when the boats went away

ADMINS GIVE US OUR BOATS BACK! :P

MATPHAT
03-11-2010, 03:22 PM
Why are boats broken?

guineapig
03-11-2010, 03:38 PM
Why are boats broken?

To emulate EQLive.

Uaellaen
03-11-2010, 05:57 PM
To emulate EQLive.

OMG best statement EVER =D

nilbog
03-11-2010, 06:09 PM
Why are boats broken?

Historically, boats were/are broken due to the upgrade from directx8 to directx9, iirc. It made them hollow. That was the original reason they added the translocators to the live eq servers.

It is a maze of perl and luck to get them to function at all.. and hopefully, you'll get to see rideable boats again soon.

Slake
03-11-2010, 09:15 PM
and hopefully, you'll get to see rideable boats again soon.

As long as the sharks can still get you!! If they can't attack you while on the boat, then please leave them out of p99 please.

Klanghin
03-13-2010, 02:51 PM
As long as the sharks can still get you!! If they can't attack you while on the boat, then please leave them out of p99 please.

OMG remember when i was a lvl 10 paladin and went from FP to Butcher a shark got me in that boat, i never found my corpse :D

BlazeKING
03-13-2010, 03:11 PM
LOL the random pirate attacks were cool to

Aeolwind
03-13-2010, 03:14 PM
I was on Seafury island one night. Got an extra so I took off with lev/sow out over the water...and here come the boat! Seeing an escape route I warped through the side and up on deck. Sadly, 3 seafuries warped onto the boat, killed everyone but me....cause I ran again, and then they lost aggro on me and returned home. I ran across the zone and onto the other boat going the other way. When I hit the dock there were TONS of angry people that had no clue wtf just happened.

Arksa_Apocrypha
03-17-2010, 09:17 PM
"Sony,the one that's phony"