PDA

View Full Version : Does giving -MR items to pets "really" help minimize charm breaks?

Chortles Snortles
10-05-2022, 12:51 PM
If yes, how do you know and how much -MR makes a noticeable difference?
(Necro here)

Kich867
10-05-2022, 02:36 PM
I have to imagine it does given that other wearable effects (notably haste) are active when you hand pets items, so they equip the item.

Stonewallx39
10-05-2022, 03:00 PM
Yes, it’s a big difference. Also the book makes mobs dual wield while beating the hell out of everyone like an angry librarian.

unsunghero
10-05-2022, 03:20 PM
Never bothered in 54 levels of charm soloing

If I’m outdoors I can space the pet far enough that I can get a mez off on a break before they close. Should be even easier to handle with a snared pet on necro I would think

I guess if you wanted to make a super pet in a dungeon maybe. I don’t really group tho so

Chortles Snortles
10-05-2022, 03:27 PM
ah the book is a good idea, charm breaks don't happen as often as they did at 54 vs 56 so maybe it was the levels

ty

PatChapp
10-05-2022, 03:50 PM
If your just doing 1v1 charm solo, I would avoid the book at least. Pair of adamantite bands stacks for -20.

Book,rings and shoulderpads is like adding Tash. Very handy and not too expensive to maintain.

Chortles Snortles
10-05-2022, 03:54 PM
i like grouping too - i'll see if this package makes a difference
what i really enjoy is using a pet to beat up 2 mobs then calm release it for super fast regen, rinse repeat

comfy grind when it goes well

PatChapp
10-05-2022, 04:16 PM
If your keeping a pet,or reusing the same pet it's very handy kit.
Your level relative to mob level will always make the biggest difference,but MR is next on the list.

zelld52
10-05-2022, 04:24 PM
piggybacking this post - RE: necro charming. i have been charming exclusively since level 40 (level 53 now) - but since necro don't get a mem blur, does it make sense to reuse/keep a pet?

PatChapp
10-05-2022, 04:30 PM
Necros have 2 mem blurs,screaming terror and fd.
Rest the dead your pet and flop, when you get up it will be reset and not agro.
Or do the same with screaming terror,you'll know it blurred when it turns 90degrees

zelld52
10-05-2022, 04:45 PM
Necros have 2 mem blurs,screaming terror and fd.
Rest the dead your pet and flop, when you get up it will be reset and not agro.
Or do the same with screaming terror,you'll know it blurred when it turns 90degrees

Oh, I didn't know that worked like that. It works (Rest the Dead) while the mob is still charmed?

PatChapp
10-05-2022, 04:50 PM
Yes you can pacify your pet while charmed

Chortles Snortles
10-05-2022, 04:53 PM
yup its so much fun mowing down mobs
forgot about haste weapons + hasting your pet but then you're really playing with fire

Crede
10-05-2022, 05:25 PM
what i really enjoy is using a pet to beat up 2 mobs then calm release it for super fast regen, rinse repeat

pet kits are really more of a duo thing, ideally when the pet isn't tanking or you have a cleric around.

best thing solo is the conga line. Just send your pet against like 6 mobs, root them all, then deflux em down 1 by 1 recharming as necessary. Use Paralyzing earth in slot 1 so you can gcd reset chain cast it for fast roots.

Chortles Snortles
10-05-2022, 05:52 PM
so satisfying to see 4-5 HTs go off when you send in a pet to conga line
just learned about that slot 1 cast trick today - gonna try it out!!!

unsunghero
10-05-2022, 06:02 PM
yup its so much fun mowing down mobs
forgot about haste weapons + hasting your pet but then you're really playing with fire

I don’t want to sound too class envious, but I feel necro is in a much safer position for charm breaks than enc because of snare and FD

If charm breaks, don’t necro’s have a ridiculously good snare by 50+? So the pet is inchy-squinchy crawling to them after a charm break? And let’s say the necro was alt tabbed fap fap fap’ing with their d*** in their hand, and they tab back and oh no the charm pet has slowly crawled over to me!….FD

I only haste (never really carry torches or offhand weapons but that’s only bc I keep forgetting) when I know I can space the pet far enough there’s no way he can close the distance to me before I can mez, and that’s un-snared keep in mind

The real reason haste isn’t effective for soloing though is because 1.) Even a pet that’s had its ride Pimped still can only kill about 3 equal-ish level mobs before it’s too beat up, maybe even less if you aren’t slowing the mobs it’s killing, and 2.) reverse charming seems to be faster exp/hour

Like someone else mentioned Uber pets seem to for grouping

Crede
10-05-2022, 06:15 PM
I don’t want to sound too class envious, but I feel necro is in a much safer position for charm breaks than enc because of snare and FD

If charm breaks, don’t necro’s have a ridiculously good snare by 50+? So the pet is inchy-squinchy crawling to them after a charm break? And let’s say the necro was alt tabbed fap fap fap’ing with their d*** in their hand, and they tab back and oh no the charm pet has slowly crawled over to me!….FD

I only haste (never really carry torches or offhand weapons but that’s only bc I keep forgetting) when I know I can space the pet far enough there’s no way he can close the distance to me before I can mez, and that’s un-snared keep in mind

The real reason haste isn’t effective for soloing though is because 1.) Even a pet that’s had its ride Pimped still can only kill about 3 equal-ish level mobs before it’s too beat up, maybe even less if you aren’t slowing the mobs it’s killing, and 2.) reverse charming seems to be faster exp/hour

I wouldn’t waste mana on snaring pet when charm soloing. Mez/Manaskin is good for breaks and fd/hs for emergencies. If you have epic then maybe I’d consider it along with some snare pulls but ultimately not really needed.

Garnaak
10-05-2022, 06:23 PM
How much it helps probably depends on the mobs initial MR.

I have not done anything other than torch and gnoll hide lariat my pets so far. I do have better proc'ing weapons and ada rings, but scared to lose them. I am keeping those in reserve to use when I am higher level and in a killer group where I know I will keep my pets a long time.

PatChapp
10-05-2022, 06:31 PM
The trick to pet gear is to just accept it's loss before you lose it. It's mostly cheap and readily available.
Also buy a swarmcaller best pet weapon for high level stuff. Pet with slow proc is rediculously nice,especially for necros

Chortles Snortles
10-05-2022, 07:07 PM

hey dumb dumb, remember we can calm + release pets to regen their hp super fast and re-charm them to resume killing - it's also you know like, FUN :eek:

unsunghero
10-05-2022, 09:24 PM
hey dumb dumb, remember we can calm + release pets to regen their hp super fast and re-charm them to resume killing - it's also you know like, FUN :eek:

Yea, I’ve done it many times. I dunno, it still feels kinda slow and awkward re-mezzing a few times waiting for that blur, then waiting for the regen ticks which feels like 10% or so/tick

Oh and the big obvious issue I forgot to mention with keeping a super pet is giving up 50% exp to it every kill

But to be completely honest, I did that quite a bit through level 54. I found a spot I like outside with mobs that have a wide level range, some were blue, the rest green. I’d charm the blue ones, haste them with biggest haste, massacre the greens (slowing each one to minimize damage to the pet, I would even rune the pet during fights sometimes to keep it going), then kill the blue. It was fun, but still felt slower than reverse charming the greens

Chortles Snortles
10-05-2022, 09:30 PM
depends on my mood tbf
congaline can be stressful in hs with harm fucking touching skeletons
really comfy and laid back to kill the entrance with super pets and then fd
been grouping lately too which is why i started wondering about the -mr stuff - my last go around at 54 i didn't really feel it did anything, being 56 seems to have been the bigger help this time around

PatChapp
10-06-2022, 05:57 AM
Yea, I’ve done it many times. I dunno, it still feels kinda slow and awkward re-mezzing a few times waiting for that blur, then waiting for the regen ticks which feels like 10% or so/tick

Oh and the big obvious issue I forgot to mention with keeping a super pet is giving up 50% exp to it every kill

But to be completely honest, I did that quite a bit through level 54. I found a spot I like outside with mobs that have a wide level range, some were blue, the rest green. I’d charm the blue ones, haste them with biggest haste, massacre the greens (slowing each one to minimize damage to the pet, I would even rune the pet during fights sometimes to keep it going), then kill the blue. It was fun, but still felt slower than reverse charming the greens
One way to use a buffed super pet is to reverse charm as well.
Charm pet,haste, torch,proc weapon if your feeling spicy. Break charm,root it.
Charm another mob and throw it at it. As long as you keep it rooted and break/kill your pet it's full xp and very safe. Just kill it at the end to get your stuff back.

Chortles Snortles
10-06-2022, 09:32 AM
so the very first pet i give x2 adamantite rings and spiked shoulder pads to broke charm in seconds and then lose the items shortly thereafter it dies b4 i can break charm
(lol)

Stonewallx39
10-06-2022, 10:12 AM

I’ve primarily only given -mr items while I’m group. For solo work I’m usually working too fast for it to matter.

Chortles Snortles
10-06-2022, 10:16 AM
^this

Toxigen
10-06-2022, 10:28 AM
snortles has turned over a new leaf

he is now divine elf

Chortles Snortles
10-06-2022, 10:41 AM
i just wanna grill life mode

Tunabros
10-06-2022, 12:58 PM
yes, retard

Chortles Snortles
10-06-2022, 02:08 PM
ah yes the noob Druid that always dies first has an opinion
(lol)

Chortles Snortles
10-09-2022, 01:33 PM
so what i learned that the true purpose of giving -mr items to pets is more to easily re-charm & MeZ, doesn't affect pet duration

ty all :3