PDA

View Full Version : Team Fortress 2 Re-Launched as a FREE 2 Play

Snapple
06-25-2011, 04:25 PM
Valve explains to Develop why it relaunched Team Fortress 2 as free-to-play forever

Counter-Strike, the culturally-significant decade-old multiplayer phenomenon, may finally be dethroned as the most popular game on Steam.

Valve today has relaunched Team Fortress 2 as a complete free game, in what Valve describes as "the most ambitious update in the history of Team Fortress 2”.

Develop has been given exclusive access to speak to game’s longstanding patriarch, Robin Walker, to discuss the move in detail.

http://www.develop-online.net/features/1325/Free-at-last

jarshale
06-25-2011, 04:46 PM
this is because they made a stupid amount of money off hats. I'm not sure how I feel about this

Gustahn
06-25-2011, 05:04 PM
Cash shop mentality is insane.

Having people that spend thousands of dollars on cosmetics.... is the point someone needs to smack them and say no.

Im sure there will be an episode of hoarders with someone addicted to cash shops.

Arclyte
06-26-2011, 11:22 AM
You can literally generate all your gaming funding from selling fucking hats in TF2

I've since bought XCOM and Mount & Blade via hatfunds

There are some servers where people trade hats and don't fight each other. I started out holding a server hostage by killing everyone and demanding hats for lulz, but it's become rather lucrative now.

jarshale
06-26-2011, 11:56 AM
I started out holding a server hostage by killing everyone and demanding hats for lulz

I like how you think

Fourthmeal
06-26-2011, 09:00 PM
whats the big deal with the hats?

alexandervaccaro
06-27-2011, 01:43 PM
What about all of us who paid for the game? Fuck this shit

Fourthmeal
06-27-2011, 03:17 PM
What about all of us who paid for the game? Fuck this shit

Orange Box was a great deal

alexandervaccaro
06-27-2011, 03:37 PM
I don't remember exactly what it was, but I pre-ordered Half-Life 2 Gold way back when. It was supposed to come with Team Fortress 2 and DoD: Source which made the 80$ price tag ok?. It didn't even have DoD: Source.

baalzy
06-27-2011, 06:11 PM
People who already own TF2 get upgraded to a 'premium' account automatically.

Whatever the hell that means.

Hottbiscuits Dreadmuffin
06-29-2011, 12:04 PM
Never paid for hats

Wait, that's a lie. I paid for the key to open the crate to get the hat. Goddamnit.

guineapig
06-29-2011, 12:13 PM
I stopped playing TF2 shortly before they introduced the hats. I loved the hell out of that game though. So much fun and just so well designed. Some of the community build maps are simply amazing too If anyone gets into this I humbly recommend the No-heroes server. It's a good community running multiple servers 24-7 and some great build in features.