PDA

View Full Version : Book Thread

Kaveh
08-10-2022, 02:09 AM
Any recommendations are welcome

I’m gonna re-recommend something I’ve already mentioned. Philip & Alexander by Adrian Goldsworthy. It’s about Alexander’s conquest and Macedon’s rise under his father Philip. Great book. It’s historical but it’s a quick read because he’s a good author and the subject matter is interesting

magnetaress
08-10-2022, 02:21 AM
The foundation novels by Isaac Asimov.
C.J. Sheryls the Pride of Chanur series.

And your preferred Bible.

Khardan
08-10-2022, 03:11 AM
I'll beat Blistig to it: Cradle series, Will Wight.

Also Licanius Trilogy, James Islington.
Dresden Files, Codex Alera, Jim Butcher.

Anything by Joe Abercrombie. Scott Lynch. Django Wexler, Scott Hawkins, Sanderson, Piers, Jordan, Jacka, Weir, Krout,...I could go all night...

Bardp1999
08-10-2022, 04:10 AM
Storm Light Archives by Brandon Sanderson are my favorite. Only problem is he is only on book 4 of 10 so it will be 30 more years until the series is finished

Toxigen
08-10-2022, 06:12 AM
Reading "The Hard Sell" right now...bout halfway but its a look into a specific pharma company that bent the rules hard to push a fentanyl based opioid product to market and got it prescribed to people who had no business taking it.

Quite good. My library card is still at the front of my wallet.

Homesteaded
08-10-2022, 07:54 AM
If you’re looking for a fun book, Devolution is a good option.

Elizondo
08-10-2022, 11:24 AM
Mao: The Unknown Story

Stalin: The Court Of The Red Tsar

Rethalis
08-10-2022, 01:11 PM
Fiction: The Terror by Dan Simmons. Its a long one, 900 pages.

"It is a fictionalized account of Captain Sir John Franklin's lost expedition, on HMS Erebus and HMS Terror, to the Arctic, in 1845–1848, to locate the Northwest Passage"

Non-Fiction: The Book of Camping and Woodworking.

https://www.amazon.com/Book-Camping-Woodcraft-Legacy-Wilderness/dp/1643890034

Everybody should have some basic knowledge of the outdoors. This one is a older one so it places more emphasis on your own individual skill rather than a piece of tech you bring.

Rethalis
08-10-2022, 01:31 PM
Any recommendations are welcome

I’m gonna re-recommend something I’ve already mentioned. Philip & Alexander by Adrian Goldsworthy. It’s about Alexander’s conquest and Macedon’s rise under his father Philip. Great book. It’s historical but it’s a quick read because he’s a good author and the subject matter is interesting

Added to my list. His story is crazy. Especially the amount of love and worship he received in Egypt after pushing the persians out.

loramin
08-10-2022, 02:56 PM
Fiction: The Terror by Dan Simmons. Its a long one, 900 pages.

"It is a fictionalized account of Captain Sir John Franklin's lost expedition, on HMS Erebus and HMS Terror, to the Arctic, in 1845–1848, to locate the Northwest Passage"

Shocked to see anyone mention Simmons here, since I was going to recommend him also ... but I'd recommend Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion (two books, one story) instead. I'm both a Literature major and a big science-fiction fan, and those two books are my favorite works of fiction, ever.

At the same time however, I would caution you never to read Simmons' Illium and Olympus. Illium also start out with an amazing story ... but Simmons was clearly still learning to be a writer when he wrote it, as the ending (Olympus) is absolutely atrocious. If he hadn't written my favorite books ever, I would hate Dan Simmons with a fiery passion for writing Olympus: it's that bad.

P.S. The Hyperion books also have a couple of sequels, Endymion and Rise of Endymion. They're good, and it's fun to come back to that same universe again, but they're definitely not as good as the originals (which is usually true of sequels).

mcoy
08-10-2022, 03:04 PM
One of my more modern favorites:

Wool, or the "Silo" series by Hugh Howey

-Mcoy

mcoy
08-10-2022, 03:07 PM
I'd recommend Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion

I went to add these and I already have them. Now I remember - damned shrike.

-Mcoy

suptoofs
08-10-2022, 03:22 PM
The Elephant Vanishes by Haruki Murakami is a solid book of short stories.

Rethalis
08-10-2022, 03:43 PM
Shocked to see anyone mention Simmons here, since I was going to recommend him also ... but I'd recommend Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion (two books, one story) instead. I'm both a Literature major and a big science-fiction fan, and those two books are my favorite works of fiction, ever.

At the same time however, I would caution you never to read Simmons' Illium and Olympus. Illium also start out with an amazing story ... but Simmons was clearly still learning to be a writer when he wrote it, as the ending (Olympus) is absolutely atrocious. If he hadn't written my favorite books ever, I would hate Dan Simmons with a fiery passion for writing Olympus: it's that bad.

P.S. The Hyperion books also have a couple of sequels, Endymion and Rise of Endymion. They're good, and it's fun to come back to that same universe again, but they're definitely not as good as the originals (which is usually true of sequels).

I remember I was at barnes and noble looking for a civil war book, I would buy one for grandma every year for christmas. It was in the new release section and at the time I had a strong fascination with stories of exploration and mountaineering and john muir at the time. The picture on the front and the back cover synopsis just spoke to me so I picked it (the terror) up.

I will definitely add the Hyperion and the sequels to my list. Thanks.

loramin
08-10-2022, 04:11 PM
I went to add these and I already have them. Now I remember - damned shrike.

-Mcoy

:D He shows up in the sequels also.

loramin
08-10-2022, 04:13 PM
I will definitely add the Hyperion and the sequels to my list. Thanks.

Well now I need to pick up The Terror, so thanks right back at ya :)

robayon
08-10-2022, 05:51 PM
The Night's Dawn trilogy (The Reality Dysfunction, The Neutronium Alchemist, The Naked God) by Peter F. Hamilton - a interesting blend of solid sci-fi, light history, and a dash of theology in a less ham-fisted way than Arthur C. Clarke.

Revelation Space universe by Alastair Reynolds - Pretty fun hard sci-fi which deals with the whole FTL barrier in a very fun way, mostly. His unrelated novel "Pushing Ice" is also a great book.

The Culture novels by Iain M. Banks - great far-future post-scarcity series of books, some of which are related to the others to varying degrees. Elon Musk likes to name his spaceships after the spaceships in these books but don't let that connection turn you off from these wonderful books (if you aren't a Musk fan, anyways)

Thirding anything by Dan Simmons, loved the Hyperion Cantos when I was a teenager. I did read Ilium and Olympos as well but I didn't like those as much. The Terror was a great tv show, always meant to read the book.

The original Conan novels by Robert E. Howard. They're like 100+ years old and no they are not politically correct at all like a lot of popular white guy fiction at the time but they are amazing reading.

For fiction, anyways.

Horza
08-10-2022, 06:01 PM
Revelation Space is increasingly disappointing the further you get in the series, but the standalone Chasm City is really good.

I recently reread Haruki Murakami's Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World.

Rethalis
08-10-2022, 06:32 PM
Mao: The Unknown Story

Stalin: The Court Of The Red Tsar

I would add this one to this list the definitive biography of Adolf Hitler by John Tolan (https://countercurrents.org/2021/04/adolf-hitler-the-definitive-biography-1976-john-toland/)

Rethalis
08-10-2022, 06:47 PM
I recently reread Haruki Murakami's Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World.

I looked it up. That is an interesting concept for a book

GinnasP99
08-10-2022, 06:48 PM
Paradise Lost

loramin
08-10-2022, 07:11 PM
Paradise Lost

I actually did read the first half or so of Paradise Lost, for a class in college, and ... you're an evil bastard for recommending it ;)

EDIT: But, on the plus side, if anyone feels masochistic, it is free online: https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/26/pg26.txt

Here's the first stanza, in case I get accused of besmirching Milton:

Of Man’s first disobedience, and the fruit
Of that forbidden tree whose mortal taste
Brought death into the World, and all our woe,
With loss of Eden, till one greater Man
Restore us, and regain the blissful seat,
Sing, Heavenly Muse, that, on the secret top
Of Oreb, or of Sinai, didst inspire
That shepherd who first taught the chosen seed
In the beginning how the heavens and earth
Rose out of Chaos: or, if Sion hill
Delight thee more, and Siloa’s brook that flowed
Fast by the oracle of God, I thence
Invoke thy aid to my adventurous song,
That with no middle flight intends to soar
Above th’ Aonian mount, while it pursues
Things unattempted yet in prose or rhyme.
And chiefly thou, O Spirit, that dost prefer
Before all temples th’ upright heart and pure,
Instruct me, for thou know’st; thou from the first
Wast present, and, with mighty wings outspread,
Dove-like sat’st brooding on the vast Abyss,
And mad’st it pregnant: what in me is dark
Illumine, what is low raise and support;
That, to the height of this great argument,
I may assert Eternal Providence,
And justify the ways of God to men.

Not exactly light reading, but it does have some great imagery.

Elizondo
08-10-2022, 07:49 PM
Recommended Fantasy would be The Elric Saga

You'll despise The Witcher after reading it

Kaveh
08-11-2022, 02:17 AM
Hyperion is a good series, also second the foundation series recommendation from Isaac Asimov

Wrekt
08-11-2022, 09:12 AM
https://www.1946themovie.com/

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/50454022-drugs-as-weapons-against-us

https://theanarchistlibrary.org/library/pierre-joseph-proudhon-property-is-theft

mcoy
08-11-2022, 10:59 AM
Hyperion is a good series, also second the foundation series recommendation from Isaac Asimov

Asimov still tops my list. One of his lesser-known ones that my elem school library had was the "Adventures of Lucky Starr" series. Ties in to the Robot novels well.

-Mcoy

loramin
08-11-2022, 11:23 AM

Asimov still tops my list. One of his lesser-known ones that my elem school library had was the "Adventures of Lucky Starr" series. Ties in to the Robot novels well.

-Mcoy

Never read Lucky Starr, but ... YES!! Everything Asimov wrote is amazing (I even own his joke book, which is a bit dated, but still funny ... the man wrote books in almost every major category in the Dewey Decimal System!).

But especially yes to everything from the Foundation/Robot series (which are really one epic interconnected story). R. Daneel is the man ... er robot.

Jibartik
08-11-2022, 08:31 PM
This channel is neat, I've shared it before but thought I'd share it here too because this one is really cool. It's nice to get this guys cliffnotes for some strange ones.

UjrXHaDYb7w

realsubtle
08-12-2022, 02:18 AM
Man after Man: An Anthropology of the Future by Dougal Dixon
An insane speculative-scifi fever dream about humanity, evolution, and the dark heart of nature. Don't just look at the brilliant and crazy illustrations, the narratives are easily twice as fascinating.

Baudolino, by Umberto Eco.
A little Italian boy in the Holy Roman Empire days proves to be good at words and better at bullshitting so he gets hired by Frederick Barbarossa. He spends a dissolute youth vainly using what power and connections he has by merit of his prodigy pursuing stories of dubious holy relics and fantasies of Prester John, the mythical Christian king of the far East. The whole story is told mainly by Baudolino himself, to this Greek dude he meets as the Crusades are sieging the Byzantine Empire at Constantinople. Really fascinating story of a dyed-in-the-wool super-grifter.

Name of the Rose, by Umberto Eco
What if Sherlock Holmes was a British monk who came to an Italian monastery with his little Italian buddy to attend a theological disputation between the Pope and the Franciscans, and ends up having to use medieval scholastic reasoning to try and solve a murder mystery that goes to the very heart of ideas of heresy and faith in the medieval era? Well, if you read this book you will find out, and have a lot of fun doing it!

robayon
08-12-2022, 09:06 AM
I bought a copy of Foucault's Pendulum on Thriftbooks and when I opened it a flattened dead tick fell out. It was very yellow and aged.

loramin
08-12-2022, 11:25 AM
I bought a copy of Foucault's Pendulum on Thriftbooks and when I opened it a flattened dead tick fell out. It was very yellow and aged.

Damn, another author that I thought only Literature (or Philosophy) majors were crazy enough to read ;)

robayon
08-12-2022, 12:14 PM
Damn, another author that I thought only Literature (or Philosophy) majors were crazy enough to read ;)I have an associate's degree :)

GinnasP99
08-12-2022, 02:21 PM
I really liked this book when I was a kid.

https://www.amazon.com/Talion-Revenant-Michael-Stackpole/dp/0553576569

https://imgur.com/jaMNh7X.jpg

Kaveh
08-12-2022, 08:01 PM
Man after Man: An Anthropology of the Future by Dougal Dixon
An insane speculative-scifi fever dream about humanity, evolution, and the dark heart of nature. Don't just look at the brilliant and crazy illustrations, the narratives are easily twice as fascinating.

Baudolino, by Umberto Eco.
A little Italian boy in the Holy Roman Empire days proves to be good at words and better at bullshitting so he gets hired by Frederick Barbarossa. He spends a dissolute youth vainly using what power and connections he has by merit of his prodigy pursuing stories of dubious holy relics and fantasies of Prester John, the mythical Christian king of the far East. The whole story is told mainly by Baudolino himself, to this Greek dude he meets as the Crusades are sieging the Byzantine Empire at Constantinople. Really fascinating story of a dyed-in-the-wool super-grifter.

Name of the Rose, by Umberto Eco
What if Sherlock Holmes was a British monk who came to an Italian monastery with his little Italian buddy to attend a theological disputation between the Pope and the Franciscans, and ends up having to use medieval scholastic reasoning to try and solve a murder mystery that goes to the very heart of ideas of heresy and faith in the medieval era? Well, if you read this book you will find out, and have a lot of fun doing it!

Interesting recommendations. Gonna keep these on my list once I finish up my Roman history binge

Kaveh
08-12-2022, 11:39 PM
Finishing up Gaius Marius by Marc Hyden. Not the best writing, but still good. Very informative regarding the “first” successful autocrat that ended with the republic becoming an empire. It’s also interesting reading about his ability as a general. He changed how the Roman army operated in terms of it being a force that carried its own gear and made fortified encampments, etc

Interesting for people into political and military history

magnetaress
08-13-2022, 09:50 AM
This channel is neat, I've shared it before but thought I'd share it here too because this one is really cool. It's nice to get this guys cliffnotes for some strange ones.

UjrXHaDYb7w

I'm ready for this.

Jibartik
08-13-2022, 01:02 PM
I'm ready for this.

Me, this :o

DsxBvcgGTQM

Rethalis
08-21-2022, 03:09 AM
Finished up this "A Dream Deferred" by Shelby Steele

Shelby Steele is a black conservative who grew up during the civil rights movement.

Its a long form Essay so not exactly thrilling. Steele offers an interesting insight to why the USA cannot get rid of its racial problem and in fact makes the case that it is self-perpetuating.

UNSUNGHERO with your psychology stuff you might find this one interesting.

I chose these two excerpts from the book:

"Still, the reasoned intervention is an extremely compelling idea because of a factor that has nothing to do with rationality. When redemptive liberals make interventions the agents of change over people, they avail themselves to one of the most popular formulas for power in the twentieth century.

This formula always begins in the same way: A society runs into a problem that shames it. At the turn of the century, it was the inequities and backwardness of a society stuck in czarist-imposed feudalism against the backdrop of a rapidly modernizing western Europe, that brought shame to Russia. In Germany it was the grating defeat in World War One, the specter of a great power humiliated. In the United States it was the shame of three centuries of virulent racial oppression that contradicted every principle of the society supposedly stood for. These societies then conjured ideas-of-the-good that they hoped would redeem them from the shame. Against the inequities of feudalism Russia would have a "classless society." Against its postwar lowliness Germany would have Aryan supremacy. And against the shame of American racism there would be a new "multicultural," "inclusive" "diversity."

"In our age of the New Sovereignty the original grievances those having to do with fundamental questions such as basic rights, have in large measure been addressed, if not entirely redressed. But this is of little matter now. The sovereign fiefdoms are ends in themselves, providing career tracks and bases of power. This power tends to be used now mostly to defend and extend the fiefdom, often by exaggerating and exploiting secondary, amorphous, or largely symbolic complaints. In this way, the United States has increasingly become an uneasy federation of newly sovereign nations."

I would recommend it if you are interested in hearing a different perspective on racial issue in the USA other than the usual critical theory or "systemic structural theory" (the irony here is palpable if you read the book)

Rethalis
08-21-2022, 03:25 AM
Next up is "The Red Badge of Courage" by Stephen Crane. First published in 1895

Taking place during the American Civil War, the story is about a young private of the Union Army, Henry Fleming, who flees from the field of battle. Overcome with shame, he longs for a wound, a "red badge of courage," to counteract his cowardice. When his regiment once again faces the enemy, Henry acts as standard-bearer, who carries an American Flag. wiki page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Red_Badge_of_Courage)

Kaveh
08-26-2022, 07:03 PM
Half way through The Storm Before the Storm by Mike Duncan. About Rome as her institutions collapsed and she headed towards principate. Very good so far

robayon
08-26-2022, 07:27 PM
Do you listen to Mike Duncan's podcast, Revolutions? It's great stuff, too. We are working through the French Revolution now. I'd been reccommended his book but haven't ordered one yet.

Kaveh
08-26-2022, 11:34 PM
I’ve done the history of Rome in its entirety but not yet revolutions

Rethalis
09-02-2022, 09:09 PM
Been using a real dictionary lately for when I have been reading. It's really nice to not pickup my phone and google the word, advertisements yelling at you, notifications interrupting the flow. Its really quite nice. My dictionary is an American Heritage college edition Dictionary from 1980, so a little dated however I have an issue paying 80$ for a Flagship brand new dictionary. I am also pretty sure majority of the new words are meaningless garbage anyway.

unsunghero
09-02-2022, 10:30 PM
UNSUNGHERO with your psychology stuff you might find this one interesting.

I chose these two excerpts from the book:

"Still, the reasoned intervention is an extremely compelling idea because of a factor that has nothing to do with rationality. When redemptive liberals make interventions the agents of change over people, they avail themselves to one of the most popular formulas for power in the twentieth century.

This formula always begins in the same way: A society runs into a problem that shames it. At the turn of the century, it was the inequities and backwardness of a society stuck in czarist-imposed feudalism against the backdrop of a rapidly modernizing western Europe, that brought shame to Russia. In Germany it was the grating defeat in World War One, the specter of a great power humiliated. In the United States it was the shame of three centuries of virulent racial oppression that contradicted every principle of the society supposedly stood for. These societies then conjured ideas-of-the-good that they hoped would redeem them from the shame. Against the inequities of feudalism Russia would have a "classless society." Against its postwar lowliness Germany would have Aryan supremacy. And against the shame of American racism there would be a new "multicultural," "inclusive" "diversity."

"In our age of the New Sovereignty the original grievances those having to do with fundamental questions such as basic rights, have in large measure been addressed, if not entirely redressed. But this is of little matter now. The sovereign fiefdoms are ends in themselves, providing career tracks and bases of power. This power tends to be used now mostly to defend and extend the fiefdom, often by exaggerating and exploiting secondary, amorphous, or largely symbolic complaints. In this way, the United States has increasingly become an uneasy federation of newly sovereign nations."

I would recommend it if you are interested in hearing a different perspective on racial issue in the USA other than the usual critical theory or "systemic structural theory" (the irony here is palpable if you read the book)

Yeah that's interesting, shame is a powerful thing. Not to get too political but IMO the left decries when they are shamed in various forms, usually for things within their control, but definitely leans into the shame tactic politically. Ends justify the means kinda thing

What I like to do, but don't always do, in my job based on the presenting initial information is ask the person "do you have any particular expectations with our interaction?". The most common answer is no or I don't know. But sometimes you can tease out some really unrealistic stuff and nip that in the bud. And even if they don't know, the question is also a mini-suggestion to think of some

What is the expectation of any political ideology? What are parameters we can use for things being "fixed" or "better", and are those realistic? I feel just like individuals the most common responses are either I don't know or sometimes something completely unrealistic

unsunghero
09-02-2022, 10:33 PM
Hidden gem of casual easy-read fantasy from my childhood

Cyric the Mad God is one of my all time fav villains

Mblake1981
09-03-2022, 07:35 PM
Hidden gem of casual easy-read fantasy from my childhood

Cyric the Mad God is one of my all time fav villains

http://art.ofearna.us/brom.html

Rethalis
09-20-2022, 11:08 PM
Red badge of courage is finished. It was an ok book, would only really recommend it if you enjoy historical fiction or the civil war.

Now onto people of the earth

"housands of years ago, small hunting bands crossed the fragile land bridge linking the Eurasian continent to the Americas and discovered a land untouched by humankind. Over the centuries that followed, their descendents spread throughout this land. Bestselling authors and award-winning archaeologists W. Michael Gear and Kathleen O?Neal Gear bring the stories of these first North Americans to life in this magnificent, multi-volume saga. Set five thousand years ago and ranging through what is now Montana, Wyoming, northern Colorado, and Utah, People of the Earth follows the migration of the Uto-Aztecan people south out of Canada. It is the unforgettable tale of a woman torn between two peoples and two dreams, of the two men who love her and the third who must have her, and of the vision given to the peoples long ago by the spirit of the wolf."

Encroaching Death
09-21-2022, 04:56 PM
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/419-dP3kegL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Encroaching Death
09-21-2022, 04:57 PM
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/519mHNR-8WL._SL350_.jpg

Encroaching Death
09-21-2022, 04:58 PM
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41Nb13rnmxL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Encroaching Death
09-21-2022, 04:59 PM
Someone recommended this book. Anyone know if it's any good?

https://covers4.booksamillion.com/covers/bam/1/73/364/812/1733648127.jpg

Jibartik
09-21-2022, 06:23 PM
It's like 50 shades of grey but for 1960's style racism.

As someone who loves identifying antichrists, the white supremacists in it sure fit the bill.

Speaking of books they always find in domestic terrorist's collections, this is excellent:

https://i.imgur.com/Fqs0hGX.png

Rethalis
09-21-2022, 09:49 PM
Someone recommended this book. Anyone know if it's any good?

https://covers4.booksamillion.com/covers/bam/1/73/364/812/1733648127.jpg

This sounds like a good one, I like dystopian novels.

Jibartik
09-21-2022, 10:01 PM
It's about a race war in a super liberal 1990's america (written in the 60s) where he basically describes a crime ridden rape world where scared liberals afraid to be called racist have taken away everyones rights and then "the orginization" (a terrorist group of white supremists) begin a series of campaigns across the country, and

eventaully start a nuclear war, turning the main character into a suicide bomber after his failed initiation to the esoteric cult of white supremists.

Ironically the main character, and heros of the story hate conservatives almost more than they hate liberals, even going to the exctent to excecute one of the orginizations high ranking officers for being too conservative.

In the end it gets to the point where the organization seems straight up antichrist, even putting a mark on liberals foreheads after they take over, and the fans, or author dont seem to notice the fact that they made themselves the antichrist from revelation.

Reiwa
09-22-2022, 01:01 AM
This sounds like a good one, I like dystopian novels.

Don't encourage him. It weakens your case to endorse such malarkey. :)

Elfminster
09-22-2022, 05:57 AM
Is reading a spectator sport?

Encroaching Death
09-22-2022, 06:11 AM

What did I do?

My grandmother recommended that book to me. I thought it was about hunting or something.

Toxigen
09-22-2022, 06:48 AM
Next up is "The Red Badge of Courage" by Stephen Crane. First published in 1895

Taking place during the American Civil War, the story is about a young private of the Union Army, Henry Fleming, who flees from the field of battle. Overcome with shame, he longs for a wound, a "red badge of courage," to counteract his cowardice. When his regiment once again faces the enemy, Henry acts as standard-bearer, who carries an American Flag. wiki page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Red_Badge_of_Courage)

bookmarked, thanks

Rethalis
09-22-2022, 12:59 PM

I like his dystopia posts though too

Rethalis
09-24-2022, 10:05 PM
Been going through this set of books, the tabacco pipe automatically gives an aura of expertise. The books also have some pretty cool old techniques that have fallen out of favor.

Rethalis
09-24-2022, 10:12 PM

Kaveh
09-25-2022, 02:48 AM
Just finished Sinostan, a book about china’s ambitions in Central Asia. I wouldn’t call it an extremely interesting read, but as I feel that these people are our most capable and intelligent adversary, I thought it was worth a read. From that standpoint, it didn’t disappoint. It’s also interesting to see how the Central Asians welcomed China in as a hedge against Russia and how we haven’t really tried to gain influence in this region even though it’s important

It also briefly details how bad the situation is in Xinjiang and how its evolved since Xi came to power. That section isn’t long but it’s very enlightening. In addition, it also touches on what a shit hole Afghanistan is and is probably destined to remain.

Back to Roman history. Just started Sulla, The Last Republican

Jibartik
09-25-2022, 11:48 AM
Haha I was reading your post and thinking, man hes talking about these central asians, does he know they are the nazi asians? Then got to your Xinjang part.

You ever seen satalite photos of their cotton plantations? They bigger than the south. Right next to a prison for Uyghurs the size of the south.

Rethalis
09-26-2022, 03:28 PM
You got me interested. Remind me the name of this book

It's one book out of a DIY encyclopedia series. I'll check when I get home.

Rethalis
09-26-2022, 07:44 PM
It's one book out of a DIY encyclopedia series. I'll check when I get home.

. "mechanix how to do it encyclopedia" (https://www.ebay.com/itm/185443244713?chn=ps&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&amdata=enc%3A1ODxR2r5sSdyr_GnXJFmPow81&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-213727-13078-0&mkcid=2&itemid=185443244713&targetid=4581046489808870&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=&poi=&campaignid=418640322&mkgroupid=1239149842233245&rlsatarget=pla-4581046489808870&abcId=9300602&merchantid=51291&msclkid=58a5db51f27c15edc34ab863ca8b6e8f)

Kaveh
09-26-2022, 08:30 PM
Haha I was reading your post and thinking, man hes talking about these central asians, does he know they are the nazi asians? Then got to your Xinjang part.

You ever seen satalite photos of their cotton plantations? They bigger than the south. Right next to a prison for Uyghurs the size of the south.

I meant the Chinese were our most capable adversary

It was an interesting read for a variety of reasons. The picture they painted in xinjiang was essentially North Korea but more sophisticated and the closest thing on earth to an Orwellian society. For instance, you need a QR code to buy gas and the authorities monitor the amount you purchase and your car’s gas mileage and fuel tank size + odometer to make sure you aren’t buying gas to make a bomb

That’s just one example

Jibartik
09-26-2022, 08:36 PM
yeah sounds interesting - we're just behind them. My insurance is trying to sell me on this shit where they monitor my car for a discount when I prove im good at driving. I was like are you friggen nuts!?

Homesteaded
09-27-2022, 08:26 AM
Unabomber Manifesto

Not all good obviously but he was into some things.

Encroaching Death
09-27-2022, 08:42 AM
Unabomber Manifesto

Not all good obviously but he was into some things.

Seriously.

Everyone should read it.

I was banned from this forum for linking to it, so be careful.

Reiwa
09-29-2022, 12:22 PM
Guys, thank you very much. Thank you for expanding my list of must-read books.

I've wanted to read more for a long time but never had the time. More precisely, I read but only professional literature on medicine, my work in a company https://www.nursingpaper.com/our-services/nursing-care-plan-writing-service/ obliges me to do this. To write good articles, I must have a good command of medical terminology. But I promise myself by the end of the year to read more books that change my worldview.

👀

Kaveh
09-29-2022, 12:34 PM
Bots galore

Encroaching Death
09-29-2022, 03:41 PM
I love this blog post! So informatysional!

Want to ear n cash quick? Learn to wirte website conrent and code today. FREE CEALIS AND VIAGRA clirck here (http://farts.com)

Kaveh
09-29-2022, 08:45 PM
Hahah I lol’ed at what I assume is them typing in a Chinese accent

Rethalis
09-30-2022, 11:32 PM
Sometimes the dollar store will have some nice finds. Picked this one up the other day, brand new for a 1.25$

Rethalis
10-08-2022, 01:16 PM
Another craft I am going to take a crack at.

Homesteaded
10-23-2022, 07:58 PM
Anyone read the Bronze Age Mindset? I was just introduced to it and have a copy in the mail.

l0053g0053
10-23-2022, 08:28 PM
Anyone read the Bronze Age Mindset? I was just introduced to it and have a copy in the mail.

https://pdflake.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/Bronze-Age-Mindset-PDF.pdf

Why pay? Its like 100 pages, I'll read it tonight and give my opinion tomorrow.

Homesteaded
10-23-2022, 08:42 PM
https://pdflake.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/Bronze-Age-Mindset-PDF.pdf

Why pay? Its like 100 pages, I'll read it tonight and give my opinion tomorrow.

Fair. I already bought, can pass it on this way. Analog bro.

Swish
10-23-2022, 09:28 PM
They say Terry Pratchett is the most pirated author of all time.

l0053g0053
10-23-2022, 10:08 PM
Fair. I already bought, can pass it on this way. Analog bro.

Ok I am halfway through it. It is pretty bland so far. I would describe it as.

Disjointed attempt to utilize works of older philosophers in an , " In yo face " sort of writing style. My issue is each small chapter is a small rant that doesn't really go anywhere. " The bronze age mindset " has yet to manifest at all really. Its like someone trying to transcribe "Revolt against the modern world" into little snippets, maybe mixed with some Jungian attitudes, so calling on the " Great archetypes of old "

Hoping it gets better? I should finish it in a bit.

Homesteaded
10-23-2022, 10:25 PM
Ok I am halfway through it. It is pretty bland so far. I would describe it as.

Disjointed attempt to utilize works of older philosophers in an , " In yo face " sort of writing style. My issue is each small chapter is a small rant that doesn't really go anywhere. " The bronze age mindset " has yet to manifest at all really. Its like someone trying to transcribe "Revolt against the modern world" into little snippets, maybe mixed with some Jungian attitudes, so calling on the " Great archetypes of old "

Hoping it gets better? I should finish it in a bit.

You should look into the book and it's "author" It's meant to be written poorly. The theories as to why are only theories, but my understanding is the author is thought to be some high level wizard who is trying to mask his identity.

l0053g0053
10-23-2022, 10:30 PM
You should look into the book and it's "author" It's meant to be written poorly. The theories as to why are only theories, but my understanding is the author is thought to be some high level wizard who is trying to mask his identity.

It reads a lot like If I were to write a book in 20 minute chunks over the course of a month. The contents do not contain very much information I am not already privy too. A lot of it is surmised and not well thought out. The disjointed nature does not feel intentional to me.

Just keeps going with a new small tangent, maybe an anecdotal experience in a paragraph, then just continues on in this pattern over and over. I am waiting for anything good to come out of this.

Trump’s family knows the secrets of Tesla. They know many
other things:

The use of colons and semi-colons is constant.

I went to troll gay bars with Hitler mustache, and
outraged the patrons there with stories of how the National Socialists started out
as a gay-rights movement in a basement in Munich

The grandiose self inserts of being a nonchalant guy, hanging out in the seedy dark places cause I'm so cool and stuff.

I will finish it, but its more like someone's first attempt to write a book after reading a few philosophy books.

l0053g0053
10-24-2022, 07:17 PM
I always loved the statues of the kouroi. I can safely say that upon viewing
such statue by myself for three hours (someone let me in to look alone in
museum), I was able to ejaculate without touching myself. But I had no dirty or
untoward thoughts the entire time. This experience made me wonder…if it is
possible to ejaculate without touching yourself, is it possible also to will yourself
to death just the same, without doing anything?

That was one of the worst books I have ever read. Its literally a "50 rules of power" formula but written by someone around 19-24ish.

Its just a format of.

- Here is something
- IN history so and so believed this and did some things
- Run off tangent for a paragraph
REPEAT

There is no actual " Bronze age mindset " mentioned. It is just extrapolated as, " Pirates were cool and free, be like a pirate " Its Evola-lite. I was expecting something interesting in terms of some kind of " Return to tradition " mindset, thus "Bronze-age" yet, there is nothing really there.

Entire book can be surmised as

1. Things are rough
2. Imagine if you just didn't give a shit and were a pirate
3. Gotta go guys, end the is nigh!

I will say this. I see this garbage is selling for $16 bucks. I am going to write a book this year if this is what passes as literature.

Kaveh
10-24-2022, 08:31 PM
Thanks for shitting up another thread alphys. I’m shocked you can’t keep a job

l0053g0053
10-24-2022, 09:12 PM
pay attention to me

https://66.media.tumblr.com/0ec6baba23a1b42b15427559eb8d81cd/tumblr_inline_nuweq7QJtK1qb847a_500.gif

Basanos
10-24-2022, 09:18 PM
Hey fellas I am about to start The Hero With a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell tomorrow, it's often been recommended to me. If you would like to fight about something different

Homesteaded
10-24-2022, 09:32 PM
https://66.media.tumblr.com/0ec6baba23a1b42b15427559eb8d81cd/tumblr_inline_nuweq7QJtK1qb847a_500.gif

All-time great gif.

l0053g0053
10-24-2022, 09:38 PM
I enjoy the writing style and wonderful citations. Psychology and mythology make an entertaining read. It deserves a slower pace so I will get back with an opinion when I am finished. It might be a few days as I am pretty busy.

Nice pick. I am going to enjoy this ;3